• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah they'll put England in with half an hour left today to see if they can nab a wicket or two.

Also im not sure England can bat a whole day at the moment. Lyon will be tough to face.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree that's what they should do but I suspect they won't.

I will be flabbergasted if Australia are still batting at stumps.

It's not even a case of being brave with armchair declarations, it's just what teams do all the time. Paine won't be bothered about the runs on the board, it's just about how much time they want to give themselves to take 10 wickets.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I will be flabbergasted if Australia are still batting at stumps.
Just saw that Wade and Paine got out. Now I think we should see some aggressive play from the tailenders for the next 20 minutes or so which will result in them getting out and to a change of innings for the last half hour. Still not sure if they'll declare if they don't get out though. While it's a typical tactic, I feel this team is more defensive than Australia of the past. And this is Edgbaston after all.

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw that Wade and Paine got out. Now I think we should see some aggressive play from the tailenders for the next 20 minutes or so which will result in them getting out and to a change of innings for the last half hour. Still not sure if they'll declare if they don't get out though. While it's a typical tactic, I feel this team is more defensive than Australia of the past. And this is Edgbaston after all.

England aren't gonna score 300+ on the 5th day to win in the first test of a series on this surface.

Even if they get close you can simply pack the offside field and hang the ball outside off stump and dry up the runs.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
England aren't gonna score 300+ on the 5th day to win in the first test of a series on this surface.

Even if they get close you can simply pack the offside field and hang the ball outside off stump and dry up the runs.
I know, I'm not suggesting they will. I'm just trying to explain what I think this Aussie side might be thinking and why they might not choose to declare to have a bowl. I'll be proven right or wrong in a few minutes.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
They should have declared straight after Paine's wicket. How many overs do they get now? I thought play went till 6 at most.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect it but an England victory isn't impossible. The commentators have been saying all day that there's nothing in the pitch for bowlers (except for spinners) and Australia capitalised on that. But everyone seems to be assuming that England won't be able to.

It's way easier to hide the ball from the batsman in tests than in white ball cricket with field restrictions.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
It's way easier to hide the ball from the batsman in tests than in white ball cricket with field restrictions.

It has nothing to do with white ball cricket.

My point is that Australia made 363 runs today, and the "experts" seemed convinced that this was because the wicket has nothing in it for the bowlers.

England need to score 385 tomorrow on a wicket that may offer even less. That is not that different to 363.

Admittedly I don't think it will happen as I think England will play for the draw.

Oct 25, 2017

My point is that Australia made 363 runs today, and the "experts" seemed convinced that this was because the wicket has nothing in it for the bowlers.

England need to score 385 tomorrow on a wicket that may offer even less. That is not that different to 363.

Admittedly I don't think it will happen as I think England will play for the draw.

It has everything to do with it.

If England look like they might get close then Australia can just bowl miles outside offstump to a 7-2 field and dry up the run rate. England didn't do that because they were still trying to get wickets, if their main goal was to stop Australia scoring 300 in a day then they would have done that pretty comfortably.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So why does Buttler keep in ODIs and Bairstow keep in Tests? Surely the best keeper should just do both?

Bairstow was also up there with Ali in terms of doing nothing for England this test.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
So why does Buttler keep in ODIs and Bairstow keep in Tests? Surely the best keeper should just do both?

Bairstow was also up there with Ali in terms of doing nothing for England this test.

Out of interest, did anyone interview Ali to find out what went wrong today?

I know either David Lloyd or Shane Warne believed it could be because of his confidence due to his batting performance.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
I don't expect it but an England victory isn't impossible. The commentators have been saying all day that there's nothing in the pitch for bowlers (except for spinners) and Australia capitalised on that. But everyone seems to be assuming that England won't be able to.

No side is scoring almost 400 runs on day 5 of a test to win.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

Won't happen. What's far more likely is that England fall apart and lose the match.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
0 chance England win from here.

5% chance they manage to salvage a draw.

Decent morning session, maybe 2 wickets down, then a quick collapse after lunch

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It has everything to do with it.

If England look like they might get close then Australia can just bowl miles outside offstump to a 7-2 field and dry up the run rate. England didn't do that because they were still trying to get wickets, if their main goal was to stop Australia scoring 300 in a day then they would have done that pretty comfortably.

England should have been doing that. The pitch was slow - you weren't blasting quick wickets like the first innings yet they bowled with no discipline. Big mistake. Had they made the Aussies graft for runs they'd have less time to bat and likely a much lower target. Really poor for England - lost all discipline. And didn't have the attack to blast a team out in those conditions.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At this point we should do an emergency drop in of new umpires. One of the worst matches I've ever seen in terms of umpire decisions.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how test cricket works. You can go from having a side 8/122 and then be considered moral victors if you manage to bat out a draw on the last day.