• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 22405

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not really against the game as others are on here, but development transparency? You're making a game, not some secret project. Sound like you're up your own ass with that rationality.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
This game is never coming out and we'll never see anything else beyond that initial trailer (unless really mess developer stuff leaks).

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Also, it forces some development transparency that don't match well with The Last Night - a highly experimental game that should be kept under wrap as much as possible."

read as:

"Our development is a fucking disaster and being obliged to even scheduled blog posts would reveal our team is in shambles"

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite everything, the game looks very intriguing, and it would be a shame if it didn't see the light of day. If the devs' are to be trusted, the shitty themes and messages that were once at the core of the game ("what if feminism won") are no longer part of the game, but obviously we have no way of telling whether this is true or not, or if there's similarly bad takes in the game as is. From an artistic standpoint this title looks incredible, and it would be too bad if that aspect didn't get to the spotlight in one way or another. As mentioned in other threads, I'd also be fine if this artistic style was used for a different concept of the game altogether.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
This game was revealed at some fairly big event, right?

It feels rare to see something so initially high profile struggle so much. Either their development is absolutely awful or that whole anti-feminism crap really did push away their partners. Or both, could be both.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017

It feels rare to see something so initially high profile struggle so much. Either their development is absolutely awful or that whole anti-feminism crap really did push away their partners. Or both, could be both.
It was during an E3 indie montage at Microsoft's 2017 presser.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
He should DM Tim Sweeney on Twitter. This game and Epic sounds like a match made in heaven.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting "account suspended" messages for all of those tweets...

Didn't MS back them at some point?

EDIT : Weird, I'm seeing the tweets on mobile 🤔

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017

IF rumors are to be believed, in the last thread we had for this game, it seems that they had some sort of falling out with ms. So maybe the second one is true.
But I may be mis-remembering.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
To be clear, Microsoft was not the publisher. Raw Fury is/was. It is not clear if Raw Fury is still involved or not but they sure don't seem to be. It is worth noting they went to bat for Soret after the tweets were found.

Raw Fury said:
The wording of his statements toward feminism in 2014 was poor, and his buying into GamerGate as a movement on the notion that it represented gamers against journalists was naive, but in the same year he also cheered the rise of women in gaming. In a similar situation as the one happening now, folks on the IdleThumbs forums found questionable tweets and Tim took it upon himself to address them. What came from that was a dialogue where different viewpoints were considered and debated in a purposeful way.

The game has not been mentioned by Microsoft after 2017.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
IF rumors are to be believed, in the last thread we had for this game, it seems that they had some sort of falling out with ms. So maybe the second one is true.
But I may be mis-remembering.
I don't think Microsoft want to be involved in the kind of controversy this game can give them.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017

Star Wars and Bioware games haven't been doing too well these past few years.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm finding it hard to feel sorry for him. For others that may be working on it? Sure. But not him.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they should instead fund any other talent who hasn't said the shit he's said.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Wasnt it supposed to be a Microsoft exclusive? Why isnt Microsoft putting some money in it?
I also thought that Microsoft had funded development, since the game would release on all platforms except PS4.
I'm getting "account suspended" messages for all of those tweets...

Didn't MS back them at some point?

EDIT : Weird, I'm seeing the tweets on mobile 🤔

Not sure where the idea that Microsoft funded or backed this came from

Just because it was part of their E3 presser? So are tonnes of other indie games each year.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There are still people who think Sony funded and/or published No Man's Sky.

I mean, that makes a LITTLE more sense at least because it was announced as a PS4 exclusive. Again, I'm not saying that means people SHOULD have assumed that was the case, but at least in the case of No Mans Sky you can kind of understand why someone might

With this? Outside of being part of an indie reel, what else gave anyone any indication this was funded by Microsoft? By that logic every indie game Microsoft shows at E3 was funded by them?

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Not sure where the idea that Microsoft funded or backed this came from

Just because it was part of their E3 presser? So are tonnes of other indie games each year.

Might of come from the update earlier this year that people may of assumed MS was involved? They said 2018 started strong with their team doubling in size and acquiring a new larger studio space, along with a "massive" budget raise.

Then as the year progressed they were hit with huge legal and funding issues they couldn't disclose and cancelled a Game Awards showing. They ended that update stating they were looking for funding then and this was December 2018. Development doesn't seem to of improved or progressed going by this new update. lol

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that makes a LITTLE more sense at least because it was announced as a PS4 exclusive. Again, I'm not saying that means people SHOULD have assumed that was the case, but at least in the case of No Mans Sky you can kind of understand why someone might

With this? Outside of being part of an indie reel, what else gave anyone any indication this was funded by Microsoft? By that logic every indie game Microsoft shows at E3 was funded by them?

No, I can't understand why someone would think that, because it wasn't a PS4 exclusive, it was also and always on PC, which Sony funded games are not. There was exactly as much logic behind thinking The Last Night would be funded by MS as there was behind thinking NMS would be funded by Sony. People don't think too hard sometimes.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
It was indeed part of ID@Xbox, as far as I know. That usually involves some degree of funding and development support but isn't immutable.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
No, I can't understand why someone would think that, because it wasn't a PS4 exclusive, it was also and always on PC, which Sony funded games are not. There was exactly as much logic behind thinking The Last Night would be funded by MS as there was behind thinking NMS would be funded by Sony. People don't think too hard sometimes.

Journey, Heavy Rain, Detroit, Beyond Two Souls, Helldivers, Shenmue 3 (yes, Sony did provide some financial investment) and Street Fighter V are all Sony funded to some extent and are on PC.

Oct 25, 2017

Following the quick Milkshake Duck, someone from Microsoft's gaming division (her name is escaping me and I couldn't find the tweets with a quick search) reached out publicly on Twitter when Soret started typing up a thread and they seemed to be demanding answers, so there was very likely some sort of funding involved on Microsoft's part at some point in development. That clearly hasn't been the case since!

Titles Sony either partially funded or helped develop with internal studios have shown up on Steam years later, and they even have a specific publishing umbrella for PC releases they own the rights to.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Not sure why any investor would want to associate with this guy after the things he's said. Seems like a quick way to get a black mark on your portfolio.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was indeed part of ID@Xbox, as far as I know. That usually involves some degree of funding and development support but isn't immutable.

That means they can use Microsoft's dev support and such, get guidance and tips, plus they also get some Xbox devkits after being vetted AFAIK. It does not mean there's funding or exclusivity deals involved, and in fact a lot of multiplatform games join ID@Xbox just for rolling easier on Xbox. RiME, for one, was an ID@Xbox title on Xbox One and it had absolutely no exclusivity deals, marketing deals or whatever, it was a multiplatform game all around.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
raw fury isn't the publisher anymore right? i think that has never been confirmed but why else would they have these money problems

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
There should be a refresher in the OP about this game's backstory for any potential investors out there. I'll add one from a past thread once I find it.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Ahhh fuck em. Hope non shit heads on the team land ok but fuck this game.