• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is supposed to come next week and I'm trying very hard not to think about it because it makes the wait so much more excruciating
That's okay. Just make the wait easier by reminding yourself that it's actually a pile of overpriced, overhyped rubbish.

Except that it's really not. It's great. Have fun!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Long time didn't post here. I bought a lot of games. I'm impressed with how tired I can be after 1h of oh shape / box vr. These two are really great rhythmic sport game

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Trying out virtual desktop to stream PC games and it's been a giant pain so far. I can't get Blade and Sorcery to work at all - I can light up menu items on the main menu but none of the buttons do anything.

Probably just going to refund it.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'm about to experiment with Quest Link but don't own any PCVR titles. Any free demos folks would recommend?

Or, how can I find out which of my Quest games support cross buy with Rift?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Received my DAS today and configured my FrankenQuest.
Velcro tape, strips (arguably unecessary) and a shoelace did the trick.

ESModwDWoAEinBt

Will make sure I have find the perfect fit prior to Half-Life: Alyx releasing.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah this getting really annoying now. I literally can't play some games because, for some reason, they just become completely unplayable at certain moments when using the Link.

For instance I tried to play the Spiderman Far From Home Experience and, whilst it worked fine in the menu, the moment I put on the spiderman suit in-game it turns into a mess that has a non-existent frame-rate and a black void all around me where an image should be.

It's not my computer because I haven't had this issue with a single 2D game and it's not the Link either because the image being displayed on the TV is still exhibiting the same issues.

Is there any fix?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this getting really annoying now. I literally can't play some games because, for some reason, they just become completely unplayable at certain moments when using the Link.

For instance I tried to play the Spiderman Far From Home Experience and, whilst it worked fine in the menu, the moment I put on the spiderman suit in-game it turns into a mess that has a non-existent frame-rate and a black void all around me where an image should be.

It's not my computer because I haven't had this issue with a single 2D game and it's not the Link either because the image being displayed on the TV is still exhibiting the same issues.

Is there any fix?

Sounds like there is either an issue with the cable set up or, if the cables are official or confirmed to work by others, the port being used, maybe?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Sounds like there is either an issue with the cable set up or, if the cables are official or confirmed to work by others, the port being used, maybe?

I don't see why it would when the image on my TV is similarly awful as the image on the display itself, and when games are working they're working (for the most part) completely fine. For instance the Spiderman game just happened to suddenly work fine for some reason (I honestly don't know) and it then performed perfectly.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why it would when the image on my TV is similarly awful as the image on the display itself, and when games are working they're working (for the most part) completely fine. For instance the Spiderman game just happened to suddenly work fine for some reason (I honestly don't know) and it then performed perfectly.

Oh, I read it wrong, I thought the image on the screen was fine. Yeah, that is curious.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Oh, I read it wrong, I thought the image on the screen was fine. Yeah, that is curious.

Ah, yeah. No worries.

It's weird because I thought it was fixed with Spider-Man but I go into Robo Recall (which I had been having issues with before) and things are even worse. Like before I could play the game but now I go into a level and it instantly goes to 'fucked' mode. It's not a system problem either because both my GPU and CPU are far from thermal throttling territory when playing VR stuff.

I do have some theory in that games which try to render a 'secondary view' on the TV are the games where this is happening. Spider-Man, for example, only began to work once the TV stopped displaying a 3rd-person view of Spider-Man and started display simply what I was seeing. But then again that doesn't really explain 'The Lab' not working (though it might, I don't know).

It's just so frustrating that this is seemingly so much more complicated than I thought it would be.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've connected my Quest to a Windows PC to copy files quite a few times before. It worked as recently as three days ago. Today the same PC stopped seeing the Quest as a storage device. The Quest also stopped prompting me to allow the PC access to the Quest.
Any ideas what's going wrong?

EDIT: Developer mode had automatically been shut off in the Oculus app. Turning it back on was a more involved process than it was the first time.
STILL NOTHING.

Last edited:

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
I've connected my Quest to a Windows PC to copy files quite a few times before. It worked as recently as three days ago. Today the same PC stopped seeing the Quest as a storage device. The Quest also stopped prompting me to allow the PC access to the Quest.
Any ideas what's going wrong?

EDIT: Developer mode had automatically been shut off in the Oculus app. Turning it back on was a more involved process than it was the first time.
STILL NOTHING.
It's likely you've already tried this, but I've had to restart my Quest and/or PC before in order to get it work.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Received my DAS today and configured my FrankenQuest.
Velcro tape, strips (arguably unecessary) and a shoelace did the trick.

ESModwDWoAEinBt

Will make sure I have find the perfect fit prior to Half-Life: Alyx releasing.

