• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I thought it looked pretty good in the Nintendo Direct and the posted screens. Obviously, not on par with other platforms, but we all know that's impossible. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Curious to see the Digital Foundry video once this releases.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It really is ridiculous and screams of console/PC fanboyism/fear. Can't let little ole Nintendo fans have something good. We need to shit in their cereal because it doesn't have the bestest graphix.
And there's the crux. Some nintendo fans feel bullied and think a subset of console/PC gamers are out to get them. The switch is my only console/platform and xenoblade chronicles 2 has given me a negative impression of dynamic sub resolution. Hence "disgusting" because it can get really bad in that game and legitimately looks like an oil painting at times. If anything saying you can't criticize it at all is fanboyism.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
So the game is appearently being ported by Saber Interactive. (source) How are their track record regarding switch ? Saw some games on wikipedia but played none of them actually.

Spintires: Mudrunners is quite an impressive port I've heard so they're not a 'bad' porting studio.

What gives me hope is that they're collaborating with CDPR themselves so they'll be able to use more insider knowledge of how to best optimise the game. CDPR may not be developing the port but they did an amazing job with TW2 on 360 so they know their stuff.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I meant Switch lol.... that's cuz I was talking about Dead Rising Wii in the previous paragraph.
A paragraph that had a querstion for you, which you conveniently ignored.... ;)

also your answer is a non-answer. By what capacity, I meant if you were a programmer. You might have worked with different game engines as an artist and never wrote a function. But I guess you don't want to say what position you had on those projects.
Technical Artist, among other things. These days I'm an unreal engine generalist, and currently working on a switch port actually, a lot of blueprinting. But frankly this is irrelevant, because no matter how much experience I have, I'll never be able to get Red Dead Redemption 2 working on a Gameboy advance. I'm really sorry about that. I'm also not going to reply to you anymore, because I'm not sure you actually have a shred of understanding.

Looking forward to playing the Witcher 3 on switch though, a thoroughly impressive endeavour.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Sure.

Unfortunately, this isn't the only version of the game, so it is going to be compared to those other versions.

BOTW is superior playing it on CEMU in absolute terms, but I would argue the gulf in the experience isn't as significant as what is presented here.

Certainly the switch has portability, but then so does streaming the game to a phone and tablet.

And this is where I return to my first point, you can always argue that the PC experience is better than a console one (and if youre talking about gulf in experience, then join in on the old 60 vs 30 debate) but it just seems so petty to do so. I see the same pettiness in this thread and its stupid

Obviously the switch version is gonna look worse, and if for you (as for me) you'd rather experience that game on a more powerful platform then I totally get and even agree with that. But this debate about the ports 'right to exist' is fucking ludicrous

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 primarily handheld and that dipped down to a 300-ish p resolution (I can't find the exact figure). Sometimes it was blurry, but ultimately the ability to play portable was worth the tradeoff. Sometimes I would play docked and just marvel at how much better it looked, but the lower visual fidelity didn't prevent me from playing a good game and I doubt this will either.

Apr 9, 2019
Adjusting to Doom 2016 on Switch took like 3 minutes. As long as it's the same game and the general vision of the devs is intact this game'll do fine.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
And this is where I return to my first point, you can always argue that the PC experience is better than a console one (and if youre talking about gulf in experience, then join in on the old 60 vs 30 debate) but it just seems so petty to do so. I see the same pettiness in this thread and its stupid

Obviously the switch version is gonna look worse, and if for you (as for me) you'd rather experience that game on a more powerful platform then I totally get and even agree with that. But this debate about the ports 'right to exist' is fucking ludicrous
Basically this.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
I mean you believe that other than graphics, there's nothing going on in Red Dead Redemption 2 that would prevent it from being ported to Wii. You're not a smart person, I'm sorry.
1st of all, this is an ad hominem. Is there really a need for that?
2nd of all, there's AI routines, there's scripts attached to each object, there's PhysX (or whatever physics library they're using), there's number of instances and a whole lot of things in the background. All of these things are present in the witcher 3 too.

