• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
What the fuck is the point of this.

Anyway, it was clearly going to take a big hit to come to Switch. I don't think I'll double dip but having this on the go would be pretty sweet. Worse graphics won't spoil what is one of the best RPGs of all time.
Do you want me to send you the definition? If I think it's disgusting, I think it's disgusting and I'm free to say so, boss

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol Are you people for real?

"The impossible has been done" lmao

Do you realise that if you downgrade a game enough (by reducing poly count, textures resolution, draw distance and everything related to image quality), you can actually port games even from Xbox One X ro 3DS.

Devs: we've had to reduce the game to sub low settings to port it.
Nintendo fans on ERA: bravo, the impossible has been done.

Lol
It's a bit insulting how you seem to oversimplify the developer's job behind this port, but hey, sub low settings, lmao lol XD.

This is the kind of game that must've been a bitch to port from start to finish. A studio's work to port such a game to a device with these specs should be commended, not laughed at.

To me this is RE2 on N64 levels of porting: to make the unexpected happen.

Last edited:

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Like I'm really annoyed at the way xenoblade looks but some people are okay with it. Good for them. It's like if you dare say anything negative concerning the switch, some people for some reason feel personally slighted

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Ah I see people are still trying to attack Nintendo's chosen specs for a handheld/console hybrid despite technological limitations of such a device and the sheer factor of even having a title like The Witcher 3 put on there. Yes it is downgraded, but that is an astonishing feat to have one of the best RPG games in awhile come to a hybrid system that utilises mobile tech parts. Pointing out that "Nintendo is so far behind the tech race" isn't exactly new news nor is it actually applicable given the context of the system.

Unless of course you go back in time and ask Nintendo to put in some unfeasible or not-yet invented mobile parts and price it at $699+.

Switch is a fine device, but they did go with a Tegra X1 derivative while more powerfull options were available, at not that much higher prices.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? Plugging in a USB dual shock and opening a client it's too cumbersome or inconvenient?

Maybe PC gaming might be inconvenient to you in that perspective, since it's like every PC game works (expect for the 15 second connection to the console or 1 minute boot up).

About the native play, people are using my quote as a misguided example of PLAYING. When I was talking about graphical quality and image quality.

And comparing a 4K Downsample image (PS4 Pro) or a 1080p (PS4) Downsample to the Switch version, I would easily choose the Vita image quality with full graphic options instead of the Switch Version (even by acknowledging a remarkable achievement).
No, that's not what I meant. I see now that you meant only to touch upon aspects of visual fidelity in your original response, but the person you were responding to was asking where the best experience might be, and I took that to be a question that related to more than just visuals.

I took that to mean that you were recommending remote play and PC streaming as inherently better experiences than playing the game natively on a portable game device designed specifically for the function. They can undoubtedly be better visual experiences, but given what I thought you were saying, I intended only to suggest that there's advantages to native play on Switch despite constraints elsewhere, and constraints to streamed play despite advantages elsewhere, that make the Switch version a better alternative for playing the game portably than fidelity-centric comparisons might suggest.

Believe me, I don't find much to be cumbersome or inconvenient when it comes to streaming. My experience with streaming is extensive, and I stream all the time to a number of devices with every streaming-capable gaming device I own. Phones, tablets, gaming PCs, laptops, consoles, televisions... you name it, I've clocked dozens of hours playing streamed games on it. I think streaming is amazing and it opens up a world of new possibilities and conveniences of its own.

As does the Switch version of this game - a full-fat, feature-complete current-gen open world RPG making its way to a handheld platform fully intact, with no cutbacks beyond expected visual downgrades, for the first time, really. It really is a remarkable achievement. In fact, ts release on Switch is an unprecedented enough thing in the handheld space that he visual cutbacks do very little to take away from that fact.

Consider that a significant number of gamers generally considered handhelds to be the premier place to enjoy long and intricate RPGs back when the GBA, DS, and PSP were in their heydays.

