• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Not sure exactly how I feel about this, but if it works to keep older high school kids from buying stuff for their younger friends and spreading it around the schools, then I'm cool with it. tobacco is lame

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing against it.

But is smoking still that popular with the youths? I swear I rarely see people under 35 smoke

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kinda eh about this, as a former smoker myself. What happens to the 18+ that are already addicted?

OP
OP
Nirran

Nirran

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Nothing against it.

But is smoking still that popular with the youths? I swear I rarely see people under 35 smoke

I manage a carryout in a smaller town here in Northwest Ohio and we sell a huge amount of tobacco products especially to people in their early 20's. This also hits vape pens as the age got raised on those as well. It could be entirely different in cities.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I hope this will pass everywhere and they can bring flavored Juul pods back lol.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you can purchase a gun at 18 but are not allowed to have a drink or smoke until you are 21? Makes total sense.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Nothing against it.

kids are crazy about juuls, it's very weird and disconcerting to see how many middle and high school age kids are hitting vapes
Ultimately meaningless as most people who smoke start doing it underage anyway.
and they probably start younger because their friends can get it for them in school

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Nothing against it.

smoking-rates-declining-2019-p.pdf

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Hmm, it's been a while since I've bought tobacco products, but is it possible to force stores to scan an ID by making it so that the item can't be checked out unless the ID indicates the buyer is over 21 years old? Do they already do this?

Furthermore, if they really wanted to - couldn't they require that the purchase of alcohol and tobacco be done using a credit/debit card for added assurance?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Nothing against it.

Its already been said but vaping and juuls are the new cigarette for teens. I've seen kids as young as 13 smoking those things non-stop. It's almost worse than cigarettes since it leaves very little odor and is hard to detect from a parents standpoint.

OP
OP
Nirran

Nirran

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hmm, it's been a while since I've bought tobacco products, but is it possible to force stores to scan an ID by making it so that the item can't be checked out unless the ID indicates the buyer is over 21 years old? Do they already do this?

Furthermore, if they really wanted to - couldn't they require that the purchase of alcohol and tobacco be done using a credit/debit card for added assurance?

Some major gas stations in the area I live in have started swiping ids for sale of tobacco and alcohol purchases, but that was only after getting busted by the state for not checking ids.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
The legislature can still override the line-item veto of the grandfather provision for people who turn 18 before 10/1/19.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I can be persuaded by the arguments that everything should just be legal when you're an adult so 18+.

However as long as alcohol is 21, I'm not bothered by this sort of change at all.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Its already been said but vaping and juuls are the new cigarette for teens. I've seen kids as young as 13 smoking those things non-stop. It's almost worse than cigarettes since it leaves very little odor and is hard to detect from a parents standpoint.
Well, the worst thing is that the nicotine content is usually way higher in vape juices than traditional tobacco products. So those kids are going to be even more addicted than their smoking counterparts.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn no grandfather-clause either, DeWine vetoed that shit.

My daughter is 18 and I know she vapes, I guess I can have her arrested now.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Well, the worst thing is that the nicotine content is usually way higher in vape juices than traditional tobacco products. So those kids are going to be even more addicted than their smoking counterparts.
Yup, it's like a double whammy of concealment and addiction. I hope vapes go through stricter regulation in the future to curb this.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
And what about all those poor people who legally got addicted at age 18 now and cannot smoke legally :(?

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Nah, you are an adult at 18, you can vote and sign contracts at 18 so you should be able to buy alcohol and tobacco at 18. Buying a gun should never be possible, though.
Why can't I buy cocaine from the shops then? Smoking is still the number 1 preventable cause of death and it should be banned all together. The only reason it isn't is because of all the tax the governments make from it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't I buy cocaine from the shops then? Smoking is still the number 1 preventable cause of death and it should be banned all together. The only reason it isn't is because of all the tax the governments make from it.

Cocaine is illegal for everyone. If you want to make cigarettes illegal for everyone, do that. Gating adults based on age is fucking stupid.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Lmao raising the age wont do shit , me and my buddies would walk into gas stations and by dutch wraps at 13 lmao tons of places just dont give a fuck and want the money

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Tax the absolute shit out of it and raise the age even more - or, better yet, make it illegal to sell. There is no reason for cigarettes to still exist.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
The drinking and smoking ages make sense, the gun age does not.

The problem with the drinking age is that teens still drink, but now you have forced that behavior underground, resulting in more dangerous behavior.

Instead of learning their limits in a supervised environment, they do it in an unsupervised one, often without anyone to tell them when to stop.
Instead of calling their parents to pick them up if they've had too much to drink, they try to drive home, because they don't want to get in trouble.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I HATE smokers, but this is big brother shit. If your an adult you should be able to put anything in your body you want. Its not the govt's responsibility to say "no you have to wait 3 more years".

And its highly unlikely this will do anything to combat underage smoking.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Old enough to be sent off to war but not old enough to grab a beer or cigg to ease the stress
Smoking in the United States military has its own wiki page, hilariously.
you want people to smoke? that's odd
I want people to have control over their own bodies. If they want to smoke, that's their decision -- no one else's. I have a disingenuous question of my own, too! Why do you want to exercise control over other people's bodies?

Oct 25, 2017
People arguing for the age of 18 don't really understand how kids under 18 get ahold of tobacco or alcohol products. It's incredibly easy in communities and schools for seniors (18) to sell this stuff to those younger, and they then pass it down themselves.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I don't think people realise just how many death each year smoking causes. Even a seeming pointless infringement on your rights like this will help toward making smoking more and more socially unacceptable and ultimately banned out right, like other less harmful drugs like heroin and cocaine.