• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mihai_

Banned
Sep 25, 2018
You straight up asked me what I did in the industry, ignored what I said and dismissed my experience as "just an artist" even though I told you what I do goes pretty deep into understanding the engine and porting in particular. You're right though, I need to stop talking to you, you're pretty insulting and you don't have much to say. Enjoy the switch port, dude.
Says the person who literally called me stupid a while ago (also while arguing with me about backend programming and AI routines). This is highly hypocritical of you ;)

I dismissed your work experience because you obviously haven't written code in your entire life, so you're in no position to argue about AI routines and stuff that happens in the background. So I'm not interested in what titles you held over time; all I care is that you're not a programmer.

It's fine if we disagree about the porting issue and it's fine if you didn't address my questions regarding your initial post. But being unreasonable and especially being rude and putting words into my mouth is not fine. You need to talk a step back and asses your behaviour because it's not ok.

I suppose I should've ignored you a long time ago.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
2077 is coming to XBONE
If the Switch Pro is anywhere in the ballpark of 700 Nvidia GFLOPS it's completely possible as a Switch Pro compatible game and maybe streaming for OG Switch

I don't want to be the boring guy however it might be so that the xbone version will be 30fps 720p dynamic which will be a hard thing to port to Switch.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if there will be cuts to stuff like character population and density. Will AI make it intact? I can take a downgrade, the game actually looks kinda nice on Switch.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its much better than i expected tbh, the Switch is what it is, undocked its not that different from a Wii U, resolution however is a problem that should be fixed with a Pro revision.
The bottlenecks on the current Switch become awfully apparent with many subnative res games, some even going lower than Wii U Gamepad resolution

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Let's say it like this. While I am certain a few of those do, I don't recall seeing the avatars of the the vast majority of those that say so in any Switch related thread nor did random post history searches find those I did check just for lols.
Yeah my gut tells me they are just console wars trolls but my guy has been wrong before.

If that's the case people are just so weird caring what people who own different systems are playing or getting excited about.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah my gut tells me they are just console wars trolls but my gut has been wrong before.

If that's the case people are just so weird caring what people who own different systems are playing or getting excited about.
The following post basically displays how ridiculous (and rightfully considered as console wars posts) all those "this looks like shit" posts are, for this game and more than a few other Switch ports:
A few years back this was beautiful to no end:
the-last-of-us-sunset.jpg

And now this, running at the same resolution and probably with a better framerate, a generational leap in lighting and being a huge open world game, is awful?

the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-20196112192279_1.jpg

I mean, at some point the hyperbole is just too much. Yes, it looks better elsewhere. No, that doesn't make it awful. If you would have been able to enjoy it only a few years ago, then it shouldn't pain you to play it now. Saying the contrary sounds, to me, like an utter lack of perspective.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's funny that you have one side of people who is disgusted by this while not factoring at all it's a portable. Feels like either stupidity or trolling.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Elfotografoalocado

one thing: that tlou image is a bullshot. this is how it looks on ps3.

628803-the-last-of-us-playstation-3-screenshot-running-through-the.jpg

628818-the-last-of-us-playstation-3-screenshot-this-police-car-seems.jpg

2414720-lastofuslast.png

Also perception changes. Last of Us was six years ago. I use to be fine with 720p but after consuming 1080p content for a few years 720p looks blurry to me. Not after a few years of 4k, I can notice when something is at 1080p. Like they say it's easier to forward than to go backwards.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Also perception changes. Last of Us was six years ago. I use to be fine with 720p but after consuming 1080p content for a few years 720p looks blurry to me. Not after a few years of 4k, I can notice when something is at 1080p. Like they say it's easier to forward than to go backwards.

That may be the case but it doesn't make something awful.

There's a gulf between running a last gen game on Switch at those sub HD resolutions vs. a conversion like the Witcher 3 because we all know what it took to run it this generation.