Nice! The DAS is a really great upgrade for the Quest. I'd look into putting a counterweight on as well (a battery pack or something) because that helps a lot as well with the front heaviness. I love my Quest but Oculus really should look into these solutions for a v2, or provide accessories themselves that do what people have been doing with the frankenquest etc.

I was also really surprised at the audio quality with the DAS headphones, they dont' look much but they sound really good.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! The DAS is a really great upgrade for the Quest. I'd look into putting a counterweight on as well (a battery pack or something) because that helps a lot as well with the front heaviness. I love my Quest but Oculus really should look into these solutions for a v2, or provide accessories themselves that do what people have been doing with the frankenquest etc.

I was also really surprised at the audio quality with the DAS headphones, they dont' look much but they sound really good.

I actually hope Quest 2 has the halo design.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't understand how every VR headset since the PSVR reveal hasn't had that.
It could be because the PSVR is the heaviest headset and they wanted to be as light as possible for the Quest? Nothing is stopping Oculus from copying the idea though and maybe making changes so that it is their own and also lighter.

They could also take the easy route and just license Sony's design like Lenovo did so there is no design work needed. Not sure if Sony would be up for that though. It isn't like Sony owns the idea though as the PSVR is basically a copy of a soldering face mask.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It could be because the PSVR is the heaviest headset and they wanted to be as light as possible for the Quest? Nothing is stopping Oculus from copying the idea though and maybe making changes so that it is their own and also lighter.

They could also take the easy route and just license Sony's design like Lenovo did so there is no design work needed. Not sure if Sony would be up for that though. It isn't like Sony owns the idea though as the PSVR is basically a copy of a soldering face mask.

Didn't Oculus already do a halo on the Rift S?

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Was hoping my RMA controller would ship out this week after the original arriving at Oculus last Thursday. I wish more companies would do advanced RMA shipping if you are willing to pay up front, had it for a month and now nearly useless for weeks over an issue with one controllers vibration. Oh well, getting a working one is obviously the most important part.

edit: 2 and a half weeks later it finally shipped. Two days late for Alyx but better than 2 weeks late.

Last edited:

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Now that the official Oculus Link cable has been out for a while has anyone done a comparison in quality between some cheap thing vs the official Oculus one?

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
My Quest has just arrived, just started setting it up now. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Its my first experience with Vr (aside from 10 minutes on Beat Sabre and Richies Plank Experience last weekend). Purchased Beat Sabre, Vader Immortal and National Geographic to begin with and I'll see where I go from there.

I don't know whether I just brought a glorified tech demo machine, but I think that 'myth' about VR is slowly dying. It seems there is a steady stream of new content and Plenty to get to grips with. I like the idea it is a place that home too experimentation and ideas.

lookign forward to trying the more puzzle orientated games like Red Matter.

Oct 25, 2017
My Quest has just arrived, just started setting it up now. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Its my first experience with Vr (aside from 10 minutes on Beat Sabre and Richies Plank Experience last weekend). Purchased Beat Sabre, Vader Immortal and National Geographic to begin with and I'll see where I go from there.

I don't know whether I just brought a glorified tech demo machine, but I think that 'myth' about VR is slowly dying. It seems there is a steady stream of new content and Plenty to get to grips with. I like the idea it is a place that home too experimentation and ideas.

lookign forward to trying the more puzzle orientated games like Red Matter.

Can't recommend Red Matter enough. Great puzzle game with an interesting story and unmatched atmosphere within its genre.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Been really impressed with what I have experienced so far. Played through Vader (Eps1) which was really cool and exemplifies what makes VR really compelling. I could easily spend a game in the cockpit of a ship and just twiddling knobs (paging inneduo bot). Climbing was pretty neat.

Also played through the Antartica portion of the National geographic App. Kayaking was nice and relaxing. Climbing was so-so, kind of works, but its a bit fiddly, but overall I thought it was pretty cool. It really reminded me of Firewatch, which would be an incredible game to play this way.

As for the machine itself, its easy to set up and get around. The tech demo first steps is great, and I love the controllers. They're really comfortable and intuitive. The dance robot blew my mind to honest, when you take its hand you do feel a connection or a presence there.

The most promising thing is that the quest is only at the beginning, there is so much to build on for its future from computing power through to clarity, and hand movement recognition, but it offers so much at the same time.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure where else to ask this, but after a couple of weeks of not being able to mess around in VR, I picked up my Oculus Quest tonight and tried to play some stuff through Link in Oculus PC and Steam VR but everything kept crashing during the initial loading screen. Lone Echo, Skyrim VR, Duck Season - all of it kicks me out after the main menu. Games were all working fine a couple of weeks ago.

