• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
"They" as in Sony and "very reliable poster on Resetera" as in Gamer17? If so has it been vetted by mods or admin?

The leaker who posted the very detailed and technically correct memory configuration was in contact with a poster on resertera. The poster on resetera is not verafied, but not everyone wants to be. He is (to me) considered as reliable as Hmqq and i don't believe they are verafied either

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The leaker who posted the very detailed and technically correct memory configuration was in contact with a poster on resertera. The poster on resetera is not verafied, but not everyone wants to be. He is (to me) considered as reliable as Hmqq and i don't believe they are verafied either

That sounds interesting. Guess we will see how it pans out. It sounds very complicated with multiple pools of memory and figures jumping between 16 and 24GB. I am going to take that leak with a tea cup of salt.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That sounds interesting. Guess we will see how it pans out. It sounds very complicated with multiple pools of memory and figures jumping between 16 and 24GB. I am going to take that leak with a tea cup of salt.
The HBCC which manages the ram, takes all the HBM2 (8 gigs) and 12 gigs of the ddr4 and shows it to the developer as a single unified pool, the same way there's one pool one the ps4/pro. The HBCC isn't even a sony invention, it's actually an AMD thing they were working on since before Navi but haven't implemented. Now here's the thing, down the line there is MUCH more cost savings and improvements with HBM than gddr6, and not just because HBM2 is more expensive to begin with. HBM3 which is due 2020 is explicitly designed to be cheaper and double (roughly) the performance of gddr6. The successor to gddr6 as far as i know doesn't even have an estimated date yet, it's wayyyyy down the line. This design makes it so that the neither cpu or gpu are bandwidth starved like would happen with this generations consoles. What other advantages? HBM2 is smaller which means more space for the gpu, it's also lower voltage which means less heat and is easier on the cooling. If you're looking down the line to a pro revision...you already have your straight line of ps5 HBM2 ps5pro HBM3. If you start with gddr6....you are hamstrung for the forseable future with what you can do. And if you're using gddr6 on your pro revision when the competitor is using hbm3 at double performance and comparable price.....you're getting laughed out of the building at that point. Now other factors, samsung which apparently is the hbm supplier in question could be looking to get into the console business (as vendor, not make a console) to push volume and adaptation of HBM . You can also get into the weeds that sony supplies cmos censors for phones (the best ones) and things between companies can be leveraged and synergistic. Samsung gets a massive volume customer plus a nice deal on camera sensors (my speculation), hell yeah you'd do that. Okay, some may ask why is Sony getting it so cheap and amd can't for their dedicated cards? Simple, volume. An AMD order may be in the hundreds of thousands, a Sony order for ps5 would easily be 20 million plus. And incase someone was wondering about ddr4. On PCs, ddr4 is the ram used to fuel the cpu. So its more than sufficient for processing needs

edit: Further context. The lead architect of the ps5 (cerny) has designed 2 previous consoles for sony (technically 3), the vita and ps4. On both he placed GREAT emphasis on the RAM. We all know the story of the gddr5 and 8 gigs unified pool, but even on the vita. For Vita he created a crazy custom ram system that utilized a form of HBM to get a ton (relatively) of bandwidth out of it