• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
So I consider the Souls-likes to be Lords of the Fallen, Zombi, Salt and Sanctuary, Let it Die, The Surge and Nioh.

I haven't played Let it Die, but Nioh is the only one that doesn't outright suck, and even then I don't like it.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Hollow Knight for me. Incredible atmosphere, genuine feeling of travel into the unknown, and the bench/shadow system has the exact same hook as having to retrieve your corpse/stain in the Souls games.

Tony Montana

Oct 27, 2017
Are we counting Hollow Knight as a Souls-like? It's my GOTY.

If not, Nioh. It has the best combat in an action RPG and I'd even put it above some of From's Souls games (Dark Souls 2 and 3).

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Nioh was amazing. A bit repetitive in some parts but the combat was right up there with this genre's best.

Loved the living weapons and kodamas system.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh has sick combat, the depth is just amazing, but a lot of stuff surrounding it I really don't enjoy . Lots of menus, lists, stats, sorting through items... the amount of items you are given is overwhelming and causes you to spend even more time in that world of menus. In fact I think in general there are too many systems at play which just seem to distract from its main quality which is the incredible depth of the combat. I think if they rework their priorities and streamline the experience they will be able to highlight their talents, at the moment it's just bloated. Also, I gotta say Nioh's lore, world building, atmosphere, mood, dialogue just aren't up to scratch, in fact their ability to take promising historical elements and make them utterly inane is quite amazing. By comparison the Souls games are masterful in this area and this is part of the reason why they are such singular achievements; the way the worlds are conveyed and the way they feed the player information through implicit means is just second to none. This is part of the reason why the difficulty is justified in these games; the incentive to explore and weather the world drives the player on, the player is rewarded with every push forward. When the world isn't captivating and engaging, as is the case with Nioh, that incentive is lost, the combat can carry it to an extent but it tends to lull often.

The lore and structure of the story is far closer to that of Destiny/Warframe minus the forced grinding for progression, so are the RPG structures found in the game. The world building is the main factor I consider for a game being a Souls-Like and Nioh doesn't have any of that. It has shrines (bonfires), amrita (souls) and stamina but the later can be fully negated and becomes a system closer to something you find in DMC like exceed, it's a way of optimising your attacks rather than limiting.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
Loved Nioh, The Surge and Salt and Sanctuary from start to finish.

Waiting on Code Vein (anime souls) and still waiting on Eitr (Pixel Diablo Souls)

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
You're just gonna miss out, loot management is a non issue once you delve into the game and figure out what to watch out for, you could even filter out of sight the most low tier common gear if you don't want to bother at all so you can just pay attention when you find a rare drop, check the stats/skills it has, decide if you'll take it or leave it and move on. You could also only do that inbetween missions or whatever feels right to you. Of course it would have been cool to get weapons with unique movesets within the same type a la Souls games (which do this in a limited way themselves to be honest) but the combat system in Nioh is deeper than that with many more moves per type of weapon once you unlock the relevant skills, even without this loot system it's not likely they could have had unique movesets per weapon within a type, that would be an insane amount of work.

Anyway I don't even consider Nioh a Souls-like, it is its own beast, with some of the trademark Koei low budget-ness and clunk but once you get into its rhythm and stop expecting it to be something it's not it's great.

Yep, it's Nioh.

Thread is good to know who doesn't read OPs lol

If it helps I absolutely hated the Alpha but liked the final game. Loot system is diferent, weapons don't break and have to change every 2 steps anymore. You still get lots of samey weapons but you can just break them for items to upgrade your weapons.

Controls are better too, it doesn't have that wonky lock-on anymore.

Thanks for the replies. Hmm... maybe I'll watch some gameplay videos to decide. I still have Mario Odyssey to finish and then I'd like a game for my PS4, haven't used it in months. I just really hate excessive inventory management. It' what I disliked the most about Demon' Souls, to get somewhat back on topic. Of course that was different with the item burden but it still meant lots of fumbling in the menus and sorting through items, deciding what to keep etc.

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how many people don't read the OP. I came in to say Dark Souls III, but since we're talking about games not by FromSoft... I dunno. I have Nioh but I didn't like it much. Lords of the Fallen felt weird. Maybe I should give Salt and Sanctuary a shot.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh is probably the only souls like I played that wasn't made by From. It was alright. I couldn't really get into it because of the combat being so in depth, but it was really cool looking.

Molemitts

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized despite being a big Souls fan I've never played any "Souls-Like" game. Unless you count Hollow Knight. Probably because I'm not a huge fan of the Dark Souls sequels and prefer the games that attempt their own thing, I don't just want a Souls clone. Nioh seems like the best one that appears to have it's own twist, so it's on my list to play.

I think it's a bit unfair to call Hollow Knight Souls-Like. Yeah, it definitely takes inspiration from Souls, but it's very much its own thing in the metriodvania genre.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I completely agree. When I think of a Souls game, I think of a lot more than the literal mechanics. There's a certain touch in them that gives them a wonderful feeling to explore. For me, games like Salt and Sanctuary and Lords of the Fallen are imitators, but they lack the je ne sais quoi of Souls. S&S also has some pretty glaring design issues in my opinion.

Thank you! I tried to explain this once in the old forums but just got barked out of the house by fans. I almost want to say some of the games you call imitators felt a bit "soulless" which is really starting to drive me mad with all the souls words being used.

