• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ah I see people are still trying to attack Nintendo's chosen specs for a handheld/console hybrid despite technological limitations of such a device and the sheer factor of even having a title like The Witcher 3 put on there. Yes it is downgraded, but that is an astonishing feat to have one of the best RPG games in awhile come to a hybrid system that utilises mobile tech parts. Pointing out that "Nintendo is so far behind the tech race" isn't exactly new news nor is it actually applicable given the context of the system.

Unless of course you go back in time and ask Nintendo to put in some unfeasible or not-yet invented mobile parts and price it at $699+.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it can reach 720p on the Switch Pro in handheld mode.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Probably because Geralt is made of more polys than the total amount of polys that are displayed at any given time in a frame in BotW? And every object in Witcher 3 is textured using higher resolution textures than in BotW. And there's a lot more world entities in Witcher 3 than in BotW.

So basically W3 pushes more polygons, has a higher memory footprint (due to the high res textures) and every any call in W3 is a lot higher than any draw call in BotW.
You don't have to be tech savvy to figure out why a game that offers high end graphics (Witcher 3), has worse performance than a cel shaded game with low poly objects, low density of world objects and not very high res textures.
That's quite the hyperbole, and BOTW actually has a very comparable feature set. In fact, it has fully volumetric lighting, which The Witcher 3 does not.

Of course, the Witcher 3 does have quite a bit higher object density on display. But BOTW is no slouch on the technical front, and some scenes are still quite dense and detailed.
Ah I see people are still trying to attack Nintendo's chosen specs for a handheld/console hybrid despite technological limitations of such a device and the sheer factor of even having a title like The Witcher 3 put on there. Yes it is downgraded, but that is an astonishing feat to have one of the best RPG games in awhile come to a hybrid system that utilises mobile tech parts. Pointing out that "Nintendo is so far behind the tech race" isn't exactly new news nor is it actually applicable given the context of the system.

Unless of course you go back in time and ask Nintendo to put in some unfeasible or not-yet invented mobile parts and price it at $699+.
I mean, Nintendo is everything but behind in the tech race. They have a handheld that can run the most demanding PS4 games. I think that's very impressive.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Got any source for that? I'm seriously asking, because that would kill my interest in this port.

Resolution wise that sounds okay. If Switch can get me current gen games with last gen resolutions docked, I'm okay with that - haven't upgraded my TV in the last 6 years.

This could be really impressive! Especially if the HUD would be locked to 720p and if the game has good frame pacing.
They obviously downgraded a lot, but it seems to still maintain the feel of the game, even with a lesser lighting engine. I'm pretty excited for this - I might not buy it, but these downgraded games fascinate me. Call of Duty on the DS or Splinter Cell on the N-Gage worked, so seeing these downgraded ports come to something like Witcher 3 on the Switch in quality is fantastic.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
It will be low res
It will have frame rate dips
It will have a lot of pop in

But I don't care, I never played it and I will experience it this way.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
For all "concerned" people about "terrible resolutions",
both Doom and Wolfeinsten 2 run at similar resolutions on Switch, and guess what, games are totally OK and very playable despite point that can be blurry on times.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
That's quite the hyperbole, and BOTW actually has a very comparable feature set. In fact, it has fully volumetric lighting, which The Witcher 3 does not.

Of course, the Witcher 3 does have quite a bit higher object density on display. But BOTW is no slouch on the technical front, and some scenes are still quite dense and detailed.
How is it hyperbole?

Witcher 3 has objectively higher poly objects, has 2k textures for character bodies and faces, even has dynamic cloth simulation which is prohibitive in terms of computational cost. How in the world does BotW have a comparable feature set?

Unless you have severe eye problems, how can you say that they are comparable when it comes to poly count and textures? Not to mention shaders&materials (draw calls). The only hy[erbole here is that BotW and Witcher 3 are comparable from a technical pov lol

ITT: people are saying Witcher 3 and BotW are comparable (technically) now...

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
How is it hyperbole?

Witcher 3 has objectively higher poly objects, has 2k textures for character bodies and faces, even has dynamic cloth simulation which is prohibitive in terms of computational cost. How in the world does BotW have a comparable feature set?