This, despite the fact that GBA RPGs looked like SNES games and sounded worse. This, despite the fact that DS and PSP RPGs tended to lack the spectacle and presentational paradigm shifts seen on RPGs hitting console platforms at the time. This, despite the fact that experiences present on console platforms of the era often weren't even achievable on portable platforms, and that direct ports of RPGs from those consoles to their handheld counterparts was generally impossible, or necessitated extensive ground-up redevelopment and major alterations to content, mechanics, and especially visuals.

Despite all this, people loved those handhelds as RPG machines because handhelds are a convenient and accessible place to play such games. People happily played and loved Golden Sun in the era of Final Fantasy X. People happily played and loved the critically acclaimed isometric sprite-based Tony Hawk games on GBA in the era of THPS4 and THUG. And among them, people who owned both PS2 and GBA, and still found a lot to love in the GBA's library of RPGs.

Witcher 3 is a current-gen masterpiece. It it an intricate open world RPG, one of the largest-scale open world RPGs ever released. It's the RPG that set the bar for an entire generation of RPGs on consoles.

And it's been ported to a same-generation handheld game system, in its entirety. Not a spinoff, not a completely different vision of the game developed separately as necessitated by traditional handheld constraints. The full, real thing. And the only trade off is a positively reasonable reduction to resolution and fidelity. And despite this game's origins as a AAA console RPG with high production values, TW3's visual identity is still retained on Switch, and again, nothing else is changed or lost in the translation. It's a really impressive thing.

And for those of you in this thread who would suggest that the Switch version is still too compromised to justify, I've got an upcoming series of posts for you, starting right after this one, that I hope will color your perspective with some much-needed context, and allow you to respect the achievement this port stands to represent.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
It's crazy the hate for Switch versions of games. If you say a game could come and would be a nice addition to the library, everyone jumps on you because "there's no way it can run on the Switch".
Then when the games are announce, everyone starts "Its gonna run like complete shit (Insert hyperbole) and I don't know how anyone in their sane mind could play that and why they would want to"
No matter what happens, there's no way to talk about the Switch here without trolls.

You are NOT allowed to play a game lower than 1080p!!1

I remember threads about doom and wolfenstein on switch. Oh man.its like when you liked to play the games you are a lesser human being.
I played through both docked and had a great time (which is impossible)

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
It's a bit insulting how you seem to oversimplify the developer's job behind this port, but hey, sub low settings, lmao lol XD.

This is the kind of game that must've been a bitch to port from start to finish. A studio's work to port such a game to a device with these specs should be commended, not laughed at.

To me this is RE2 on N64 levels of porting: to make the unexpected happen.
You're missing the point.

Let me reiterate: it's not unexpected or impossible to down port a game to any console.

If you sacrifice image quality and assets quality you can downport from xbox one x to 3ds.

I'm sure even rdr2 can be ported to switch with low poly characters and low res textures, no AA, low distance draw and low object density.
I wouldn't call it impossible or unexpected but ok.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
So the game is 32GB, yet fits onto a 32GB cartridge...What

Surely there will be a small download then? If you're missing my point, a 32GB cartridge doesn't actually hold 32GB, it's more like 27.

Sounds like the audio would be ok then, tbh just removing 1080p assets would save on a ton of space.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
You're missing the point.

Let me reiterate: it's not unexpected or impossible to down port a game to any console.

If you sacrifice image quality and assets quality you can downport from xbox one x to 3ds.

I'm sure even rdr2 can be ported to switch with low poly characters and low res textures, no AA, low distance draw and low object density.
I wouldn't call it impossible or unexpected but ok.
Have you ever ported a game? You realise you're simply, unequivocally wrong, right?

