• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
I think attacking like that someone who says is literally working on a port of a game to Switch is a bit too aggressive, don't you think? A technical artist has to worry about performance all the time, has to understand what causes performance drops, etc. So a technical artist working on a port would know a thing or two about what it is to port a game to a different system using the same codebase as the other versions.
Fair enough, but then don't argue with me about other aspects.
A page ago the user called me stupid, saying I don't understand backend stuff in games lol

I've worked as a programmer with both Unity and recently Godot (and even Wintermute, Luminaire and GM) and I'm pretty sure I understand these things better than an artist that "has dealt with code before". Don't you think that if you're a gaphic artist you're not really in a position to argue about these things, let alone be agressive to other users about it?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Switch is a fine device, but they did go with a Tegra X1 derivative while more powerfull options were available, at not that much higher prices.
Well we don't fully know the costings of the parts available at that time, which definitely plays into development choices. I mean one would argue mobile phones showcase a price point no one would dare charge for a up-to-scratch hybrid console let alone the battery needed for it.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't said anyone shouldn't get the game or that they should feel bad about it and i didn't know that resolution was acceptable. The majority of my posts in this thread are arguing with people telling me I am terrible, etc, etc for calling the resolution disgusting. Comprises are gonna be made to get a game like this running on the switch. Some people will be fine with them and some won't. That's just reality.
Didn't mean to insinuate you did. I apologize if my post came across that way. Others have. It's fine to not like something. It's not okay to tell others they are bad for liking something. Thise people need to just refrain from posting. Same goes for those bemoaning others for liking something they consider "sub-optimal".

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If that the price to pay to down-port AAA to the Switch, I understand why so much third-party aren't willing to. It just looks awful, especially compared to Switch first-party output. I suspect Nintendo is funding the port (32gb cart is a hint), because I really doubt CDPK was interested in the first place.
A few years back this was beautiful to no end:
the-last-of-us-sunset.jpg

And now this, running at the same resolution and probably with a better framerate, a generational leap in lighting and being a huge open world game, is awful?

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-20196112192279_1.jpg

I mean, at some point the hyperbole is just too much. Yes, it looks better elsewhere. No, that doesn't make it awful. If you would have been able to enjoy it only a few years ago, then it shouldn't pain you to play it now. Saying the contrary sounds, to me, like an utter lack of perspective.

A page ago the user called me stupid, saying I don't understand backend stuff in games lol

I've worked as a programmer with both Unity and recently Godot (and even Wintermute, Luminaire and GM) and I'm pretty sure I understand these things better than an artist that "has dealt with code before". Don't you think that if you're a gaphic artist you're not really in a position to argue about these things, let alone be agressive to other users about it?
I didn't follow the whole conversation, but I think a technical artist working on a Switch port knows a thing or two about what it means to port a game within the middleware, which I think is what you are arguing about. She's saying that it's only a port as long as it's done within the same middleware, from the same codebase, which is a reasonable way of understanding a port. It's just semantics in the end.

trunx81

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Besides frame rate I'm more interested in load times. Base PS4 took some time already, at least in my all digital version. If they can get load times under 30 seconds, it's a must buy for me. Heck, send me to an abandoned island with a strong solar charger and a Switch with BotW, Diablo3, Skyrim and Witcher and I'll be happy for a few years.

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
Will wait on digital foundry's finding for framerate but as long as the framerate is comparable to the console versions I'm so in. Story>Graphics in my book.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
Besides frame rate I'm more interested in load times. Base PS4 took some time already, at least in my all digital version. If they can get load times under 30 seconds, it's a must buy for me. Heck, send me to an abandoned island with a strong solar charger and a Switch with BotW, Diablo3, Skyrim and Witcher and I'll be happy for a few years.

Haha...add CIV6 and SSB in and that is my current lineup...pretty content

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just baffled why anyone is upset by it, or feels the need to attack it. Of course there's going to be compromises. It's only a good thing that this game is coming to the switch.

Very much so

If that the price to pay to down-port AAA to the Switch, I understand why so much third-party aren't willing to. It just looks awful, especially compared to Switch first-party output. I suspect Nintendo is funding the port (32gb cart is a hint), because I really doubt CDPK was interested in the first place.

I dont think we've heard anything about Nintendo with publishing duties which would have been the case with any funding. Just because it doesnt look sharp as a knife, doesnt mean the devs arent interested.

Just a personal opinion, no offense to anyone... But it's a bit depressing in my book that many people are more excited about the "DF whatever" than the overall game (portable !!) experience itself.

As good as DF is at what they do, it sometimes feel like it does nothing but put more fuel on the fire. Which just sucks..

