• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
For someone like me that never tried before VR this thing is amazing, I'm having a blast even with simple demos and the Star Wars game. So much potential, I wonder why the Oculus Quest is still not a mass success, it's so easy to use, setup and play. Plus it's the first thing for me from the 3d jump to WOW me in so long. It's just so unreal!

£400 is a lot of money, it's a hard sell to most people.

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
64GB version is sold out in Europe. 128GB will probably soon follow (it's already unavailable in the US). If you consider buying a Quest, grab one now, as this coronavirus thing is breaking supply chains from China.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Finally recieved my Quest two days ago. Getting that thing was an ordeal and I'm glad I don't have to do it again.

Now that I've played a bunch with it I can safely say that, as an experience, this definitely trumps the PSVR in almost all ways. Sure the graphics are nowhere near as good but the fact that the tracking isn't some Frankenstein's monster solution makes even the simplest games that much nicer to play. It's just a shame that my damn house doesn't really have anywhere for me to do a proper roomscale experience; either the ceiling is too short, the room's too small or there's a fragile light in the way that my 6 foot 2 ass will inevitably hit.

Right now I really do wish that there was a legal way to get custom songs in Beat Saber onto the Quest. There's some decent songs in the base game but I really want to play some of the songs that I've seen on Youtube and elsewhere; Mr Blue Sky especially is something that I'm dying to try out. However there doesn't seem to be any way of getting those songs on there without illegally downloading them, and that really sucks :(

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a shame that my damn house doesn't really have anywhere for me to do a proper roomscale experience; either the ceiling is too short, the room's too small or there's a fragile light in the way that my 6 foot 2 ass will inevitably hit.
Try going outside in your backyard.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So has anyone here tried out Fallout 4 VR with the Link cable? That's the one game I'm really intrigued to try out if I ever buy a new PC but I've heard that it's not that well-optimised and has no official Oculus (Rift or Quest+Link) support.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I switched to the Test branch in the Oculus Windows app which updated it to v14 and it appears to be working fine with my v13 headset... I just played 30min of Saints and Sinners without any issues.

VTOL VR is getting stuck in the initial load but I'm on the test branch for that game specifically and they released an update today so it's very possible that it's a bug completely unrelelated to the whole Oculus clusterfuck.

Edit: Ah, yup... Just checked the VTOL Discord and a bunch of people are talking about getting stuck in the same loading screen as I do with the new test build from today so false alarm on that one.

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
here is a cool VR games bundle for $13 bucks I got gorn, superhot, budget cuts, space private trainer and couple of other games. Their is 13 days left to buy! Good deal for me since I was about to buy gorn anyways lol games come steam cd key code via email.

www.humblebundle.com

Humble VR Bundle

There’s nothing virtual about this reality. Explore a whole new world in our newest bundle!

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
here is a cool VR games bundle for $13 bucks I got gorn, superhot, budget cuts, space private trainer and couple of other games. Their is 13 days left to buy! Good deal for me since I was about to buy gorn anyways lol games come steam cd key code via email.

www.humblebundle.com

Humble VR Bundle

There’s nothing virtual about this reality. Explore a whole new world in our newest bundle!

Very cool! Do you know how redemption for the VR games work? I assume I need to sideload them all?

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Only steam keys on this one. You'd need to use the Link cable.
Yeah unfortunately these aren't games for Quest and you can only play them if you have a strong PC that's compatible with Link and you tether... or maybe set up a wireless virtual desktop type arrangement. At least as I understand it.

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah unfortunately these aren't games for Quest and you can only play them if you have a strong PC that's compatible with Link and you tether... or maybe set up a wireless virtual desktop type arrangement. At least as I understand it.
Yeah true forgot to mention that, but virtual desktop works pretty well played Boneworks and gorn for hours with no stuttering or problems like the link did for me lol

Deleted member 18502

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah true forgot to mention that, but virtual desktop works pretty well played Boneworks and gorn for hours with no stuttering or problems like the link did for me lol

I have desktop manager, so I think I'll give it a go.

I've not used it for steam yet, do you have to do go through a mapping exercise for the controllers? How's that process?

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really love my Oculus quest but I must admit at the moment I feel not at comfort at all with anything except teleporting around when it comes to movement around 3d space. There's something weird happening in me not tied to possible motion sickness. I realize now this might be the greatest limit of this tech and I'm not sure can be solved with better technology in the future. Or not?

I'm currently playing Beat Saber (fantastic), Star Wars, Red Matter and Robo Recall btw.

