• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Your welcome. I just got delivery shipping info and i should have my cable sometime tomorrow. Looking forward to testing it out. I have several VR games on Steam to test it with.
Yeah, I get mine next week. I have a $20 one from amazon which works great. But the image quality is a bit muddy. I want to try with the official cable before trying to get an index or rift

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
My refurbished right controller is getting delivered today. It'll be the first time I actually get to use the Quest with two hands. Stoked.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I can make an account at yakyak and post your documented solution once you're sure you have it all figured out. Not to be passive aggressive or anything ;)

I'm such a sad panda. Giles wrecked things even more than I ever imagined. Even the Vive version running SteamVR is horribly broken. The ship physics are not polling controller inputs at the proper rate and you're stuck in mud. It's impossible to hit many gates because of how slowly you traverse left/right.

This is how the game is supposed to be played. You can see in level 2 how the ships quickly zips around the tube. I can literally count in seconds how long it would take me to make a full 360 degree loop.

I've never owned a PS4. So I didn't own the PS4 version. And when it launched, it only worked with Oculus (and Giles took a year to patch it). So my frame of reference was very limited and I didn't realize just how poorly it played on my Vive. On the couple times I got it to work on the Link using the older Oculus build (without static and the proper ship controls), it plays amazing. It's mesmorizing this method. When the ship has it control physics completely broken, I'd rate the game a 2 out of 10 at best. It's not remotely the same game and it's just plain bad.

There's also issues with MAV1 (although it's still fun and playable in the current semi-broken state).

Think I'm going to tell Youtube to stop putting Minter videos into my feed. The new Moose Live video dropped today and it looked amazing. But I know it's not going to work on my system, so I should just try and erase it from my existence already:( It makes me sad that Minter creates awesomeness at insane levels, and Giles just bumbles around on the back end of things.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Is this in the oculus or steam menu? Can you super sample? I won't be able to use it till monday

It's been answered, but if you're going to super sample with the Oculus debug tool, I'd set my SteamVR settings to not super sample anything. These settings will multiply and can quickly kill performance if you're running a SteamVR games that's got two SS multipliers going on.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Think I'm going to tell Youtube to stop putting Minter videos into my feed. The new Moose Live video dropped today and it looked amazing. But I know it's not going to work on my system, so I should just try and erase it from my existence already:( It makes me sad that Minter creates awesomeness at insane levels, and Giles just bumbles around on the back end of things.

I think Moose Live will be fine because the guys have a Quest. But I'll wait and see before buying.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I think Moose Live will be fine because the guys have a Quest. But I'll wait and see before buying.

I don't think the problems are universal, though. I don't think they could have possibly released the Polybius patch the way it did unless it played properly on their setup. I know it can, on occasion, play correctly on mine. So I suspect it's something mysterious about configs.

Maybe Moose Life is actually running on the new engine and it's addressed. But I kind of thought the Polybius beta was running on that, and I flat out crash trying to launch it. Which definitely scares me.

Actually, Giles commented about whether physics were still tied to frame rate on the Steam forums:

Giles said:
Hi,
quick reply it still is tied to the frame rate but should handle it correctly.

It would be far too long to explain "why our stuff is so and can't be easily changed".

Anyway "all this will change" when I'll finally start "the new enterprise" which is going to be a complete rework of our "core engine".

Which also means it's going to take "a bit of experimentation and test" to see where exactly to get, hopefully I want to "push to the extreme limits" the sort of optimisation/stuff we can do.

This is really anyway - hopefully - "the last OpenGL thing I am going to do" it's .. not really the best thing to do this kind of stuff given that nowadays there seems to be better technologies.

The problem with our logic is not at all the 144/120/whatever .. as long as the info ( rate ) that the system gives me "it's real" and "it's not a fake" the problem in Windows and certain cases was that the info supplied was not the real thing.

Anyway maybe later on I'll do a little Periscope thing, keep an eye on Jeff's twitter.

Like I said, these are problems that have existed since at least Tempest 4000 (and I think even the Space Giraffe days). Ironically, I never had resolution/refresh issues with any of those games even though I played on a HRR monitor.

I do think the last bolded part is interesting. Because back when I thought I found the key to fixing it, it was from selecting a non-existent monitor resolution. My monitor is 1920X1080@144hz. 3D shaders with Cemu only work if your render resolution is the same as your display resolution. So in the past, I've created custom resolutions like 2560X1440 and set my monitor to these to get higher render resolutions with stereo 3D and reshade. I accidently set the Polybius resolution to 2560X1440 @ 100hz in the launcher and that's what allowed it to work that day. It's even what allowed the SteamVR version to play without the crackle sounds (though slo-down was still there). And switching between 1080p & the dummy 1440p would alternate between working properly and not. But the next day, with a reboot, that trick no longer worked.

