• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018

The Witcher‏ @witchergame
540p handheld, 720p, with dynamic resolution enabled, on screen.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It could look ok in handheld mode but I wouldn't want to play this in docked, the big screen with a resolution like this is 🤢 🤢 🤢

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I knew that It woild need some serious sacrifices. But jeebus, that's a huge downgrade, and they're not even saying if the framerate will at least be locked on 30fps...

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I am in. the fact that they managed to squeeze in the huge amount of content in the Switch is just marvelous! 540p on handheld is acceptable.

Btw, I have the superior version on PC and have completed it. I am missing nothing here.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
It could look ok in handheld mode but I wouldn't want to play this in docked, the big screen with a resolution like this is 🤢 🤢 🤢

Wait why you get Witcher 3 for docked switch. This is one of those games where the reason to get it on switch would be entirely for portable action.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This shows just how far behind Nintendo is to the other console makers with the power of their hardware but it's saving grace is the portability. I doubt Ninendo will ever make a console only system again and I guess they really don't have to.

I expect the game to be full price too.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I kinda expected 540p. Makes sense for such a huge home console game running on a "handheld".

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I'll wait 'til I see videos of how it does in Crookback Bog or Novigrad. I sincerely doubt it's locked at 30FPS in either locale, or anywhere in game

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
pretty impressive, i got a modded switch too so should be fun seeing what overclocking can do

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I knew that It woild need some serious sacrifices. But jeebus, that's a huge downgrade, and they're not even saying if the framerate will at least be locked on 30fps...

Witcher 3 on Xbox One is 900p with a bad framerate. Wheres the huge downgrade? Seems about the same downgrade as any PC game compared to how it runs on PS4 / Xbox but no one seems bothered by those

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really the only reason to get this is for handheld play. Playing this blown up at 720p on a 4k tv is not going to look good at all. 540p is pretty reasonable for Switch if they can get it to stay at 30FPS.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 on Xbox One is 900p with a bad framerate. Wheres the huge downgrade? Seems about the same downgrade as any PC game running on PS4 / Xbox but no one seems bothered by those

There looks to be a lot less vegetation, lower polygon counts, and worse textures. We don't know if effects have been downgraded, but it's likely.
This isn't just a lower resolution copy of the Xbox/PS4 versions.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
As long as it maintains a stable 30 FPS, I'll bite.
giphy.gif

ket

Jul 27, 2018
why do open world games like BOTW have better resolutions in both modes than a 2015 open world game that has to run in 540p in handheld mode?

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This shows just how far behind Nintendo is to the other console makers with the power of their hardware but it's saving grace is the portability. I doubt Ninendo will ever make a console only system again and I guess they really don't have to.

I expect the game to be full price too.

Breaking and shocking news, everyone. Switch is less powerful than PS4/XBO.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Seems reasonable and as the trailer shows looks better than it sounds. But people will not go off the way it actually looks but only by the numbers

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta ask to anyone offended by this news: What did you expect?

It's actually impressive to me considering the specs.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I think the real takeaway from this is that literally anything can be ported to Switch with enough compromises.

Outside of games bigger than Witcher 3, like RDR2 or Cyberpunk.

May 9, 2018
This is a gentle reminder that lower-res ports of recent games like Team Sonic Racing and Saints Row III have sold gangbusters despite the obvious downgrades relative to other consoles.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breaking and shocking news, everyone. Switch is less powerful than PS4/XBO.
We already knew that smart ass but at least now we can really see the difference with something that multiplat and open world.

I'm guessing that's the difference between multiplatform port jobs and console exclusive efforts

There is way more stuff/interaction to do in Witcher 3 but yes, exclusives will take more advantage of the hardware and will develop specifically within the limits of that hardware. This will include how many enemies you can have onscreen, how many items you can interact with and so on.

Last edited:

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
There looks to be a lot less vegetation, lower polygon counts, and worse textures. We don't know if effects have been downgraded, but it's likely.
This isn't just a lower resolution copy of the Xbox/PS4 versions.

And the Xbox / PS4 versions aren't just lower resolution versions of the PC game. You seem to be missing my point.