• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of crazy to think about how something of that magnitude, in so public a place, just sort of got swept away. I've been alive to see some of the deadliest mass shootings in history, and this is the worst one ever in the U.S. Doesn't feel like it affected people the way that number should.

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of crazy to think about how something of that magnitude, in so public a place, just sort of got swept away. I've been alive to see some of the deadliest mass shootings in history, and this is the worst one ever in the U.S. Doesn't feel like it affected people the way that number should.

1000 got shot in one shooting?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Truly horrific, but lets not say 1,000 people were shot. Close to 1,000 people were injured, but not all injured were shot.

I'm staunchly against everyone owning a weapon, but it doesn't help the cause to mislead, as conservatives and gun nuts often use those angles against us ("dishonest", etc).

Oct 28, 2017
850 injured from gunfire and the panic that ensued. Surely the number of people wounded or killed from a gun was much less.

Whatever the number it is still a great tragedy. One our government has decided isn't a problem.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Well, over 20.000 were "shot at".
Close to 1000 were "injured or killed" (by gunfire or panic)
Close to 500 were actually "shot".
58 people died from bullet wounds.

"1000 were shot" is just a weird way to put this.

Still ... crazy numbers. Absolutely crazy. :(

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Can we maybe edit the title so this entire thread doesn't become "wait a minute, those numbers seem off to me."

The first post and intended discussion are totally valid, let's talk about that instead of "that title though!"

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, 500 shot brings the same point home, no need to lie.

Absolutely crazy how any time a mass shooting happens, millions are more concerned with what it might mean for their guns than what it meant for those affected.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, 500 shot brings the same point home, no need to lie.

I don't think it was an intentional lie. Probably saw the 850 injured and didn't realize that many of those were from the chaos after the shooting. Still a result of the shooting, whether it was directly or indirectly.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking about this the other day and how sad it is that the people there (along with thousands of others in US) have died for nothing. At least if the event brought around gun control to prevent future events then, if it was possible to think after death then a victim would probably think: at least something was done about it.

Instead nothing was done. Brushed under the carpet.

OP
OP
Sibersk Esto

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I made a mistake with the injury count. I have requested a thread title change.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
The first post and intended discussion are totally valid, let's talk about that instead of "that title though!"
Title is a good example of "you're not helping". Gun nuts sniff around for any hint of hyperbole to jump on because part of the ammosexual complex is this aching to be put upon, justifying their hoarding habits. There's probably already a subreddit going full steam about how some liberal cracknut started a thread about "1000 people shot" and how the crazy left would do anything, anything to take their guns.

Not that they'd ever take it down a notch so that's nothing to lose sleep over, but thread title did more harm than good (incremental either way). Probably meant well, but live & learn.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think 500 actual hit by gunfire makes this thread any different.

Mr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
1000 people? In one shooting?

I can remember about 500 people from the incident in Vegas....did something else happen?

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one in the public eye has even talked about this for months because they know the blood is on their hands

Just one of many many many

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Don't worry guys, we'll finally get a ban on bump stocks, something most gun owners don't own, care about, and think are pretty shit and mostly a gimmick. Did you know you could actually get the same effect from a rubber band as you can with a bump stock?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sandyhook forever proved that no tragedy will be enough to widely change minds.

Only thing that will change minds is minorities arming themselves. Only that will show the true danger of lax gun laws.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Time flies. This did not feel like a year ago yet it feels like it's been hidden from the public eye for a long time.

It does seem like this is just a whatever shooting in the eyes of the public. It doesn't seem to hold the weight of McVeighs bombing or even Tupac's murder in the same spot.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
The one-two punch of this and losing Tom Petty is still something I'm struggling with after a year. Was in Vegas not even a month after the shooting and it was surreal how somber things were.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
I think the lack of motive impacts the narrative and is why there's less cultural resonance.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We couldn't even get bump stocks banned. The NRA came out in the wake of this and supported banning bump stocks. Gun nuts on the right lost their shit and we got nothing changed whatsoever. JFC USA. But I don't even think this should be a surprise at this point. I can't remember who said it, some YouTube pundit on the left (TYT?), but they made the point that after Sandy Hook, if we didn't implement gun control measures after 6 year olds were gunned down, then we aren't going to do shit, ever.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
The U.S. government does not see mass shootings as an issue worth attempting to solve. Some portion of the U.S. population thinks any attempt at solving this issue infringes upon their god-given right to commit murder. I think eventually they will lose, but I don't know how.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
I rember seeing the headline and thinking "nothing is going to change" and unsurpisingly i was right.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I fucked up and found the worst video of the Vegas incident.

Ground Zero after everyone fled, with a few people crying and wailing in agony over the death and chaos. People huddled over their loved ones. Bodies everywhere.

Shit is burned in my brain forever

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The crazy part to me was that a year later in Vegas, there wasn't even a pat down at Life is Beautiful. I get that the metal detectors would keep out the weapons but the lack of security was shocking. I could have smuggled in entire bottles of liquor into the festival every day and like a dumb ass I paid $24 for mojitos.

chuey

Oct 28, 2017
I went to the Tableau Conference in Vegas a week after this happened. It was kinda surreal. Everyone went on with their day like nothing happened.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The whole thing was crazy, and it sucks that nothing has been done.

The biggest thing that irks me is the country singer blamed video games for the shooting. I mean some of your fans died that night, and you want to put the blame on games?