• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I mean you could alway post Bruce Gilden at work, which is...fucking god awful.

This is because they don't. They just assume anything moderately voyeuristic is creepy or perverted without realizing that there's an art to the whole thing.

Nope. You can have artistic candid shots. You can also respect the request of someone who'd prefer they not be included. I don't understand why it's so hard to do both.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Imagine a world without Vivian Maier documenting Americana. But may be that what some people do want. Why document things.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is no moral obligation to obtain consent for photographing children playing in a park. To think otherwise is paranoia that shouldn't be catered to.
There is, however, a moral obligation to stop taking photos of them when asked to by their parents. It's not rocket science.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
First of all, you go down to the beach and you see 20 people with tripods and lenses you can walk the other direction down the beach. We would prefer it so you don't get in our shot. But if you insist to walk down that shore line, yeah well you're going to be in the shot with the sun setting behind you.

If I see returning families I say hello to them and they say hello back. I basically live on the beach as does the community of photographers out by me.

So you think this dude was taking photos of the lovely sunset at a scenic playground, and those darn kids just got in the way?

Just to be clear, I don't think this dude was some kind of pedo.

I think he's papparazi trying to get pics of Hillary Duff's kids to sell.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This guy should have asked permission first. Might have even been able to make a buck or two selling high-speed photos to the parents or the local paper (if one still exists wherever this is.) He didn't handle this the best way.

And I'm going to say that even if he had been a white dude he would've gotten the same flack. If it was a woman shooting photos then nobody would've batted an eye.
This makes me wonder if my former newspaper photogs ever got this level of flack on assignment. Probably not, as most of the coaches and teams knew them and they had their little press badges.
i'm gonna go wayyyy far out on a limb and guess that almost all the parents at a soccer match where hillary duff lives are white and if the photog were white she'd just have assumed he was a dad.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
She didn't quite handle it in the right way. However I do find it kind of creepy that some man is taking photos of kids from far away. At least take photos of adults or something you know? Or ask permission to take photos, maybe make some money.

Anyway I don't think this has anything to do with race and I do agree that her threatening him was uncalled for.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
There is, however, a moral obligation to stop taking photos of them when asked to by their parents. It's not rocket science.
If they're taking particular photos of their child then maybe. If they're taking photos of the scene/game/place in which their child is participating, then no. They don't own the park, the area doesn't become off limits to photography because their holy child has stepped onto the grass.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Eh, maybe not a fan of how Hillary handled this, I do think there should be some level of consent when taking pictures of kids, and if a parent comes and ask you not to take pictures of their kid, then that should be respected.

This.

No doubt this is something a number of us come across, whether as photographers or otherwise --- but some folks are just really sensitive about having their picture taken, justified or not. I don't want to deal with the hassle and just respect the request; parents are often overly cautious by nature and that's a force not worth shaking up. I get that it can interfere with candid shots, but even like doing scientific experiments on people, there's gotta be some balance/etiquette in how we interact with a subject (and that line can be hard to define across all cases).

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
So you think this dude was taking photos of the lovely sunset at a scenic playground, and those darn kids just got in the way?
No, I think he was playing with a new lens and building his portfolio to use to get comissioned jobs with a school district probably.

The last thing I would think is he is some creepy perv that warrants a talking to. But then again I'm a photographer and I get it.

I go down to the surf competition and take pictures of the surfers. Some of them are just kids. People approach me, for my email, no one says "you better not be taking pictures of my kids". Because I am taking pictures of your kid. I'm shooting for fun, and while The dad's head is buried in his phone ignoring his kid surfing 6 foot waves I'm capturing those moments. Dudes wife is thankful when I offer to send the photos over free of charge though 😉

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
This.

No doubt this is something a number of us come across, whether as photographers or otherwise --- but some folks are just really sensitive about having their picture taken, justified or not. I don't want to deal with the hassle and just respect the request; parents are often overly cautious by nature and that's a force not worth shaking up. I get that it can interfere with candid shots, but even like doing scientific experiments on peeps, there's gotta be a balance in the etiquette in how we interact with a subject (and that line can be hard to define across all cases).

This is the correct response. I just don't get why it's so hard to understand.

If I'm out somewhere with my kid and a photographer makes an effort to interact with me and talk, I'm much more likely to be ok with it. But if you just stand off to the side, never acknowledge my presence as a parent or if for some reason I ask you not to and you get defensive or ignore me, then it's not cool.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This is the correct response. I just don't get why it's so hard to understand.

