• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Nioh is hands down the best one in my opinion, I'm still playing that game almost 1 year later.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bloodborne for me, but I need to sink more time in to Nioh.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Nioh, but I enjoyed the Surge much more. I played Nioh and both DLC1 and DLC2, but I haven't really felt like playing DLC3. I'm really looking forward to playing the Surge DLC though.
Also, Salt & Sanctuary is great.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Severance_-_Blade_of_Darkness_Coverart.png
Agreed!

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah.. I don't like such blanket statements as this. You can't just say the souls series took influence from Metroidvanias. Which ones? Was it Metroid? Or Castlevania?... was it some other 2D side scroller the series has taken influence from?

Hmm.. or was it Kings Field that has been doing what your paragraph describes waaay before the hundreds of titles that cover the Metroidvania genre that could have also inspired some of those 2D games as well?

The souls design has been in their DNA for a long time bud.

Edit: but to your credit, Metroid was just one of those games that help shape the industry as we know it. Many of games took or taken influence from it, so you are right. :)

Indeed there were many that use the same game design. I was pointing out that that games that are Metroidvanias have a similar feel because they share a design ethos but having similarities does not make something of the same sub-genre. Its what they do differently that separates them and defines them, otherwise the Souls games would be a part of multiple different genres because they take influence from multiple different genres such as Metroidvanias, dungeon crawlers, action-RPG's, third person action-adventure games. I can't pinpoint the exact games they took inspiration from because the elements of game design are numerous among many titles in those genres.

The Souls series are first and foremost action-RPG's but does enough distinctly with others copying to create its own sub-genre whereas a game like Hollow Knight is a metroidvania. Hollow Knight may take inspiration from the Souls series in a few aspects but the vast majority of features that people attribute to being souls-like in Hollow Knight are actually standards of the metroidvania genre of which it is a part of, the fact that the atmosphere is so persuasive is a testament to how well it has been made rather than it being a Souls-like, the core gameplay mechanics are platforming and combat which is very similar to the Strider series than anything in the Souls games. Hyper Light Drifter which is one of my favourite games in many years also shares many aspects of both Hollow Knight and Souls but the gameplay and systems in place which defines genres don't make it a Souls-like either. Whilst games like Hyper Light Drifter and Hollow Knight may feel much closer to games in the Souls series than games like The Surge they are different genres and nail their atmosphere, minimalist storytelling and control schemes, essentially they are all examples of brilliant game design where gameplay takes centre stage.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Indeed there were many that use the same game design. I was pointing out that that games that are Metroidvanias have a similar feel because they share a design ethos but having similarities does not make something of the same sub-genre. Its what they do differently that separates them and defines them, otherwise the Souls games would be a part of multiple different genres because they take influence from multiple different genres such as Metroidvanias, dungeon crawlers, action-RPG's, third person action-adventure games. I can't pinpoint the exact games they took inspiration from because the elements of game design are numerous among many titles in those genres.

The Souls series are first and foremost action-RPG's but does enough distinctly with others copying to create its own sub-genre whereas a game like Hollow Knight is a metroidvania. Hollow Knight may take inspiration from the Souls series in a few aspects but the vast majority of features that people attribute to being souls-like in Hollow Knight are actually standards of the metroidvania genre of which it is a part of, the fact that the atmosphere is so persuasive is a testament to how well it has been made rather than it being a Souls-like, the core gameplay mechanics are platforming and combat which is very similar to the Strider series than anything in the Souls games. Hyper Light Drifter which is one of my favourite games in many years also shares many aspects of both Hollow Knight and Souls but the gameplay and systems in place which defines genres don't make it a Souls-like either. Whilst games like Hyper Light Drifter and Hollow Knight may feel much closer to games in the Souls series than games like The Surge they are different genres and nail their atmosphere, minimalist storytelling and control schemes, essentially they are all examples of brilliant game design where gameplay takes centre stage.

I have to play that Hollow knight when it releases in consoles, or PS4 or switch.

But yea, good post I agree just wanted to point out that kings field has a lot to do with what the souls games has become. They should make a new KF game.. sorta fps souls game. That would be dope too

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Salt and Sanctuary

I liked NioH a lot too but S&S is just a suoerb couch co-op experience.

Didn't like Lords of the fallen or The Surge that much..

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

This! Severance: Blade of Darkness was most likely a huge inspiration for Demon's Souls. Both games share the lock-on combat system, dark fantasy setting, slow-paced gameplay, the difficulty level, the trial and error segments. It's quite linear compared to the Souls series, but there's way more depth in the combat system.

I wish the game was available on Steam or GOG so more people could experience this masterpiece.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'd say Nioh. It stands on its own merits and borrows the mechanics of Souls games to enhance the experience.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Nioh. It stands on its own merits and borrows the mechanics of Souls games to enter characters the experience.
Yep. Many games will borrow aspects from FROM's design/implementation but NIOH is likely the first one that I can say is an earnest (and successful) attempt at furthering that style of game. It's a good evolution on the souls style game.

Gillben

Oct 28, 2017
If the idea of a multiplayer-focused souls-like appeals to you I recommend Absolver. The combat system is just so good.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Having just finished it, I;d have to say Nioh. Game's combat can actually reach some highs some times akin to Bloodborne.

Lgn!

Nov 13, 2017
I'd say Hollow Knight but I don't think it's soulslike at all. Yes, some elements are there but the game is more metroidvania than anything else.
If you still want to count it, it's one of the best title I've ever played in 25 years of gaming.

Salt and sanctuary is pretty good of you like 2D, otherwise it's probably Nioh.

LotF and Surge are okish. Nothing exceptional for me.

Fury is a fucking masterpiece but, again, it's not souls like at all.

