• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming we aren't counting Bloodborne, it's NIOH.

The combats so smooth I actually prefer it notably more than DS2+3

Pif

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So much love for NiOh.

Isn't the game recycling a lot of assets and repetitive?

I swear I thought it was one common complain.

Wesley-Σ

Oct 26, 2017
Level design is part of the gameplay and I think the encounter design is nowehere near as good as Soulsborne games. Enemies are repetitive and boss fights are nowehere near as good. It has good mechanics but I don't think it builds that good a game around them. It's not bad by any means, but Bloodborne wipes the floor with it.
I preferred the level design in Nioh but forgot to put that. I like how it is structured by missions.

Also, the bosses are way more engaging with inputs -- even if they don't look as cool.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
How many even exist? Nioh, Let it Die, The Surge, Lords of the Fallen... that "Anime Souls" game (Code Vein? is it even out yet?), I guess Salt & Sanctuary as well, anything else?

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Salt and Sanctuary
2. Nioh

Dark Souls remains From's best Souls game.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Maybe Hyper Light Drifter for me. It combines satisfying gameplay with good visuals and interesting level design.

Nioh has only one thing going for it and that is its combat system. The combat system is pretty great. The loot system sucks, most of the levels look like shit (routes are ok tho if sometimes artificially restricted), it has very limited enemy variety, none of the bosses are Souls-grade, levels are reused in completely different regions, it forces you into using armor sets for their bonuses instead of Souls-style mix and match, it's lacking in lore and the PC port is rubbish.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So much love for NiOh.

The recycling of areas is mainly for the side missions. If you do a lot of those, repetition can set in like I said above. The main missions all have a distinct style/look to them. I ended up doing most of the side missions anyway because I was having so much fun with the combat.

Oct 25, 2017
I preferred the level design in Nioh but forgot to put that. I like how it is structured by missions.

Also, the bosses are way more engaging with inputs -- even if they don't look as cool.

I much prefer a cohesive, intertwined world and to me the bosses in Nioh were not very interesting in terms of challenge, look and attack patterns. In fact, I can't even remember most of the bosses. Nothing that comes close to Ludwig, Ebrietas or Orphan of Kos for me. To each his own of course.

I dunno. I appreciate Nioh, but all in all it was much blander and less memorable than I hoped it would be.

I hope the answer to the OP's question can be updated to Death's Gambit next year.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not played a game that's labeled a Souls-like that isn't by From Software that I actually enjoyed.

I loved Nioh but I don't consider it to be a Souls-like except for the first mission. The rest of the game plays closer to a mix of Diablo/Destiny/Warframe meets character action game with a sprinkle of Souls influence. Nioh would probably be the best if you just played it like a Souls game but that's like playing Vanquish as a Gears of War clone.

Last edited:

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh and it's not even close.

Salt and Sanctuary is pretty fun as well but it doesn't have much personality, and it becomes sort of a mess near the end.

Lords of the Fallen is pure trash though. I really hope the Surge is much better.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While Nioh has the best combat system, Salt and Sanctuary is better in basically everything else.
I don't count Hollow Knight, because it's more a typical metroidvania than souls-like, but it's really good regardless.

Nov 28, 2017
Edit: I only read the title and not the first post. I'm a bad bad person.

Anyway, for me it'll be Nioh then if we're talking strictly games not made by FromSoft. Though in the event that the discussion ever goes that direct, then it'll be Demon's Souls. :P

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

To me, Souls is not just combat and control mechanics or leveling mechanics. It is also the atmosphere, the over all darkness within the world create. Both Momodora and Hollow Knight felt like it had a great sense of place. The world was sick and we were trying to cure it. The inhabitants often don't know the full story either and they are not always friendly nor direct enemies. If you feel that these aspects of the souls game are also important then I think these games (Momodora and Hollow Knight) are worth considering.

I completely agree. When I think of a Souls game, I think of a lot more than the literal mechanics. There's a certain touch in them that gives them a wonderful feeling to explore. For me, games like Salt and Sanctuary and Lords of the Fallen are imitators, but they lack the je ne sais quoi of Souls. S&S also has some pretty glaring design issues in my opinion.

Nioh is great because it's a totally other new thing with very good (maybe the best) Souls combat.

Nosgotham

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
ZombiU . The souls like features really made that game stand out. It was my favorite experience from 2012

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Well this thread has well and truly fucked the term soulslike.

The games people are describing as souls like seem bizarre to me. Games like Nioh, Lords of the Fallen and Let it Die have clear mechanical and design similarities to FROMs Soulsborne games, and people are now throwing the psuedo-label at anything with a slightly cryptic/environmental storytelling.

Generally the ones describes as soulslike are immediately identifiable due to the inclusion of a number of primary design principles, but not necessarily all of them.

To those saying Bloodborne, given that the game was releases to near universal praise and is made by FROM I don't think that's really contributing to the discussion.