Also if you're an artist, you never wrote a function in your life so yeah...
It's always people like you who are the most vocal, people who never wrote code.

Also you still hadn't replied to what you consider Dead Rising Wii to be; demake or downport?

You're very agressive but you're lacking the knowledge to back your claims. So instead you reply selectively and disingeniously. I guess it's better if we stop here.
Also pro tip: if your arguments are vague and you ignore what the other person says, try at least not to ad hominem. Gives a bad impression.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
why do open world games like BOTW have better resolutions in both modes than a 2015 open world game that has to run in 540p in handheld mode?

BotW was created to run on effectively last gen hardware, the Wii U.

Witcher 3 is a generational leap in terms of polygon count, character models, foliage, lighting and shadows, textures and so on.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I thought Nintendo wasnt cool with that sorta thing.

If this were the 80s, yeah, but Nintendo hasn't given a damn about censoring third-party games for decades at this point. Hell, the Switch only recently got MK11 which has a lot more fucked up shit in it than the few nipple shots that TW3 has.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
1st of all, this is an ad hominem. Is there really a need for that?
2nd of all, there's AI routines, there's scripts attached to each object, there's PhysX (or whatever physics library they're using), there's number of instances and a whole lot of things in the background. All of these things are present in the witcher 3 too.

Also if you're an artist, you never wrote a function in your life so yeah...
It's always people like you who are the most vocal, people who never wrote code.

Also you still hadn't replied to what you consider Dead Rising Wii to be; demake or downport?

You're very agressive but you're lacking the knowledge to back your claims. So instead you reply selectively and disingeniously. I guess it's better if we stop here.
Also pro tip: if your arguments are vague and you ignore what the other person says, try at least not to ad hominem. Gives a bad impression.
I just told you I'm an unreal engine generalist now. I'm not a programmer, but I've dealt with plenty of code. Don't be so selective ;)

Also don't talk to me until you've got Arkham City working on Wonderswan, please.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And there's the crux. Some nintendo fans feel bullied and think a subset of console/PC gamers are out to get them. The switch is my only console and xenoblade chronicles 2 has given me a negative impression of dynamic sub resolution. Hence "disgusting" because it can get really bad in that game and legitimately looks like an oil painting at times. If anything saying you can't criticize it at all is fanboyism.
That's fine. That is your opinion. You are telling other they only way they are allowed to experience a game is at the highest resolutions and frame rates, and if they like it "sub optimally " they are bad and should feel bad.

I have never said no one can criticize anything. I personally think the new Battletoads looks like hot garbage. Not once did I or would I say no one should be allowed to enjoy it or that it should be resemble the older games just in HD.

The prevailing message from a lot of people here is that high end resolutions, frame rates, and graphics are the only way to experience things, all others are shit. If you have that opinion you should just refrain from commenting.(not you personally, you in general)

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just doesn't have the time to commit to an open-world RPG at home but DOES have time at work breaks and occasionally on flights, I'm looking forward to this.

killer7

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
About The Witcher 3 definition and PPI. Here's a website to calculate PPI: https://www.designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/

960x540 in 6.2" = 177.65 PPI

Here's another website to calculate PPI: https://www.sven.de/dpi/

960x540 in 6.2" = Display size: 5.4" × 3.04" = 16.43in² (13.73cm × 7.72cm = 105.97cm²) at 177.65 PPI, 0.143mm dot pitch, 31561 PPI²

Here's a list about games on switch and their resolution + fps (docked and handheld mode):

most of them, 720p

Obviously The Witcher 3 is an open world...

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
As someone who just doesn't have the time to commit to an open-world RPG at home but DOES have time at work breaks and occasionally on flights, I'm looking forward to this.
This is where I am. I travel around a lot and in the case of Doom (which I already own on PC) the switch version was the only way I was really going to get into it with my current lifestyle. I think the same will hold true of this.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

This comparison vid shows how close the game looks to the PS4 version outside of. Drop on texture and foliage on some scenes.

