• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, this seems really dumb, but why does the Quest seem more dependent of an online connection than it should be? Your app icons can fail to show up if you're not connected online which seems dumb given the portable nature of the thing. I brought mine to someone's house and half the icons weren't showing on my games which made it more annoying to look through. Not only that, but this also seems like a problem that has been around for awhile which seems to be the trend for problems. It doesn't seem like Oculus fixes things in a timely manner either.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, this seems really dumb, but why does the Quest seem more dependent of an online connection than it should be? Your app icons can fail to show up if you're not connected online which seems dumb given the portable nature of the thing. I brought mine to someone's house and half the icons weren't showing on my games which made it more annoying to look through. Not only that, but this also seems like a problem that has been around for awhile which seems to be the trend for problems. It doesn't seem like Oculus fixes things in a timely manner either.

Yeah. It would be nice if they would address broken things much quicker.

There was the losing tracking-kicked to home that took many months to fix.

The wifi mesh thing has been around for months.

And unfortunately, the new bug is you're prone to having your Quest lock up and restart if you're watching videos. This was introduced with Firmware 11 (same update as Link) and seems like some kind of memory leak or something. It's completely random and not remotely related to overheating or anything. People have reported issues with all of the various media apps. I've watched a good 90 movies with Skybox and never had any issues until FW11. I'm resigned to this taking months to fix:(

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
TIL that you can download old game builds off of Steam.

Why? Since Steam forces you to auto-update to play anyway? Because I noticed that Polybius will still launch outside Steam (just without the almost non-existent Steam features). So I downloaded the previous builds and now they're completely playable using Link and the Oculus runtime. They obviously have to launch outside Steam (if you don't want it auto-updating to the broken SteamVR version). And the second newest version is missing the Steam App ID file. So you need to copy that into the folder or it won't launch outside Steam (seems counter-intuitive, but it's the only version that won't launch outside Steam and that's because it's the only version without a Steam App ID file.

Polybius plays SO good with Link and the Oculus runtime. I do think ALVR probably was a little bit better than VD, but ALVR is such a mess graphically, it was pretty impossible for me to spot the floating arrows on the later levels. So I would crash because I couldn't see where I needed to be going to clear things. Link and Polybius is perfect.

I suspected that MAV1 is also broken. It screeches a lot, it just doesn't exhibit the terrible slo-down Polybius does. The launch version is broken (plays WAY too fast). The April version is intriguing. It plays quite a bit slower. But all of the screeching is gone. And it just looked prettier. I was noticing the particle effects a lot more. I need to boot it back up on my Vive to see what speed that plays at. Watching a youtube video of the PS4 version, I think I was noticing some screeching in that too. So I wonder if things are broken in that version too.

Such a mess. But these games are such arcade genius, it's worth the effort to get them running properly.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1-D_FE Are you using an xinput controller with Polybius or have you gotten it working with the touch controllers?

I might have to give it another try. Last time I tried the beta branch it didn't work well for me.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
1-D_FE Are you using an xinput controller with Polybius or have you gotten it working with the touch controllers?

I might have to give it another try. Last time I tried the beta branch it didn't work well for me.

Xinput. I saw Giles talking about how he was trying to get motion controls working, but couldn't figure out how to make it work. Honestly, there's bigger problems to solve anyways.

The new beta won't even start for me. The current version is unplayably broken and the newest beta crashes at launch. I truly fear for the launch state of Moose Life. If you want it playable, you need to buy it and download one of the older, pre-SteamVR builds.

If you do it, make sure you look at the Imgur pictures in the link. Because the actual command you type is much simpler than the Reddit instructions imply. You just type the download_depot and the three download codes. None of the other stuff.

And as I said, if you use the April 12th build (my choice), you need to copy in the AppID file. It's the only version that's missing that little .txt file.

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

I retract everything. It's back to the same non-sense. Even without Steam and using the Oculus SDK. This must be some bug in the Link software. Wonder if it can be isolated (or fixed if we ever get FW13. I guess we're not getting an update in January.)

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I retract everything. It's back to the same non-sense. Even without Steam and using the Oculus SDK. This must be some bug in the Link software. Wonder if it can be isolated (or fixed if we ever get FW13. I guess we're not getting an update in January.)

Bloody hell. Thanks for putting the work in on this. If you get it working consistently let me know.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone tried TItans of Space Plus yet? Not a game, per se, but a rather dazzling piece of edutainment. Highly recommended if you're even casually into astronomy.

Oct 25, 2017
I am new in here (and to VR). So I decided to go all-in on the Oculus Quest thanks especially to Link, but also reading about wireless VR streaming. Being able to run stuff natively on it will be great also for my girlfriend who won't want to bother with config stuff like I will, but will still want to just pick it up and play some things. It just seems to cover all the bases in one device.

Anyway, I am here because I don't know how to do any of that. Could you folks help? Let's invent a usage case that covers multiple bases at once:
Let's say I want to play Vader Immortal. But I don't want to play the native Quest version, I want to play the PC version running on my desktop for the higher graphics. (The game is cross-buy so I should already own the PC/Rift version too right?)

First, how do I do that using a Link cable?
Secondly, how do I do that if I want to do it through wireless streaming instead? I've seen mentions of some sort of virtual desktop and sideloading something?

1-D_FE I saw you mentioning some of your experiences with virtual desktop, maybe you have some wisdom on this topic.
I see an app called virtual desktop for VR headsets on steam, on the oculus store, and as a "sidequest" thing and I don't even know which one I should get or if that's even the right program people are talking about.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am new in here (and to VR). So I decided to go all-in on the Oculus Quest thanks especially to Link, but also reading about wireless VR streaming. Being able to run stuff natively on it will be great also for my girlfriend who won't want to bother with config stuff like I will, but will still want to just pick it up and play some things. It just seems to cover all the bases in one device.

Anyway, I am here because I don't know how to do any of that. Could you folk help? Let's invent a usage case that covers multiple bases at once:
Let's say I want to play Vader Immortal. But I don't want to play the native Quest version, I want to play the PC version running on my desktop for the higher graphics. (The game is cross-buy so I should already own the PC Rift version too right?)

First, how do I do that using a Link cable?
Secondly, how do I do that if I want to do it through wireless streaming instead? I've seen mentions of some sort of virtual desktop and sideloading something?

1-D_FE I saw you mentioning some of your experiences with virtual desktop, maybe you have some wisdom on this topic.
I see an app called virtual desktop for VR headsets on steam, on the oculus store, and as a "sidequest" thing and I don't even know which one I should get or if that's even the right program people are talking about.

I would personally stay away from wireless streaming, it's lower quality than using the Link, more annoying to set up, and has worse latency. It was nice to tide us over until an official solution, but Link is just better.

To use Link, you basically just grab an approved USB-C cable (Oculus' official cable is quite long and flexible, and works wonderfully), plug it into a USB 3.0/3.1 port on your PC, attach it to your headset, and start the Oculus app on your PC. From there, it will recognize the headset and you can navigate your PC library and launch apps in VR.

Oct 25, 2017
I would personally stay away from wireless streaming, it's lower quality than using the Link, more annoying to set up, and has worse latency. It was nice to tide us over until an official solution, but Link is just better.

To use Link, you basically just grab an approved USB-C cable (Oculus' official cable is quite long and flexible, and works wonderfully), plug it into a USB 3.0/3.1 port on your PC, attach it to your headset, and start the Oculus app on your PC. From there, it will recognize the headset and you can navigate your PC library and launch apps in VR.

Thanks. So Link is pretty straight forward, that's good to know. I've already got an approved cable on the way for that, which will be my primary usage.

Regarding wireless streaming, I'm already aware of the pitfalls and impressions from users. I'll usually be sticking to native or Link. But I still want to at least know how to do it so I could experiment with it myself. There are certain usage cases for us when it could come in handy if I could get it playable.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. So Link is pretty straight forward, that's good to know. I've already got an approved cable on the way for that, which will be my primary usage.

Regarding wireless streaming, I'm already aware of the pitfalls and impressions from users. I'll usually be sticking to native or Link. But I still want to at least know how to do it so I could experiment with it myself. There are certain usage cases for us when it could come in handy if I could get it playable.

You'd purchase and install Virtual Desktop in the Oculus Store, set up the Streaming application on your PC, and sideload the VR-streaming compatible client update from SideQuest. I believe the rest is pretty straightforward.

The dev is quite responsive and helpful.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Pistol Whip, Vader Immortal and Beat Saber without any cables is truly the thing that I expect from the future of VR. Stellar games/experiences without all the cumbersome clutter.

