• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY

Naphu

Apr 6, 2018
Whatever happened to those training cutouts of armed criminals and grannys that alternate that are so popular in movie/game tropes? I'm sure those are based on something real? Can't you combine that with psychological tests and evaluation. Whoever doesn't pass can only carry a taser/mace and partner with a passing officer. Keep guns out of the hands of nervous wrecks.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I wish the police didnt over simplify the situation before unloading in a security guard doing his job

I served on a grand jury for a term, and it was sad the amount of police shooting cases brought to us that involved cops shooting and killing "suspects" who ended up being unarmed.

In every case the cops were let off by simply stating how they feared for their life, or couldn't clearly see the threat. Police are given the benefit of doubt and being "scared" is a clear license to kill. And of course there never is any witnesses to these incidents, it's up to us to just accept that there was a threat believed to be happening.

Patrol

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What a tragic situation all around, a young man hoping to become a police officer is killed doing his job by the very individuals he was striving to follow.

Hopefully the investigation can address some obvious questions here, was it relayed to responding officers that one of the suspect(s) was detained by a security guard who was holding him on the ground at gunpoint?

Was the security guard wearing a clearly identifiable uniform? Furthermore, what was the position of him and the suspect to the responding officers going on scene. What was the lighting conditions?

The investigation should give us answers for such an awful situation.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand. But you don't seem to acknowledge the factor that the ethnicity of the victim plays in the scenario. Black skin is seen as a criminal trait by default. Which leads to snap judgements like this and no assessment of the situation by law enforcement.
Ethnicity certainly could have been a factor, but I don't feel like I have enough information to come to that conclusion.

BankaiZaraki

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I've said, cops were responding to a call about shots fired at a bar and came upon an armed security guard who had his gun on some ones back. Cops didn't know who the shooter was when they pulled up. All they saw was someone with a gun holding someone up. It's a shitty situation. As an armed security officer myself, this does terrify me that a cop could theoretically shoot and kill me. You can take all the precautions in the world and it's not gonna stop a cop from unloading on you.

Is there any other articles out there about this starting why Mr. Robseron chased the individuals out of the bar? Good training will teach an armed guard not to chase people after a crime has occurred. That's just what I've learned from my experience.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the investigation can address some obvious questions here, was it relayed to responding officers that one of the suspect(s) was detained by a security guard who was holding him on the ground at gunpoint?
Read the top of this page. Now how are you going to attempt to justify this person being killed?

Oct 28, 2017
As I've said, cops were responding to a call about shots fired at a bar and came upon an armed security guard who had his gun on some ones back. Cops didn't know who the shooter was when they pulled up. All they saw was someone with a gun holding someone up. It's a shitty situation. As an armed security officer myself, this does terrify me that a cop could theoretically shoot and kill me. You can take all the precautions in the world and it's not gonna stop a cop from unloading on you.

Is there any other articles out there about this starting why Mr. Robseron chased the individuals out of the bar? Good training will teach an armed guard not to chase people after a crime has occurred. That's just what I've learned from my experience.
An armed security guard will obviously feel the need to take extra precautions against a person who is armed and threatening with their gun. It's not the same as detaining a thief caught in the act.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Bit from NPR: Police Fatally Shoot Black Security Guard Who Detained Suspected Shooter

Witnesses say Roberson was wearing his uniform, including a hat emblazoned with the word "security" and was holding a firearm he was licensed to carry.

Midlothian police confirmed that two officers responded to the scene at bar on Sunday and that one of them opened fire.
And there it is. If it was a white security guard with their gun give suspects back the cop would have ran over and helped. It's 100% a race thing and once again. Fuck the police.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Racial bias will never be ended or even reduced if all we do is wait for 100% irrefutable evidence of racial bias, because it is stupid simple to hide.

You'll never get a cop to admit he shot someone just because he was black. Come on here
I'm not sure what either of you are wanting here. Just accuse the cop of racial animus and wantonly murdering this black security guard? That is a solution to this situation?

Dec 23, 2017
Are you for real?

Simply, the time to cock, aim, and shoot it was enough to identify the target. Don't post nonsense.
There has to be at least one. I don't know what other evidence is needed. There is also this thing called talking someone down and assessing the situation. They just showed up and shoot. I know real officers good officers that wouldn't stand for this shitty type of policing.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what either of you are wanting here. Just accuse the cop of racial animus and wantonly murdering this black security guard? That is a solution to this situation?

What do you REALLY think happened then? What non racist explanation can you come up with when a black security guard was wearing a uniform and hat that both said SECURITY in big bold letters in America in 2018 after seeing innocent black men endlessly gunned down by police?

Oct 28, 2017
When you realize that racial bias is a thing we all have to various degrees instead of an absolute binary, you realize how little your argument actually matches with reality.

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There has to be a video of this incident doesn't there? Every bar has security cameras stationed around am I not wrong??

Patrol

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): History of defending and dismissing police brutality. Previous infraction for similar behaviour. Account in junior phase.
Read the top of this page. Now how are you going to attempt to justify this person being killed?
It's important to take into account witness statements. There are issues at play such as whether the uniform is clearly identifiable and marked. The other side is the lighting conditions and positioning of the security guard/suspect and responding officers and whether such, if any, marking were identifiable to them.

A note on uniforms. For example, when I type my reports while on routine patrol, I will state I am working in full uniform and driving a marked police vehicle. That is different when, for example, I am serving a search warrant and am not wearing a full uniform. There I will notate that I am wearing a modified tactical uniform which clearly state police in large bold white print on the front and back. The point here is in how the courts address search and seizure. Lawful commands from a clearly marked law enforcement officer is hard to negate when they are in full uniform. It alleviates any issues of uncertainty or taint.

To draw back to the point at the top of the page, I would need to see what entails a uniform and whether it's clearly identifiable. Again, officers are responding - with lights and siren - to a chaotic and ongoing scene where an active shooter is reported. Radios are loud, sirens are loud, driving to scene with a hot call causes a massive adrenaline rush. Hot calls will involve a multitude of duplicate 911 calls reporting varying information.

There is a lot to dissect here.

OP
OP
DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
What a tragic situation all around, a young man hoping to become a police officer is killed doing his job by the very individuals he was striving to follow.

Was the security guard wearing a clearly identifiable uniform? Furthermore, what was the position of him and the suspect to the responding officers going on scene. What was the lighting conditions?

The investigation should give us answers for such an awful situation.

It's the posts like these that make people upset and angry.

You have all the details. We now know he was donned in full Security gear with big letters emblazed over his hat and shirt.

Let alone the witness's screaming that he was a part of security also

And y'all refuse to believe it. Because your imagination is so much more powerful? The details can't be correct because you both know so much more about what happened?

We NeEd An IvEsTiGaTiOn!!

Yeah, no shit sherlocks. But would an investigation even turn up evidence that you'd actually believe? Or do you turn around and create more skepticism in your head that overpowers reality. One of y'all is a damn security guard and you wanna victim blame like he wasn't suppose to respond to an active threat.

The other one of you is a cop and you want to jusitfy that it's okay for a cop to not be able to read or at least have some basic fucking awareness before unloading a clip.

Attitudes like both of yours are so fucking tiring. Always assuming guilt on a black life. Nothing can fucking convince you. Because you already know that shit is fucked up but deep in your twisted minds, y'all refuse to admit it. You refuse to admit that this is fucked up.

And shockingly that's just as bad as this man getting killed for nothing. The assumption that there is no possible way he simply could be a man who did his job normally and was killed due to bigotry.

People with your mindsets degrade this society and perpotrate apathy.

BankaiZaraki

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's important to take into account witness statements. There are issues at play such as whether the uniform is clearly identifiable and marked. The other side is the lighting conditions and positioning of the security guard/suspect and responding officers and whether such, if any, marking were identifiable to them.

