• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
They just called from the kindergarten. Apparently some other children got lice too, and now my little daughter is infected. Any tips? Never got lice myself. Are we in risk me and my wife to get lice too?

Any recommendations?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Burn everything.

There's shampoo to kill them, and yeah, you need to wash anything she's come in contact with and check yourself for lice as well. Hopefully you caught it early. Good luck.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
That`s not uncommon for kindergarten. Get anti-lice shampoo for all of you, and a comb for lice.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Just go to the shops and get a solution/knit comb. Probably should use it on whole family too.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
There are some special types of shampoo for this situation, buy one and have your whole house use it

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
N L
giphy.gif

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Go to a chemist. There's an option for a silicon treatment you comb into wet hair (that effectively drowns the lice) or a shampoo (that loosens their grip).

Treat the whole family.

You'll need a metal lice comb and to repeat the treatment a couple of weeks later, as the nits (eggs) are very resistant. Life cycle is a month or so, so comb every week and if you're a clear for a month, you're clear.

Also, tell the kindergarten.

Nit comb:

tzM4Z4.jpeg

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Shampoo and lice comb. Pretty common in young kids.

Wash any sheets, comforters, etc. Twice. Little f'ers are resilient.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
That's not uncommon, don't worry

PS: I was legit thinking this was the title of a new game :P

NM_Che56

Jan 17, 2018
I've live through this a few times. I have 3 kids with a TON of hair.

- remove all potentially affected bedding and wash in warm/hot water. You're gonna want to change sheets every day until the nits are gone
- put any stuffed animals in a garbage bag and set it out in your garage or away from other fabrics.
- Wash worn cloths. No re-wearing clothes until they've been washed again.
- Wash jackets. Going forward, don't hang the jacket with everyone else's jackets. Instead, store it in a plastic bag.

- get a nit comb and watch some videos on how to properly go through your child's hair. You're going to have to use that nit comb every day until you don't see any more nits.

There are lice shampoos, but they're largely ineffective. Lice have grown resistant to these OTC products (e.g. Rid)

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Only way to be sure.

TheseSereneLeafbird-small.gif

My younger sister had them in elementary school. It wasn't hard to get rid of them. Shampoo, combing them out after, and then changing bed sheets. No one else in the house got them.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Send her to the grandparents...

My daughter had it years and it's not that huge of deal...just wash the hell out of everything...

NM_Che56

Jan 17, 2018
I've live through this a few times. I have 3 kids with a TON of hair.

- remove all potentially affected bedding and wash in warm/hot water. You're gonna want to change sheets every day until the nits are gone
- put any stuffed animals in a garbage bag and set it out in your garage or away from other fabrics.
- Wash worn cloths. No re-wearing clothes until they've been washed again.
- Wash jackets. Going forward, don't hang the jacket with everyone else's jackets. Instead, store it in a plastic bag.

- get a nit comb and watch some videos on how to properly go through your child's hair. You're going to have to use that nit comb every day until you don't see any more nits.

There are lice shampoos, but they're largely ineffective. Lice have grown resistant to these OTC products (e.g. Rid)

Forgot. Have a talk with your kid about not wearing other people's hats, jackets, etc and to not touch heads. Limit hugging, etc.

I think part of the issue is that kids get so close to each other and they hang their coats so close to each others' coats.

NM_Che56

Jan 17, 2018
Go to a chemist. There's an option for a silicon treatment you comb into wet hair (that effectively drowns the lice) or a shampoo (that loosens their grip).

Treat the whole family.

You'll need a metal lice comb and to repeat the treatment a couple of weeks later, as the nits (eggs) are very resistant. Life cycle is a month or so, so comb every week and if you're a clear for a month, you're clear.

Also, tell the kindergarten.

Nit comb:

tzM4Z4.jpeg
Metal ones! Yes. the plastic ones aren't as good.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
My former stepdaughter picked up lice once at daycare. My ex and I tried Rit and mayonnaise (yes, that's a thing to treat lice infestation). Neither did any good. It wasn't until we tried baby oil shampoos that we finally got the little fuckers unstuck from her follicles.

Edit: Oh yeah, as others are saying, definitely make sure you launder everything in sight. Those little fuckers are persistent.

Last edited:

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
the worst man.

RID/comb, wash everything she's come in contact with, umm.. that's really it.

but yeah it sucks. my daughter caught an outbreak in grade school. then years later her half-sister caught an outbreak as well. her mom gets full on rage if you even mention lice.

ProbablyRobbie

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not that uncommon. My kid got it a year or 2 ago. Go to the drug store and get the lice kit they have, with the shampoo and comb and everything else. Wash everything, sheets, clothes, stuffed animals, everything you can think of. I think it has to be super hot water if I remember right. Its couple weeks of combing hair and squishing tiny bugs. Kind of annoying but really not that big of a deal.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If it's the super lice variant then basically good game because that's it. That's just who you are now.

Oct 30, 2017
My son had this 2 years ago. We bought a kit at Walmart that included a shampoo regime and the lice comb. We used both as instructed and kept an eye on him and it cleared the issue.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
It's very common for young kids when they're at school. I can remember getting them several times.

That anti-lice shampoo smells disgusting. But that and giving the clothes and bedsheets a hot wash always took care of it... until next year.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW the Lice thing in schools is sometimes caused by a few parents who refuse to use chemicals to get rid of their child's lice, so the outbreak never stops. Lice Vaxxers. Had them at our kids' elementary school. What a time to be alive. See also Victorian east London.