• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Salt and Sanctuary is a good 2d game that's kinda like it. I wish I could say Nioh but I've never played a Souls game that got boring as quickly as Nioh did. In fact, no Souls game has ever bored me before beating it.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I like Nioh a lot but Salt and Santuary really embraces the idea of Souls and brings it to side scrolling so well.

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe how many people are skipping over the OP entirely, lol.

This thread has me really wanting to buy Nioh though. The alpha didn't impress me but it's been getting a lot of good impressions... hmph.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
To me "Souls-like" is just code for "stop considering this game and just go play DS1/2 again". Nothing Souls-like has ever even been in the same zipcode as Souls. And I'm including the last two From games in that. We'll probably never see anything as good as DeS->DS1->DS2 again. Even though I prefer Kings Field, I'd even say KF never managed such highs as a sequential run since 1 (the Japanese 1) was absurdly short and the PS2 entry was meh. But this is just my opinion, some people love BB/DS3 more than the previous ones even.

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne, followed closely by Dark Souls 2. I don't think Dark Souls 2 is better than 1 or 3, but it's the one I spent the most time with and got the most enjoyment out of.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I liked how Surge did bring something new to the table with the whole limb mechanic. Wouldnt be suprised to see that copied.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Do people really not understand what OP is asking for, and just keep listing games already in the Souls series?

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh is definitely up there for me, as well as Salt and Sanctuary which I remember feeling unsure of at first but ended up really enjoying it by the end.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I kind of want to send a warning to everyone who posted "Bloodborne" post-OP-edit (which was very early into the thread), as it shows they haven't read the OP.

But it's too much work since it's like half the thread, so I'll just shake my fist at y'all and tell you to feel shame. SHAME

...Ahem. To answer the question, my favourites are Salt & Sanctuary and Nioh.

Lords of the Fallen was mediocre, and while The Surge has some improvements, it's somehow... even more boring? I couldn't even finish it.

So we are discussing 3 games then.
Dunno. I've read people say Souls-likes are everywhere now. (Always thought it was bullshit myself.)

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
NiOH hands down not only the best Souls-esque game but brought it back to the Demon's souls feel. I never liked the open world thing that Dark Souls did. Plus they did a great job with the whole Ronin/Samurai history.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Salt and Sanctuary overall probably. Hollow Knight has clear inspirations from it but not sure I'd really call it a Souls-like.

Nioh has merits but it misses a lot of what I like about the genre (not exactly a lot to explore or secrets to really find, for instance).

Inferno Climber is underrated.

Oct 27, 2017
Your heart is rotten garbage.

And yeah, I liked Nioh as well, but these sort of hyperbolic claims are genuinely irritating.
Hyperbole? DS1 was my favourite game last gen (tie with Bayonetta 1). You just can't replicate the feeling you get from your first Souls-game.
Strip that away and you're left with gameplay. BB pushed the series one step ahead with faster combat and a better atmoshere, but in terms of pure fun Nioh
killed it. I wanted to do a new run in BB (already have the plat and finished DLC) after an extensive Nioh session...it felt archaic and like my char was running through a swamp at all times.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Guilty, I skimmed OP and misread.

I have never played a souls like and honestly don't care to. The originality of that series is what made it great, and there are already enough of them to cause fatigue.

Dragons Dogma is pretty great and feels like it might have some inspirations in there, but definitely stands on its own.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Salt & Sanctuary for me. It successfully merged Souls gameplay with 2d and did it in style. The music is fantastic, the bosses are great and the environments are deeply unsettling. Incredible that it was made by 2 people.

Nioh is next. Fantastic combat, very middle of the road to bad everything else. Didn't play anything else.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guilty, I skimmed OP and misread.

I have never played a souls like and honestly don't care to. The originality of that series is what made it great, and there are already enough of them to cause fatigue.

Dragons Dogma is pretty great and feels like it might have some inspirations in there, but definitely stands on its own.

DD is very much its own thing, borrows pretty much nothing from Souls.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This many pages and barely any mention of Let it Die other than myself. This leads me to believe most of you have not played let it die.

