• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any general tips or tweaks available to get better performances and/or graphics out of the Quest in Link mode?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
So I finished my first Alyx playthrough completely over Link, I definitely had stuttering but it didn't bug me enough to detract from overall enjoyment. After I beat it I tried starting a new game with Virtual Desktop's newest beta and holy moly it runs a lot smoother, almost zero stuttering. The only issue is it doesn't look nearly as clear visually as I remember it being on other titles, and changing between the stream quality levels doesn't seem to do jack.

I'd love to experience the whole thing again without stuttering but I just can't deal with the compression artifacts I'm seeing over VD and there's definitely less feeling of presence due to the latency. Hoping to find a middle ground here with troubleshooting to at least improve the IQ, it also looks like its running at a lower res than over Link.

EDIT: Seems I forgot to select HEVC from the codec drop down on the desktop streaming client, looks much better now!

In other news Quest is getting a new update this week and next, hopefully rollout is finally smoother this time, the feature I'm looking forward to is the cable latency test for Link, plus a double tap on the side of the headset for passthrough sounds great:

old.reddit.com

[deleted by user]

A place to discuss the Meta/Oculus Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3, and Quest Pro.

All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of March 23, 2020.

Guardian

• Guardian setup has been updated with new animated instructional clips to help you create safer playspaces.

Oculus Link

• Test your connection
    • You can now test your connection during Oculus Link setup. During setup, clicking Test Cablewill tell you:
      • Whether or not your connection is compatible
      • The available bandwidth
      • The connection type
    • You can access your Link setup at any time by selecting Quest and Touch from the Devices menu when your headset is hooked up to your PC.
      • Please note: This feature requires both your Quest headset and your PC software to be on software version 15 to work properly.
  • Fixes
    • Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the experience to become stuck in a black screen on launch where audio and tracking is still functional.
    • Link now detects your headphones and Mic separately. This means that if you run into any issues, you'll see more specific error messaging to help solve it.
    • Fixed an issue that impacted volume controls when certain connected devices were disabled.
    • Additional fixes and updates for stability and reliability.

Social

• You can now remotely join a Party through party invitation notifications on the Oculus mobile app. Once you put on your headset, you'll be able to confirm that you wish to join the party and immediately begin socializing in VR.
  • You'll now be notified if you are joining a party which includes a user who you've blocked or who has blocked you.
    • If a user you've blocked is added to your party, they will automatically be muted for you by default.
  • Some pop-up dialog messages have been brought slightly closer to the user to improve design consistency.
  • Chats have received updated icons and labeling to improve consistency and clarity.

System Software

• In-VR notifications now have an updated look and are no longer head-locked.
  • A speech-to-text option has been added to the in-VR keyboard, allowing you to enter text via voice instead of typing. Please note that this feature is only available to a percentage of users at this time.

Experimental Features

• Passthrough Shortcut - You can now enter Passthrough to see your real world surroundings at any time. Once you've enabled the feature, double tap the side of your headset to enter Passthrough. When you're finished, double tap again to return to VR.
  • Redesigned Universal Menu - We've redesigned the universal menu to be more efficient and effective when navigating in VR. Highlights include:
    • Allowing you to access your universal menu without leaving the app you're using, if the developer of the app has enabled this option
    • Surfacing your most used apps and experiences first
    • Putting system apps like Explore, Store, Browser, and TV in one central location
    • Adding "Quick Actions" to your settings panel for easy access to key system settings like volume and brightness
  • Multiple Window Support for Oculus Browser - Multitask to get more done and stay connected. Watch a video to crib gameplay tips in one window, check out your friends' latest Facebook updates in another, and catch up on the day's news in a third. You can open, close, and rearrange windows from a new control box above the window. Support for multiple windows will first come to Oculus Browser, with support for more 2D apps like Chats and Store coming later.

Additional Bug Fixes

• Fixed an intermittent bug that prevented all items from displaying in Storage Manager when more than 40 items were present
  • Fixed a Chats bug that would sometimes cause the 'Start Chat' button to move locations
  • Additional bug fixes and stability improvements

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished my first Alyx playthrough completely over Link, I definitely had stuttering but it didn't bug me enough to detract from overall enjoyment. After I beat it I tried starting a new game with Virtual Desktop's newest beta and holy moly it runs a lot smoother, almost zero stuttering. The only issue is it doesn't look nearly as clear visually as I remember it being on other titles, and changing between the stream quality levels doesn't seem to do jack.

I'd love to experience the whole thing again without stuttering but I just can't deal with the compression artifacts I'm seeing over VD and there's definitely less feeling of presence due to the latency. Hoping to find a middle ground here with troubleshooting to at least improve the IQ, it also looks like its running at a lower res than over Link.

