• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How would you rate Hereditary?

• Perfect - no complaints

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • Amazing - minor complaints

Votes: 349 42.3%
  • Good - well done but with flaws

Votes: 214 25.9%
  • Okay - average movie, what's the big deal?

Votes: 77 9.3%
  • Bad - there wasn't very much I enjoyed

Votes: 45 5.4%
  • Awful - I hated everything about this

Votes: 40 4.8%

• Total voters

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I was not expecting this. At all. I went into this movie blind and held off on it for a while. It was damn well worth the wait.

As a lifelong horror fan I found Hereditary to be an unsettling, truly scary masterpiece that I watched with baited breath. Seriously.

I watched it with my two brothers who are just as big horror fans as me and they both agreed that this movie was terrifying and unnerving.

I felt like the movie has sunk its claws in me especially by the half-way point where I felt like I was at the mercy of the film. I felt uneasy during every scene and little touches (which to me felt intentional) like people just walking around in the background had me on edge. I felt like I didn't know where the scares were gonna come from. I felt like I didn't know where the threat was. The tension was palpable and I felt myself basically holding my breath during many scenes. My brothers echoed this feeling.

This movie was ruthless.

I think this may be the scariest movie I've seen since Jacob's Ladder.

To me this movie is really special, an instant classic. This movie was nothing but misery and put every member of the family through hell.

Oh and the soundtrack? Utterly fantastic from start to end.

Brilliant cinematography, and I dig the surreal tone the movie brings.

This movie gave me pretty heavy The Witch and Suspiria (the remake) vibes, especially with that ending.

Toni Colette deserves ALL the awards, WOW. What a performance. I knew she was awesome since The Sixth Sense but this performance must have been particularly draining.

This movie made me scared of the dark again.

Especially the second half of this movie is almost like particularly tense scenes in Willow Creek and Annihilation, just that they maintain this level of terror and tension for more than a fucking HOUR.

I straight up would not have watched this alone at night, I would have shut this fuckin' thing off.

Apparently audiences didn't like this???? Was it too dark for general audiences?

I'm curious as to your thoughts on this movie.

Rationale

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
The film is disturbing on first watch but man, I distinctly remember waking up in the middle of the night a couple weeks later and couldn't get certain scenes out of my mind.

- Bowling ball shadow.
- Finale of Teri on the ceiling etc.
- Teri screaming "I wish I was dead" after the 'event'.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Hereditary fucking rules. The first act in particular - everything through the sister's beheading - is haunting and magical. Midsommar is the only must-watch film for me so far this year.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
It's brilliant and misunderstood imo. It doesnt fit the mold of what people expect in a horror film and when the ending is as unpredictable as this is alot of that audience reject it. Polarizing.

I watched it twice. The 2nd time also enjoyable since i have a clearer view on what was happening to this family and see the clues in a totally different light.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My main problem with the film is my own preconception going into it that the dollhouses would have anything at all to do with it. Ultimately I found the movie really well done but incredibly disappointing that this element I was intrigued by from the trailers ultimately felt like a complete vestigial limb for set dressing and little else.

Edit: I've said many times by now that I understand what purpose the dollhouses serve in the subtext of the film, so please don't reply to this post to tell me that again. I merely thought they would be THE focus, not sub-textual.

Last edited:

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Best film of last year, and one of the best horror pieces of the decade.

My main problem with the film is my own preconception going into it that the dollhouses would have anything at all to do with it. Ultimately I found the movie really well done but incredibly disappointing that this element I was intrigued by from the trailers ultimately felt like a complete vestigial limb for set dressing and little else.
The dollhouse element is present - notice the lens effect that accompanies anything supernatural and how it matches the Mother's lenses/magnifiers when she's working on the dioramas.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The fact that Toni didn't even get a nomination for her role was just astounding to me.

Loved this movie, it was so well made, the pacing, the cinematography, and the acting. Also rewatching it is a treat when you realize how much things are there that you missed.

The dollhouse had some meaning behind it, it wasn't simply window dressing. It was a way to show the viewer the things that were consuming Annie and what was going on in her head as the movie went along, how twisted she was becoming making models of the "accident" and things.