Unless you have severe eye problems, how can you say that they are comparable when it comes to poly count and textures? Not to mention shaders&materials (draw calls). The only hy[erbole here is that BotW and Witcher 3 are comparable from a technical pov lol

ITT: people are saying Witcher 3 and BotW are comparable (technically) now...
From a perspective of the feature set of the rendering, yeah, they are pretty similar. They have PBR pipelines, they render the foliage in a similar way, there's full time of day with some approximation of global illumination, there's use of GPU particles...
The Witcher 3 has more complex environments, but the rendering techniques utilized are very similar.

It's a complete hyperbole because Geralt's model doesn't have more polys than a scene you see all the time in BOTW like this:
HCIoZ2G.jpg

(Used a high res render to better show the polygons)

Last edited:

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Got any source for that? I'm seriously asking, because that would kill my interest in this port.

Resolution wise that sounds okay. If Switch can get me current gen games with last gen resolutions docked, I'm okay with that - haven't upgraded my TV in the last 6 years.

This could be really impressive! Especially if the HUD would be locked to 720p and if the game has good frame pacing.
They obviously downgraded a lot, but it seems to still maintain the feel of the game, even with a lesser lighting engine. I'm pretty excited for this - I might not buy it, but these downgraded games fascinate me. Call of Duty on the DS or Splinter Cell on the N-Gage worked, so seeing these downgraded ports come to something like Witcher 3 on the Switch in quality is fantastic.
It was a joke, i don't think they have commented on the fps but i would be very surprised and impressed if they can get a locked 30fps

Zornica

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reading some of the comments here you would believe that some people's self-esteem is dependent on this looking and running bad. How bizarre.

Despite having other means to play this, I'm so going to buy and play this version, because it's the only way I will ever be able to actually finish it.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
540p?! Jesus Christ, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised considering the hardware limitations but what's the point?

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Good thing they they are bringing it to more platforms. But if anyone is really interested to play it just buy it on any laptop for dirt cheap and play it at low resolution, and it most likely will run better than the switch.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true and likely why Nintendo will never release a standalone console anymore. I'm not much into portable gaming so I guess I'm in the minority. They make awesome 1st party games but the hardware keeps holding me back.
I don't do portable either, my Switch has stayed in its dock 99% of the time. Hardware is never an issue for me, games are. Nothing has excited me for PS4/XB1 that I couldn't play on PC. I considered and XB1 for MCC but it will be released on PC.

1 game is enough to justify a system purchase for me and many others. And as the Switch has proven, being able to play your favorite game on the train to work or school is alluring despite the downgrades to hardware intensive games.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
For all "concerned" people about "terrible resolutions",
both Doom and Wolfeinsten 2 run at similar resolutions on Switch, and guess what, games are totally OK and very playable despite point that can be blurry on times.
The difference is, Doom is a 60 fps game cut to 30 fps on Switch. The Witcher 3 on PS4 and X1 is 30 fps. So it's not a good comparison. I'm guessing The Witcher 3 will use the dynamic res option more heavily. And also my guess is a stable 30 fps experience ain't gonna happen either.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be interested in seeing the end result of this. If this is actually a decent experience in portable mode I'll probably bite and replay it. I can live with the downgrades as long as it doesn't look too terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
540p?! Jesus Christ, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised considering the hardware limitations but what's the point?
...idk, playing wherever you want? Many games run at 432p to 540p on Switch, and they look just fine on the small screen.
The difference is, Doom is a 60 fps game cut to 30 fps on Switch. The Witcher 3 on PS4 and X1 is 30 fps. So it's not a good comparison. I'm guessing The Witcher 3 will use the dynamic res option more heavily. And also my guess is a stable 30 fps experience ain't gonna happen either.
DOOM also has dynamic resolution on the PS4 and XBOX One, and uses it quite a lot... On PS4 it drops down to 960*1080, which is half of 1080p, and on XBOX One it drops just a notch above 720p.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