Mameshiba

Oct 28, 2017
Disgusting. I am outraged I have to play such a downgraded port

Oh wait, no I'm not because I'm free to play it on another console at higher res if I want and I'm not a fucking child

And if I was that petty, I'd stink up every game thread talking about how console performance is a massive downgrade from pc! But again I won't, because that would be fucking asinine

If you started posting how superior the PC version is in console threads, you would get banned pretty swiftly. The moderation in this forum is simply incompetent when it comes to concern trolling from homeconsole users.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Like I'm really annoyed at the way xenoblade looks but some people are okay with it. Good for them. It's like if you dare say anything negative concerning the switch, some people for some reason feel personally slighted

I think it's more that just posting "disgusting" and nothing else makes you look like a troll.

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Do not be afraid of the ignore button. It's really made my experiences on the forum much better.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ported my own game from Wintermutw engine to Godot engine. Does that count? Lol

I'm not wrong about downporting but it's ok. Keep thinking that they achieved the impossible lol
And you keep taking the word 'impossible' in its most literal meaning as possible.

Obviously I meant it as very rarely will a studio will invest the amount of time and money necessary to port and tweak a game of this caliber to this console, is all.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I ported my own game from Wintermutw engine to Godot engine. Does that count? Lol

I'm not wrong about downporting but it's ok. Keep thinking that they achieved the impossible lol
I've been a developer for 5 years, I just hope everyone knows what you're saying is nonsense. If you're talking about moving from a strong GPU to a weaker GPU by making cutbacks in that department, theoretically you could just remake the entire visual components of the game until it worked, sure. Eventually lods and texture downscaling might not be enough, and you'd end up basically remaking the game on a visual front (I guess there's a debate about whether or not this is a port or simply a remake). The moment you factor the CPU in there, you might have to sacrifice core systems of the game. Reducing AI counts or environment sizes might not be enough, if the game relies on any CPU heavy systems for it's core makeup (a physics heavy game, or the like). The same could really be said for any fundamental GPU-centric elements, like a reliance on real time lighting or dynamic shadows (splinter cell wouldn't have worked on an N64, sorry).

The fact of the matter is, this isn't a remake, it's using the absolute same fabric as the PS4/PC/XboxOne version, albeit heavily cut back. This is mighty impressive.

I should say, I'm actually a big advocate for the idea that things can be ported more often than people on ERA seem to think. But the idea that anything can be ported to anything is simply ludicrous. I guess you could try and make a DS game with the same spirit as RDR2, but you're sure as fuck not going to port that game to it lol.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Xenoblade is unfinished anyway so it's most certainly not going to be the best game to use as comparisons.
It's certainly not good to be ok with this game but it's only a fluke so it'll get better.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Still can't believe they managed to get it running. If anyone who buys this on the switch especially after how long it's been on other consoles manages to only just complain about the frame rate and all that bullshit then that's a good sign of how pathetic that person is

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I think it's more that just posting "disgusting" and nothing else makes you look like a troll.
I can see that and that's fair enough. I also just post " sounds good" for the things I think sound good. Even so, im not gonna tiptoe around eggshells in fear of upsetting people who are easily upset by someone not liking something they like or are content with for fear of invalidating their playing preferences or such and such

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Some of the posts in this thread are really sad and embarrassing. Some users are just straight up bullying any potential buyers because it won't run on 4k with ultra graphics, a real shame.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I've been a developer for 5 years, I just hope everyone knows what you're saying is nonsense. If you're talking about moving from a strong GPU to a weaker GPU by making cutbacks in that department, theoretically you could just remake the entire visual components of the game until it worked, sure. Eventually lods and texture downscaling might not be enough, and you'd end up basically remaking the game on a visual front (I guess there's a debate about whether or not this is a port or simply a remake). The moment you factor the CPU in there, you might have to sacrifice core systems of the game. Reducing AI counts or environment sizes might not be enough, if the game relies on any CPU heavy systems for it's core makeup (a physics heavy game, or the like). The same could really be said for any fundamental GPU-centric elements, like a reliance on real time lighting or dynamic shadows (splinter cell wouldn't have worked on an N64, sorry).

