• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Literally all the Aussies need to do is get around 200 (or even a bit less). it can't be that hard surely?

None of these teams have the mentality when the ball is doing a bit. People talk about Smith's hand/eye co-ordination etc but part of the reality is he's really patient in a way few players in this test match are.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Just caught up with the score. Fuck me. It's actually putting me off a little, this batting. I can take a loss but this is just abysmal.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
what a load of rubbish. schoolboy cricket

both of these sides have zero discipline when batting. where is the accountability, where are the leaders asking WHY you played like this?

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
what a load of rubbish. schoolboy cricket

both of these sides have zero discipline when batting. where is the accountability, where are the leaders asking WHY you played like this?

Sssh now, it's all about "natural game" these days, and of course since everyone only really plays pyjama cricket everyones natural game is waft ball.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous from Khawaja. Even if we win this test we should still drop him and try someone else.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Ridiculous from Khawaja. Even if we win this test we should still drop him and try someone else.

Who? Bancroft plays like a nightwatchman. Harris doesn't inspire any confidence. Warner is out of nick. Wade has made exactly one score, Head has made two. Paine is an absolutely abysmal batsmen who probably should be behind the bowlers. I'd get Carey on a flight.

But really they're going to do something like

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazlewood

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This has been quite an interesting day.
Conditions look all blue and sunny, the bowling is good but not that good. Yet batting is extremely hazardous for both sides. Obviously England utterly failed but also Australia hasn't been convincing by any standards either. I've been out of cricket watching for years--is this simply the pitch being so difficult for batting?

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This has been quite an interesting day.
Conditions look all blue and sunny, the bowling is good but not that good. Yet batting is extremely hazardous for both sides. Obviously England utterly failed but also Australia hasn't been convincing by any standards either. I've been out of cricket watching for years--is this simply the pitch being so difficult for batting?

It's dry and this Dukes ball was brought in specifically to move about, it's got an exaggerated pronounced seam which tend to grip in dry pitches or pitches with a bit of grass on them. So it's nipping about, yesterday it swung and seamed, today it's really just seamed.

For all I rag on Australia's batting line up, yesterday you'd expect to get skittled for a low score. 250 ish would have been a good score, what they got was well beneath that but it was terribly tricky. Today it's really been a bit of seam of movement combined with some absolutely moronic batting. I mean as well as Australia bowled, only really Root got a great ball to get him out, pretty much everyone else just didn't account for the movement and played ridiculous shots. Australia have continued that with both Harris and Khawaja giving their wickets away.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's dry and this Dukes ball was brought in specifically to move about, it's got an exaggerated pronounced seam which tend to grip in dry pitches or pitches with a bit of grass on them. So it's nipping about, yesterday it swung and seamed, today it's really just seamed.

For all I rag on Australia's batting line up, yesterday you'd expect to get skittled for a low score. 250 ish would have been a good score, what they got was well beneath that but it was terribly tricky. Today it's really been a bit of seam of movement combined with some absolutely moronic batting. I mean as well as Australia bowled, only really Root got a great ball to get him out, pretty much everyone else just didn't account for the movement and played ridiculous shots. Australia have continued that with both Harris and Khawaja giving their wickets away.

That makes a lot of sense. I didn't think about the ball. Thanks, kmag!

And wowser at that slip catch being dropped. That's heartbreaking for England.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
Labuschagne has been such a breath of fresh air amongst the dismal display of test batting.

Edit: never mind.

Double edit: or not lmao

Window

Oct 27, 2017
They way comms keep re-iterating the importance of umpire's call is a bit misleading. It's not that the rules are incorrectly deeming a batsmen out/not out based on the umpire's call despite the ball tracking saying otherwise. It's instead that the ball tracking result has enough uncertainty to not overturn the original decision/hypothesis. Comms should re-iterate the error and uncertainty in the system, not the umpire's decision.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Archer is fine and it is just a cramp. He's been great to watch.

edit: Lol at the fire alarm alerting us to English Cricket burning to ashes again.

Last edited:

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
Labushagne just nodding that he hit it. Wonder if the australian crowds will go crazy over that...

We've bowled really well here.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
They way comms keep re-iterating the importance of umpire's call is a bit misleading. It's not that the rules are incorrectly deeming a batsmen out/not out based on the umpire's call despite the ball tracking saying otherwise. It's instead that the ball tracking result has enough uncertainty to not overturn the original decision/hypothesis. Comms should re-iterate the error and uncertainty in the system, not the umpire's decision.

They initially debated changing the size of the ball on the graphical track to about the size of a soft ball when the umpire gives it out and to about the size of a billard ball when they don't because essentially that's what umpire calls are but they rightly thought it'd be too confusing. They also considered representing it with a cone but they want to give the false certainty.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Christ Paine can't bat. I don't care if he's Captain he's a man down in the batting. I mean really he's just shit at batting. He's not a great onfield captain and while he's a great wicketkeeper that's not enough

Australia aren't safe yet.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Who? Bancroft plays like a nightwatchman. Harris doesn't inspire any confidence. Warner is out of nick. Wade has made exactly one score, Head has made two. Paine is an absolutely abysmal batsmen who probably should be behind the bowlers. I'd get Carey on a flight.

But really they're going to do something like

Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Wade
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazlewood
Accurate.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, very disappointing from Paine. Australia only needs a little bit more to seal this match, and the Ashes, but he gets a duck.

More positively, Labuschagne has been fantastic and a real boost to Australia. He's been extremely lucky being dropped twice and getting a no ball a third time, but he's played well too. Selectors should be able to happily keep him and drop one of the other batsmen when Smith comes back.

That's a great idea: drop Paine and let Wade keep wicket.

Last edited:

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure Australia are getting 300+. It's hard for a new batsman to start on this, they're well in the tail and Labuschagne is stuck (he's not been able to score for a while now)
Australia just need 21 more runs to get to 300. They'll get there. I think that will be enough to win the match.