If I'm out somewhere with my kid and a photographer makes an effort to interact with me and talk, I'm much more likely to be ok with it. But if you just stand off to the side, never acknowledge my presence as a parent or if for some reason I ask you not to and you get defensive or ignore me, then it's not cool.
How often does this happen with out you even knowing?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
How often does this happen with out you even knowing?

I'm sure it's happened, to be honest. I live near a large lake in Seattle that has tons of people taking pictures. But that doesn't make it right if someone is aware of it.

You even acknowledged that you often talk with people that you see when you're out photographing, that might be all those people need to feel comfortable with you and if that's enough for them, then great. It just shouldn't prevent someone from not being comfortable and asking.

Apr 21, 2018
If you show up to a children's soccer game and start taking pictures of children you have no relation to.....then yeah, it's okay for somebody to call you a creep. The way he immediately defaults to "Well, it's legal!" almost makes it more creepy.

I don't think he should be arrested or excessively harassed, but if somebody wants to call him out and ask him to stop that is fine.

This is kind of my stance.

I think if I had been testing a lens or something on people in public (kids or otherwise), and someone approached me this way, I'd apologize and explain that I was testing my equipment and agree to leave and shoot something else.

It's not quite the same as shooting people in New York City. It's specifically targeting a quiet, residential park full of children.

It's kind of a grey area. Nobody would care if it was any other situation than an adult male photographing young kids. I understand why people see it as creepy, but it's also unfortunate we live in a world where the first instinct is to think he is a pedophile or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. You can have artistic candid shots. You can also respect the request of someone who'd prefer they not be included. I don't understand why it's so hard to do both.
If a person objects and makes it known by something simple like putting their hand over their face I leave them alone and will delete an image if confronted.
Is using a term like "aggressive street photography" supposed to make us okay with this?
I saw it as a guy taking pics, if anything he messed up by staying there too long.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm sure it's happened, to be honest. I live near a large lake in Seattle that has tons of people taking pictures. But that doesn't make it right if someone is aware of it.

You even acknowledged that you often talk with people that you see when you're out photographing, that might be all those people need to feel comfortable with you and if that's enough for them, then great. It just shouldn't prevent someone from not being comfortable and asking.
Listen, if we are being honest, most pictures of people I do get are silohettes, or all I see are their backsides. I'm honestly not comfortable posting pictures of people's faces online for the simple fact that I wouldn't like that.

So despite the fact I have every right to do that and have done it unintentionally many of times and just cropped them out because they add nothing to that particular frame, I don't do that or try not to at least.

Hell I shot for a local travel magazine and was encouraged to shoot first and ask for consent second. Most people just don't care, at least in NY they have places to be and don't have time to talk or object.

With that said I am a photographer and I do have rights to do what I want.

Some shots call for it. If I'm on a boardwalk and I have my 70-200 or 600mm with me and you're riding a skateboard directly down the middle of the boardwalk right into this sun that is taking up 80% of the frame, I'm grabbing that shot. The best feeling in the world is when a friend of theirs recognizes them and tags them in the photo and they love it.

I have yet to have someone say "take that down". I'm a nice guy, you approach me with respect I can emphasize and relate and will more than likely take it down. You got a crazy ex you don't want knowing where you and your kid live? Yeah I get it, absolutely I don't want you getting stalked I'll take it down.

But if you come at me sideways and start cursing at me? Well I'm going to be a dick back and that picture is never coming down. Unless it's under performing.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
This is hella disingenuous, you think Vivian Maier would fight with a parent about taking shots of their children?
Again, not what I said. Is there evidence of this photographer continuing to take photographs after Hillary confronted him? They had an argument, that's evident, but did he continue, or stop as you keep harping about?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017

This is all I'm getting at. It can be argued that as a society when we leave the house we accept that an person with a camera may take a picture, but consent always ends at "no".

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hell I was doing street photography in Bushwick Saturday and a kid ran up to me:

"Hey I'm doing street portraits, can I take your photo?"

"Yeah I don't see why not!"

And he took multiple portraits.

Which is fine for street portraits, but people actively interacting in their environments isn't where you disturb the moment and ask for permission. That would ruin the whole moment. How is that a thing?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
responses in this thread are why I am a total coward about taking street shots. I'll only photograph someone if they aren't looking at me. I don't have the courage to deal with people irate or screaming about being a pervert.