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
I really love my Oculus quest but I must admit at the moment I feel not at comfort at all with anything except teleporting around when it comes to movement around 3d space. There's something weird happening in me not tied to possible motion sickness. I realize now this might be the greatest limit of this tech and I'm not sure can be solved with better technology in the future. Or not?

I'm currently playing Beat Saber (fantastic), Star Wars, Red Matter and Robo Recall btw.
I feel the same way kinda.. it's not where I gotta completely stop playing but the first time I played rec room and walking around. Felt weird to my eyes and made me weak in my knees like I should sit down. It's odd for sure, starting to get used to more moving slowly and using my head to look around more

Simplex

Oct 27, 2017
You will eventually get used to it, just like humanity got used to sail on boats, travel in moving vehicels while staying still, etc.
Just never ever try to "power through". Stop immediately on the first onset of feeling funky.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018

You 100% get more used to it and some games handle it way better than others. I thought it was going to be a deal breaker for any game with free movement as I got reasonably uncomfortable when first trying them however now it isn't an issue for me & I can play something like Saint's and Sinners for hours.

I found that 'halfway' games that have you pulling yourself forward with your arms such as Lone Echo are great at getting you more acclimatised to it.

optimus

Banned
Feb 5, 2020
You 100% get more used to it and some games handle it way better than others. I thought it was going to be a deal breaker for any game with free movement as I got reasonably uncomfortable when first trying them however now it isn't an issue for me & I can play something like Saint's and Sinners for hours.

I found that 'halfway' games that have you pulling yourself forward with your arms such as Lone Echo are great at getting you more acclimatised to it.

Free movement means just walking around in a VR space? I find it just brilliant. Its incredible how you're just transported into another world.

Quest has really made me a believer in VR and its future.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Free movement means just walking around in a VR space? I find it just brilliant. Its incredible how you're just transported into another world.

Quest has really made me a believer in VR and its future.
People use quite a few VR terms loosely, so I see your confusion. shodgson8 was talking about smooth locomotion, aka traditional thumbstick movement. The movement feels "freeing" compared to teleport.

What you're describing is roomscale, where you genuinely physically move around a room to move in the VR space.

Deleted member 51306

Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I just got my Quest and I love it. I have a question though. I've tried looking online but can't find very much that's helpful. I know using Shadow pc and Virtual desktop you can play steam vr games on quest which is great and I plan on trying out. The problem is the oculus exclusive games aren't there. Is there anyway using shadow pc to get Stormland, Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath to be playable on Quest or is it just not in the cards at the moment?

Oct 25, 2017
I just got my Quest and I love it. I have a question though. I've tried looking online but can't find very much that's helpful. I know using Shadow pc and Virtual desktop you can play steam vr games on quest which is great and I plan on trying out. The problem is the oculus exclusive games aren't there. Is there anyway using shadow pc to get Stormland, Lone Echo and Asgard's Wrath to be playable on Quest or is it just not in the cards at the moment?

You can use Revive to run Oculus games through Steam VR which will work for streaming via Virtual Desktop.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying the quest, Asgard's Wrath and Moss are what I'm playing at the moment and both are incredible.

The weight of it isn't doing great things to my shoulders and I do feel like it has to be super tight on my face to be comfortable. Any tips for that?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Enjoying the quest, Asgard's Wrath and Moss are what I'm playing at the moment and both are incredible.

The weight of it isn't doing great things to my shoulders and I do feel like it has to be super tight on my face to be comfortable. Any tips for that?

Moss is great! Might just about be my favourite VR game still. I can only speak for my own experience but I would thoroughly recommend something like this for comfort: https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/quest-pro-enthusiast-kit

I found that a facial foam change did very little (I got the VRCover replacement but went back to the stock foam). In my opinion you either want one or multiple of the following:
  1. Something that goes over the head supporting the quest and placing more of the weight on the top of your head - there are cheaper versions than the Studioform one I linked but something like that would do the trick.
  2. A counter weight wrap or battery pack to pull more of the weight behind the bump on your skull.
  3. Something to pad the back of the strap...I know VRCover produce one of these, the linked Studioform counterweight also adds padding to the back strap.
Before I had the above I was playing Moss in 20 min chunks due to how uncomfortable it became however I can now play things indefinitely (or more often...until my legs get tired). It's a pain you have to spend more to make these alterations but it worth it to get more enjoyment and a better experience.

xm0It3A.jpg
WA5prby.jpg

Last edited:

optimus

Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I wonder when the next Quest will come out. Any chance of this year?

There have been three new generations of Snapdragon since the 835, with performance increases of around 25%, 20% and 25% over each previous generation. The 865 is far faster and more advanced than the 835.

A quest with the lastest mobile chips should be able to play a lot more stuff.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when the next Quest will come out. Any chance of this year?