Maybe Windows is completely to blame. I don't know. But all the other engines have figured out how not to get hosed by this problem. So I hope they truly build an engine that bypasses the problems.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My DAS arrives tomorrow. Someone mentioned a 3D printed piece that really helps attach/secure it. Can't remember if that was here or /oculusquest

Anyone with a DAS know what I'm talking about?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
My DAS arrives tomorrow. Someone mentioned a 3D printed piece that really helps attach/secure it. Can't remember if that was here or /oculusquest

Anyone with a DAS know what I'm talking about?
Yeah, some people printed a D ring that attaches to the top. The strap that comes with the DAS is not long enough. So what people do is they get some velcro 1" wide and run a small loop of Velcro from the top of the QUEST where the old straps connects to the headset. You then have a "D" ring where you loop about 3-4" if Velcro then on the other side of the "D" ring you connect the strap from the DAS.

Search google for video to install. Took me about 20 min total to get mine hooked up. Works really well. I did not use 3d printed stuff, I just ordered a D ring from Amazon and the Velcro.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some people printed a D ring that attaches to the top. The strap that comes with the DAS is not long enough. So what people do is they get some velcro 1" wide and run a small loop of Velcro from the top of the QUEST where the old straps connects to the headset. You then have a "D" ring where you loop about 3-4" if Velcro then on the other side of the "D" ring you connect the strap from the DAS.

Search google for video to install. Took me about 20 min total to get mine hooked up. Works really well. I did not use 3d printed stuff, I just ordered a D ring from Amazon and the Velcro.

There's a new 3D model of a part that snaps onto the two ends to the headset as well. It's all snap fit and doesn't require any use of Velcro. I have it printed, and it works fantastic. I can find the link in a bit.

Had to return my DAS for a replacement due to audio issues....slow process for sure.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
There's a new 3D model of a part that snaps onto the two ends to the headset as well. It's all snap fit and doesn't require any use of Velcro. I have it printed, and it works fantastic. I can find the link in a bit.

Had to return my DAS for a replacement due to audio issues....slow process for sure.
The only issue I have with the DAS is that the Right speaker keeps popping up. The left is perfect. I do have a big head, but the left never moves once it is snapped in place, but the right one is constantly popping up. I have to see if I can figure out how to make it stop. Outside of that it works great and is way more comfortable than the original strap.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I just sold about 8 headsets to people who were 45 to 70. Some saw the the exercise potential but it was a trip seeing all the people play Richies plank experience.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

That link would be awesome. Thank you!

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Had a few minutes to set this up on my lunch break and maaaan the wireless freedom is really nice.

I got to play just one level of Robo Recall but boy the graphical downgrade is obvious. Built in audio is terrible, too. Way too quiet. No biggie though, I'll just try out headphones. Can't wait to try out link later tonight!

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
I am takin' my first leap into VR aside from a minor dalliance with Google Cardboard! Ordered one of these a few days ago and it should get here today. Really hyped to try Vader, Pistol Whip, Virtual Boy games, and watch a movie on a giant fake screen.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am takin' my first leap into VR aside from a minor dalliance with Google Cardboard! Ordered one of these a few days ago and it should get here today. Really hyped to try Vader, Pistol Whip, Virtual Boy games, and watch a movie on a giant fake screen.

You're gonna love it.

I also recommend TItans of Space if you're at all into astronomy. It's more an educational app, but it makes such amazing use of VR that it's one of the first things I show people.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna love it.

I also recommend TItans of Space if you're at all into astronomy. It's more an educational app, but it makes such amazing use of VR that it's one of the first things I show people.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll add it to my wishlist. I'm sure I'll want to try more of the educational/informative apps too in addition to just games.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm about to check out these 13.0 improvements. I've had a number of issues getting link going without rebooting both PC and Quest, and often run into problems if I accidentally let the Quest sleep while connected via link. Being able to recenter and launch quest from the menu sounds good too.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I'm about to check out these 13.0 improvements. I've had a number of issues getting link going without rebooting both PC and Quest, and often run into problems if I accidentally let the Quest sleep while connected via link. Being able to recenter and launch quest from the menu sounds good too.