It's good comparison because we have resolutions for both games and they are very similar and thats point.
Both Doom and Wolfenstein 2 using dynamic resolution quite often.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
From a perspective of the feature set of the rendering, yeah, they are pretty similar. They have PBR pipelines, they render the foliage in a similar way, there's full time of day with some approximation of global illumination, there's use of GPU particles...
The Witcher 3 has more complex environments, but the rendering techniques utilized are very similar.
lol
Do you even know what youre' talking about? Foliage is definitely not rendered similarly.
Also, what does "there's full time of day" even mean? lol Did you mean day and night cycle? Ocarina of time has a d&n cycle too - is it also comprabale to witcher 3? lol I'm talking about technical features, you're talking about gameplay features.

This is you: 'both Witcher 3 and BotW use kinda-maybe-similar rendering pipelines but they're just slightly different in poly count, texture resolution, number of draw calls and shaders used. So yeah, they're definitely similar from a tech pov'.
If you honestly think BotW is comparable to Witcher 3 technically (from both povs: engine features and what you see on screen) then I don't know what to tell you.

edit: also, even if they'd use the same engine (which they don't), the fact that one game pushes more polys, higher draw distance, 2K textures and a lot more materials, affects computational cost, which is what my original post explaind to that user. That's why Witcher 3 performs less well on the same hardware. Cuz it's a more taxing game when it coms to GPU&CPU cost. In no way are they similar, as you say.

The only hyperbole here is you saying that they are similar cuz they both have PBR rendering, day and night cycle and render foliage lol You really have no idea what you're talking about, but no need to continue. I obviously can't convince you that you don't know what you're talking about so let's give it a rest.

edit2: I can't believe that I'm explaining to someone that Witcher 3 is very very different than BotW technically, and a more taxing game.

Last edited:

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Switch owners should not complain atleast they're getting more 3rd party support compared to the wii.

I mean ofcourse it should be playable.

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
Resolution is fine for me. I just hope that frame rate is decent (over 25fps) and I'll buy it day one (even at $60).
There is a market for people that even having other options (ps4 pro) really want to play on the go. And yeah, I'm still waiting for GTA V on the switch so I can finally play it.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
How did people ever play 3DS games if this is supposed to look bad

Looks great to me, never played the game and will definitely pick it up

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
It's good comparison because we have resolutions for both games and they are very similar and thats point.
Both Doom and Wolfenstein 2 using dynamic resolution quite often.
No. It's not. Completely different games. TW3 will definitely use dynamic res more heavily and more often.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Novigrad is going to be the true test. You spend way too much time there in the game for sub-optimal performance to be tolerable.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Man you angry dudes would be having seizures if someone took you back in time and you saw how much fun we had with CPS1 games running on ZX Spectrum hardware.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this runs at a decent frame rate it's really going to make Xenoblade look even more like an inexcusable joke.

matzy

Jun 13, 2018
When I saw the reveal for Witcher 3 on Switch I started to think perhaps we may see an upgraded Switch announced as well. I mean, if they can run this game in any playable state on current hardware that is impressive. If we get an improved Switch then also released, imagine that huh?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread goes about what I expected.

Now that the impossible has been done (again) it's time to criticize and downplay all that's been done to make the impossible possible. :lol

Every. Time.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
The bitching and complaining in this thread is beyond embarrasing. It's simple. Don't like it? Don't buy it. For all those who only own a Switch or want to play the game on the go, this is your only option, which leads to the question: is it a good port? So far it seems like it's as good as could possibly be expected. So for those that can live with the hardware limitations of the Switch, this is for you.

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
lol
Do you even know what youre' talking about? Foliage is definitely not rendered similarly.
Also, what does "there's full time of day" even mean? lol Did you mean day and night cycle? Ocarina of time has a d&n cycle too - is it also comprabale to witcher 3? lol I'm talking about technical features, you're talking about gameplay features.