A note on uniforms. For example, when I type my reports while on routine patrol, I will state I am working in full uniform and driving a marked police vehicle. That is different when, for example, I am serving a search warrant and am not wearing a full uniform. There I will notate that I am wearing a modified tactical uniform which clearly state police in large bold white print on the front and back. The point here is in how the courts address search and seizure. Lawful commands from a clearly marked law enforcement officer is hard to negate when they are in full uniform. It alleviates any issues of uncertainty or taint.

To draw back to the point at the top of the page, I would need to see what entails a uniform and whether it's clearly identifiable. Again, officers are responding - with lights and siren - to a chaotic and ongoing scene where an active shooter is reported. Radios are loud, sirens are loud, driving to scene with a hot call causes a massive adrenaline rush. Hot calls will involve a multitude of duplicate 911 calls reporting varying information.

Exactly. As an armed security guard, when I'm approaching a police cruiser or police officer, I take every precaution possible. Such examples include using my strobe light on my flashlight in a downward motion to indicate friendly, using clear and concise lanugage indentifying myself as security. I'm not saying that's not what the guy did as the situation was vastly different than anything I've ever had to deal with.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I understand the need or the feeling to not go down racism lane at every tradegy that involves POCs, ita not a both sides thing just full on one side other side mentality all the time is gonna cause trouble sooner or later. This however, is not the case or the time to call for that sort of debate. Black guy was doing his job, apprehended a perp, was wearing professional security attire, and the cops shit him down instead. Fuckers were running on a racism fueled adreline high, saw him armed and probably dreaming of glory. They should not only throw the proverbial book at him, but the entire congressional library and then some.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy Patrol is here to back up his racist buddies. I love how he always wants perfect due process for his racist cop friends but the black victims never receive it. Ever.

Oct 25, 2017
"the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good* guy with a gun"

translator's note: "good" in conservative means "white"

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017

Fuck you you racist racist piece of shit! I'll gladly take my ban for telling you one more again fuck you racist piece of shit

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
The cop defense here is a bunch of highly detailed what-if scenarios devoid of known information.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In case anyone is wondering, the poster I am quoting is a known racist cop apologist who posts this trash in every thread about police murdering innocent PoC.

Report the post, add to ignore list, and move on

Oct 25, 2017
if you're *that* bad at your job that you accidentally kill innocent people, maybe you should try a different profession

and that is the MOST charitable take on the situation, disregarding how white supremacists have infiltrated the police force and are looking for any excuse to "do their part to make america great again"

and do you really think it's gonna fly if someone kills a cop because they "mistook them for a proud boy" and feared for their life? no one's gonna believe anyone if they say "aw geez it was hard to see their uniform, i didn't realize they were a cop, there were loud noises and i was too scared"

we hold civilians to a higher standard than police officers these days

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
It's the posts like these that make people upset and angry.

You have all the details. We now know he was donned in full Security gear with big letters emblazed over his hat and shirt.

Let alone the witness's screaming that he was a part of security also

And y'all refuse to believe it. Because your imagination is so much more powerful? The details can't be correct because you both know so much more about what happened?

We NeEd An IvEsTiGaTiOn!!

Yeah, no shit sherlocks. But would an investigation even turn up evidence that you'd actually believe? Or do you turn around and create more skepticism in your head that overpowers reality. One of y'all is a damn security guard and you wanna victim blame like he wasn't suppose to respond to an active threat.

The other one of you is a cop and you want to jusitfy that it's okay for a cop to not be able to read or at least have some basic fucking awareness before unloading a clip.

Attitudes like both of yours are so fucking tiring. Always assuming guilt on a black life. Nothing can fucking convince you. Because you already know that shit is fucked up but deep in your twisted minds, y'all refuse to admit it. You refuse to admit that this is fucked up.

And shockingly that's just as bad as this man getting killed for nothing. The assumption that there is no possible way he simply could be a man who did his job normally and was killed due to bigotry.

People with your mindsets degrade this society and perpotrate apathy.

Thank you.