So the comparison is not fair. I get what Elfotografoalocado is saying and I understand the rebuttal that (well that was last gen) but you have a current gen game on Switch looking better than the last gen game and people are still calling it awful for obvious console warsy reasons. I mean, not saying someone can't hold those views, but posting and sharing it in a thread about the version of a game said person apparently finds disgusting with nothing else to contribute is always very interesting to me in these Switch threads. There's always that one person that does it, and their post history reveals the true intent.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
We're getting closer and closer to 4K being the norm for a lot of games and televisions. 720p (and dynamic at that) really is pushing it.

As a a member of the #PCMasterRace I acknowledge the superiority of 60FPS and high resolutions, but criticizing a Switch game of all things for failing to match those standards is silly as hell. The Switch will never be able to output anything in 4k. A Switch can manage 1080P / 60FPS for only the most basic looking games.

If graphics are of upmost importance for you avoid Switch games at all cost. Once the new consoles come out the gap between Switch and other systems will only get worse.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
i beat the game on pc as well as most of the dlc. Its a story driven game with fairly weak gameplay. Its the opposite of botw (which I rate higher than witcher 3) as I loved the gameplay even though the story was weak.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this is doable on Switch hardware at all though does kinda make me wonder what they could do if the Switch could run full 384 gigaflops undocked and Nintendo removed the bottleneck of the really lower performance mode.

Allow for "Pro performance" games, if you have an old Switch it can use the full 384 gigaflop mode, but they can reccomend you buy a battery pack. And then let the Switch Pro really stretch its legs at 600-700 gigaflops docked.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Game gets trailer: oh ok cool.

Game gets trailer for Switch: wtf is that? I hate it and everyone should hate it too.

This is how I see ERA.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I think a lot of this depends on your TV. I have a 32 inch TV. 720 and 1080 content don't look too different on it.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Game gets trailer: oh ok cool.

Game gets trailer for Switch: wtf is that? I hate it and everyone should hate it too.

This is how I see ERA.
That's not ERA at all. There's currently a thread on the front page filled with people saying the Halo Infinite trailer is graphically unimpressive. So yeah, of course you're going to have a ton of people saying the same thing about Witcher 3 on Switch.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'm not sure between this or RDR2, Witche r 3 looks more appealing at first but I heard red dead is so so good

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Im shocked people were shocked it was ported. If you really want to, you can port almost anything to anything. I know yall remember the old arcade days. Some ridiculous ports happened back then. Carve enough away and reduce enough draw distance and you can definitely port stuff if you want to.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
That's not ERA at all. There's currently a thread on the front page filled with people saying the Halo Infinite trailer is graphically unimpressive. So yeah, of course you're going to have a ton of people saying the same thing about Witcher 3 on Switch.
I don't think anyone thinks Halo Infinite is graphically unimpressive as a whole, just that it doesn't match the hype of how powerful they are touting scarlett to be.
The Witcher 3 being on switch at all is impressive just from a perspective of sheer size and scope. If it runs smoothly it will be even more impressive.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I've played through the base game plus the expansion on PC (in 4K) years ago and here I am trying to rationalize to myself why portability will make this a different experience.

Like, I literally have nothing to justify me wanting to go through this game again, but here I am.

Damn Switch.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Says the person who literally called me stupid a while ago (also while arguing with me about backend programming and AI routines). This is highly hypocritical of you ;)

I dismissed your work experience because you obviously haven't written code in your entire life, so you're in no position to argue about AI routines and stuff that happens in the background. So I'm not interested in what titles you held over time; all I care is that you're not a programmer.

It's fine if we disagree about the porting issue and it's fine if you didn't address my questions regarding your initial post. But being unreasonable and especially being rude and putting words into my mouth is not fine. You need to talk a step back and asses your behaviour because it's not ok.

You argued in an insulting, rude and condescending tone since the beginning and for pages and PAGES despite many users telling you to let go and got banned for racism in an OT thread. You're in absolutely no position to tell anyone how to behave dude, you can't even handle yourself.

But yeah, of course you're in no wrong, everyone's been putting lots of words in your mouth, I hope you're fulfilled because you've eaten a lot of words lately, peace.