Oct 25, 2017
responses in this thread are why I am a total coward about taking street shots. I'll only photograph someone if they aren't looking at me. I don't have the courage to deal with people irate or screaming about being a pervert.

It's one of the more handy things of being mild/moderately disabled for me lol. I appear a lot less threatening to people and they just sorta ignore me. Also I really only shoot waist-level with tilt screens which also hugely helps.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
You shouldn't be nervous. Just use common sense. Chances are no one is going to bother you. If someone asks you not to use a picture don't use it. Most of the time they won't even care. You need experience and need to get your first rejection under your belt so get out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, I don't care if the picture is beautiful, if the parent asks you to stop and delete you should.
And even when you do people escalate the whole problem beyond what it should be. Usually the photographer unless he's being an outright asshole isn't the person causing that much of a huge ruckus over it, it's the other person and probably threatening to or even assaulting the other person.

SaitoH

Oct 27, 2017
I taken photos of friends kids playing hockey and baseball at parents behest. The guy is doing nothing wrong, but at the same time I couldn't do it. I would feel creepy. *shrugs*

Having said that I have done some street photography, mainly in foreign countries. Example:

_DSC1621-Edit by Jkreutz, on Flickr

I didn't ask permission and it's a photo of a kid, yet I didn't feel creepy taking it. Not sure what my point is, but there ya go. :)

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I think people are starting to use the "artistic shots are ok" to defend what is essentially a paparazzi.

Someone posted some black and white artistic shots, used an example of "photos of loved ones in a sunset/thunderstorm", but until we see the photographers photos, and knowing Duffs fame, Im going to assume it was a paparazzi taking photos of her kid(and possibly of Duff in the same shot) to sell to a tabloid.

I doubt there was an artistic intent behind it. There are times where taking shots of family outings, crowded places, other outings to make an artistic picture is fine. Its understandable. Knowing how the paparazzi operate though, it was probably multiple shots of the same subject without intent to portray something as art.

Id be happy to be proven wrong and to see the persons photos, but...using the artistic defense makes actual photography art look bad when it was probably for a paparazzi.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So what do you do if you ask someone to stop, and they insist on exercising thier right to continue taking pictures in a public space? Some people seem to think that once you've asked it somehow becomes a no holds barred situation and they can now confiscate people's property and/or assault them. Do your rights somehow hold more weight than the photographer's because you have kids?

Why hasn't anyone said to just leave that area?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Depends on the context. We don't need blanket "photographers can do this and not that" rules for everything.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I think people are starting to use the "artistic shots are ok" to defend what is essentially a paparazzi.

Someone posted some black and white artistic shots, used an example of "photos of loved ones in a sunset/thunderstorm", but until we see the photographers photos, and knowing Duffs fame, Im going to assume it was a paparazzi taking photos of her kid(and possibly of Duff in the same shot) to sell to a tabloid.

I doubt there was an artistic intent behind it. There are times where taking shots of family outings, crowded places, other outings to make an artistic picture is fine. Its understandable. Knowing how the paparazzi operate though, it was probably multiple shots of the same subject without intent to portray something as art.

Id be happy to be proven wrong and to see the persons photos, but...using the artistic defense makes actual photography art look bad when it was probably for a paparazzi.
I would love to post examples of what I do but I'm legit being told I can't post pictures in this thread when I try to upload them here.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I taken photos of friends kids playing hockey and baseball at parents behest. The guy is doing nothing wrong, but at the same time I couldn't do it. I would feel creepy. *shrugs*

Having said that I have done some street photography, mainly in foreign countries. Example:

_DSC1621-Edit by Jkreutz, on Flickr

I didn't ask permission and it's a photo of a kid, yet I didn't feel creepy taking it. Not sure what my point is, but there ya go. :)
I've wanted to do that before in foreign countries but I just can't seem to bring myself to point my camera at people who haven't asked me to take their picture. It's like a mental block.

great shot btw

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I believe you take pictures for artistic intent. I would not call paparazzi artists however, and its an insult to artistic photographers to compare the two.
Why would a paprazzi photographer be standing on the side lines. Especially an older one who has been in the game for decades. If he was one these pictures would be all over the place by now. Though I wouldn't doubt after being slandered and her threatening to use her fan base (thank God he didn't give his id) that tabloids are reaching out to him.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Why hasn't anyone said to just leave that area?
Because in the context of playing an organized sport, just walking off the field in the middle of the game is kinda frowned upon. In that scenario, the photographer is the one who should leave because they don't have actual responsibility to be there.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Because in the context of playing an organized sport, just walking off the field in the middle of the game is kinda frowned upon. In that scenario, the photographer is the one who should leave because they don't have actual responsibility to be there.
No, in that scenario the parents are already in the wrong because photographing a sporting game in a public park is an entirely reasonable thing to do.

