• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
List of compatible SSDs according to Digital Foundry
OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Digital Foundry has released a list of recommended SSDs based on the requirements:

List of compatible SSDs according to Digital Foundry:
  • Seagate FireCuda 530 (heatsink version available) - $255/£235 for 1TB
  • Western Digital Black SN850 (heatsink version available) - $250/£218 for 1TB
  • Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen 4 7000S - $199/£188 for 1TB
  • Patriot Viper VP4300 - $225/£210 for 1TB
  • Samsung 980 Pro (requires additional heatsink) - $199/£178 for 1TB
  • Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus (requires additional heatsink) - $199/£199 for 1TB

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Excellent

Eh, sorta, except they're missing the required heatsink. The $225 option w/ the heatsink (VP4300) seems pretty solid though.

Looks like there's 1x $199 option that has the heatsink included.

I'm going to wait until this feature is publicly available and a few of these drives have been run through their paces, but I'm thinking getting a 1 tb drive will be all I need for the rest of the gen. I might plug in an external for cold storage at some point, but 2tb should hold me over for PS5-centric speeds.

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
Whilst I'm not going to invest immediately, I'm very interested in the Samsung 980 Pro. Anyone have any recommendations for a heatsink that'd pair well with it? Never had an SSD like this before so wanna make sure I get it right.
Kinda thinking between that and the Gigabyte Aorus as it's around that £170 - £190 region I was hoping for.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Insane that Sony is asking for buyers to not only buy and install a SSD but to also put a heatsink on it. I don't see the causal user doing all this.
My concern is Sony curating a list of drives when Sony has, historically, not been great about this sort of thing. The fact that the space is that tight and that people need to ensure that they purchase a drive that doesn't exceed these dimensions is sort of the icing on the cake. It's strange to me that Sony couldn't just make a proprietary drive slot and sell an enclosure for people who wanted to bring their own drive, as that'd at least allow people who wanted to purchase a PlayStation-branded drive and install it without tools.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Last month the Samsung 980 Pro 1TB was on sale on Amazon Germany for around 140 euro. Maybe should have picked it up back then....
But honestly I don't need the extra space atm. I'm perfectly fine with having around 5 games installed.

Think I'll just wait and see what the inevitable PS5 Pro will have to offer in a few years. Maybe it has more storage and I won't even need an extra ssd.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Insane that Sony is asking for buyers to not only buy and install a SSD but to also put a heatsink on it. I don't see the causal user doing all this.

It's not something they're requiring or asking of you though, just another option to broaden the range of choices you have if you choose to expand. The 'casual user' can always just pick up a unit Sony recommends, and not bother with these other options. Arbitrarily locking out that option would be bizarre, why should PS5 know or care if the heatsink was user installed or manufacturer installed.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
My concern is Sony curating a list of drives when Sony has, historically, not been great about this sort of thing. The fact that the space is that tight and that people need to ensure that they purchase a drive that doesn't exceed these dimensions is sort of the icing on the cake. It's strange to me that Sony couldn't just make a proprietary drive slot and sell an enclosure for people who wanted to bring their own drive, as that'd at least allow people who wanted to purchase a PlayStation-branded drive and install it without tools.
Why would they do that to people? People bitched forever about VITA cards being proprietary. This is the correct way to allow for upgrades not proprietary things. This is not rocket science for someone who wants to actually upgrade their drive. Most people will go through the whole gen just deleting games they dont use, or just cold store their games.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

The casual user is probably not even aware of the expansion bay existing and likely will never need it

The vast majority of people will just pick up a usb external drive for cold storage if they have space issues. Those who are savvy enough will find easy instructions on expanding the internal memory.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017

Knowing Sony's history with proprietary storage, I don't think anyone would want that lol.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
List of compatible SSDs according to Digital Foundry:
Damn, that was fast. Nice....

Why would they do that to people? People bitched forever about VITA cards being proprietary. This is the correct way to allow for upgrades not proprietary things. This is not rocket science for someone who wants to actually upgrade their drive. Most people will go through the whole gen just deleting games they dont use, or just cold store their games.

Knowing Sony's history with proprietary storage, I don't think anyone would want that lol.
I never expected to see push back for allowing off the shelf drives....yet here we are.

Wild.

This is nothing new for Sony, handhelds is where they went against the norm for them. Every home console they had that could use hard drives used off the shelf drives. They we could replace.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Best 2TB price for one of the ones that are compatible and comes with a heatsink might be the Aorus one.

Amazon.com: GIGABYTE AORUS Gen4 7000s SSD 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2, Nanocarbon Coated Aluminum Heatsink, 3D TLC NAND, SSD- GP-AG70S2TB: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: GIGABYTE AORUS Gen4 7000s SSD 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2, Nanocarbon Coated Aluminum Heatsink, 3D TLC NAND, SSD- GP-AG70S2TB: Computers & Accessories

$410 for the 2TB with heatsink.

www.tomshardware.com

Gigabyte Aorus Gen4 7000s M.2 NVMe SSD Review: Nanocarbon Cooled for Speed (Updated)

Gigabyte’s Aorus Gen4 7000s is fast, secure, and keeps cool thanks to a sleek heatsink and nanocarbon coating
www.kitguru.net

Gigabyte Aorus 7000s 2TB SSD Review - KitGuru

Gigabyte's Aorus 7000s family of SSDs is the company's flagship PCIe Gen4 single-drive range (Gigaby

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think I'll be fine with a 1TB for now. I can just drop it in my PC when 2-4TB models are more affordable. Another reason I'm very glad Sony went with this route.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
It's super quick to get up and running. I installed a drive, formatted it, copied Ratchet & Clank to the M.2, and ran the game all in under 2 mins.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Damn, that was fast. Nice....

I never expected to see push back for allowing off the shelf drives....yet here we are.

Wild.

This is nothing new for Sony, handhelds is where they went against the norm for them. Every home console they had that could use hard drives used off the shelf drives. They we could replace.
But What if grandma gets confused by having to not only buy a drive but also take off the PS5 shell, trying install a heat sink and the drive?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

I much prefer them using standard M2 drives rather than proprietary designs. It may be a little more difficult for the less technically inclined, but that's nothing some official branding for SSDs (and maybe a Youtube tutorial) can't fix.

If people can figure out how to install an SD card to their phone, they can figure this out.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It's super quick to get up and running. I installed a drive, formatted it, copied Ratchet & Clank to the M.2, and ran the game all in under 2 mins.
One thing that made me jump to using NVMe fast for external use was the transfer speeds. This sounds good....
But What if grandma gets confused by having to not only buy a drive but also take off the PS5 shell, trying install a heat sink and the drive?
The PS5 version of lil Timmy.... 😔

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
You literally just screw it on and put some stickers on it (thermal pads).

If that's too difficult, you can buy ones with heatsinks already attached.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

I had to remove a screw on the back of my N3DS XL to install a micro sd card. IKEA products are harder to build together in comparison to the PS5 :p. I think many "casual" user will be able to do this xd. There will probably be an install video too.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go with 1TB since that and Cold Storage should be enough to not be concerned with memory this generation.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Was that Linus Tech Tips apology unnecessary after all? Really the only relevant feature (besides the physical format, of course) is the read and write speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.