As well as making the viewer feel like a character since the viewpoint of the dollhouse was similar to how we as the audience were watching the movie and story unfold.

Last edited:

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
She should have won an award just for the post accident discovery scene in the bedroom

Haunting shit

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was a good movie, but some parts made me laugh (including some strange acts from one of the actors) . Don't know if it was only me or it was produced like that to make people laugh.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was laughably bad. Half the theater did judging from the reactions as my date and I left. Neither one of us dug it. Waste of a movie night

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Just so completely unnerving.
It made me weirdly emotional at times too.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
The most confusing thing about this movie to me continues to be how anyone thought the acting was good.

May 10, 2018
I liked it but didn't care for the horror elements. Honestly would have preferred a straight up drama film of a family dealing with the loss of the daughter. In particular how the son feels like a fuck up and the mom trying to handle her feelings towards the son.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

Wut?

The entire movie is about how the family is being manipulated from behind the scenes by this seemingly-omnipotent cult. The dollhouses are a blatant metaphor for the family's lack of agency over their situation, like the discussion on Herakles early on.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Agree that Toni was amazing and also agree it's a masterpiece. That dinner scene is raw.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh.
The first 3/4 of the movie was great, but I thought it really fell apart towards the end.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was decent but nothing extraordinary. Loved Toni's performance but everything else ranged from weak to fine.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wut?

The entire movie is about how the family is being manipulated from behind the scenes by this seemingly-omnipotent cult. The dollhouses are a blatant metaphor for the family's lack of agency over their situation, like the discussion on Herakles early on.
I get them as a metaphor. I'm not saying they didn't serve a purpose. I thought they would literally be involved with whatever was going on, haunted objects or whatever. Foretelling events, or the dolls would be like voodoo or something similar.

OP
OP
carlosrox

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I'm honestly surprised this movie was polarizing. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that people may have found the movie confusing or just too damn grim. It's a heavy watch.

How do other similar horror movies not have this same polarizing reaction? This movie basically does everything The Witch does and then some. And as far as I know, mostly everyone loves that movie.

- Teri screaming "I wish I was dead" after the 'event'.

She should have won an award just for the post accident discovery scene in the bedroom

Haunting shit

That scene was unreal.

I actually had tears in my eyes towards the end as the whole experience was just so haunting, so well done, and I felt so immersed in this world.

This movie was like a dream come true: a truly relentless horror experience. More movies need to be like this and take things even further.

I want a horror movie to literally give me this feeling of unease and terror NONSTOP. I wanna see what a movie like that would be like.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand people not liking the movie. It's the definition of a slow burn, and the first half has barely any supernatural horror in it.

Personally, I fucking adored the film. The acting is brilliant, the supernatural horror scenes are great, and the horror and aftermath of the event that felt more grounded was something that is so rare to see in films.

Would be my favorite horror film if The VVitch didn't exist.

karby

Oct 27, 2017
I went into this movie blind a little while ago, not really knowing what to expect. I slept with the lights on for a few days. This movie was great.
Best film of last year, and one of the best horror pieces of the decade.

The dollhouse element is present - notice the lens effect that accompanies anything supernatural and how it matches the Mother's lenses/magnifiers when she's working on the dioramas.

Oh wow you're right! Never noticed that!

Jul 18, 2018
I'm the opposite. Felt the first half of the movie was great with suspense and dread. It felt very ominous, but then I felt the movie just couldn't hold that tension anymore. Felt like every other horror movie even with the scares, but I didn't think the movie was scary at all. I was dissapointed. And no it's because it's a slow burn type of movie, which I don't mind, but I honestly felt like their main experience of dread just lasted way too long than it needed it to be. Same problem I have with The Witch, first 1/2 of the movie was great then it just got muddled for me, brought nothing really new. The Ritual seemed to pace the dread fine, same with Apostle & Suspira

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm honestly surprised this movie was polarizing. The only thing that makes any sense to me is that people may have found the movie confusing or just too damn grim. It's a heavy watch.