I don't really like the scoring system in Pistol Whip though. It feels random, accuracy seems also off. I would have much preferred if it was like a classic lightgun shooter where headshots give more points than body hits and you have a certain timeframe to kill enemies before getting hit or something like that. For now, I have a lot more fun just dual wielding and shooting the shit out of everything instead of going for points and kill "to the beat" (which feels way too random to me, but I suck at rhythm games anyway).

Oct 25, 2017
...and sideload the VR-streaming compatible client update from SideQuest.
This here? https://sidequestvr.com/#/app/16
Okay that last part was a crucial point I was missing, thanks.

That says it unlocks streaming SteamVR games, so I assume that means Steam library specifically.
And then by installing "revive" my oculus library shows up in steamvr, right? So then that's how I would play Vader Immortal PC wireless if I've go this right.

I did read that the dev of RD is working on playing oculus home games without needing steamvr/revive, so that will end up making things easier when it comes.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

VD is one of those apps that aren't cross buy. So if you want wireless streaming of PCVR games, you definitely want to buy the Quest version and then sideload the expansion pack from Sidequest.

Purchasing VD from the Rift store wouldn't allow you to wirelessly stream PCVR games. If you wanted to stream traditional games from your PC, I think there's something to be said for buying a second license from either Oculus or Steam for that purpose. I personally feel that for streaming traditional games, desktop VD (Rift or Steam version) + Link cable >> than the desktop streaming of the native Quest VD version. But that probably falls into YMMV because we've got a poster here who feels Link is the least smooth of all the options (and smoothness is why I feel Link cable + desktop VD is perferable for this scenario). It helps that I already owned VD on Steam from my Vive days. So it didn't cost me any additional money.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This here? https://sidequestvr.com/#/app/16
Okay that last part was a crucial point I was missing, thanks.

That says it unlocks streaming SteamVR games, so I assume that means Steam library specifically.
And then by installing "revive" my oculus library shows up in steamvr, right? So then that's how I would play Vader Immortal PC wireless if I've go this right.

I did read that the dev of RD is working on playing oculus home games without needing steamvr/revive, so that will end up making things easier when it comes.

I haven't tried linking it all the way to ReVive, but the SteamVR integration works all right.

I do think, though, that unless your wireless network performance is top-notch, you'll end up having a better experience, with better image quality, using Link.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is playing BoxVR everyday a legitimate form of exercise? I am starting to consider the idea of exercise in VR.

I was doing this daily for a couple months and thought it helped a lot. I did throw out my back because I decided to use weighted gloves like a moron, but I'm looking to get back into it soon.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Audica is up on the Quest store, is cross buy. Been playing the steam version, like that u don't have to stand to play it, def gonna double dip it, hate being tethered.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
BoxVR is legit exercise. I do powerlifting and cardio. For the last few years my cardio has been on an Airdyne. I'm selling my Airdyne because I've been doing BoxVR instead.

Audica is up on the Quest store, is cross buy. Been playing the steam version, like that u don't have to stand to play it, def gonna double dip it, hate being tethered.

Finally! I bought it cross buy on early access pricing but have been waiting for untethered to jump in deep.

Oct 25, 2017
VD is one of those apps that aren't cross buy. So if you want wireless streaming of PCVR games, you definitely want to buy the Quest version and then sideload the expansion pack from Sidequest.

Purchasing VD from the Rift store wouldn't allow you to wirelessly stream PCVR games. If you wanted to stream traditional games from your PC, I think there's something to be said for buying a second license from either Oculus or Steam for that purpose. I personally feel that for streaming traditional games, desktop VD (Rift or Steam version) + Link cable >> than the desktop streaming of the native Quest VD version. But that probably falls into YMMV because we've got a poster here who feels Link is the least smooth of all the options (and smoothness is why I feel Link cable + desktop VD is perferable for this scenario). It helps that I already owned VD on Steam from my Vive days. So it didn't cost me any additional money.

Great, thanks for your input!

I haven't tried linking it all the way to ReVive, but the SteamVR integration works all right.

I do think, though, that unless your wireless network performance is top-notch, you'll end up having a better experience, with better image quality, using Link.

Indeed, as I mentioned I'll primarily be playing linked or native. I just wanted to learn some ins and outs ahead of time for extra things I will later attempt. Thanks for your help.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Finally made the jump and picked up one of these. What are some good comfort options I need to look at in terms of breathability and glasses accommodations? I see a million different choices, not sure what's good or not.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Finally made the jump and picked up one of these. What are some good comfort options I need to look at in terms of breathability and glasses accommodations? I see a million different choices, not sure what's good or not.