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
He should have asked for permission beforehand, and also should have stopped taking photos when asked.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I learnt that photographers are super entitled.

Anyway, did she live stream this confrontation or was this just a video she posted later? I imagine if the guy was apologetic and explained he was just trying to get action shots, but since it makes them uncomfortable he'll stop now, she probably doesn't put the video on Instagram.

But when he comes back with "It's legal" that's adds a million creep points. She still shouldn't have put it on Instagram, but then again everything is performative for social media these days.

Anyway, don't take photos of kids without consent. Not exactly a hard rule to live by. I don't care about your 'aggressive street photography'.

Oct 28, 2017
And I'm saying that statement has no rational basis.
Rational basis? Really?

This is the key factor. You've been asked to be there. She approaches him and her first question is "Who are you here with". But he's not there with anyone. He has no relation to any of the kids on the field. And no parent has asked him to photograph their children. But he's standing off to the side taking pictures of children. And when confronted with this his response is seriously "It's legal". That is extremely creepy.

'Creepy' is becoming the new 'sketchy' really fast here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Did she go full stupid with the instagram stuff sure.

But Im sorry as a parent I would of done the same thing, if you are going to practice at a thing like this just ask ahead of time or go find some adults playing a pickup game or something.

random people photographing kids put people on edge it sucks but that's the world we live in

To be fair I don't think "it's legal" was really a great argument from the guy. Parents can get uncomfortable when strangers are taking photographs of their kids. Like it or not, that's the world we live in. Saying "well it's legal" doesn't do anything to alleviate that.

I'll happily give the guy the benefit of the doubt here, I don't think he was being a creep and I think it's super fucking shitty of her to threaten him with her Instagram army. But I also don't think it's hard to see why some parents may be uncomfortable with a stranger who has no affiliation with the team or any of the kids playing taking pictures, and using "it's not illegal" as his justification for it. When it comes to taking pictures of kids it doesn't hurt anyone to be a bit more prepared, maybe let the school or organisers know ahead of time that you're going to be there taking pictures and what they're going to be used for.

People get "put on edge" and "uncomfortable" for pointless stuff all the time. See the bathroom hysteria in red states.

Someone doing perfectly normal stuff shouldn't have to fear a paranoid over reaction.

I don't think I would care. Americans are so paranoid and scared of each other. If that's a thing he does all the time then I don't think it's weird.

Publishing of pictures should always have consent tho.

Publishing for commerical use requires consent.
Publishing in a way that violates a right of publicity requires consent.

Aside from art and news, publishing generally requires consent if the subject is identifiable.

That is a key element of US law. Taking photos is a right. Publishing photos has regulations.

I'm not a constitutional scholar or anything like that but looking over the text it doesn't appear that's the case. If you have a court case or something that says otherwise I'd be interested in reading it.

This is media law 101. Plenty of resources available with a simple Google search. Or you could check ACLU resources.

This is also a good place to start if you want to learn:

Her assy attitude "Uhm, EXCUSSSSE me!..." etc is way over the top, but he doesn't really help himself by immediately going to "well it's legal". It very well might be legal, but courtesy would suggest asking permission from whoever is in charge first given that he's there alone and has no connection to any of the young kids he's photographing.

All this could just be ironed out so easily if people didn't get all righteous indignation from the very first beat of the interaction (Duff). This is so typical of these viral confrontations where people overreact immediately because the adrenaline kicks in and they feel powerful from holding a phone to someone's face. She could just go over there and ask calmly and then go find someone in charge and he could ask them if it's ok to take action shots of the game, and he could email them a link to his flickr account or whatever. It could be a regular gig even. People just need to step off and take a breath, if something is not right, then it will escalate naturally, no need to go in guns blazing.
I work exclusively in the youth sports and school portrait industry. Parents of all races freak out about their kid's privacy, even when they're in a private space, getting their picture taken from a professional photographer, hired specifically from the school or league.