The fact of the matter is, this isn't a remake, it's using the absolute same fabric as the PS4/PC/XboxOne version, albeit heavily cut back. This is mighty impressive.

I should say, I'm actually a big advocate for the idea that things can be ported more often than people on ERA seem to think. But the idea that anything can be ported to anything is simply ludicrous. I guess you could try and make a DS game with the same spirit as RDR2, but you're sure as fuck not going to port that game to it lol.
To chime in, I think the biggest point of contention with the Switch is that some people (Me, for example) think there is enough similarity in the performance of the Switch (And complete feature set parity) that any game that exists on PS4/Xbox One and has decent performance can be ported over, keeping the same code base, assets, shading, etc. and be perfectly playable and enjoyable, obviously with Lod, texture and resolution cutbacks like we see here, but ultimately the same game; and some people think these are miracles that were never meant to be.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
To chime in, I think the biggest point of contention with the Switch is that some people (Me, for example) think there is enough similarity in the performance of the Switch (And complete feature set parity) that any game that exists on PS4/Xbox One and has decent performance can be ported over, keeping the same code base, assets, shading, etc. and be perfectly playable and enjoyable, obviously with Lod, texture and resolution cutbacks like we see here, but ultimately the same game; and some people think these are miracles that were never meant to be.
Oh yeah I totally agree with you. I actually think we haven't seen much this gen that couldn't be ported with said cutbacks. I'm more laughing at the concept of RDR2 on DS. The Witcher on switch isn't a miracle, but it's a damn achievement none the less.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
That and while I can understand people being OK with 540p/dynamic 720p in portable/docked, but resolution isn't the only cut-back compared to the other console versions. Just based on the early screens/trailer a lot of visual features have been pared back drastically and we're not sure about the performance yet either.

For those who've never played or seen the game elsewhere before, it might be a great version. But for anyone who has played the game on other devices, it's not trolling or derailing if they're pointing out the game's visual shortcomings.

I have it on the PS4 and I'm getting the Switch version for the portability factor.

I rarely play my PS4 because I don't have the time. My 3DS/Switch get the most use because I can use them in small batches, when I'm not home.

I'm looking forward to being able to my one of my all time favorite games without being confined to my living room.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Oh yeah I totally agree with you. I actually think we haven't seen much this gen that couldn't be ported with said cutbacks. I'm more laughing at the concept of RDR2 on DS. The Witcher on switch isn't a miracle, but it's a damn achievement none the less.
I mean, I think The Witcher 3 is a damn achievement period. So much went into crafting the thing and making it be performant that I think it's a damn achievement on PS4, on XBOX, on PC... And Switch is simply an extension of that achievement. Obviously it takes lots of talent and knowledge to port all of that code to a different platform and keep the level of optimization, I just think the level of performance the game gets on PS4 is every bit as impressive as what it does on Switch.

For instance, people here would kill you for saying this, but I think Red Dead Redemption 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 could see a Switch version just like The Witcher 3 is seeing a Switch version, and they would look just fine with the same sort of sacrifices The Witcher 3 has seen.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo can't catch a breath, can they?

When the major 3rd party games from the other current consoles skip the device: "No 3rd party support! That's really shitty lol!"

When it finally gets a major 3rd party game from the other current consoles but suffers the inevitable downgrade : "lol that's really bad. Who wants to play this potato port anyway?"

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Ridiculous take and a shame to your username.
It is, what do you want me to say.

Takahashi said they would never do that again. Use a reduced team and external help like that.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was a Wii U game initially. Would explain the problems even more.

And that is, away from the fact that I didn't like it. It needed so many updates and still not work completely fine.

But, cool for people who loved it.
Nintendo can't catch a breath, can they?

When the major 3rd party games from the other current consoles skip the device: "No 3rd party support! That's really shitty lol!"