EDIT: Seems I forgot to select HEVC from the codec drop down on the desktop streaming client, looks much better now!

In other news Quest is getting a new update this week and next, hopefully rollout is finally smoother this time, the feature I'm looking forward to is the cable latency test for Link, plus a double tap on the side of the headset for passthrough sounds great:

old.reddit.com

[deleted by user]

A place to discuss the Meta/Oculus Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3, and Quest Pro.
That's great... I wonder what they are talking about when saying double tap on the side of the headset? Are they talking about the power button or is there an actual capacitive surface there that I wasn't aware of?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
That's great... I wonder what they are talking about when saying double tap on the side of the headset? Are they talking about the power button or is there an actual capacitive surface there that I wasn't aware of?

I think it's capacitive, I know in Espire 1 for instance you can use it for activating a vision mode to show infrared laser fields in game, and you just lightly touch the side of the headset to activate it.

There was another game that had some mechanic like this that also used the tap feature but can't remember what it was.

They had this in the GearVR too but that had grooves in the shape of a d-pad for menu navigation without the need for a controller, and you'd tap the center of it to select whatever was highlighted.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's a motion gesture, you can activate it by tapping the headset anywhere with anything. I tested it out, works well.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's capacitive, I know in Espire 1 for instance you can use it for activating a vision mode to show infrared laser fields in game, and you just lightly touch the side of the headset to activate it.

There was another game that had some mechanic like this that also used the tap feature but can't remember what it was.

They had this in the GearVR too but that had grooves in the shape of a d-pad for menu navigation without the need for a controller, and you'd tap the center of it to select whatever was highlighted.
It's a motion gesture, you can activate it by tapping the headset anywhere with anything. I tested it out, works well.
Huh... The more you know!

Thanks!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Downloading rabbit hole. Waiting for beat saber dlc today as well. And maybe the room. No firmware 15 for me yet

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
There's no possible way that Half-Life: Alyx could run natively on a Snapdragon 835. No matter how much Valve would try to scale it back it's simply an impossible task.

Skot

Oct 30, 2017
Managed to pick one of these up online in the UK this morning. Been looking for weeks and they're always out of stock. Really excited for it to arrive tomorrow, seems the perfect thing for Self Isolation. Any tips for games to pick up etc?

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Managed to pick one of these up online in the UK this morning. Been looking for weeks and they're always out of stock. Really excited for it to arrive tomorrow, seems the perfect thing for Self Isolation. Any tips for games to pick up etc?
Have you ever played VR before if not I would start with
Superhot-(Get this please)
Robo recall
Beat saber- Imo not the best for long periods but a fun game
Vader Immortal series- not the story but the god tier dojo
Fishermans Tale -a very trippy experience
Moss- great 3rd person platformer
Bait- free fishing game
Epic Roller coasters- free roller coaster shooter
Any art game- Google tilt brush, sculpt vr, gravity sketch
Gun club- Really fun VR shooting range
Richies Plank experience-Not really fun for you after the first few times but IMO the best VR "sampler" for others. It quickly shows the power or VR.

Mainly stationary games or games that encourage movement by moving your own body. VR sim sickness is real for a lot of people, after about 2 weeks getting used to VR I would move on to games like
Journey of the Gods
Apex Construct
Vader Immortal story
End space
Sairento
Pavlov (you will need to get sidequest)

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
——
GET THE OCULUS APP NOW! And go buy a bunch of games because the sales end in 50minutes and there's NEVER any on Quest! Even Superhot is 33% off!
————
*Although not sure if you can buy without having a device registered? Still you gotta try, you'll save a ton.
And remember you have 14 days and 2 hours (seems to be back) to refund anything no questions asked. Just don't abuse the system.
——

First I recommend to play Oculus' free First Contact and First Steps.

Highly recommended *IF*s:

If you like Pinball: Pinball FX2 VR is the next best thing to having a real table in your home. DLC is also great, tho pricey.
It's on sale on a bundle with Thumper VR (also a great game if you like the genre)

If you like table tennis: Racket Fury is amazing. The physics are incredible. And you can also play online.

If you have at least 3m x 3m room and want to have a fiendishly hard workout:
The Thrill of the Fight

if you like Star Wars and have a Jedi/lightsaber fantasy: Vader Immortal.

The obvious:

SUPERHOT VR
Beat Saber
Pistol Whip
Sport Scramble Demo

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Quick reminder that the sale ends in less than 1 hour

there's a lot of great stuff too bad I own most of them already

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone noticed BoxVR tracking *way* better in Link than in the native Quest app? Have been getting frustrated at missing punches in Quest and tried Link and at first look it seems a lot better...latency and all!