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh

The gameplay, the setting, the characters are everything I'd ever wished for. Such a great game.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I much prefer a cohesive, intertwined world and to me the bosses in Nioh were not very interesting in terms of challenge, look and attack patterns. In fact, I can't even remember most of the bosses. Nothing that comes close to Ludwig, Ebrietas or Orphan of Kos for me. To each his own of course.

I dunno. I appreciate Nioh, but all in all it was much blander and less memorable than I hoped it would be.

I hope the answer to the OP's question can be updated to Death's Gambit next year.
Bosses like the giant evil centipede were pretty sweet in design and execution though. But many/most of them just required you to get a grip of their attack patterns, maybe equip protection against their particular element/status (often if you fully explored the levels you could find hidden gear just for that purpose, that was neat), and then you could defeat them in a short while after a few retries at most. There were no prolonged epic long struggles. The game's still cool in its own way and would even fit a handheld easier than the Souls games thanks to the mission structure. But yeah, I don't consider it a Souls-like (or I'd have voted for that here, I was actually turned off by it initially since I did expect a Souls-like based on what other people said about it yet I got something completely different that I grew to enjoy too), it is its own beast. The mission structure would fit a portable version too. Not that you'd fully explore and finish a given area on a short subway ride since they can be quite long and complex with their own shortcuts to open and secrets to find (although you could run straight to the goal/boss), but even if you turned it off after a checkpoint shrine there is no overarching labyrinthine environment or plot to need a refresher of by the next session.

So much love for NiOh.

All main missions are quite unique, it's the numerous side missions that have you retread the same areas with altered goals and enemies. You could ignore them but most do them cos the game is fun as hell.

Last edited:

Vedderlax11

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried Nioh, Dark Souls 2, and Bloodborne. The only one I stuck with was Bloodborne, and I think the aesthetic and combat were just so much better than the other two. Someday I'll get around to DS1.

Facism

Oct 25, 2017
NIOH was great fun. A great base for a sequel if they ever have the impetus to make one.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh is great because it's a totally other new thing with very good (maybe the best) Souls combat.

You can play it in a Souls like fashion but when you contrast what you can do in Nioh to what you can do in Souls the combat is a very different beast.

Want to go deep into the combat system and ignore leveling or the loot system:

Maybe that's not your thing and want to go full power utilising the loot system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjDWZ3wUC_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEr2auZ02OY

Want to focus just on your skills and do as high damage output as possible whilst ignoring combo's, loot and grinding:
https://youtu.be/6IBpCpOcaG4?t=23

Maybe you do want Souls like combat then you limit yourself to select moves and weapons like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8K_lbKDMYo

That is just a very small selection but there is probably the biggest range of combat options I have personally seen in a game. You can focus on a single feature, mix multiple together or just ignore them all. You are only really forced to do the first proper level in a manner that is similar to Souls combat the rest is pretty much your choice.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne beats Dark Souls for me because it was great all the way through.

Edit:

I think I mis-read the topic, The Surge gets my vote, Nioh a close second.

Nov 12, 2017
I had the most fun with Bloodborne, then Nioh, then Dark souls 2(mainly because it was easier, lol), then Dark souls 1

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Nioh isn't really Souls like enough, but I'd go with that.

Demon's and Nioh are two of my fav games. I don't like other Souls games or souls-likes.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne, no question

Edit* Hah didn't read the note the first time. Then my vote now goes to Nioh. Great combat and cool levels, though it stuck around too long and was repetitive.

Last edited:

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
Nioh has sick combat, the depth is just amazing, but a lot of stuff surrounding it I really don't enjoy . Lots of menus, lists, stats, sorting through items... the amount of items you are given is overwhelming and causes you to spend even more time in that world of menus. In fact I think in general there are too many systems at play which just seem to distract from its main quality which is the incredible depth of the combat. I think if they rework their priorities and streamline the experience they will be able to highlight their talents, at the moment it's just bloated. Also, I gotta say Nioh's lore, world building, atmosphere, mood, dialogue just aren't up to scratch, in fact their ability to take promising historical elements and make them utterly inane is quite amazing. By comparison the Souls games are masterful in this area and this is part of the reason why they are such singular achievements; the way the worlds are conveyed and the way they feed the player information through implicit means is just second to none. This is part of the reason why the difficulty is justified in these games; the incentive to explore and weather the world drives the player on, the player is rewarded with every push forward. When the world isn't captivating and engaging, as is the case with Nioh, that incentive is lost, the combat can carry it to an extent but it tends to lull often.

Tiopes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh. Only one I'd say is actually great. Salt & Sanctuary is pretty good too, but I didn't finish it yet to get a definitive opinion on it.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Does Hyperlight Drifter count? That gets my vote. Full disclosure I've only really played Lords of the Fallen.