When it finally gets a major 3rd party game from the other current consoles but suffers the inevitable downgrade : "lol that's really bad. Who wants to play this potato port anyway?"
They don't want their beloved console to look cheap compared to the ridiculous baby Switch.
Nothing new.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
1*s59T34lM1GZx6UUku8ECEw.jpeg

I'd like to see how it performs before considering a buy.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This will be a series of posts meant to reinstate some perspective on what is and isn't impressive or worth applauding in the context of handheld gaming.

Witcher 3 is a masterpiece. It it an intricate current-gen AAA open-world RPG, one of the largest-scale open-world RPGs ever released. It's the RPG that set the bar for an entire generation of RPGs on consoles. And it's been ported to Switch, in its entirety, no alterations to content or mechanics. You'll soon learn (or remember) that that makes TW3 on Switch a rather unique case, and that in fact, The Witcher 3's visuals on Switch are among the most impressive ever seen for a port of an ambitious, large scale AAA game to a handheld platform.

The Nintendo Switch has a 6" 720p, 237ppi screen.

540p (the resolution at which The Witcher 3 runs on Switch as a handheld game) is 75% of the Nintendo Switch's native screen resolution.

At 75% of 720p @ 6", that means that The Witcher 3 on Switch has an effective PPI of 177.75.

We're going to compare these measures against those of other games over a series of posts, including some of the most lauded technical achievements in handheld gaming history. Ports of games, engines, and designs that people had once thought impossible on handhelds. Games that were universally celebrated for 'technical wizardry', and for advancing the state of handheld gaming.

In addition to those measures, I will mention compromises made to mechanics, design, and gameplay - major changes made to content and gameplay that made these milestones in handheld gaming possible to achieve. Deep cuts that go beyond impacting the audiovisual experience and change the nature of gameplay itself.

If the effective PPI of a listed game is lower than TW3's 177.75, then that means that the game in question appears blurrier and lower-resolution on its home platform's screen than The Witcher 3 appears on Switch's screen. The lower the effective PPI, the more noticeable the blur.

And if the % of native resolution is lower, then as a result, image upscaling to native resolution, which further degrades image quality and results in additional blur, has more of a negative effect on that game's image quality as played on its home platform's screen, than Witcher 3 Switch's % of native resolution has on its image quality on Switch's screen.

-------

Let's begin, with a Vita game. The Playstation Vita has a 5" 544p, 220ppi screen.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Vita)
Released in 2012, considered to be one of Vita's most impressive ports - a port of an open-world racing game from PS3 and 360 over to PS Vita
Genre: Racing
Resolution: 640X384 (384p), 70% of native resolution, 155 effective PPI
Screenshots and comparisons (to PS3)

Content changes: Severe reduction to traffic density, severe reduction to the number of competitors and police patrols during races and events both offline and online

Tomorrow I'll post a couple of more Vita 'miracle port' breakdowns in one post, so we can see how other ports of ambitious current-gen AAA games to handhelds held up in the past, and can let that context inform our expectations appropriately.

I fucking loved that Most Wanted game on my Vita. Think it was my most played game before I sold it lol.

How could you have possibly enjoyed Most Wanted on Vita when it looked like this!??!??

nsf4wk1f.png

Just kidding. I loved it because it was a full-fat AAA console racing game with shitloads of cars and Autolog MP functionality on a handheld. Visual cutbacks weren't enough to outweigh the value of solid gameplay and content. Hell, not even the content cutbacks were.

Last edited:

Jenoss

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why people that are not interested in the title are still discussing about it there..

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
I fucking loved that Most Wanted game on my Vita. Think it was my most played game before I sold it lol.

Will happily buy Witcher 3 to replay it, play the DLC, and support these kind of efforts.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
This sounds great!

