• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of the Switch's successful new IPs will get playable representation by the next Smash game?

• ARMS

Votes: 130 39.3%
  • Astral Chain

Votes: 72 21.8%
  • Ring Fit Adventure

Votes: 172 52.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 49 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Ring Fit is the one I want. Really cool character and world, has the potential for a fun moveset as well.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think all 3 have a decent chance. I think Astral Chain and Arms probably depend on sequels, but I think both are good candidates to receive sequels. Ring Fit character seems like a great option to replace Wii Fit Trainer going forward, and I think she's the most likely character to make it in.
That's actually a fair assessment. Something about Ring Fit Adventure feels like Nintendo EPD struck gold, albeit in a more limited fashion. ARMS did great for its genre, & Astral Chain did surprisingly well all things considered.

Basically it's Ring Fit Adventurer > ARMS > Astral Chain in terms of likelihood in my eyes, but you can easily make arguments for all 3. The former two may end up edging out Astral Chain due to them being EPD franchises.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just want a TMS#FE character that isn't the male lead. I know the chance for that isn't great.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
ARMS and Ring Fit Adventure.
I personally hope for Spring Man and Dragaux.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
ARMS and Ring Fit Adventure.
I personally hope for Spring Man and Dragaux.
Oh great, just what Smash needs. More guys.

Seriously talking, Dragaux over Ring Fit Adventurer would be a damn shame considering the latter's moveset potential. Same for Spring Man over Twintelle or Min Min, but Spring Man feels more likely due to his poster boy status.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I could see a MK8 DX type situation for SBU on a would-be Switch 2. I think in such a situation new characters wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility, but I don't think any of the ones listed here would make the cut. I think whatever new characters make it would be a very small number, and those selected would need to make a bigger impact.

Then again, we did just get the same sort of thing with Tropical Freeze and Funky Mode, so I dunno.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
That's actually a fair assessment. Something about Ring Fit Adventure feels like Nintendo EPD struck gold, albeit in a more limited fashion. ARMS did great for its genre, & Astral Chain did surprisingly well all things considered.

Basically it's Ring Fit Adventurer > ARMS > Astral Chain in terms of likelihood in my eyes, but you can easily make arguments for all 3. The former two may end up edging out Astral Chain due to them being EPD franchises.
Yeah that's the same order of likelihood I'd put them in.

I really do hope all 3 can make the next game. I'm not the biggest fan of how stingy the series has been with representing more recent games and IP's. The Wii U, Switch, and later 3DS years didn't get represented very well in Ultimate. I can't think of much outside of Splatoon, a costume change for Link, and Byleth.

I just want a TMS#FE character that isn't the male lead. I know the chance for that isn't great.
Tsubasa is my dream Smash announcement lol. Would be so easy to make a fun and distinctive moveset for her. I actually do think she's the character they'd pick if they did choose a TMS character.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Any of them may be possible, but as things are at the moment, Ring Fit would be the most likely I'd say. It seems to be the most successful of the three, the Ring Fit Adventurer has a unique, but not overly ambitious moveset, and it sort of builds off of the Wii Fit series.

That being said, I'd predict Ring Fit and ARMs would get reps, but Astral Chain, while possible, is less likely.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah that's the same order of likelihood I'd put them in.

I really do hope all 3 can make the next game. I'm not the biggest fan of how stingy the series has been with representing more recent games and IP's. The Wii U, Switch, and later 3DS years didn't get represented very well in Ultimate. I can't think of much outside of Splatoon, a costume change for Link, and Byleth.

Tsubasa is my dream Smash announcement lol. Would be so easy to make a fun and distinctive moveset for her. I actually do think she's the character they'd pick if they did choose a TMS character.
Fun Fact: Tsubasa is the only one from TMS who got a spirit in Smash. So of anyone, she'd be the most likely character to be made playable if they decide to add a TMS rep.

As for the rest of what you said, I do agree that I'm not 100% a fan of how Smash waits it out regarding new IPs. On one hand, I understand why they do so, namely to make sure they don't end up with a bomba on the roster like Code Name: STEAM or something like that. But at the same time, we're at a point where we know that all 3 are successful. So yeah, I hope all 3 franchises get playable characters at some point.

Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect Astral Chain to be in the next Smash. It's like the character was specifically designed for being a rep in smash.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ring Fit Adventure seems like the safest pick for a Nintendo character in 2020 that isn't the obligatory new Fire Emblem protagonist or current generation Pokemon starter. I think the look of Nintendo's image though will be pretty different in 5 years which is why it is hard to really measure these IP's impacts that far out.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think Astral Chain week get sequels in the future and become much bigger franchise, so that. If the Lite ownership increase significantly, we might not see sequels of other two.

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
None, since Nintendo and Sakurai would sooner piss off the fans more shitty hot-at-the-moment Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters than give fans what they actually want for Smash.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Ring Fit.

ARMS came and went.

Astral Chain has a shot but I think Ring Fit will be remember longer.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ring Fit is pretty much a lock. She also has huge moveset potential between all the powers and exercises in the game, they can make her have zero overlap with Wii Fit Trainer.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
96d7b25738b352f678841b79da84c3605627071d.gifv

Hahahaha yes!!!!

I love this smug bastard!

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Looks like ARMS got in first, sooner than most of us expected at that. Hopefully RFA is next in line come the next Smash game.