This is you: 'both Witcher 3 and BotW use kinda-maybe-similar rendering pipelines but they're just slightly different in poly count, texture resolution, number of draw calls and shaders used. So yeah, they're definitely similar from a tech pov'.
If you honestly think BotW is comparable to Witcher 3 technically (from both povs: engine features and what you see on screen) then I don't know what to tell you.

edit: also, even if they'd use the same engine (which they don't), the fact that one game pushes more polys, higher draw distance, 2K textures and a lot more materials, affects computational cost, which is what my original post explaind to that user. That's why Witcher 3 performs less well on the same hardware. Cuz it's a more taxing game when it coms to GPU&CPU cost. In no way are they similar, as you say.

The only hyperbole here is you saying that they are similar cuz they both have PBR rendering, day and night cycle and render foliage lol You really have no idea what you're talking about, but no need to continue. I obviously can't convince you that you don't know what you're talking about so let's give it a rest.
Both games render foliage by using billboards with a subsurface scattering shader, but which for the most part don't cast shadows or self-shadows.

BOTW has a very advanced weather simulation system that includes wind and wind physics (Just like Witcher 3) that affects cloud formation. Clouds in BOTW are simulated from the inputs of the wind system, using noise to generate the texture of the clouds, just like other current gen games, and they cast shadows and have subsurface scattering, just like other current gen games. The Witcher 3 uses moving billboards instead, but it's very effective as well.

Just like in The Witcher 3, game systems are affected by the weather system. And like in The Witcher 3, this means that foliage and cloth react to the wind simulation, as well as other forces in the environment like the shockwaves from explosions. (On top of this, the foliage in BOTW can burn, and the fire is affected by the weather system)
Just like in The Witcher 3, there is a main light point (Sun and moon) that casts global shadows, influences a simulation of the color of the sky (Rayleigh scattering) which in turn feeds into the image-based lighting for the color cast on the environment, and also some form of global illumination, and then additional lights that do not have the impact in the indirect lighting.

Both games are using a physically based renderer.

You just need to look at a timelapse of both games to see that they are both using broadly the same techniques, for rendering, for foliage, and for the lighting and weather systems. The assets are completely different, The Witcher 3 has a higher density of assets, and it obviously has a more realistic look, but the rendering techniques are fairly similar, which is what I was arguing. But of course it's impossible to talk about Nintendo games without people getting riled up.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Good thing they they are bringing it to more platforms. But if anyone is really interested to play it just buy it on any laptop for dirt cheap and play it at low resolution, and it most likely will run better than the switch.

Honestly it sometimes hard to distinguish if someone is trolling or has just no technical knowledge at all. You are trolling, are you?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
No. It's not. Completely different games. TW3 will definitely use es dynamic more heavily and more often.

I talking about resolutions not about games, and with infos we have we talking about very similar resolutions for Doom/Wolf and Witcher 3.
Thing is that Doom and Wolf2 using dynamic resolution havily and very offten, you dont know how much Witcher 3 will use dynamic resolutions, its hard to compare two ports yet espacily because Doom and Wolf2 maintain almost all effects that exist in XB1/PS4 versions and that maybe want be case with Witcher 3 port.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
This thread goes about what I expected.

Now that the impossible has been done (again) it's time to criticize and downplay all that's been done to make the impossible possible. :lol

Every. Time.
Lol Are you people for real?

"The impossible has been done" lmao

Do you realise that if you downgrade a game enough (by reducing poly count, textures resolution, draw distance and everything related to image quality), you can actually port games even from Xbox One X ro 3DS.

Devs: we've had to reduce the game to sub low settings to port it.
Nintendo fans on ERA: bravo, the impossible has been done.

Lol

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I thought the exact same thing when I heard about a non-stable 30fps and 900p/1080p on Xbox one and PS4. I mean seriously, anyone not running this at 4k 60fps with graphics mods is barely experiencing the game at all. If that's the only way you can play, fair enough I guess, but it's pretty depressing that you'd forsake the true version.

/s

Oct 27, 2017

What the fuck is the point of this.

Anyway, it was clearly going to take a big hit to come to Switch. Would people prefer it just didn't come out? Are you offended by the very existence of this port? I don't think I'll double dip but having this on the go would be pretty sweet. Worse graphics won't spoil what is one of the best RPGs of all time.