I experienced a lot of issues getting link to connect consistently and also resorted to reboots, reconnecting to different ports etc. When it was connected it worked fine but getting the initial prompt would be a nightmare. Since I changed motherboard recently it now works 100% as you would expect/hope it would. Pretty sure it is all in the USB chip or drivers on the mobo. My old one was a Gigabyte board for your reference.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I experienced a lot of issues getting link to connect consistently and also resorted to reboots, reconnecting to different ports etc. When it was connected it worked fine but getting the initial prompt would be a nightmare. Since I changed motherboard recently it now works 100% as you would expect/hope it would. Pretty sure it is all in the USB chip or drivers on the mobo. My old one was a Gigabyte board for your reference.
No issues getting the prompt, but I can't check out the improvements anyway, cause the beta branch isn't compatible with the 13.0 Quest firmware that rolled out to me, and neither is v12.0. They really need to sort out that problem.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Having some weird issues with link. Most games seem to work well but others, not so much. Echo Arena def doesn't run at 72 fps, even though GPU usage tops out at like 80 percent and I could easily run it on the OG rift (I have a 1080 and i7). I'll keep fiddling with it later.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm trying to play with my Oculus Quest in Link mode for the first time in a few days... I see that the headset has updated (I see new options in the menu)...

When I look at the app in Windows I have a red banner telling me that I need to update it but when I click "Update Now" nothing happens...

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
So I'm trying to play with my Oculus Quest in Link mode for the first time in a few days... I see that the headset has updated (I see new options in the menu)...

When I look at the app in Windows I have a red banner telling me that I need to update it but when I click "Update Now" nothing happens...
Yeah. This is a problem they haven't resolved. They roll out software but it's not synced. So until you get the latest released rolled out to you on PC you can't use link. Last couple of times entering the beta branch of the PC version was a viable work around but this time it isn't working for me and a lot of others.

No Saints and Sinners for me tonight.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. This is a problem they haven't resolved. They roll out software but it's not synced. So until you get the latest released rolled out to you on PC you can't use link. Last couple of times entering the beta branch of the PC version was a viable work around but this time it isn't working for me and a lot of others.

I don't understand why they don't have these releases synced yet. I mean, I do, but it feels like it should be a priority to release both simultaneously. It's just weird that they list improvements to Link functionality, and Link currently doesn't even work.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I ran into that issue with the last update but this time the update 13 appears to be available on both PC and the headset... The HMD already updated but now I could get the update to work on the PC app...

I ended up going through the control panel and "Repair" the installation and it re-downloaded the app and it's installing now so I'll know soon enough if that fixed it.

Also... Why the fuck is their apps 9gb!? It makes no sense.

Edit: Well the repair re-installed Version 12....

Man... Oculus' software really fucking sucks

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yeah I ran into that issue with the last update but this time the update 13 appears to be available on both PC and the headset... The HMD already updated but now I could get the update to work on the PC app...

I ended up going through the control panel and "Repair" the installation and it re-downloaded the app and it's installing now so I'll know soon enough if that fixed it.

Unfortunately you've just got to wait for 13 to roll out to you. Could take a few days. I hope for both of us it happens soon.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

Happened the first time I installed the Oculus software for link. 10GB and the screen where some click box was, was broken. So I couldn't click. Exit out and restart. You need to repair. Okay. 10GB download. Then it's the same thing. Whoops. Tells me to contact support. So I deleted all the files I could find and gave it a third 10GB download. Luckily it worked that time.

I still don't appreciate why it mucks with the Windows power settings and won't turn it back. Or why it constantly takes over my audio on my PC (when VR isn't even connected) and I have to constantly repair Windows audio to get sound to my monitor again. It doesn't feel like these are minor gripes.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
It's unacceptable to stagger the release of dependent applications. That's some amateur shit right there.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I have the latest software and cannot use link. This is extremely frustrating. I cant downgrade my quest so having the old PC software is worthless. I spent 2 hours and nothing

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I can confirm that he workaround posted on reddit for 14.0 worked for me (lowering the encoding resolution down a bit). None of that changes that this is a situation that needs to end already. Not being able to play stuff I paid for because of stuff like this isn't on.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
So Link still works for me without needing to do the encoding res change, on v13 on Quest while in the public test channel on the desktop app, apparently this is a workaround as well according to main update thread on r/oculusquest, but ofc with the clusterfuck that is the currently implemented janky ass update system I'm sure this is a ymmv situation. Maybe a certain set of us just got lucky. I do have a "A Quest software update is recommended" message in blue at the top of the desktop app and obviously this is the way it should work with these version discrepancies, so you can actually still use Link even if the versions don't align.

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For someone like me that never tried before VR this thing is amazing, I'm having a blast even with simple demos and the Star Wars game. So much potential, I wonder why the Oculus Quest is still not a mass success, it's so easy to use, setup and play. Plus it's the first thing for me from the 3d jump to WOW me in so long. It's just so unreal!

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
I played the Superhot VR demo last night and it was like wow, reachin up in mid air to grab a gun then spinning around and shooting, this is like the promise of what Wii could have been along with the wild immersion of the headset, it really does feel like the freshest game experience I have had in years and years and years.