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Ah but this is the true irony of the situation - the people complaining don't seem to be owners of 4k 60fps graphics mod mega-rig PCs. This isn't about visuals or playing a version that's "true to the creators intent" or whatever. It's honestly just people sad that others will enjoy this on their switch.

I love my Switch but it sucks that we now have a new tier of this stupid "master race" snobbery

I mean, the sheer dipshittedness of receiving no more information than "540p on handheld" and coming to the conclusion that "game isn't worth it." It's nonsensical lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's very fascinating that the same thing that happens with the Switch (Or with PC versus consoles, or PS4 vs Xbox One a few years back) happens with photography. Everybody keeps saying you cannot take good photographs with APS-C cameras, you have to use full frame because image quality is the only thing that matters. But if somebody tells them "Then why don't you use 8*10" large format cameras" then they come up with a thousand excuses.

Same shit, only this is with videogames.

I guess the only good thing about the shit that rains on the Switch is that the Playstation and Xbox console warriors are now re-united against their new common foe.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
From Eurogamer article about the resolution reveal :

"It's one of the most daring Switch conversions to date, and so there's clearly a need for a lot of smart adjustments," Morgan said. "Resolution-wise it's actually running much higher than I'd expected - and I can confirm CDPR's claim here. It does use a dynamic system to adjust for rendering load on-screen, and testing the footage and screens available, it shows a native 1280x720 at maximum, while other shots count in at around 896x504 lowest. The range may change in the final game - and we'll be back with more testing. But from a quick look here, most shots are coming in at 720p.

Here it is.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
You don't have to re-do the geometry manually, middleware creates models with different levels of detail automatically. (With usually poorer results and some artifacts that wouldn't exist if done manually) In fact, there's a floating branch on the tree (In the iconic shot) that tells me they used exactly that: A lower LoD bias, and some objects will not load the highest LoD. Something that can be done within the graphics "settings".

Those lower detail model are used in all versions of the game, when you get further away from them those lower detail models are swapped in place of the high detail ones.
You may be right

But give how long this game has been rumored I get the sense they probably did redo geometry similar to how YookaLaylee was ported to Switch while hitting a high performance benchmark and iirc even running better than Xone version

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
From Eurogamer article about the resolution reveal :

Here it is.

They also took the tweet to mean 540p locked in handheld mode. I personally assume they meant it will be 540p dynamic but if that's locked that will be extremely impressive. Dragon's Dogma runs at that and looks wonderful on the Switch screen.

Not sure why anyone would want to play this game on the Switch, but whatever floats your boat!

I'm excited to see the Digital Foundry analysis.

Many people prefer playing long RPGs on portables, that's been the case for as long as portables existed.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I have this and love it on the PC but I'm pretty excited to have this to play while I am parked in line waiting to pick my kids up from school everyday.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018

Dude, just drop it. You're coming off as a passive aggressive nitpicking whiner, is that what you want?

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
Dude, just drop it. You're coming off as a passive aggressive nitpicking whiner, is that what you want?
I don't see how I'm the passive agressive one when that user called me stupid a few pages ago (while arguing with me about backend programming - I'm a programmer, that user's an artist), but whatever.

Not to mention hilariously accusing me (after running out of things to say) that I'm upset about other people enjoying Witcher 3 on Switch, while I never said or implied that lol (the discussion I was having was about porting games to less powerful hardware).

MikeH

Dec 3, 2018
Adding a loading screen before entering Novigrad would improve the performance there, right? If so then adding it wouldn't be a bad idea, most of the time people use fast travel to go there anyways.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
We have literally video comparing the Switch reveal with the PS4, and showing that the downgrade is far from shocking. I don't understand how anyone can be negative about what we currently know from the switch version of The Witcher 3.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
This is a Super Switch-enhances game is it, what with the dynamic resolution and all.

And yes, I'm going to call the Switch Pro the Super Switch moving forward.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
We have literally video comparing the Switch reveal with the PS4, and showing that the downgrade is far from shocking. I don't understand how anyone can be negative about what we currently know from the switch version of The Witcher 3.
How many of the people saying this port is garbage even have a Switch?

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Not sure why anyone would want to play this game on the Switch, but whatever floats your boat!

I'm excited to see the Digital Foundry analysis.

The Witcher 3 portable .. My favorites characters, one of my fa
The Switch's tiny screen will mask a lot of the blemishes. Franky the fact that one will be able to play one of the premier games of this generation on a portable device is nothing short of miraculous. I wouldn't play this on my TV, but a game that is so oriented towards conversations could be a delight to play on the go. Also there are hundreds of books in the game and lengthy codex and bestiary entries. Perfect for road trips.

This!!