You'll also note that geometry is redone (look at the crow close up) so this port isn't just taking a base game on PC and dialing back settings . Which explains why people still can't believe it's real or keep insisting it will run terribly. Which fair enough remains to be seen.

That said based on what we see this has all the hallmarks of a bespoke port that's going to run well and the goal posts will get moved from unplayable and disgusting to safer territory like ( it doesn't look as good). No duh

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

This comparison vid shows how close the game looks to the PS4 version outside of. Drop on texture and foliage on some scenes.

You'll also note that geometry is redone (look at the crow close up) so this port isn't just taking a base game on PC and dialing back settings . Which explains why people still can't believe it's real or keep insisting it will run terribly. Which fair enough remains to be seen.

That said based on what we see this has all the hallmarks of a bespoke port that's going to run well and the goal posts will get moved from unplayable and disgusting to safer territory like ( it doesn't look as good). No duh

If it runs like crap I'll happily eat crow (heh) but I'm still going to buy it just to have it handheld. I've put like 6 playthroughs and modded the hell out of Witcher 3 on my PC, I'm totally down for another few gos wherever I want.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep, that's definitely playable. Not as bad as we thought.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

I'm more concern about performance than how it actually looked. Is the frame rate and resolution more or less stable, and stuff like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

You don't have to re-do the geometry manually, middleware creates models with different levels of detail automatically. (With usually poorer results and some artifacts that wouldn't exist if done manually) In fact, there's a floating branch on the tree (In the iconic shot) that tells me they used exactly that: A lower LoD bias, and some objects will not load the highest LoD. Something that can be done within the graphics "settings".

Those lower detail model are used in all versions of the game, when you get further away from them those lower detail models are swapped in place of the high detail ones.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
You don't have to re-do the geometry manually, middleware creates models with different levels of detail automatically. (With usually poorer results and some artifacts that wouldn't exist if done manually) In fact, there's a floating branch in the tree that tells me they used exactly that: A lower LoD bias, and some objects will not load the highest LoD. Something that can be done within the graphics "settings".
It may well be lower in places than PC low, but you're absolutely right that it does look predominantly to be a case of different LODs.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
I just told you I'm an unreal engine generalist now. I'm not a programmer, but I've dealt with plenty of code. Don't be so selective ;)

Also don't talk to me until you've got Arkham City working on Wonderswan, please.
lol ok
I see you're still stuck on that whole 'it's not a port, it's a remake thing' from my 'downporting to ds' example.
I'm still curious what you consider Dead Rising Wii to be: a port or demake. Your post from two pages ago was so ambiguous that it fits both demake and downport according to your poorly worded logic.

Anyway, I give up; I'm clearly unable to have a reasonable conversation with you. You're completely right. It was an impossible feat to port Witcher 3 to the Switch lol....

PS: I really loled at "I've dealt with plenty of code" haha... So basically you've never wrote any code in your life but you like to argue about programming and porting games on the Internet, while being passive agressive about it. Got it. It's always people like you, who are 'the experts'.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

Looked at the comments, and dang. That was a whole other experience than looking at a DF video comment section. In the most positive way..
Based on that trailer alone I cant say I understand at all why all are upset about how it looks

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The Switch's tiny screen will mask a lot of the blemishes. Franky the fact that one will be able to play one of the premier games of this generation on a portable device is nothing short of miraculous. I wouldn't play this on my TV, but a game that is so oriented towards conversations could be a delight to play on the go. Also there are hundreds of books in the game and lengthy codex and bestiary entries. Perfect for road trips.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with the more heavily forested areas and of course, Novigrad.

Will they pare down the number of NPCs? Will they dramatically alter the geometry of the city? DF did a video recently that showed that Novigrad is mostly CPU limited if a certain minimum threshold for the GPU is cleared (at low settings).

