• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
We are not yet sure how good or bad the port will be in the end but I somehow wish they would have just contracted a more experienced port studio like Panic Button or Virtuous for this. Well, lets see.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yesterday I boot up my save, put everything on low, custom resolution at 540p, in windowed mode, and I think I can play it that way on the go, the game is more that visuals and there is a lot of dynamic stuff happening on screen, like wind in the trees, hair flowing, birds flying, etc...
If the frame-rate holds up at 30fps, I will dip again.
Here's a brief clip of that.

Thanks for making that video (you'd think some media outlets around the world would've taken this rather simple step already, but alas)! I'm watching it on my pc, and as long as it's a small image (~5.5 inch across) it looks quite good (viewing at 40 cm/16 inch from the screen). As soon as I blow it up to fullscreen (17.3 inch) it obviously looks quite a bit poorer, but if they can get this image quality in portable mode with a solid frame rate, then it should be amazing!

Foliage seems about comparable to the trailer footage, maybe Switch has a little bit less?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
We are not yet sure how good or bad the port will be in the end but I somehow wish they would have just contracted a more experienced port studio like Panic Button or Virtuous for this. Well, lets see.
The studio has already shipped a Switch game that I always thought was very technically impressive even if it's more of an indie game and didn't call much attention. (Spintires: Mudrunner) They are also making a sequel.
So it's not like they lack experience, and they also made the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X patch of Witcher 3, so they have experience with The Witcher 3 itself.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
If you put that on Youtube I'd be interested on watching it on my Switch screen, just to get an idea of how it would look on that display. Obviously Youtube compression and all but it might be a decent approximation.

Yeah I don't think this does any justice, I had to Upscale it to 720p for HD playback, maybe the oficial trailer does that job better? Or even this video from Digital Foundry. But here it is:

Also here is a couple of captures:
LsB7hLo.png

cLhQCAs.png

0kxsgTe.png

2ttsGap.png

I also went to the hidden switch browser just to see how it looks on the screen.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't think this does any justice, I had to Upscale it to 720p for HD playback, maybe the oficial trailer does that job better? Or even this video from Digital Foundry. But here it is:

LsB7hLo.png

cLhQCAs.png

0kxsgTe.png

2ttsGap.png

I also went to the hidden switch browser just to see how it looks on the screen.

Thanks!

I can tell from the UI being blurry in the video that Youtube compression is making it look a lot blurrier than it would otherwise but it still looks decent on the Switch screen.

Mar 31, 2018

LsB7hLo.png

cLhQCAs.png

0kxsgTe.png

2ttsGap.png

I think the Switch version of The Witcher 3 will clearly look less good than on these screenshots and in the video.

I am only interested in this game when there is a Switch Pro or I find a way to overclock the Switch.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I think the Switch version of The Witcher 3 will clearly look less good than on these screenshots and in the video.

I am only interested in this game when there is a Switch Pro or I find a way to overclock the Switch.

Could be that the official screenshots are polished, but Nintendo does seem to have the requirement to only show footage captured on the target device in the Directs. So the trailer should show how it looks on Switch (probably docked) at this development stage.

Reposting this:

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to be the boring guy however it might be so that the xbone version will be 30fps 720p dynamic which will be a hard thing to port to Switch.

People said Hellblade was impossible...
People said TW3 was impossible...

If a publisher tells their employees to port a game then they port a game. Even very early this gen, RotTR on the 360 taught very few lessons I see...

Performance of these games on Switch is another thing entirely but saying anygame is impossible is silly.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I just checked and the (apparently very good) port of Witcher 2 on xbox 360 ran at 1280 x 672. It was also heavily reworked with several loading screens as compared to the PC original from what I've read, and the game wasn't even an open world to begin with!
Really impressive from the devs to port Witcher 3 on Switch, and a clear demonstration that the Switch in its current form sits roughly halfway between the 360 and the Xbox one in terms of what's possible.
While portability will be the main reason why I'll buy the game, I'm certainly sure to enjoy it in docked mode whenever possible.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Its very impressive. Generally, handhelds, if pushing it, have been a notch higher than the preceding generation. PSP was a PS1.5, Vita a PS2.5. If we pegged this at being a PS3.5 experience, I'm all on for the future when we hit PS4.5 levels.

Oct 26, 2017
Why were the hanging bodies removed on Switch?
Edit: in the video above apparently they weren't... I saw another comparison that didn't have them.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't get the complaining to be fair. Either we have it like this, or we don't have it at all.

Agreed, I don't get people complaining about the features of the project. It was never going to be something different.
Yesterday I boot up my save, put everything on low, custom resolution at 540p, in windowed mode, and I think I can play it that way on the go, the game is more that visuals and there is a lot of dynamic stuff happening on screen, like wind in the trees, hair flowing, birds flying, etc...
If the frame-rate holds up at 30fps, I will dip again.
Here's a brief clip of that.

Looks like a very high end ps3 game, which is.... reasonable? I don't know what people were expecting.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I care about is a stable frame rate/pacing and clarity in the UI when playing in handheld. If they pull that's off then it's an instant buy

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It looks perfectly playable in all these vids. Getting more and more excited for this.

Also thank God the powers that be put their feet down (never really used this expression in the plural form before lol). What a mess it got to beforehand.