If anyone could provide guidance I would be hugely grateful. I've already tried uninstalling my virus protection (McAfee), stopping Backblaze, uninstalling and reinstalling the Oculus app, installing Visual C++ 2010 and 2012. Restarting the PC multiple times. Nothing is working. Just keeps crashing during loading.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure where else to ask this, but after a couple of weeks of not being able to mess around in VR, I picked up my Oculus Quest tonight and tried to play some stuff through Link in Oculus PC and Steam VR but everything kept crashing during the initial loading screen. Lone Echo, Skyrim VR, Duck Season - all of it kicks me out after the main menu. Games were all working fine a couple of weeks ago.

If anyone could provide guidance I would be hugely grateful. I've already tried uninstalling my virus protection (McAfee), stopping Backblaze, uninstalling and reinstalling the Oculus app, installing Visual C++ 2010 and 2012. Restarting the PC multiple times. Nothing is working. Just keeps crashing during loading.

Is your Quest updated to the latest firmware? There's all sorts of quirks that emerge when there's a discrepancy between the Oculus PC client version and the headset's firmware version. Aside from that I'd recommend a factory reset and go from there. This probably isn't it but my Quest wasn't being recognized yesterday when connected over usb so I swapped it to another usb 3 port and voila - it was up and running again. Hope this was helpful and you get it up and running again soon.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I got my Quest Link al set up and it works great with Oculus native games. But when I launch Steam VR everything sitters like crazy. Anyone have any ideas?

Is Steam VR automatically set to your desktop resolution? My PC is connected to a 4K tv so maybe that's too much?

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
Anyone play the Quest version of Star Trek Bridge Crew? How does it fare - I've played it on Vive.
Recently played my first Bridge Crew mission on Quest - played it a long time ago on Rift, and it seems like a good port! Some visual detail missing and its still a pain to get things setup to play with friends (Uplay account shennanigans - make sure you all are friends on Uplay via the web browser before trying to get in a game), but framerate seems solid, exterior shots of the Enterprise are surprisingly beautiful, and mic / social stuff works fine. I couldn't get voice commands to work (maybe they are offline?), otherwise yeah, solid port!

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Recently played my first Bridge Crew mission on Quest - played it a long time ago on Rift, and it seems like a good port! Some visual detail missing and its still a pain to get things setup to play with friends (Uplay account shennanigans - make sure you all are friends on Uplay via the web browser before trying to get in a game), but framerate seems solid, exterior shots of the Enterprise are surprisingly beautiful, and mic / social stuff works fine. I couldn't get voice commands to work (maybe they are offline?), otherwise yeah, solid port!
That's good to hear - thanks!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
New controller design is likely as well, code named "Jedi" from the same reddit thread/source. Makes it seem likely it'll be more in line with Index style controllers to allow for full open hand movement.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, yes, Tested tried a dozen or so headsets, and the Quest worked just fine.
Thank you!

Edit - unrelated:

I don't know it's news, but I haven't seen it mentioned. There are a bunch of games on sale on the Quest store, including (but not limited to) Superhot, Audica and Red Matter.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
My head hurts after playing Alyx tonight. Is this still the recommended comfort fix?

www.studioformcreative.com

Oculus Quest DIY Counter Balance Enthusiast Kit | Studioform Creative

This listing is for our Standard Quest Deluxe Top Strap (not ultra wide) and the Quest Pro Counter Weight Wrap (non weighted) Please note The wrap is designed to add your own counter weights. It does not include batteries or power bank Please read product details for each item here:Quest Deluxe...

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf... I can't get my PC to see my Quest/Link anymore... It was working just fine the other day...arghhhh

Edit: Ok... Rebooting my PC fixed it

Last edited:

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Tried Alyx, the definition on that game is really something, seems like my height was a bit wonky, playing seated, will try to play standing today see if it stops looking like Alyx is a 7 years old girl.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My head hurts after playing Alyx tonight. Is this still the recommended comfort fix?

www.studioformcreative.com

Oculus Quest DIY Counter Balance Enthusiast Kit | Studioform Creative

This listing is for our Standard Quest Deluxe Top Strap (not ultra wide) and the Quest Pro Counter Weight Wrap (non weighted) Please note The wrap is designed to add your own counter weights. It does not include batteries or power bank Please read product details for each item here:Quest Deluxe...

First, make sure the strap is cupping the back of your skull from underneath. I didn't even know the strap could reach that far at first.
What I did that helped tremendously is tape a line of small fishing weights along the back, just enough that the headset can balance on one of my fingers.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting headaches while playing Alyx, dunno why, because I have played Superhot and Beat saber for hours without problems, perhaps the cable is doing something with the weight distribution.