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
lol ok
I see you're still stuck on that whole 'it's not a port, it's a remake thing' from my 'downporting to ds' example.
I'm still curious what you consider Dead Rising Wii to be: a port or demake. Your post from two pages ago was so ambiguous that it fits both demake and downport according to your poorly worded logic.

Anyway, I give up; I'm clearly unable to have a reasonable conversation with you. You're completely right. It was an impossible feat to port Witcher 3 to the Switch lol....

PS: I really loled at "I've dealt with plenty of code" haha... So basically you've never wrote any code in your life but you like to argue about programming and porting games on the Internet, while being passive agressive about it. Got it. It's always people like you, who are 'the experts'.
I think attacking like that someone who says is literally working on a port of a game to Switch is a bit too aggressive, don't you think? A technical artist has to worry about performance all the time, has to understand what causes performance drops, etc. So a technical artist working on a port would know a thing or two about what it is to port a game to a different system using the same codebase as the other versions.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
I can't even begin to comprehend how confusing this must be for you.

I'm looking forward to this game on Switch, it's a really impressive technical achievement, and a port that clearly required a lot of effort. I'm sorry that upsets you.
You must be confused. You replied to my post, saying that it's nonsense that everything can be downported, your argument being that if too many things are sacrificed, it's called a demake. Which, is correct but it's semantics - my point stills tands.

Nobody's upset about you enjoying Witcher 3 on Switch. I do hope you enjoy it lol

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol ok

The irony of you calling someone out for being passive aggressive at the end of that very post. :lol

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Looked at the comments, and dang. That was a whole other experience than looking at a DF video comment section. In the most positive way..
Based on that trailer alone I cant say I understand at all why all are upset about how it looks
I'm just baffled why anyone is upset by it, or feels the need to attack it. Of course there's going to be compromises. It's only a good thing that this game is coming to the switch.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
That's fine. That is your opinion. You are telling other they only way they are allowed to experience a game is at the highest resolutions and frame rates, and if they like it "sub optimally " they are bad and should feel bad.

I have never said no one can criticize anything. I personally think the new Battletoads looks like hot garbage. Not once did I or would I say no one should be allowed to enjoy it or that it should be resemble the older games just in HD.

The prevailing message from a lot of people here is that high end resolutions, frame rates, and graphics are the only way to experience things, all others are shit. If you have that opinion you should just refrain from commenting.(not you personally, you in general)
I haven't said anyone shouldn't get the game or that they should feel bad about it and i didn't know that resolution was acceptable. The majority of my posts in this thread are arguing with people telling me I am terrible, etc, etc for calling the resolution disgusting. Comprises are gonna be made to get a game like this running on the switch. Some people will be fine with them and some won't. That's just reality.

Jar0d

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
If that the price to pay to down-port AAA to the Switch, I understand why so much third-party aren't willing to. It just looks awful, especially compared to Switch first-party output. I suspect Nintendo is funding the port (32gb cart is a hint), because I really doubt CDPK was interested in the first place.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just baffled why anyone is upset by it, or feels the need to attack it. Of course there's going to be compromises. It's only a good thing that this game is coming to the switch.

It's because there was this whole "no way" argument as recent as a week ago on here and a lot of Switch-defenders said it could work. The fact it's working, and (so far) looks really good, is bothering some people who already planted their feet on the argument.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: post count shaming
If that the price to pay to down-port AAA to the Switch, I understand why so much third-party aren't willing to. It just looks awful, especially compared to Switch first-party output. I suspect Nintendo is funding the port (32gb cart is a hint), because I really doubt CDPK was interested in the first place.

This is trolling.

Pro-tip: when you have like 15 total posts, this isn't a good way to get attention.

lucionm

Jan 10, 2018

Just a personal opinion, no offense to anyone... But it's a bit depressing in my book that many people are more excited about the "DF whatever" than the overall game (portable !!) experience itself.