Telling a parent to shove off even though you're a random person taking a picture of their kid in a public space is just being a dick for no reason. Regardless of what their attitude is.

Given that 2019 was the year of the entitled white woman calling cops on black folks for existing, his response was pretty restrained.

You don't offer up an ID to be an ass.

Do you get annoyed at drive thrus or banks or any store in existence? Cause they are all taking constant images of you, do you get annoyed at the other parents taking pictures there that you are in?

Perfectly okay to be annoyed with you picture being taken but it's well within their rights, it's 2020 if you don't want your picture and data out there you need to live in a cave.

Again we are putting a shitton of responsibility on the wronged party here, should he have to go introduce himself and ask everyone at the game beforehand? What about people walking by? None of this makes it okay to threaten this guy and go after him like she did.

*Ding ding ding*
Not really a good comparison. Whether I agree with it or not, stored and banks can at least justify why they're taking pictures, for security and to prevent criminal activity. Other parents can justify why they're taking pictures, because their own kids are there.

This guys justification was "It's not illegal". To most parents, some guy taking pictures of their kids just because he can would be more concerning than another parent accidentally capturing them in photos of their own kids.

Anyone who is worried about surveillance should very much worry about security cameras instead of a rando with a camera.

Security cameras capture patterns of action and are more likely to be fed into a ML database than the man on the street.

Oh I would stop if someone asked. I would not stop if someone came over trying to be a tough guy or what she is doing here using it as a opportunity to get clicks.

This. Most photographers I know are friendly to a fault and will happily answer questions unless someone comes up on them like a wannabe security guard.

At that point it simply becomes a matter of telling the person to stop being an idiot.

He was defiant about stopping before she even once implied she would then spread her video. He retorted about being legally allowed immediately instead of something decent to make her understand his position to continue or stop. Her reaction escalated too far, but I can't say he had any decency in discussing the issue itself.

There's every chance she wouldn't have bothered posting this if the encounter was simply him saying, "Sure, I just came to the field to practice on this camera, I can check out a different field." Instead if she was suspicious before about him knowing famous people had kids there, she sure might still feel that way after his response.

Respect goes both ways.

There's every chance he would have been friendly if she didn't come at him with video on. Given recent history he was likely expecting exactly the BS she threw out.

Really. There is so much fallacious logic in this thread it's insane. If you're ONLY appeal is to legality than both of them are blameless. It's just as legal to film him as it is for him to take the photos.

If she's in the wrong than you have to appeal to morality / decency. And if you do that then you gotta admit taking pictures of other people's kids and then getting defensive when you're told it's making people uncomfortable is not OK.

FWIW I am almost certain she would not have noticed or approached him if he was a white guy, and she absolutely overshot the mark by filming and posting the interaction. But that doesn't absolve the dude of doing weird stuff and being generally disrespectful of his subjects' wishes.

And to the "no expectation of privacy" crowd: can you honestly say with a straight face that you'd be 100% ok with someone standing near you at the park just photographing your children with a professional long-range lens? Really? If you can, well, consider becoming an actor or a politician....

She's in the right to film video of him. She's wrong to threaten him with harassment.

Why would I worry about a rando taking a photo in public?

If they have sweet gear, I'll ask to check it out and ask for a copy if it looks good.

If they sell it without permission, I've got a slam dunk lawsuit. Yay for a free payday.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Do people not realize that kids are everywhere? I get that this was a sporting event for kids, but how do you carry out this logic in general? The instant "creepy" labeling is offensive. It's also obvious it's done because the photographer is a man. A woman taking photos that involve unknown kids would not get this kind of reaction.

Over the end of 2019, I went skiing and went to a frozen lake. There were lots of people and lots and lots of kids around. It didn't stop me from taking photos. Am I suddenly a "creep" for daring to do such a thing? Hell, I took this photo of some kid because I thought it was a great photo. Is this photo suddenly "creepy"?

Q52uFCc.jpeg

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
No, in that scenario the parents are already in the wrong because photographing a sporting game in a public park is an entirely reasonable thing to do.
And there were presumably other fields they could've gone to when asked to stop. It probably would've been as difficult as turning around on the spot to take shots of the field behind him.

I have the right and license to carry my handgun on my hip in a public place. Do I have to put it away if someone asked? No, but I'd have the courtesy to do so if I were able to.

It's not always about what's right. Sometimes it's just about being accommodating. Be respectful of others is all I'm asking...is that so hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.