I think this game will look marvelous on handheld mode

.I play 80% of the time on Switch handheld mode cause it masks some graphical stuff for me that are easier to notice when playing it on the TV instead.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
It's no secret that the switch is not as powerful as a PS4Pro. Not sure why people are comparing the two? The Switch version is going to do its best based on its hardware and it will not reach the level of PS4 and that's that. Doesn't mean it's going to suck, it will just be different. We will find out this fall what it is capable of. (=

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
How many of the people saying this port is garbage even have a Switch?
Let's say it like this. While I am certain a few of those do, I don't recall seeing the avatars of the the vast majority of those that say so in any Switch related thread nor did random post history searches find those I did check just for lols.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
If that's how powerful the Switch is, that's how powerful it is...

Witcher 3 is still a great game even if you're not getting the best looking version.

Though it kind of does make you wonder, if that's the reason why some of the open world RPGs on the Switch are so barren (like Pokemon and Zelda). If they had more power, would they be more dense?

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
It'll definitely lose the screenshot/photomode factor. It's at least 30% of why I played the game. Gorgeous vistas and scenery. Around 90% post game as the graphics are the only thing that kept me going to complete those question marks in the map.

As for just playing the game normally(main quest and side quests) it's a great way to play the game.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I played 90% of Hellblade in docked mode (that's rare as I'm not often at home, but it was a fairly short game) and found it beautiful and very much immersive, even though it's dynamic 720p.
I'm sure Witcher 3 will be fine both in handheld and docked on the current Switch. And if a Switch Pro follows, that's even better for those willing to get a slightly enhanced experience.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Still amazed that this thought to be "impossible" port is even a reality. What's next, Cyberpunk 2077 on Switch?

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017

I would assume that the massive sales of the open world Zelda and maybe the sales of Skyrim could have something to do with it...

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't see how I'm the passive agressive one when that user called me stupid a few pages ago (while arguing with me about backend programming - I'm a programmer, that user's an artist), but whatever.

Not to mention hilariously accusing me (after running out of things to say) that I'm upset about other people enjoying Witcher 3 on Switch, while I never said or implied that lol (the discussion I was having was about porting games to less powerful hardware).
You need to let go, dude. Also stop undermining my work, I'm practically overseeing the entire process of porting a game from PC to switch using unreal engine. I used to be a technical artist / level designer / general environment artist, now I'm an engine generalist. You're making this weirdly personal, I think you need to calm down.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Still amazed that this thought to be "impossible" port is even a reality. What's next, Cyberpunk 2077 on Switch?
2077 is coming to XBONE
If the Switch Pro is anywhere in the ballpark of 700 Nvidia GFLOPS it's completely possible as a Switch Pro compatible game and maybe streaming for OG Switch

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
2077 is coming to XBONE
If the Switch Pro is anywhere in the ballpark of 700 Nvidia GFLOPS it's completely possible as a Switch Pro compatible game and maybe streaming for OG Switch
This would really blow my mind, from what they've shown already. I mean you're not wrong though, I keep forgetting that game is coming to current gen consoles, Xbox one included.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Are y'all gonna stop using "can't run on Switch" as an argument now or what? Like, I'm sure there are some current games that can't be ported but I'm also sure that only the developers know that, and it's not something you can assess just by looking at a game.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
You need to let go, dude. Also stop undermining my work, I'm practically overseeing the entire process of porting a game from PC to switch using unreal engine. I used to be a technical artist / level designer / general environment artist, now I'm an engine generalist. You're making this weirdly personal, I think you need to calm down.
I'm glad for your career achievements, but I didn't ask you about it, nor do I care.

Also how am I making this personal? I was telling the dude that quoted me that you were the one calling me stupid and acussing me of 'being upset that you can't enjoy the game on Switch' lol (though I never said or implied that)

Sorry if you feel I'm making it personal; I don't really care about you, but if you keep quoting me, I will reply.
Also, it seems to me that you're the one making this personal by enumerating your entire career path until now, when nobody asked you to do so. I'd suggest you take your own advice and let go.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm glad for your career achievements, but I didn't ask you about it, nor do I care.

Also how am I making this personal? I was telling the dude that quoted me that you were the one calling me stupid and acussing me of 'being upset that you can't enjoy the game on Switch' lol (though I never said or implied that)

Sorry if you feel I'm making it personal; I don't really care about you, but if you keep quoting me, I will reply.
Also, it seems to me that you're the one making this personally by enumerating your entire career path until now, when nobody asked you to do so. I'd suggest you take your own advice and let go.
You straight up asked me what I did in the industry, ignored what I said and dismissed my experience as "just an artist" even though I told you what I do goes pretty deep into understanding the engine and porting in particular. You're right though, I need to stop talking to you, you're pretty insulting and you don't have much to say. Enjoy the switch port, dude.