• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
NintendoMariah
Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
I've been curious about this and this seems as good a place to ask as any,

Since Switch is effectively Nintendos home and handheld now, and I think combined WiiU and 3DS were around 70 million units or close to that, isn't it kind of a bad thing if the Switch doesn't reach that number? I understand the excitement of it selling better than the WiiU, but it would think it would have to sell more than 3DS and WiiU combined to not still be considered a drop off. I have a hard time thinking it's going to reach that number.

Reggie did confirm The Nintendo Switch Isn't the 3DS Successor,

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

Since Switch is effectively Nintendos home and handheld now, and I think combined WiiU and 3DS were around 70 million units or close to that, isn't it kind of a bad thing if the Switch doesn't reach that number? I understand the excitement of it selling better than the WiiU, but it would think it would have to sell more than 3DS and WiiU combined to not still be considered a drop off. I have a hard time thinking it's going to reach that number.

combined they're more like 80m.

uh yeah. nintendo would want Switch to reach 70,80m and beyond. Why wouldn't they? Also, why couldn't it reach that number?
but even with that being said, there's a hundred other things that go into making money than raw unit sales, despite their importance. Without even getting into the nitty gritty, Unit Costs/Profit margin, Mobile, DLC, Amiibo, outside ventures (universal park) etc,

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Back then they didn't have mobile.

RezVr2

Oct 27, 2017

Since Switch is effectively Nintendo's home and handheld now, and I think combined WiiU and 3DS were around 70 million units or close to that, isn't it kind of a bad thing if the Switch doesn't reach that number? I understand the excitement of it selling better than the WiiU, but it would think it would have to sell more than 3DS and Wii U combined to not still be considered a drop off. I have a hard time thinking it's going to reach that number.
The 3ds and Wii U is closer to 80m, but the differential is their move into mobile. Expansion of merchandising, theme parks, movies and T.V., classic consoles, Amiibo. In other words they diversified, and they did that on the quick to offset any loss of revenue from the lack of one platform.

Nteshy

Oct 29, 2017

The answer to your question isn't a simple one, but at its most direct, the Switch should not be expected to hit the combined sales figures of the 3Ds and Wii U. This is for a number of reasons, including that there would be a number of customers who purchased a Wii U and a 3DS that will now only purchase a single Switch, changes in the size of the market and different price point.

That is not to say however that the Switch can't reach that number. I would think that, if it does, the Switch would have then appealed to an even wider audience than the Wii U and 3DS did combined. I think this would be the case even if it achieved a number a fair way below that.

Ultimately though, success and failure for most consoles is a combination of hardware and software sales.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a bit early to say that it won't reach that number it could very well be around half way to 70 million at the end of 2018 if Pokemon releases.

There is a major price difference between Switch and 3DS:
Price: $300 vs $170 at this point.
Peripherals & Accessories: Additional money is generated by things like the ProController, additional JoyCons, Carrying Cases, Grips etc which 3DS did not have.
Game prices: They differ greatly compared to 3DS and Switch. Despite difference in price Switch software is selling at a rate that is much higher than 3DS software launch aligned.
Digital Storefront: Snipperclips, Minecraft have sold well beyond 1 million combined, add to that the huge number of indie success stories, expansion pack for the Switch's biggest game(BotW) and a rising digital adoption rate for 1st party titles compared to past platforms. You have a vibrant new storefront that is likely to already be more successful than either 3DS or Wii U's digital storefronts.
Subs: Nintendo will start charging for online next year which would be another revenue stream both the 3DS or Wii U lacked.

Overall Switch is likely much more profitable then either:
3DS - needed a price cut very early on in it's life to sell
Wii U - expensive to make and not popular

In any case I wouldn't be surprised for Switch to easily pass 70 million by the end of it's life, we are talking multiple revisions, multiple devices per household, pricecuts and games like AC, Pokemon, Smash etc

Last edited:

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm very curious about the last few months, especially considering that the stock issue was still there for most of the time frame that is going to be covered.

With that said I expect shipments to have passed the 8 Million Mark by now

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think they benefited from selling so much of two different platforms. At least with Wii U which was never profitable and the install base held back games.

Here, Switch is likely already profitable by quite a bit and it's growing a healthy install base

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be surprised if Nintendo doesn't update their hardware and software forecast for Nintendo Switch.

I think it's clear at this point that they'll significantly exceed current estimates provided there is enough supply.

Yeah, I'm interested to see just how far they think they can push this year's numbers. Given the shortages and everything, I'm expecting they'll raise their hardware forecast to 12 million. That's a decent increase to present during their financials and also gives them a chance to maybe slightly exceed it.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm. I'd say 6.75m for Switch 5.25m for Zelda, 5.60m for MK8DX, 2m+ for Splatoon 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Rösti post from other thread
Regarding Nintendo's FY 2017 Six Months Earnings Release on October 30, 2017, this is the tentative schedule for events:

News Conference

Usually held in close proximity to the close of the market at around 03.00 PM JST. Often taking place at the Osaka Stock Exchange. Below is an image from an earlier news conference:

nir_1m3j5f.png

These news conferences give the press opportunities to ask questions.

Semi-Annual Financial Results Briefing

Usually held 09.00 AM or 10.00 AM JST. The venue seems to vary depending on if the briefing is a Corporate Management Policy Briefing (which is often held at Imperial Hotel Tokyo) or a regular Financial Results Briefing. It will anyhow feature a presentation by Mr. Kimishima and there will be a Q&A session where institutional investors and securities analysts can ask questions.

Note that at time of writing neither of these events have been publically confirmed, but ought to be expected.

Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PS3+PSP were around 180m combined but that doesn't make PS4 a drop off.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda - 4.7M
MK8 - 4.42M
Splatoon 2 - 3.61M
1-2-Switch - 1.37M
ARMS - 1.35M

Switch - 7.63M
3DS - 68.98M

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
And just coincidentally I refreshed this thread right before going to sleep and we get the numbers in. Great results and great timing!

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The 3ds sold a ton of its hardware in cheap configurations like the 2ds. Given time, we'll see the same thing with Switch - a cheap, child friendly Switch Mini or what have you at a lower price. With the initial momentum they have here they really should have no problem matching the 3ds over a 5 year period.

Given higher software price, higher rate of digital sales as well as more DLC attached to Nintendo's software etc I think they'll make more money per console sold than they did on 3ds too. It's looking pretty good.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
DNXnErZVAAIdCpV.jpg

Pokemon Global Sales as of September 2017:

(2002) Ruby/Sapphire - 16.22 million
(2006) Diamond/Pearl - 17.67 million
(2010) Black/White - 15.64 million
(2013) X/Y - 16.2 million (↑ 50k from Q1)
(2016) Sun/Moon - 15.91 million (↑ 240k from Q1)

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo made around $56m from Pokemon Go and $158m from "Smart Device" if someone could check the math for me.

Grim Patron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How come DQ XI is missing from third party for Switch in JP?

Also interesting to note that DQB and Octopath are under Nintendo games implying Nintendo publishing for those in NA and EU.

rokero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Great numbers overall, thought ARMS would be a little higher in the 1.5 to 1.7 range

MesaEterna

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Very good numbers! Expected 6.5m but this is even better.
Hopefully it keeps up the momentum going