• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Woke up and see Steve Smith hit 144.

Yep, he's still the best. This might be his best 100 ever considering the context.

OP
OP
crazy monkey

crazy monkey

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
i

Smith is good. By the end of this Ashes i think he might move past Steve Waugh in terms of numbers.

If England looses 3 in first session they will be in trouble.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the question really becomes can Smith go down as the best Test batsman since Bradman. He didn't score his first century until his 12th test match. Here are his stats since then:

54 matches
Batting average of 70.65 (home average is 83, away average of 62).
24 hundreds

Averaging 70 over a 50 test period is nuts. He averaged over 70 in four consecutive calender years (14, 15, 16, 17) and I'd put money on it happening again in 19. The only better stretch in modern times was Ponting from mid 2001 to the end of the 06/07 season who averaged 71 over 65 matches. I remember ages ago checking Ponting against Tendulkar, Kallis & Lara and none of them got close to that peak (Tendulkar obviously wins for longevity).

People put forward this idea of a fab four of Smith, Kohli, Williamson and Root. Statistically, in the test arena at least, Smith is just as far ahead of those three as they are from the rest of their peers.

So interested to see what happens with his career now.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Smith could well go on to be the best batsman ever.

He will always have the sandpaper scandal as a footnote though. Shame. Seems like a nice guy, clearly loves cricket. I cant get my head around why he cheated. Just why. Why cheat when you are the best player in the best team in the world.

Oct 26, 2017
UK

He will always have the sandpaper scandal as a footnote though. Shame. Seems like a nice guy, clearly loves cricket. I cant get my head around why he cheated. Just why. Why cheat when you are the best player in the best team in the world.

I still think that it was more he didn't want to stand up to david Warner. Obviously not stopping it is bad but I just don't see him being the instigator more just being not strong enough to stand up to Warner.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

He didn't actually think of the cheating plan. He knew Warner and Bancroft were planning something dodgy but let it happen. Looked the other way and pretended not to know about it.

The whole sandpaper scandal was more about him being a weak leader than anything.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends whether you believe that they one time the SA TV cameras actually looked for evidence of cheating was the one time cheating took place, despite the fact that they only did it because the amount of swing the Aussies were getting was suspicious.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Smith should never have been captain and should never be captain again. The problem is our best candidate is Cummins, and Australia will never have a fast bowling captain. No batsman, other can smith, can guarantee their place.

He'd have to score 23 ducks in a row to get his average to drop to 50. His reflexes would have to slow to that of an octogenarian.

He's probably one of those guys that'll play until he's taken out the back of the barn, so it's not out of the question!

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England slowly, slowly digging away at this total. Haven't seen England bat like this for a long time it feels like. Would be amazing to see Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler, Woakes and Ali come in with runs already on the board.

Not there yet by a long way though.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Joe Root is one of the best in the world when it comes to rotating the strike and keeping the scoreboard ticking over.

If he's accumulating dot balls today it's because the Aussies are bowling well.

This is perfect batting for the situation imo. Blunt the ball, tire the attack, fill your boots after tea.

Rather than 'play your shots'., aaargh 100/4 in the first session before desperate rearguard action to scrape up to 300. Which is essentially what the Aussies did with an extraordinary innings from Smith accounting for half their runs and still not good enough for 300.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Nice to see Burns get to 50. Hopefully get some confidence for the series.

Been good test match batting this morning.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
This umpiring is getting pretty comical now. There was a discussion amongst the commentators yesterday as to whether umpires suffer from a loss of confidence when they get some decisions wrong. I'd say that is definitely happening.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to actually have a test opener performing like a test opener. Here's a distressing stat:

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Ha England having all the luck with edges getting through the gap in the slips.

Edit - And another one!

Last edited:

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He did fail to convert but what he did do was put England in a position in an innings they have rarely been in over the last few years

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Paine really isn't a very good captain. The field placings have been really passive, he missed Burns being out earlier which as the WK he really should have had. He misread conditions yesterday, and he's not really used his bowlers that well (not helped by Lyon having a bit of a mare)

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think Paine is going to be a fall guy that will allow Smith to become captain again...