If you're the only one using the quest, I highly recommend doing the 3d printed lens inserts and buying the $10 prescription lenses on zenni optical. Beyond it just making it more convenient to use, it pulls the lenses closer to your eyes as you don't need to use the glasses insert. The FOV was noticeably better for me.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
If you're the only one using the quest, I highly recommend doing the 3d printed lens inserts and buying the $10 prescription lenses on zenni optical. Beyond it just making it more convenient to use, it pulls the lenses closer to your eyes as you don't need to use the glasses insert. The FOV was noticeably better for me.
Done! Thanks for the heads up.

I need to find some decent Link cable alternatives, too. Those are wicked expensive.

jahepi

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
My Quest arrived this weekend and my first impressions are great so far, i bought the Amazon basics cable and a extension to have a 25 feet long cable, everything worked great except for one occasion when i was playing Raw Data and the cable link stopped responding.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Bloody hell. Thanks for putting the work in on this. If you get it working consistently let me know.

I'll report again tomorrow, but I think I may have cracked the code. Unless it was a complete fluke, and I don't think it is, I think I've stumbled onto how to get the April 12th Oculus version running properly. I even found a way to get it launching from Steam with leaderboards and achievements working.

The SteamVR version seems hopeless. I was able to get rid of the screeching sounds while shooting, but the player still moves way too slow versus some of the other stuff. Giles' issues with resolution and refresh rates seem to be in full effect again. Considering how little they push things, I wish they would embrace the 2010s and move to Unity for their engine.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll report again tomorrow, but I think I may have cracked the code. Unless it was a complete fluke, and I don't think it is, I think I've stumbled onto how to get the April 12th Oculus version running properly. I even found a way to get it launching from Steam with leaderboards and achievements working.

The SteamVR version seems hopeless. I was able to get rid of the screeching sounds while shooting, but the player still moves way too slow versus some of the other stuff. Giles' issues with resolution and refresh rates seem to be in full effect again. Considering how little they push things, I wish they would embrace the 2010s and move to Unity for their engine.

I can make an account at yakyak and post your documented solution once you're sure you have it all figured out. Not to be passive aggressive or anything ;)

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Playing Pistol Whip, Vader Immortal and Beat Saber without any cables is truly the thing that I expect from the future of VR. Stellar games/experiences without all the cumbersome clutter.

I don't really like the scoring system in Pistol Whip though. It feels random, accuracy seems also off. I would have much preferred if it was like a classic lightgun shooter where headshots give more points than body hits and you have a certain timeframe to kill enemies before getting hit or something like that. For now, I have a lot more fun just dual wielding and shooting the shit out of everything instead of going for points and kill "to the beat" (which feels way too random to me, but I suck at rhythm games anyway).
You see the visuals pulsate once a second? You get 4 evenly-spaced beats per pulse to get a max timing score.

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
My Quest arrived this weekend and my first impressions are great so far, i bought the Amazon basics cable and a extension to have a 25 feet long cable, everything worked great except for one occasion when i was playing Raw Data and the cable link stopped responding.
Can you link me to the amazon cables and extension you bought? I bought the party link one but seems to disconnect randomly at times and really short cable and playing Boneworks having major stuttering.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a definitive best alternative to the Link cable? Something like this looks ace for a 10-footer https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oculus-Que...ght-Angle-to-USB-A-Charging-Cord/254452762125

What about 15 feet? Something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083355P7...colid=2938HKXAQPH6T&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Any solid active extender/repeater combos? I have no idea what I'm doing haha.

OK, here are the cables I have. They're a bit longer than what you're asking for, but they definitely work. I've played everything without lag or frame drops.

This is an active repeater cable. I have the 32ft. I assume, but can't confirm, that the 15ft would work just as well.

From that, I run this cable. Looks like Gold is the only color in stock right now, but who cares about colors when you're in VR.

And I run that into my headset via this.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
OK, here are the cables I have. They're a bit longer than what you're asking for, but they definitely work. I've played everything without lag or frame drops.

This is an active repeater cable. I have the 32ft. I assume, but can't confirm, that the 15ft would work just as well.

From that, I run this cable. Looks like Gold is the only color in stock right now, but who cares about colors when you're in VR.

Awesome, thank you! I'll try the 15ft repeater cable. My apartment isn't super spacious.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Heads up....

