• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, this gen both Gravity Rush and Knack got 2 games at least.

Knack getting a sequel while Bloodborne rots is basically the gods trolling us.

I have the same feelings about how Sony let Folklore die even though that concept had so much potential, it just launched too early in the PS3's lifespan to do well.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should think you still have dreams? Well, next time you dream, give some thought to the hunt, and its purpose.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just as simple as why there was no sequel to "Demon's Souls": it was a one-off for a specific platform and now they've moved on to something else.

Where "something else" is more or less exactly the same game but with a different title.

There is absolutely no need for a Bloodborne 2. Another souls style game? Sure, and we'll get one soon enough no doubt.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe because Bluepoint are working on the Demon's Souls remake as rumors said. But for real FROM are contractors not first-party and for the moment it would be a nonsense to give the IP to someone else.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Because Miyazaki does his own thing, and it hasn't failed him yet.

BB is my GOTG, but honestly, I wouldn't even care if we don't get a sequel. I just want Miyazaki to be free to do what he wants. He's my favourite mind in gaming.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Because some studios don't hinge their existence on the next big GAAS Franchise and give a shit about creating new IP and actually use their creative staff to move a genre forward.

We already have way to many overwelcome franchising going on in the industry. If that's what it takes for stuff like Sekiro, I'll happily move on from Bloodborne. It's not like the game gets retroactively worse.

(Yes I know I'm hyperbolic. Still.)

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
its a popular game, beloved by many people, it came out three years ago.

Seems weird there's no sequel announcement yet

What's your theories as to why?
Miyazaki was promoted to another position and was tired of directing Souls games so wanted to rest at least for a while. So wanted to do something else and Activision paid more to make Sekiro.

Sony already had a packed library for 2018 and 2019 full of great 1st and 3rd party games, including Sekiro. So prefered to do a smaller VR game with them and to wait maybe for 2020 (PS5 launch or late PS4 game) for another big exclusive game made by From Software.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm one of the biggest Bloodborne fans, but I don't see the need for a sequel really. Just like the DLC didn't really do much for me. It's more of the game, but I was allready satisfied with what I played.
I'm very happy they went with Sekiro. How good Bloodborne was: I still like to play something different

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Maybe ps5

I wish we'd atleast get something as visually good as Bloodborne if we can't get a 2nd one anytime soon. DS3 and Sekiro (so far) don't look nearly as good as Bloodborne to me

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
They released a full game a year for about three years on the trot. They are probably working on other games right now as well

Anyway I didn't say where is it I was asking why people thought there hadn't been one.

A PSVR title will release in November and Sekiro marketing is already underway. Why announce a new game now?

I really don't understand the question then. Unless some FROM exec is lurking these forums.....nobody knows whether a BB2 will ever be a thing.

My best guess is that FROM prefers to do multi plats going forward for financial reasons.
Sony OTH doesn't need BB2 to sell PS4s, they're good on exclusives for this gen imo
On PS5 Sony could potentially launch Days Gone 2, Spiderman 2, TLOU 3, Horizon ZD 2 and a new God of War.....
Really don't see the need for Sony to push a BB2 project.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've pretty much told us: they want to break away from Soulsborne, especially now that they are using Unreal engine. They can't replicate the Soulsborne on Unreal so they are making a new IP to prevent the direct comparison.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just y'all wait, any day now.
tenor.gif

I probably should've made it more obvious that I was joking. Though thankfully some of the other community members caught on to that, even if the comeback was more than I bargained for.
Don't worry, I'll join you at that bed being sad about Okami 2 not being a thing. But their recent plans to do more revivals bodes well.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Could be many reasons...

1) they know how dedicated the fanbase of From Software Soulsbornes are so they want to use a new one to push PS5 sales. At this point, it's not impossible that a new one would be ready within the first year or so of PS5's launch

2) there will NEVER be a Bloodborne 2. Sony will, however, continue giving From Software free reigns to develop new IPs (perhaps Soulsborne-like, perhaps not). New IPs take time, especially if it's really different from the Soulsborne formula.

3) it sold well but not well enough for Sony to fast track a sequel. It'll come when all the pieces line up or the higher-ups at Sony feel like it

4) Maybe Miyazaki is busy with another game so Sony is willing to wait until he's available to direct another game for them, since he's viewed as the mastermind behind From Software's most successful games.

5) It could be in development as we speak and will be one of the last hurraahs of PS4 (with a possibility of cross-gen) from Sony, to be announced at E3 2019 for a late fall or early 2020 release

6) For one reason or another, Sony simply won't work with From Software again (either because From Software is busy working with everyone else or because Sony has lost interest in the collaboration for the time being for whatever reason)

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they ignore the PC audience that has become huge for their game? They don't need exclusive deals anymore. Activision makes more sense than Sony.