If this is the case...are there other games that are the same?

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Has anyone noticed BoxVR tracking *way* better in Link than in the native Quest app? Have been getting frustrated at missing punches in Quest and tried Link and at first look it seems a lot better...latency and all!

If this is the case...are there other games that are the same?
Shouldn't the tracking be the same since it is still the Quest doing the tracking in both cases? Are you playing in the same location with the same lighting when you use the Link?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
3-5 meter will be enough

I currently use these two together:

Amazon.com: UGREEN USB Extension Cable USB 3.0 Male to Female Active Repeater Cable with Signal Amplifier Repeater for Printers, WiFi Antenna, Playstation, HTC Vive, Keyboard, Game Console (15FT): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: UGREEN USB Extension Cable USB 3.0 Male to Female Active Repeater Cable with Signal Amplifier Repeater for Printers, WiFi Antenna, Playstation, HTC Vive, Keyboard, Game Console (15FT): Computers & Accessories

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody is having issues with the right hand specifically losing tracking from time to time?

Like the headset lose the right hand momentarily and the hand will just float in the middle of nowhere on screen until I physically turn my head or move up my hand to look at the controller and then it get the tracking back.

In theory it happens with both left and right controllers but I've noticed that it tends to happen a lot more with the right hand.

Something weird going on with the inside out tracking I guess?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played in probably 6 months, and my daugher wants new songs in beat saber. Has the system changed a lot - am I better off starting from scratch with side quest etc?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I'm torn on how to play Alyx now...

Virtual Desktop - Better image quality, wireless and I can use it in a more open space for room scale.

Oculus Link - Better/smoother hand tracking which makes throwing objects a bit easier and more consistent.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
I currently use these two together:

thanks

Is it not best to have a cable that is at a right angle to help with stress on the connection on the headset?

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
thanks

Is it not best to have a cable that is at a right angle to help with stress on the connection on the headset?

I bought a right angle adapter to do that.

Amazon.com: URWOOW Right Angle Type C USB 3.1 Adapter Extension 90 Degree Male to Female Right & Left Angled Extension (2 Pack): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: URWOOW Right Angle Type C USB 3.1 Adapter Extension 90 Degree Male to Female Right & Left Angled Extension (2 Pack): Computers & Accessories

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I tried Virtual desktop but just couldn't get it working reliably. I have a good router and am using 5GHz but just ended up returning the app and going back to Link.

Very happy with Oculus's return policy!

For Link I'm using the same setup as piratepwnsninja. Works well! The cables are a little heavy but I route them in through the back of the headset and that helps.

Meanwhile, I still didn't get the quest software update. I thought everyone was supposed to get it this week?

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Virtual Desktop has had massive gains very recently for me at least. When I tried it two months ago lag/stuttering varied game to game and several had some major tracking bug or such that made it impossible to play. At it's best it was very playable but a noticeable step down from Link. Still liked having it just because I don't really have a proper play space near my computer so it was nice to be able to take it into the living room for specific games or to demo something.

But in the most recent couple of betas it's been pretty great. Everything I've tried is playable and most of the time I really can't perceive whatever difference there actually is. And if I use HEVC encoding the image quality actually looks better in dark areas than the link did, where I could notice a lot more compression or some kind of visual artifacting. The Developer clearly works hard on it if you check the discord, on there all the time updating on fixes.

Actually makes me happier with the Quest purchase, as I was a little mixed on if I should have just gotten a Rift S.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone played Lies Beneath yet? I love the EC comics Mignola-esque art style. But would like to read some feedback before dropping $30.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Anyone played Lies Beneath yet? I love the EC comics Mignola-esque art style. But would like to read some feedback before dropping $30.
Yep, played for an hour and change earlier. I think it's one of my favourite games on the machine, and easily one of the most polished. Apparently it's like 6+ hours long too. Shotgun feels amazing if you're into that. If you're into the art I'll just say right now that the art SUPER delivers, too.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the update for the Windows Oculus software and, for once, everything went through smoothly!

You have to enable the experimental features 1 by 1 on the headset menu itself (for the new universal menu and for the passthrough shortcut) and both are working great! It's so nice to finally have a passthrough feature!

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Virtual Desktop has had massive gains very recently for me at least. When I tried it two months ago lag/stuttering varied game to game and several had some major tracking bug or such that made it impossible to play. At it's best it was very playable but a noticeable step down from Link. Still liked having it just because I don't really have a proper play space near my computer so it was nice to be able to take it into the living room for specific games or to demo something.