There have been three new generations of Snapdragon since the 835, with performance increases of around 25%, 20% and 25% over each previous generation. The 865 is far faster and more advanced than the 835.

A quest with the lastest mobile chips should be able to play a lot more stuff.

and support displaylink for proper video out for Oculus link without compression

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Finally recieved my Quest two days ago. Getting that thing was an ordeal and I'm glad I don't have to do it again.

Now that I've played a bunch with it I can safely say that, as an experience, this definitely trumps the PSVR in almost all ways. Sure the graphics are nowhere near as good but the fact that the tracking isn't some Frankenstein's monster solution makes even the simplest games that much nicer to play. It's just a shame that my damn house doesn't really have anywhere for me to do a proper roomscale experience; either the ceiling is too short, the room's too small or there's a fragile light in the way that my 6 foot 2 ass will inevitably hit.

Right now I really do wish that there was a legal way to get custom songs in Beat Saber onto the Quest. There's some decent songs in the base game but I really want to play some of the songs that I've seen on Youtube and elsewhere; Mr Blue Sky especially is something that I'm dying to try out. However there doesn't seem to be any way of getting those songs on there without illegally downloading them, and that really sucks :(

IMO if you have a spotify subscription or similar with the track available, or you own the CD/mp3 - then downloading a version with beatmaps attached should be fine.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I got to finally try Oculus Link yesterday since my Anker cable came in and I LOVE IT. It does have a few hiccups here and there, but all-in-all I am truly impressed with this advanced feature.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Moss is great! Might just about be my favourite VR game still. I can only speak for my own experience but I would thoroughly recommend something like this for comfort: https://www.studioformcreative.com/product-page/quest-pro-enthusiast-kit

I found that a facial foam change did very little (I got the VRCover replacement but went back to the stock foam). In my opinion you either want one or multiple of the following:
  1. Something that goes over the head supporting the quest and placing more of the weight on the top of your head - there are cheaper versions than the Studioform one I linked but something like that would do the trick.
  2. A counter weight wrap or battery pack to pull more of the weight behind the bump on your skull.
  3. Something to pad the back of the strap...I know VRCover produce one of these, the linked Studioform counterweight also adds padding to the back strap.
Before I had the above I was playing Moss in 20 min chunks due to how uncomfortable it became however I can now play things indefinitely (or more often...until my legs get tired). It's a pain you have to spend more to make these alterations but it worth it to get more enjoyment and a better experience.

Yeah i got both the Studioform Deluxe Strap and the Pro Counter weight and tbh i have only used the Pro Counter weight and haven't even touched the Deluxe Strap, the counter weight seems to sort all the issues out, now the Deluxe Strap may make it even better but it just starts looking too busy for my liking. The counter weight just seem to do what it sets out to!.....

vEYDCYr.jpg

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the heck out of my Quest the last couple weeks — Pavlov and Beat Saber are my go-tos. Been having some nagging lag in the former, not sure what's causing it. Excited for the official release. Hopefully it looks a little more like the PC version (super tempted to pick it up and play via Link but the wireless freedom is too good to pass up).

I want to try a wireless PC streaming solution but my router is old AF and doesn't support 5Ghz. I'm betting we'll see an official streaming option this year or early the next, though.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017

My advice is to not underestimate the counter-weight options! The Quest isn't actually that heavy, it's just unbalanced so all the weight is in the front. This means to get it to stay put securely you have to tighten more than you normally would have to. A simple counterweight on the back has made mine 100x more comfortable, and I don't have to tighten so much anymore so a ton of pressure is taken off the face. A lot of people use a battery pack because then it's dual purpose at giving your Quest longer life as well when out and about. Personally I just used a small wrist rest bean bag thing that was around 300 grams and velcro'd it to the back strap and it's worked wonders.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i got both the Studioform Deluxe Strap and the Pro Counter weight and tbh i have only used the Pro Counter weight and haven't even touched the Deluxe Strap, the counter weight seems to sort all the issues out, now the Deluxe Strap may make it even better but it just starts looking too busy for my liking. The counter weight just seem to do what it sets out to!.....

vEYDCYr.jpg

going to give this a try. I feel like I've gotten used to the Quest and can have long play sessions, but if this makes it better, why not.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just tried The Climb again. The controls are still super-laggy. I guess they're never going to patch that shit.

Also, for comfort I ended up taping a fishing sinker to the back of the headset.
I may switch to a battery later because the built-in one is pretty small.