Play Let it Die gang. It's free on PS4. It is for senpais only though...

91032168d68d88d27cfa24e20b08c90f.png

OmegaZero

Oct 25, 2017
Salt and Sanctuary is a great attempt but DEX-focused builds are left in the dust and those faces just kill any atmosphere that the art tries to produce.

Still I have to give props to Ska Studios for making such a competent 2D souls with only 2 team members.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I would say the best one I've played is Nioh. They did a genuinely great thing with stamina management with this game (ki pulse) and also put it in a setting From hasn't done.

Also come on, Giant Toad boss fight was rad as hell.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I liked Nioh, but didn't finish it. I got further in it than I did Salt and Sanctuary though. Thought I would enjoy that game but never really got past the first area before I got distracted by other stuff. Hollow Knight is probably my favorite even though I didn't play it myself - just watched full Let's Plays. Waiting for the Switch version to play it.

Really surprised at how many people completely didn't read the OP in here. Also surprised at how few Souls-like games I could come up with that I'd played. For some reason I'd gotten it in my head that the market had been flooded with Souls-likes, but I guess it's more a case that games have adapted bits and pieces of the formula versus truly being a Souls clone.

OP
OP
MajulaDream

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the mod edit lol. I tried :P

Nioh is one I've thought of getting into once I have time. Might come close to scratching the itch lol.

Oct 28, 2017

NiOH.

The level design in all the Soul's like games are no where near as engaging as the level design you'll find in other Metroidvania's so the most important part of these games inevitably becomes the Combat.

Nioh has hands down the best combat in any souls-like.

This many pages and barely any mention of Let it Die other than myself. This leads me to believe most of you have not played let it die.

91032168d68d88d27cfa24e20b08c90f.png
Let it die is awesome!

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Hollow Knight, Momodora IV and Hyper Light Drifter share too many specific, core elements with the Souls games to not be in consideration.

They aren't 3D and don't have stat building throughout a given playthrough, but the level progression ("bonfires," boss runs), the way health and healing are used, the tone of story, interaction and path-crossing with NPCs (and playing a part in their plotlines throughout each game), how finer aspects of combat matter (spacing, taking damage in relation to health/healing), tragic boss back stories, ambiguous morality of motivations/justifications for player character, different builds (not as variable as Souls, but still highly significant), and an interconnected world are all featured in each to varying degrees.

HK and Momodora are Metroid-likes and HLD is like A Link to the Past, but they are too close to the Souls series in key ways to not include them in this discussion, especially in a non-objective manner—regardless of whether they can truly be classified as Souls-like, people who like that series will find something they like in these three. They are each incredible games on top of that.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I came into this thread hoping to find more souls-like games to play that I have not played yet.

Disappointment. :(

Unfortunately there are not many Souls-like games. Lords of the fallen, The Surge, Nioh, Salt & Sanctuary... that's it. Sad but true, especially if you see how successful the Soulsborne games are.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nioh is pretty good, but my vote is for Salt and Sanctuary. I haven't played The Surge yet though. I liked Lords of the Fallen despite its flaws.

Salt and Sanctuary > Nioh > Lords of the Fallen.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I need to play Salt and Sanctuary. I've never beaten a souls-like, but I'm really good when it comes to 2D games. Maybe S&S would finally be my chance to git gud!

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the shit out of The Surge, but it's easily Nioh.

Though I'd sort of argue against including the game as it wears Souls mostly as a marketing strategy. The game is much more Ninja Gaiden meets Diablo than it ever is a Souls game.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if already posted but out of those I've played obviously Nioh and also Hollow Knight.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Nioh by far, it outdoes combat from all of the From Soft games(yes Bloodborne doesn't get close either)

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid

Don't worry, i'm another one that plays avidly Let It Die. The F2P mechanics are implemented how they could knowing that there's GungHo Online pressures to make people play, but, hey nothing stops you from farming money, grinding and waiting till log in bonuses to get good chuinks of items and Death Metals. senpai.