Oct 25, 2017

speaking of filling out paperwork, if that's your attitude then you would be better suited to staying out of the field and sticking to paperwork for the rest of your life

pilots need 20/20 vision, i don't see why it's too much to expect for police officers to use their eyes and ears before opening fire

part of "respecting" a profession is holding its workers accountable, and ejecting those who do not live up to its standards

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia

Hahaha m8, can't be more clear yet the ones who will get ban are the ones who will treat you like you deserve to be treated.

Oct 28, 2017

And somehow, blindly firing into this supposed complicated situation was the answer....

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Are some of you really using personal anecdotes as evidence in justifying why the black security guard detaining an active shooter was shot and killed by police?

Is it really that hard to see the irony if what you're doing?

Some of you need to learn what empathy is, and not make the victim wear your shoes, but you need to put on their shoes. Learn the difference between sympathy, and empathy, and stop making these crass statements that does nothing but divert attention away from what actually happened.

A black security guard detaining an active shooter was shot and killed by police upon arrival. This is fact. This is what happened. You can try to hypothetically break it down all you want, but even as more details come out, you can't change that fact, so stop trying to.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you REALLY think happened then? What non racist explanation can you come up with when a black security guard was wearing a uniform and hat that both said SECURITY in big bold letters in America in 2018 after seeing innocent black men endlessly gunned down by police?
You've clearly made up your mind with a limited amount of information, and that is fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not really interested in replying and going round and round in another flurry of replies.

When you realize that racial bias is a thing we all have to various degrees instead of an absolute binary, you realize how little your argument actually matches with reality.
The closer you read my words the more you realize I'm not actually putting forth much of an argument one way or another. I'm just not one for leaping to conclusions, which is a very popular thing to do in these situations.

Oct 27, 2017
You've clearly made up your mind with a limited amount of information, and that is fine, you're entitled to your opinion, but I'm not really interested in replying and going round and round in another flurry of replies.

The closer you read my words the more you realize I'm not actually putting forth much of an argument one way or another. I'm just not one for leaping to conclusions, which is a very popular thing to do in these situations.

What is the point of you tut-tutting us here? What do you want to actually discuss? Why reply to me you are going to ignore my question to you?

smellyjelly

Avenger
Aug 2, 2018

damn i didn't know boogie had an ERA account

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surely those in the thread bending over backwards to defend the cops would agree then that banning guns is the right thing to do? If cops are that fucking incompetent to shoot a security guard with the word Security emblazoned all over then it would be dangerous for all civilians to carry firearms in public. Right?

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, we don't have enough information.

Also, here's list of a hypothetical situations in which black men deserve to die by police.

TRANSPARENT AS FUCK.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
This story is even worse than I expected from reading the title.

Even if this somehow didn't have race involved, cops should be held accountable for gross negligence when the guy was uniformed stating he was security and witnesses yelling he was security that they ignored.

There is a serious problem when cops can never be wrong even when all the facts are telling them they are if they'd pay attention.

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
Surely those in the thread bending over backwards to defend the cops would agree then that banning guns is the right thing to do? If cops are that fucking incompetent to shoot a security guard with the word Security emblazoned all over then it would be dangerous for all civilians to carry firearms in public. Right?

No it's dangerous that the cops carry weapons since they are choosen so poorly while also being trained terrible in the usa that they become a threat to society itself.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
if you're *that* bad at your job that you accidentally kill innocent people, maybe you should try a different profession

and that is the MOST charitable take on the situation, disregarding how white supremacists have infiltrated the police force and are looking for any excuse to "do their part to make america great again"

and do you really think it's gonna fly if someone kills a cop because they "mistook them for a proud boy" and feared for their life? no one's gonna believe anyone if they say "aw geez it was hard to see their uniform, i didn't realize they were a cop, there were loud noises and i was too scared"

we hold civilians to a higher standard than police officers these days

This is such a good and underrated point.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when do criminals with an apparent hostage see the police and decide to shoot the hostage? Since that isn't what generally happens perhaps the police should do something other than immediately start shooting.