Props to Razor Mom for keeping it cool all this time because I would have lost it a while ago.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Continued antagonistic behavior despite previous warning in this thread
It's funny that you have one side of people who is disgusted by this while not factoring at all it's a portable. Feels like either stupidity or trolling.
Or maybe you're a fanboy that can't handle opinions since we're assuming.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Or maybe you're a fanboy that can't handle opinions since we're assuming.
Well, I think everybody here is well aware by now that you do not like this port at all, you will not play it, and think everyone who is willing to take the sacrifice in resolution for portability (To resolutions that people enjoyed only a few years ago) is fundamentally wrong.
I don't think you have a lot else to add to this conversation, and you are just coming across as pedantic and confrontational.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS.

Also my TV is only 720p anyway lol.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
The resolutions make sense considering the game and system we're talking about. The bigger concern will be the performance, so let's hope that's relatively solid. If (when?) I get a Switch, I'll probably buy this for a fourth time as long as it's a good port.

Also what the hell is it with people attacking the port in this thread? Everyone doesn't have to be impressed or happy with what we know so far, but it makes no sense to hold mobile hardware to the same standards as full fledge console. Everything should be viewed within context, otherwise you're only being willfully ignorant.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Aiming for SD (DVD) resolution in docked mode will be better than sacrificing too many environment details. Let's hope it will be mostly stable though. Most Switch gamers play mixed docked/handheld after all, it is no pure handheld console.

Also, they seem the focus on keeping the character models intact; which also looks like a very good choice. The love for tiny face animation details was incredible and added a lot to the narration.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is it will launch near the pro and they will announce a date and pro enhancements once Nintendo announces the revisions

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

Rumor had it that they were using a custom X2, which didnt pan out. That would've been an option. The X1 they are using seems to be fairly unmodified, so perhaps that was an issue wr timeline. Pascal would've been a nice upgrade though. But who knows what this deal entails. Perhaps they set a timeline, incorporating X2 in the future.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rumor had it that they were using a custom X2, which didnt pan out. That would've been an option. The X1 they are using seems to be fairly unmodified, so perhaps that was an issue wr timeline. Pascal would've been a nice upgrade though. But who knows what this deal entails. Perhaps they set a timeline, incorporating X2 in the future.

First: Rumor.

Second: It was known at that time that the X2 was a lot, lot more expensive to obtain than the X1. You could see dev kits going for the price of the entire Switch (or even more) and that was just for the chip on a board.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
First: Rumor.

Second: It was known at that time that the X2 was a lot, lot more expensive to obtain than the X1. You could see dev kits going for the price of the entire Switch (or even more) and that was just for the chip on a board.
Oh yeah sure, seemed like a lot of people in the industry thought it was likely though..
X2 products that are on the market all seem to be low volume custom products. Seems like Nvidia's did not want to build a standard off the shelve version of that product (I've seem some dev's on their board asking for pricing and being rejected at under 500k units) probably due to low volume X1 sales. So what actual cost would be for Nintendo is pure guesswork. I wouldn't go on the price of extremely limited run dev boards. Seeing Nintendo's strategy in the past I doubt they ever really discussed a high volume X2 deal though, X1 hit a certain threshhold, Nvidia was eager to spread costs out over volume, and offered a bunch of support. As of know that seems smart. I just hope they update when the new consoles come out so we can at least get some relatively playable ports. They are right on the edge for current gen ports.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I think one of these comparison vids should be edited into the OP post. Serene?

There is also this PC comparison:

Yesterday I boot up my save, put everything on low, custom resolution at 540p, in windowed mode, and I think I can play it that way on the go, the game is more that visuals and there is a lot of dynamic stuff happening on screen, like wind in the trees, hair flowing, birds flying, etc...
If the frame-rate holds up at 30fps, I will dip again.
Here's a brief clip of that.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I boot up my save, put everything on low, custom resolution at 540p, in windowed mode, and I think I can play it that way on the go, the game is more that visuals and there is a lot of dynamic stuff happening on screen, like wind in the trees, hair flowing, birds flying, etc...
If the frame-rate holds up at 30fps, I will dip again.
Here's a brief clip of that.

If you put that on Youtube I'd be interested on watching it on my Switch screen, just to get an idea of how it would look on that display. Obviously Youtube compression and all but it might be a decent approximation.