For those looking for the official Oculus Link Cable...Best Buy has them in-stock (web site) right now. I placed my order via Oculus's Site on Jan. 16th and my ETA was Feb. 24th. Amazon has not had them and 3rd party sellers are selling them for upwards of $180!!!! But Best Buy's Web Site has them right now with various shipping times/prices. I just ordered mine and will be here this Friday!!!

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Just got my DAS in today from the Vive store. The right headphone seems broken. The audio is super quiet that comes out of it compared to the left. Tested it on the quest, and my iphone to no avail. Starting the RMA process now. It's definitely more comfortable, haven't attached the 10k battery yet either.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
So, thanks to the anker powerline usb c 3.0 cable being much, much cheaper then the oculus link one, I'm going to jump into pcvr this weekend. Anyone know if the cable charges the quest whilst it is plugged in the pc? I know the link cable does but not sure if the anker one does.

Oh and my processor is under the requirements listed on the oculus page.

It's a haswell i5, but clocked at 3.2 ghz. I wont be upgrading the processor until next year. After the new ryzen processors and AMD gpus are out.

Reading up on OCing, I can boost the gtx 970 by another 14-16%. It was factory over clocked out of the box, it being an EVGA model.

The gtx 970 I have can be changed with a used amd rx 580 to tide over my vr needs until next year. However is there much point in doing so because of my i5?

Last edited:

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I believe this is because the "Library" and various other menus are just web pages, the same as the Oculus mobile companion app pings. Coupled with a seemingly very aggressive cache cleaning setting.

Pros are that developers can push updates to product listings, icons, descriptions etc. without a client update. But it obv. doesn't work ideally when you're not online as you say due to the cache not being kept very well.

jahepi

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico

I confirm that the 15ft repeater cable works great.

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
My official oculus link cable shipped and charged my card last night. ordered it 2 weeks ago since wanted to make sure I had a long cable that worked for sure. Totally forgot I ordered it since it was back ordered, 80 bucks is a lot for a cable😂 but oh well lol.

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what percentage of people use the Quest for just what it is as opposed to using it with Link to extend out? It feels like this thread and Reddit have so many Link related posts that it's almost like people aren't really too bothered about the Quest library on its own.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder what percentage of people use the Quest for just what it is as opposed to using it with Link to extend out? It feels like this thread and Reddit have so many Link related posts that it's almost like people aren't really too bothered about the Quest library on its own.

I play 80% native Quest, 20% Link. Untethered is so good.

Remember, native Quest 'just works'. Link can be fiddly to get working so there will be way more discussion about that.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

After being utterly infuriated by Polybius and attempts at getting Visual Pinball working in VR, I had a nice chill session of a 3D movie, a round of Racket NX, a round of Racket Fury, and a song of Beat Saber. It's easy to forget just how awesome native Quest is at quickly loading stuff up and just working. No 50 step rain dances, just quick and simple. That's pretty awesome. And why I fell in love with the Quest to begin with.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Native Quest is wonderful. I've been playing BoxVR, Titans of Space, Beat Saber, Racket NX on it. Just picked up Fisherman's Tale and Pistol Whip.

Link is great for games that don't have a native Quest version, or for games where there's a significant technical advantage to playing on PC and full untethered movement is less of an advantage.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
PCVR has some large games like Stormland and Asgard's Wrath where you need to put in proper time. The Oculus Quest discomfort becomes a major issue playing these games for me. When you consider that aspect + 72hz + tethered then it looses its appeal quickly as a double-up device when you actually do get down to it. For mobile Beat Saber tetherless however that discomfort is not nearly as prevalent as you can just lift off the headset between every piecemeal stint. But it's a major shame the Oculus Quest is not well designed for long-term play, especially considering all the effort behind its technical achievements.
If you are serious about PCVR you should consider some of the homebrewed Quest customization or just altogether go for dedicated PC headset with a crown-mount (Rift S) or similar (Index) imo.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Doh. Finally figured out how to raise the table in Racket Fury. A little easier when you're not squatting to be a good height. The bot who was destroying me isn't nearly as difficult anymore.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Heads up....

For those looking for the official Oculus Link Cable...Best Buy has them in-stock (web site) right now. I placed my order via Oculus's Site on Jan. 16th and my ETA was Feb. 24th. Amazon has not had them and 3rd party sellers are selling them for upwards of $180!!!! But Best Buy's Web Site has them right now with various shipping times/prices. I just ordered mine and will be here this Friday!!!

Thanks for this