• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Arlington fire captain's daughter fatally shot by officer aiming at loose dog

Police said as an officer called out to Brooks and approached her, a loose dog was barking at him and began running towards him. Police say the officer fired several shots at the dog, and heard the woman scream and realized she'd been hit.
Brooks was rushed to the hospital and later died. She died from a gunshot wound to her upper body.

Police say the interaction was captured on body camera. They released the video Friday afternoon.
Arlington Police Chief Will Johnson expressed his condolences for the family of a woman accidentally shot and killed by one of his officers.

"Our hearts are broken for the Brooks family and the police officer involved," he said. "Clearly, this is not the outcome that the officer wanted nor is it the outcome that the department wanted. Miss Brooks was never the intended target of the officer's use of force."

The officer's identity has not been released. Arlington police only said he is a 25-year-old Asian-American who joined the Arlington Police Department in 2012 as a detention officer. He graduated from the police academy in February 2019 and was released from field training on July 1.
Police describe the dog as a 40-pound lab mix. It was also injured. The dog is now in quarantine.

More

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Happened during a welfare check:
Arlington police officers, the Arlington Fire Department and EMS were dispatched to a welfare check in which the caller reported that a woman was passed out in a grassy area near Cantor Drive and N. Collins Street.

As the officer began to approach what appeared to be a woman lying in the grass, he noticed there was also a loose dog, police said in a news release.

The Arlington Fire Department confirmed to CBS 11 that the victim was the daughter of one of its captains.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory and insensitive victim blaming
Leash your dog.

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, this woman was the fire department's captain's daughter? I wonder if this will cause some actual justice to take place. The police's "oops" response isn't a good start though.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Panicky and poorly trained cop.

I at least expected a bigger dog.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
the dog was right about the threat

so fucking sad
First thing I said after watching the video. Ridiculous. Fuck this guy. Straight murder.

hmmmm, i dunno guys

as far as we know he was responding to a passed out woman, the dog ran at him barking and he reacted by shooting at it, accidentally shooting the woman

not sure why you think the dog was right? or why you think it was straight murder?

EDIT:
Panicky and poorly trained cop.

I at least expected a bigger dog.

now this i can agree with... still though, tough situation considering he may have thought the dog was the reason the woman was passed out? i dunno, definitely seems like a tough situation, maybe he could have used taser?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's hard to comprehend what even was going on there. What a fucking coward. He sees a dog and immediately fires at anyone and everything?

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
hmmmm, i dunno guys

as far as we know he was responding to a passed out woman, the dog ran at him barking and he reacted by shooting at it, accidentally shooting the woman

not sure why you think the dog was right? or why you think it was straight murder?

if you listen carefully, after the officer says "Hellooo? Are you doing okay? Is that your dog?" she responds with "I'm doin' fine"

that's putting aside that the officer had no business pulling his gun in this situation

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
if you listen carefully, after the officer says "Hellooo? Are you doing okay? Is that your dog?" she responds with "I'm doin' fine"

that's putting aside that the officer had no business pulling his gun in this situation

oh i didn't hear that, or read it in the story... i'll take another look. thanks

EDIT: ok yeah i hear it now... he knows he fucked up when he tries to cover his ass by saying "mam get a hold of your dog"

i didn't hear her say "yeah im fine" the first time, had to turn the volume up. and i thought the "what the fuck" was someone else standing by, possibly the person who called the cops to begin with

why the hell did that dog charge like that though?

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
hmmmm, i dunno guys

EDIT:

now this i can agree with... still though, tough situation considering he may have thought the dog was the reason the woman was passed out? i dunno, definitely seems like a tough situation, maybe he could have used taser?

Ok not everything is a god damn life threatening situation. They got a trigger happy killed or be killed mentality and that isn't healthy for the ones that are supposed to protect and serve. Lethal force should be the absolute last option possible.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018

What? yeah i know i read the story, i was simply saying i'd take another look because i didnt hear her say "yeah im fine".

now that i have, i'm just wondering why that dog charged and what else he could have done to diffuse the situation.

Ok not everything is a god damn life threatening situation. They got a trigger happy killed or be killed mentality and that isn't healthy for the ones that are supposed to protect and serve. Lethal force should be the absolute last option possible.

yeah agreed for sure. i just don't know what else he cold have done? tasered or just let the dog attack him?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
What? yeah i know i read the story, i was simply saying i'd take another look because i didnt hear her say "yeah im fine".

now that i have, i'm just wondering why that dog charged and what else he could have done to diffuse the situation.

yeah agreed for sure. i just don't know what else he cold have done? tasered or just let the dog attack him?

not use his gun ? its not even a big dog, nor was his life at risk.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
"Yeah I'm fine", good thing the cops were there to correct that issue and kill her.

/s

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
This might be the most stereotypically cop headline I've ever read. It'd be kinda funny if people like the woman in the article didn't routinely lose their lives in instances where being killed shouldn't even be a worry, but this is America, so...

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It's getting to the point where if something bad was ever happening, that I would not call the police and just try to handle a situation on my own.

Calling the police increases your chances of an early death these days.

And I imagine if you're black those chances are even greater if you have a police officer involved in the situation.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Holy shit that video. He just immediatly starts firing randomly agent the dig starts running, then doesn't seem to think anything is wrong as she's dying down the end of the street.

Criminals negligence and absolutely fatal arrogant stupidity. How shit at being a cop do you have to be to react like that. What a fucking piece of shit.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017

First training is to not get cops to think everything is a threat. 2nd is to strip these guys of their gun.

Any force should just about always be after the fact, not beforehand based on presumptions.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My god I have had bigger dogs run at me and didn't panic. Why are cops such cowards?

Pieces of shit like really. I really can't...what the fuck is wrong with your god damn police force. "THE DOG CHARGED HIM" and?! Dog could have been happy to see someone, dog could have just seen something else and ran past him etc. How is that allowed in your country? Then he also killed the woman now. Fucking scardy cat and I hope he gets everything he deserves.

Why would you even think the dog would have attacked him? Cop could have acted cool. It's just a dog ffs. Just don't do anything and check the situation first like in any other first world country.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure loose dogs is something the mail person deals with too, and I've never heard about them shooting at dogs the same way I've heard about police doing. This is what happens when you give life or death decision making powers, to under educated and under trained individuals who think that anything and everyone is their enemy.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
They released this body cam pretty quickly too. Usually they hide it from the public, but that might only be for white cops and black victims.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
"Miss Brooks was never the intended target of the officer's use of force"
Does not matter. Intent follows the bullet.