Looking forward to the day that the people who get mad that some game they won't buy might not have enough pixels get their place in the DSM-5. I mean, imagine the sheer amount of nerd... er, I mean "nerve" required to think that you've better considered the feasibility of this port than the people doing it.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the performance is decent, 540p is fine on the Switch screen. I will probably get this if impressions are alright, just to be able to play this fantastic game (and the DLC which I did not yet play) in my hands.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That's absolutely shocking and the game is over 4 years old now. I doubt the frame rate will hold up either.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to repeat this:

The Witcher 3 Switch |OT| How Dare This Exist Edition

Some of the reactions in this thread and others are just flabbergasting.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

tenor.gif

You can theoretically downport RDR2 to Game Boy. What people are saying here is it's amazing that they were able to downport the game to run on Switch and it still be a sellable product. You know this, I'm sure. I guess you just feeling like arguing on your high horse?

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
Lol Are you people for real?

"The impossible has been done" lmao

Do you realise that if you downgrade a game enough (by reducing poly count, textures resolution, draw distance and everything related to image quality), you can actually port games even from Xbox One X ro 3DS.

Devs: we've had to reduce the game to sub low settings to port it.
Nintendo fans on ERA: bravo, the impossible has been done.

Lol

Ok then, go port The Witcher on 3DS, I would like to play it!

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This will be a series of posts meant to reinstate some perspective on what is and isn't impressive or worth applauding in the context of handheld gaming.

Witcher 3 is a masterpiece. It it an intricate current-gen AAA open-world RPG, one of the largest-scale open-world RPGs ever released. It's the RPG that set the bar for an entire generation of RPGs on consoles. And it's been ported to Switch, in its entirety, no alterations to content or mechanics. You'll soon learn (or remember) that that makes TW3 on Switch a rather unique case, and that in fact, The Witcher 3's visuals on Switch are among the most impressive ever seen for a port of an ambitious, large scale AAA game to a handheld platform.

The Nintendo Switch has a 6" 720p, 237ppi screen.

540p (the resolution at which The Witcher 3 runs on Switch as a handheld game) is 75% of the Nintendo Switch's native screen resolution.

At 75% of 720p @ 6", that means that The Witcher 3 on Switch has an effective PPI of 177.75.

We're going to compare these measures against those of other games over a series of posts, including some of the most lauded technical achievements in handheld gaming history. Ports of games, engines, and designs that people had once thought impossible on handhelds. Games that were universally celebrated for 'technical wizardry', and for advancing the state of handheld gaming.

In addition to those measures, I will mention compromises made to mechanics, design, and gameplay - major changes made to content and gameplay that made these milestones in handheld gaming possible to achieve. Deep cuts that go beyond impacting the audiovisual experience and change the nature of gameplay itself.

If the effective PPI of a listed game is lower than TW3's 177.75, then that means that the game in question appears blurrier and lower-resolution on its home platform's screen than The Witcher 3 appears on Switch's screen. The lower the effective PPI, the more noticeable the blur.

And if the % of native resolution is lower, then as a result, image upscaling to native resolution, which further degrades image quality and results in additional blur, has more of a negative effect on that game's image quality as played on its home platform's screen, than Witcher 3 Switch's % of native resolution has on its image quality on Switch's screen.

-------

Let's begin, with a Vita game. The Playstation Vita has a 5" 544p, 220ppi screen.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Vita)
Released in 2012, considered to be one of Vita's most impressive ports - a port of an open-world racing game from PS3 and 360 over to PS Vita
Genre: Racing
Resolution: 640X384 (384p), 70% of native resolution, 155 effective PPI
Screenshots and comparisons (to PS3)

Content changes: Severe reduction to traffic density, severe reduction to the number of competitors and police patrols during races and events both offline and online

Tomorrow I'll post a couple of more Vita 'miracle port' breakdowns in one post, so we can see how other ports of ambitious current-gen AAA games to handhelds held up in the past, and can let that context inform our expectations appropriately.
The Switch is more relatively powerful for its time to the Psvita. It has a 4000 MAh battery that lasts 2.5h in demanding games and active cooling, whereas the Vita has a 2200 MAh battery that lasts about 3.5 hours.

It simply uses a lot more power. Had the Vita had the same form factor and power usage budget as the Switch, it would have got a lot more third party games with fewer sacrifices.