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Could be many reasons...

1) they know how dedicated the fanbase of From Software Soulsbornes are so they want to use a new one to push PS5 sales. At this point, it's not impossible that a new one would be ready within the first year or so of PS5's launch

2) there will NEVER be a Bloodborne 2. Sony will, however, continue giving From Software free reigns to develop new IPs (perhaps Soulsborne-like, perhaps not). New IPs take time, especially if it's really different from the Soulsborne formula.

3) it sold well but not well enough for Sony to fast track a sequel. It'll come when all the pieces line up or the higher-ups at Sony feel like it

4) Maybe Miyazaki is busy with another game so Sony is willing to wait until he's available to direct another game for them, since he's viewed as the mastermind behind From Software's most successful games.

5) It could be in development as we speak and will be one of the last hurraahs of PS4 (with a possibility of cross-gen) from Sony, to be announced at E3 2019 for a late fall or early 2020 release

6) For one reason or another, Sony simply won't work with From Software again (either because From Software is busy working with everyone else or because Sony has lost interest in the collaboration for the time being for whatever reason)

Yeah, one of these.

I kind of feel its on a back burner somewhere there and they will come back to it at some point.

It would be a killer PS5 launch title though

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they ignore the PC audience that has become huge for their game? They don't need exclusive deals anymore. Activision makes more sense than Sony.
They are a work-for-hire independent developer. Ultimately they will work for anyone who is willing to hire them for any game project, PC sales or not. It's really more about whether SONY sees it feasible to publish a new From Software game and goes to them for one.

Yamatake

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Probably they don't feel the need.

From Software have become a big enough name now that they can work on whatever they like and someone out there will be willing to invest and publish.

Also, it's possible that bringing Bloodborne 2 out now would maybe just be met with "oh yet another soulsborne game" and might not do well critically and/or financially.

If they waited until say 2023 or so when the new PS console is in full flight and then announced Bloodborne 2? That would be a big deal.

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
The game closed perfectly. I'm not sure it needs a sequel.

It definitely deserves more powerful hardware to run it though. Maybe a remaster without chalice dungeons.

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
They are a work-for-hire independent developer. Ultimately they will work for anyone who is willing to hire them for any game project, PC sales or not. It's really more about whether SONY sees it feasible to publish a new From Software game and goes to them for one.

Yeah i said that, but apparently From are different and amazing and they only want to put out multi platforms now for some reason

I do get that Miyazaki has said he wants to step away from the Soulsborne style for a bit and fair play to him

But as you say what studio would turn down a, probably fairly lucrative, contract from Sony to make a game?

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Sekiro

Now let's close the thread

This.

It seems clear to me that part of the reason Bloodbourne is so great is that is was a fresh take on the genre. This was not only appealing to the fans, but I'm sure for employees at From Software too, who wished to further flex their creativity.

Sekiro allows them to discover new challenges again, whilst going back to Bloodbourne may just remind them of how they exhausted the Souls franchise.

Really wish they would just leave it be. No sequels. Just make a remaster that doesn't run at 15 FPS.

It will probably be made though. There will be a chance it is bad/takes away from the first game. :(

On Pro it runs at a consistent 30.

No game can ever take away from another game, so don't worry about it, you'll always have the original Bloodbourne.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Sony owns the IP and From and Miyazaki are busy right now with other things.

Sony sure as hell won't give it to some other developer, especially due to how they treated From during Demon's Souls. BB was basically an apology by Sony. If it's ever gonna be made it will be when Miyazaki is ready(Hint: It wont be because BB's story is closed and there is no need for a sequel. This would be evident if you people actually paid any attention to the meaning of the story).

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
After Bloodborne, Miyazaki went to play DS3 on the office PC and saw the silky smooth 60faps with no frame pacing issues

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
But they are working on an exclusive game for Sony now? Which is the third project since last gen, PC sales are irrelevant, they get their money from Sony.

Oct 31, 2017
From made money with multiplatform Dark Souls

From wants to made money with multiplatform titles

From don't want to work on BB2

Pick one.
Hell, I'd say at least two are likely. Especially when the next generation of consoles is a bit too far off to tell who's going to be winning that race, in addition to the fact that typically being able to release your game on 3 or 4 platforms is way better off financially than just a single one. Was I them, even if Sony was ponying up the cash, I'd feel a bit melancholic knowing my new project was going to be imprisoned on a single platform thanks to a deal with one console manufacturer.