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
In somewhat timely fashion, The Surge: Complete Edition is only $29.99 on Steam for the next 40 hours.

I've played, beaten, and loved every Souls game, from Demon's Souls to Bloodborne. As I previously mentioned, Severance: Blade of Darkness is another one of my favorite games. I just love the tight, focused combat and exploration.

I had NO idea The Surge even released. And this Salt and Sanctuary game? Where have I been? Both of these are new to me. One thing is: I generally enjoy 2D games less than I do 3D games, which is the main reason why I'm leaning toward The Surge at the moment (that and the discount).

If I only plays Souls games solo and don't give a shit for covenants and stuff like that and care mainly about satisfying combat encounters and clever level design, will The Surge (and I guess S&S) provide me that satisfaction?

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh by far I think, Lords of the Fallen was held back by trying to slavishly ape FROM's formula whereas Nioh clearly took inspiration from FROM but made a game that's in the same genre but very much its own thing. It's stands beside rather than in the shadow of FROM's output (and surpasses it in some places, like depth of combat, I'd say)

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I had NO idea The Surge even released. And this Salt and Sanctuary game? Where have I been? Both of these are new to me. One thing is: I generally enjoy 2D games less than I do 3D games, which is the main reason why I'm leaning toward The Surge at the moment (that and the discount).

If I only plays Souls games solo and don't give a shit for covenants and stuff like that and care mainly about satisfying combat encounters and clever level design, will The Surge (and I guess S&S) provide me that satisfaction?

Yes I believe both will, Salt and Sanctuary also mimics the atmosphere and feel of Dark Souls very well, it truly feels like a 2d-Souls.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This! Severance: Blade of Darkness was most likely a huge inspiration for Demon's Souls. Both games share the lock-on combat system, dark fantasy setting, slow-paced gameplay, the difficulty level, the trial and error segments. It's quite linear compared to the Souls series, but there's way more depth in the combat system.

I wish the game was available on Steam or GOG so more people could experience this masterpiece.
Aside from the combat, those were all in Kings Field, Shadow Tower, Eternal Ring etc.

Johnlenham

Oct 29, 2017
It's straight (that's my way of saying pretty good)!

Some of the areas can be confusing.. and hard as hell, but if you stick to the Souls code you can get through it just fine.

Turned up today and had abit of a bash, its kinda cool. I expected something really janky and ugly but so far its not too bad. I feel like this whole bash bash bash hold square might get abit dry but yeah nowhere near as bad as that fucking horrendous viking game.

Its def given me the DS vibe of being cautious and moving about checking all the corners, looking for secrets and hidden paths and so on. The intro was also surprisingly engaging

Well worth £10 so far tbh.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Turned up today and had abit of a bash, its kinda cool. I expected something really janky and ugly but so far its not too bad. I feel like this whole bash bash bash hold square might get abit dry but yeah nowhere near as bad as that fucking horrendous viking game.

Its def given me the DS vibe of being cautious and moving about checking all the corners, looking for secrets and hidden paths and so on. The intro was also surprisingly engaging

Well worth £10 so far tbh.

Oh yea.. won't spoil it, but you get other things to add to your arsenal that's pretty neat. It's no souls, but it'll do the job for now.

I think the most surprising thing about the surge is it's level design. I had a couple of moments that had me like "oh shit, it brung me back here". But yea enjoy man

AussieCedric

Oct 25, 2017
As a souls fan since Demon's Souls, the only comparable game that wasn't made by From Software is Nioh

If I get the Souls itch I just go and replay Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Don't really need imitations, and Nioh brings a lot of it's own ideas the the table for it to be well worthwhile

The idea of a "souls-like" genre seems kind of lame to me, it's not a genre if they're just ripping off Dark Souls. Nioh isn't a souls-like game it's an action RPG

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
As a souls fan since Demon's Souls, the only comparable game that wasn't made by From Software is Nioh

If I get the Souls itch I just go and replay Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Don't really need imitations, and Nioh brings a lot of it's own ideas the the table for it to be worthwhile

The idea of a "souls-like" genre seems kind of lame to me, it's not a genre if they're just ripping off Dark Souls. Nioh isn't a souls-like game it's an action RPG

I think it is. It's definitely worthy of the title of sub-genre. That's just how powerful those games are, and powerful enough to put life into Nioh.

You may like Nioh, another guy may like the Surge.. another Salt and Sanctuary. I don't like the term "souls-like", but I lack a better term and the people have chosen it, so that's what it is.

What this does is broaden the fan base for future From games. Some may never play a From game and play Nioh or the Surge or another soulslike.. then when Miyazaki the god does return their games start selling more and more. That's how I look at it anyway.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Furi for me. It's probably the only one inspired by Souls that I liked/loved since I don't like Dark Souls/Demon souls/Bloodborne

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
Just so you guys are aware, there's a PS4 Flash Sale going on right now with Nioh Complete at $29.99.

SecretEnding

Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently playing The Surge and really enjoying it. The difficulty curve is perfect IMO. Every time i get to a part where I feel stuck, and maybe start to get a little bored, I finally progress.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I would say out of the ones I've played, Nioh is really amazing so far and innovates the formulas in ways that I'm surprised may surpass Souls in terms of the moment-to-moment gameplay entertainment. Hyper Light Drifter is really fun, too.

Oct 30, 2017
Nioh is damn good. Only downsides for me are the limited enemy variation and the overabundance of loot.

The Surge is a big improvement on LoTF but still didn't really grab me completely. Didn't like Salt & Sanctuary. Felt clunky, ugly ass design aside.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
If we're not allowed to choose FROM games, it's obviously Nioh. Nothing else comes close.

Hell, I'm a FROM junkie and I think Nioh is probably better than anything they've put out, at least in terms of just the combat. It's so good.