In a sense, NiOh felt like it was missing the magic as well. For me, it was definitely due to how much interaction with NPCs and cutscenes there were. I never entered a new area and was had to stop to admire the view or feel of the place. Half the bosses talk to you and you clearly knew who the antagonist was from the beginning. It only really took inspiration on the spawning, bonfire/checkpoints, stamina and combat though you could argue combat went and moved into its own territory.

If you haven't tried Hollow Knight yet, definitely give it a shot. The characters, levels, atmosphere and general evoked feelings are very close to what I felt with the Souls series and Bloodborne. It also has its fair share of intense boss fights and tricky platforming.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh. It's got better combat than any From game, and while it could have used more enemy variety, the DLC was enjoyable and brought the whole game up to what may have been my GotY.

The Surge is also kinda okay, but not in the same tier as soulsborne/nioh. A good pickup for cheap if you love the genre and don't have a backlog.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I think Salt and Sanctuary is one of the most underrated games I have ever played. It's artstyle put me off on it, but the game is awesome. ESPECIALLY since you can play it on a handheld.

Bricks

Nov 6, 2017
The Surge certainly gets less recognition than it deserves, at least in some aspects.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we don't count Bloodborne then it is Let it Die by a long mile.

I highly encourage souls fans to try this one.

Senpaaaaaiiiii.

adamblue

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
DFW, Texas
Between Surge and Nioh for me. Nioh almost seems like a new Ninja Gaiden with Souls mechanics, whereas The Surge is full on Souls while changing up the well-known mechanics.

I like Nioh as a game more, but The Surge is a better Souls-like.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Nioh and Hyper Light Drifter are my picks. Nioh has amazing combat, while HLD has a beautiful and mysterious world to explore and fast paced combat that feels really weighty and impactful, especially for a 2D game. I'm kinda hesitant to consider HLD a souls-like game though, since it's really it's own thing.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nioh has sick combat, the depth is just amazing, but a lot of stuff surrounding it I really don't enjoy . Lots of menus, lists, stats, sorting through items... the amount of items you are given is overwhelming and causes you to spend even more time in that world of menus. In fact I think in general there are too many systems at play which just seem to distract from its main quality which is the incredible depth of the combat. I think if they rework their priorities and streamline the experience they will be able to highlight their talents, at the moment it's just bloated. Also, I gotta say Nioh's lore, world building, atmosphere, mood, dialogue just aren't up to scratch, in fact their ability to take promising historical elements and make them utterly inane is quite amazing. By comparison the Souls games are masterful in this area and this is part of the reason why they are such singular achievements; the way the worlds are conveyed and the way they feed the player information through implicit means is just second to none. This is part of the reason why the difficulty is justified in these games; the incentive to explore and weather the world drives the player on, the player is rewarded with every push forward. When the world isn't captivating and engaging, as is the case with Nioh, that incentive is lost, the combat can carry it to an extent but it tends to lull often.

Agreed . It has amazing combat but that's about it . It's so disheartening to visit new areas just to find out you're fighting the same mobs again , then you started to ask yourself what's the point of the awesome combat again .

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
From an objective standpoint? I'd probably go with 3. It's the most well rounded one. My favorite though? SotFS

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
The Surge, feels like the most Souls like non-From Software game to me.

And few years back when I totally suck at Souls games, I rather enjoyed Lord of Fallen, which ultimately bring me into genre. I know that it does not holds up to other "souls-like" games, but for new timer to genre, it was great "gateway drug" for me.

Hyper Light Drifter counts? I really like that game, but fail to see what is "souls-like" about it.

creamcake

Oct 25, 2017
You can play it in a Souls like fashion but when you contrast what you can do in Nioh to what you can do in Souls the combat is a very different beast.

All this is super awesome. I've worked pretty hard to convince my circle of friends to think of Nioh as a totally different beast from Souls. It's shoehorned in too easily when it really works to set itself apart in a meaningful way.

If you haven't tried Hollow Knight yet, definitely give it a shot. The characters, levels, atmosphere and general evoked feelings are very close to what I felt with the Souls series and Bloodborne. It also has its fair share of intense boss fights and tricky platforming.

I absolutely adore that game. It's tied with Cuphead for my indie GOTY. Really excited to see what that team gets up to next.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's Demon's Souls for me. I play these games blind, and I felt like Demon's Souls had the difficulty just right. I'm pretty sure it's the easiest one.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chronos, obviously.

The character customization is a simple, but the Biohazard-ass camera and puzzles are great and on Hard mode things are really tense and brutal.

edit: lol y'all read the OP

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls

Then, in descending order of goodness:

Bloodborne
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls 3
Dark Souls 2

EDIT: Whoops, scratch that entire post.

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nioh was amazing, but just got boring 10 hours in. Doesn't hold a candle to Souls in terms of level design or world building.

Surge was good from the demo I played, but the combat had a very "Western" floatiness/weightiness that threw me off. AC Origins' combat had this same issue.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Demon's sure is great, though in comparison, the mechanics have generally improved in the last 8 years.

Each one has it's pluses and minuses.. Personally Demon's is my favorite, followed by Bloodborne, then the Dark Souls games.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with both Nioh and Salt and Sanctuary mentions. With Salt you will feel right at home coming from Souls. I needed to warm up to Nioh first. I don't like how it handles loot and it has too little enemy variety. But the level design is great, with many traps and secret paths for you to find. The Bosses are also great. Can't go wrong with either choice imo.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen an OP so neglected and ignored. They should make one of those sad "In the Arms of an Angel" commercials to bring awareness to neglected OPs.