How do other similar horror movies not have this same polarizing reaction? This movie basically does everything The Witch does and then some. And as far as I know, mostly everyone loves that movie.
Tons of people hate both Hereditary AND The Witch. Both a slow creeping terror type movies. Compare them to The Conjuring Jump scare type films and you have your answer. Anyway I prefer the slow films but I love all horror.

OP
OP
carlosrox

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
It's the definition of a slow burn

Really? I mean I think this movie established the weird dark tone very quickly. The way the family interacts with eachother is immediately noticeable and off-putting, not to mention there are very quickly creepy shots from nearly the very start.

I think a better example of a slow-burn is the new Suspiria. I honestly found that to be rather boring, and I saw it just last week after much anticipation since the first trailer. That movie was toooooo slowwwwww.

I think Hereditary does a much better job with the pacing and tension building. There are basically clues/creepy moments nonstop.

-------

I have to point out how much I loved that low rumbling bassy atmospheric sound present through much of the movie. Every time that happened I felt dread as to what the hell was gonna happen next.

So damn well done.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh... it was alright.

First third was fantastic right up until that kid died, then it plummeted in both pacing and interest.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? I mean I think this movie established the weird dark tone very quickly. The way the family interacts with eachother is immediately noticeable and off-putting, not to mention there are very quickly creepy shots from nearly the very start.

I think a better example of a slow-burn is the new Suspiria. I honestly found that to be rather boring, and I saw it just last week after much anticipation since the first trailer. That movie was toooooo slowwwwww.

I think Hereditary does a much better job with the pacing and tension building. There are basically clues/creepy moments nonstop.

-------

I have to point out how much I loved that low rumbling bassy atmospheric sound present through much of the movie. Every time that happened I felt dread as to what the hell was gonna happen next.

So damn well done.
Sure, there's creepy things at the start of the movie, but I can imagine that the average person isn't going to notice or care about any of that until the heavy horror shit starts in, which isn't really until the last maybe third of the movie.

Similar to something like The Blackcoat's Daughter, which has elements of unease sprinkled throughout the beginning, but it doesn't get heavy until much later.

Oct 27, 2017
I need to watch it again, best horror movie in ages. I can't stand jump scare movies like The Conjuring *loud noise*.

Horror should be a slow burn, creepy and unnerving.

Samuel

Oct 27, 2017
I was seeing naked white dudes in the corner of my eye for about a week.

I hate this movie. (But I love this movie.)

Oct 25, 2017
First half of the film is some of the best I've ever seen.

The back half was hokey and goofy. It really let me down.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Toni Colette was indeed robbed of an Oscar nomination because of the horror aspect of Hereditary, yet I think it's as much a drama as anything.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best horror film of the decade for me. I haven't felt as unnerved and on the edge of my seat as I did when watching this opening weekend since maybe Rosemary's Baby. The theater was absolutely silent aside from some nervous giggles towards the end. Even two of my hardcore horror friends ended up leaving towards the end because the tension just got to be too much to handle.

Dare I say that it's one of the best horror films since the year 2000 up there with The Descent, Ginger Snaps, The Ring, and the first Saw movie. Fuck the Oscars forever for shunning Toni Colette just because the Academy hates horror.

Rationale

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I'm drawing a blank. What is this one about?

It might not have been a bowling ball. But there's a scene when the son wakes up in the night and can see the little girl in the shadows, then her head slides off but turns in to a ball. Implying that it was just shadowplay/trick of the light but the edit is excellent.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
It might not have been a bowling ball. But there's a scene when the son wakes up in the night and can see the little girl in the shadows, then her head slides off but turns in to a ball. Implying that it was just shadowplay/trick of the light but the edit is excellent.

Ahh ok, now I remember the scene. One of my favorites. Especially because of the clicking tongue sound.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This is another post, but I wonder if the way certain film genres are consumed changes the impact. Like Hereditary during 'netflix and chill' while periodically checking your phone in a well lit room hits different than 10pm turn the lights off, give it full attention since the movie is all about tension then a bunch of scares/visual acrobatics