Last edited:

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing Ghost Giant today. Its a fun and adorable kid-friendly VR title, though some of the puzzles are really questionable, one of which i have to trial and error to proceed.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I've just built myself a really beefy PC but, for some reason, the Quest with Link is having some pretty major (i.e. unplayable) framerate issues and connectivity issues in some games. For example:
- The Lab on Steam VR was simply unplayable for the most part
- Robo Recall is fine in calm gameplay but in any heavy action there's stutters and the 'black bar' issue at the edge
- Beat Saber doesn't close properly from in Steam VR so I have to take off the VR to manually close it every time
- Sometimes the menus themselves (Oculus Home and Steam VR) exhibit that black bar issue and some framerate issues
And, frankly, I was definitely expecting better. The only 'great' experience I've had is with Beat Saber which isn't exactly the most taxing of titles.

Is there something wrong with my PC, the cable, or the Quest itself? I don't think it's the PC because outside of No Man's Sky VR none of the games should have performance issues and the PC itself hasn't throttled so far even in very high-demand titles (Metro Exodus with RTX, for example). So it has to be the cable or the Quest/Quest Link software. Anyone else had these issues? If so is there any way to fix them? If not then I might seriously consider either selling my Quest for a Rift S or buying a Rift S and keeping the Quest as a portable VR device.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I've just built myself a really beefy PC but, for some reason, the Quest with Link is having some pretty major (i.e. unplayable) framerate issues and connectivity issues in some games. For example:
- The Lab on Steam VR was simply unplayable for the most part
- Robo Recall is fine in calm gameplay but in any heavy action there's stutters and the 'black bar' issue at the edge
- Beat Saber doesn't close properly from in Steam VR so I have to take off the VR to manually close it every time
- Sometimes the menus themselves (Oculus Home and Steam VR) exhibit that black bar issue and some framerate issues
And, frankly, I was definitely expecting better. The only 'great' experience I've had is with Beat Saber which isn't exactly the most taxing of titles.

Is there something wrong with my PC, the cable, or the Quest itself? I don't think it's the PC because outside of No Man's Sky VR none of the games should have performance issues and the PC itself hasn't throttled so far even in very high-demand titles (Metro Exodus with RTX, for example). So it has to be the cable or the Quest/Quest Link software. Anyone else had these issues? If so is there any way to fix them? If not then I might seriously consider either selling my Quest for a Rift S or buying a Rift S and keeping the Quest as a portable VR device.
try a different port to start with. when it comes to the link cable not all ports are created equal. My new computer has 4 usb 3.0+ ports on there and the only standard port that works is the one actually labeled VR ready (the usb-c port works with the official cable just fine though)

it could also be the cable though. one of my friends had a ton of issues with their cable, and ordered a new one and it worked just fine.

Plum

May 31, 2018
try a different port to start with. when it comes to the link cable not all ports are created equal. My new computer has 4 usb 3.0+ ports on there and the only standard port that works is the one actually labeled VR ready (the usb-c port works with the official cable just fine though)

it could also be the cable though. one of my friends had a ton of issues with their cable, and ordered a new one and it worked just fine.

Thanks but unfortunately I can't try a different port as I'm using a USB-C to USB-C cable (This one to be exact) and my PC only has one USB-C port on the motherboard.

One reason I'm a bit weary as to whether it is the cable is that when I was having the issues in 'The Lab' I looked at the PC's output and that was still showing the unplayable framerate. I suppose I could try another but the one I've got seems to be really good for its purpose so I don't really know.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks but unfortunately I can't try a different port as I'm using a USB-C to USB-C cable (This one to be exact) and my PC only has one USB-C port on the motherboard.

One reason I'm a bit weary as to whether it is the cable is that when I was having the issues in 'The Lab' I looked at the PC's output and that was still showing the unplayable framerate. I suppose I could try another but the one I've got seems to be really good for its purpose so I don't really know.
do you have an nvidia card? and if you do do you have the geforce experience installed? I know that garbage decided to "optimize" beat saber but ended up having it render at twice as high of a resolution as it needed which needlessly pushed my system and made beat saber all laggy.

Plum

May 31, 2018
do you have an nvidia card? and if you do do you have the geforce experience installed? I know that garbage decided to "optimize" beat saber but ended up having it render at twice as high of a resolution as it needed which needlessly pushed my system and made beat saber all laggy.

I do but I haven't logged into it or even had it open. However Beat Saber is completely fine when I'm simply playing it so I don't think that's the issue.

I'm honestly thinking of just moving to a Rift S anyway. I'm not in the proper living situation to really make use of the Quest's lack of wires and I don't have many Quest-only games so the upgrade in clarity and framerate might prove useful anyway. Would be nice if I just had the money to buy both though lol