But in the most recent couple of betas it's been pretty great. Everything I've tried is playable and most of the time I really can't perceive whatever difference there actually is. And if I use HEVC encoding the image quality actually looks better in dark areas than the link did, where I could notice a lot more compression or some kind of visual artifacting. The Developer clearly works hard on it if you check the discord, on there all the time updating on fixes.

Actually makes me happier with the Quest purchase, as I was a little mixed on if I should have just gotten a Rift S.

Yep I just came into the thread to post about this. I just fired up HL Alyx for the first time and it looked fantastic with the latest VD. I'm not sure I need to use Link as untethered is better and I had no stutters and excellent image quality.

As an aside I know I'm late to the party but HL:A looks INCREDIBLE! I just spent a bunch of time hanging out in the first few rooms just checking out the environments.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Is VD worth purchasing over using ALVR ?
Yes, it's much easier to use for streaming and the quality is better. Plus I do actually use it to for it's main purpose of using my computer in VR from time to time. You can always try it and get a refund if it's not worth it to you.

The streaming stuff needs to be activated using SideQuest. So you need to buy VD then install an alternate build which includes the streaming function with SideQuest.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Yes, it's much easier to use for streaming and the quality is better. Plus I do actually use it to for it's main purpose of using my computer in VR from time to time. You can always try it and get a refund if it's not worth it to you.

The streaming stuff needs to be activated using SideQuest. So you need to buy VD then install an alternate build which includes the streaming function with SideQuest.
Alright thanks ! I'll give it a shot !

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done with Link--I was singing its praises initially because VD was a stuttery mess for me. But the latest version of VD is A M A Z I N G. It just works. I actually get better performance on my GTX 970 playing Alyx through VD than I do through Link.

Exceptional software.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
How is the latency on the new VD for games like Asgards Wrath and Alyx?

To my eyes Link still has better latency in Alyx vs VD but haven't tested Asgard on the latest Link/VD version, though I had pretty spotty performance of it over Link and AWFUL stuttering in the tavern area, whereas VD had much smoother performance for Asgard.

I used to use VD almost exclusively for anything PCVR but have swapped to Link, my performance is quite a bit better than before since the latest firmware update from Oculus. The new VD update is mighty impressive though, it's amazing how much the dev has been able to improve it since initial Quest release.

Been playing Lies Beneath, great balance of horror and combat, actually feels like legit survival horror with how easily you can get overwhelmed. Good use of 3d audio too, the sounds of the enemies are creepy as hell and has you wondering where they are. Definitely one to play with a good pair of headphones.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
To my eyes Link still has better latency in Alyx vs VD but haven't tested Asgard on the latest Link/VD version, though I had pretty spotty performance of it over Link and AWFUL stuttering in the tavern area, whereas VD had much smoother performance for Asgard.
Wow. I refunded Asgard's Wrath because I suffered from that awful stuttering in the Tavern Area. I thought it was my PC but sounds like it might actually be link ? I have a GTX1070TI, an i3-6100 and 16 gb RAM. I was playing on a hard drive and on low settings. I know it's hella weird to have an i3-6100 with the rest of that set up but I actually managed to get a nearly new 1070ti for 300$CAD which is why it's there with the rest of the budget build haha.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. I refunded Asgard's Wrath because I suffered from that awful stuttering in the Tavern Area. I thought it was my PC but sounds like it might actually be link ? I have a GTX1070TI, an i3-6100 and 16 gb RAM. I was playing on a hard drive and on low settings. I know it's hella weird to have an i3-6100 with the rest of that set up but I actually managed to get a nearly new 1070ti for 300$CAD which is why it's there with the rest of the budget build haha.

Yeah I dunno about that cpu lol but for reference users with 2080ti were reporting poor performance at launch with Asgard. IIRC some said having it installed on an SSD removed these issues but I still get the stuttering on mine over Link. It's a great game but the dev didn't optimize it that well imo.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
How is the latency on the new VD for games like Asgards Wrath and Alyx?
I tried it last week and just couldn't get Virtual Desktop working well enough, for long enough. I'm using 5GHz wifi and such and generally have a great connection with everything but virtual desktop was just a bit too much for it to handle I guess.

One thing that was strange about virtual desktop was that when I was trying to tweak settings they didn't seem to stick. I'd increase or decrease settings which affected bit rate and it would take a while or a complete re-launch for them to take effect. So I was stuck with either poor quality which worked smoothly or good-looking quality which performed poorly and no easy way to switch between them reliably.

All that said, thanks to Oculus' refund policy you could try Virtual Desktop for yourself and return it if it doesn't work for you.