• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France

• Mark Cerny is once again the Lead System Architect.
  • 8 core AMD 7nm Zen 2 based on third generation Ryzen.
  • Ray-tracing support with custom AMD Navi GPU.
  • Custom AMD unit for 3D Audio, also aided by ray-tracing, a big upgrade. Hot on the heels of Sony having acquired near-industry-standard AudioKinetic.
  • Extremely fast high-end custom SSD storage faster than any solution currently available for PC:
    Spider-Man load times on PS4 Pro: 15 seconds → 0.8 seconds on next-gen PlayStation. That's ~19x faster!
    Huge practical game changer opening up for new design opportunities.
  • Technically supports 8K but Cerny demoed Spider-Man load speed improvements on a 4K screen (I would only take this as confirmation of HDMI 2.1).
  • New Virtual Reality platform strongly hinted at but also supports current PSVR (meaning millions of VR users 'day one').
  • Death Stranding might be a cross-gen title (speculation in article based on Cerny reply).
  • Physical Media.
  • Backwards Compatible with at least PS4 (relevant for 90+ million users).
  • Devkit is with developers and they recently accelerated its deployment.
  • Four years in development so far.
This is all official information! This is not a drill.
Straight from Mark Cerny. Key aspects were demoed to Wired on next-gen hardware.

I suggest you start saving up now...

D4R5KKvWAAEKGcE.png:large

/Cerny

Next up: AMD's Dr. Lisa Su will deliver the Computex keynote on May 27th. She is expected to unveil the Navi GPU architecture as well as to launch the third generation of Ryzen CPU's.

As for Sony it seems they have struck a nice balance here of giving us a lot to consider with key architectural designs and coming out ahead of the discussion and leaving out just enough so that they can take their time before re-surfacing. Likely a good while after the competition has revealed their cards at E3. Outside of the Computex keynote I wouldn't expect significant new insights about the next-gen PlayStation platform before later in the year.

Last edited:

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
Mark Cerny would like to get one thing out of the way right now: The videogame console that Sony has spent the past four years building is no mere upgrade.

You'd have good reason for thinking otherwise. Sony and Microsoft both extended the current console generation via a mid-cycle refresh, with the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 spawning mini-sequels (the Xbox One S and PS4 Pro). "The key question," Cerny says, "is whether the console adds another layer to the sorts of experiences you already have access to, or if it allows for fundamental changes in what a game can be."

The answer, in this case, is the latter. It's why we're sitting here, secreted away in a conference room at Sony's headquarters in Foster City, California, where Cerny is finally detailing the inner workings of the as-yet-unnamed console that will replace the PS4.

mod edit: article truncated

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Last edited by a moderator:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just got done reading this. Wouldn't surprise me if a port of Spider-Man was a launch title (Edit: Duh, potential backwards compatibility too)

Excited by the stuff Cerny mentioned about sound too

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is really interesting!

It will have a Zen 2 CPU with 8 cores and an SSD!
It also has a Modified Navi GPU which will support ray-tracing. I wonder if it will have dedicated ray-tracing cores?

It's also going to be backwards compatible with PS4 games! This is going to be amazing!

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting:

PlayStation's next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
It's all sounding really positive as expected. In Cerny we trust.

Extremely interested in this next generation 3D Audio Engine which is obviously this new Wwise tech.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Just got done reading this. Wouldn't surprise me if a port of Spider-Man was a launch title

Excited by the stuff Cerny mentioned about sound too

I'd expect Backwards Compatibility to be a big thing so no point in porting a game that's already playable on it unless they're doing an overhaul or an expansion. Maybe Last of Us 2 gets pushed back? Horizon 2 launch title?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wow, unexpected article.

I'm cautious on the "raytracing" until they give more details.
SSHD (what the PS5 is getting) is not an SSD, weird that they're implying this. Better than current console HDD anyways.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Everything sounds amazing. It's nice to see Cerny being open about the PS5.

Raytracing got me really interested.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing too surprising - Zen 2, Navi, 2020 is all stuff we either knew or could've pretty easily guessed.

Sounds like the SSD is the real key point of the article. With how fast they're describing it, I have to wonder how much space they're going to include in a base model and how much it'll cost.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd expect Backwards Compatibility to be a big thing so no point in porting a game that's already playable on it unless they're doing an overhaul or an expansion. Maybe Last of Us 2 gets pushed back? Horizon 2 launch title?

You're right. I don't even know why I forgot about BC. I really hope they have it on here in some form

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
"The answer, in this case, is the latter. It's why we're sitting here, secreted away in a conference room at Sony's headquarters in Foster City, California, where Cerny is finally detailing the inner workings of the as-yet-unnamed console that will replace the PS4."

Let's goooo.

Also, I didnt know Cerny helped with Spider-Man!?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got done with this. It sounds incredible. Confirming backward compatibility now is a great move as well. Can't wait to learn more.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 backwards compatibility confirmed, seemed kinda obvious but glad to see it confirmed.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Good lord, just dropping this article out of nowhere. Now this is the kind of surprise I love.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
You can't just drop that Sony out of no where wtf?!
edit: just read it, and yes Sony is doing all the right moves. Can't wait for the PS5.

Last edited: