• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How would you rate Hereditary?

• Perfect - no complaints

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • Amazing - minor complaints

Votes: 349 42.3%
  • Good - well done but with flaws

Votes: 214 25.9%
  • Okay - average movie, what's the big deal?

Votes: 77 9.3%
  • Bad - there wasn't very much I enjoyed

Votes: 45 5.4%
  • Awful - I hated everything about this

Votes: 40 4.8%

• Total voters

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I had was the info dump at the end, kinda ruined the pacing of the ending. Other than that I loved it.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The movie is a bit of a slow burn in a way that doesn't feel super necessary and the ending goes off the rails in a way that makes it a lot less interesting (instead of going down a supernatural rabbit hole the movie could have tried to say something about the human psyche). Toni Collette is fantastic in it and the movie has some moments that are pretty damn scary but taken as a whole package I felt sot of unsatisfied.

I also don't necessarily think it's so unconventional or inaccessible that people don't "get it". I think the VVitch absolutely is that way but Hereditary isn't like that weird of a horror movie.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it is good, definitely high tension throughout, but i resent that it played on the constant threat of decapitation as the horror hook, great performance from toni colette. not the best horror but a solid effort.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As a horror movie I think it's awful. I can't think of anything scary about it and during the last part of the movie, especially when the awful narration was going on the majority of people in the theater were laughing.

Take out all the bad horror aspects and there's an okay movie in there about a family dealing with loss.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Toni's character descending into a movie monster was the only downside for me. Other than that, great movie with unforgettable scenes. The part where she goes about her normal morning routine only to find her headless daughter in the car is bone chilling. And it's all just audio. Masterful.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't really like it but I didn't think I would. Once I saw the movie was praised by critics but got a D+ CinemaScore I knew exactly what kind of horror movie to expect.

I get liking this kind of movie, but I'm a little surprised when I hear people found it to be legitimately scary. I honestly laughed when she started crawling on the wall with that bad wire work lol.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why do some people think it went off the rails for the ending? The entire movie is literally building up to that, there are signs and things that point to all of that stuff sprinkled throughout the movie from the start to finish.

It's like complaining that the Exorcist goes off the rails when you see her head spin round.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have some minor issues with it, but overall I'd say it's one of the best horror movies of the 2000s for sure. Very disturbing, horrible fates for the family, it's all there.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It was really good, but took too long to get where it was going IMO. Better on a rewatch, which is something I normally dislike in a film.

I had been reading through the bizarre Lesser Key of Solomon for several days prior to seeing this. I had no idea it factored in. When the woman in the coven started saying they looked to the Northwest and summon King Paimon I about flipped out of my chair. Some of that was lifted right out of the grimoire.

It was also chilling how they put Charlie / Paimon's soul into his body, and just let his soul slip away. And that Charlie seemed unfazed by it all.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I have never felt more sick watching a movie than the entire sequence of the sister being decapitated and the brother going home in denial and the parents finding out about it in the morning. Amazing film making there.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
At its heart it's a gripping family drama about grief, which proved to be an effective delivery system for the horror and surrounding mystery. Toni Collette's performance is brilliant and I loved the ending.

I'd put it behind The Witch and Suspiria(2018) in my Occult Horror rankings, but it's a fantastic film.

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
It's the best horror film of the decade for me. I haven't felt as unnerved and on the edge of my seat as I did when watching this opening weekend since maybe Rosemary's Baby. The theater was absolutely silent aside from some nervous giggles towards the end. Even two of my hardcore horror friends ended up leaving towards the end because the tension just got to be too much to handle.

Dare I say that it's one of the best horror films since the year 2000 up there with The Descent, Ginger Snaps, The Ring, and the first Saw movie. Fuck the Oscars forever for shunning Toni Colette just because the Academy hates horror.

I definitely had to pause the movie at home a couples times, idk how it would've been like in theaters. I'm gonna go see Midsommar in theaters though, wonder how that will be.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding audience reaction, I think this suffers the same fate as The Shining did, and honestly the movies are very similar. General audiences don't know how to process this type of horror, they're used to being told when to be scared with common cues. Both of these movies let the scare happen organically, and without any shaky cam or jittery stuff that is present in a lot of jump scare movies. They linger on things that make you feel uncomfortable for a long time. Pay attention to how the characters appearences degrade throughout the movies and how they become more and more unstable.

Super Eyepatch Wolf does a really good job of explaining these conceots, and a lot better than me in his "Why the Shining is Terrifying" video

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It bored me. My gf loves it but I never felt frightened or unnerved, it was almost comically bad to me by the third act. Then again, she went to AFI like the director so maybe I'm a simpleton or something when it comes to these types of movies.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a horror movie I think it's awful. I can't think of anything scary about it and during the last part of the movie, especially when the awful narration was going on the majority of people in the theater were laughing.

Take out all the bad horror aspects and there's an okay movie in there about a family dealing with loss.
This makes me glad that I don't watch horror movies in the theater.

Dec 11, 2017
Technical flaws are the only parts that took me out like a botched practical effect of what is supposed to be a glass moving by itself on a kitchen table. You can see the disc pulling it so easily it ruined the scare. Also a really bad ADR line when she is getting instructions for performing the ritual.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What more do you want me to say?

Well, usually when you jump into a thread in which everyone is praising some work of art, people expect some kind of articulate criticism of it if you don't like it. Kind of like a common courtesy right? I mean the film has an 89% "Fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes. At least give us more than "it was a pile of shiite" or whatever you posted. Not trying to start an argument but you have to see how this comes off.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I enjoyed it but felt like it fell apart a bit towards he end. The movie was at its strongest when it was more of a drama than a horror. If anything the horror aspects particularly towards the end dragged the movie down.

Toni Colette should won an award for that role, one of the all time great performances IMO from one of the best actresses ever to grace the screen.

Slash Ess

Nov 5, 2017
My main problem with the film is my own preconception going into it that the dollhouses would have anything at all to do with it. Ultimately I found the movie really well done but incredibly disappointing that this element I was intrigued by from the trailers ultimately felt like a complete vestigial limb for set dressing and little else.

It applies perfectly thematically though and all of the cinematography is informed by the ideas behind the dollhouse from the very first shot imo

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It was good. Not amazing, but good. Toni Colette was incredible, though.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I know some people wanted the movie to ditch the supernatural element and make it about psychosis in the family (and the movie definitely toys with the possibility of it all being in their heads) but I LOVE that fact that it ended up being a straight up demonic possession.

It took a usually hokey horror concept and played it seriously, portraying how a real family would deal with such forces, in this case, not at all well.

No one was heroic or stood any chance against what was in store for them. Just disturbingly tragic.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can easily say it was the best horror movie experience I ever had in a theater. I also went in with 0 knowledge of what it was. I may never experience such a moment of pure dread like the one I felt after the car scene. Absolutely brilliant.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a horror fan who also thinks most horror movies are low grade shite. I loved this film. Everyone seems to hate the ending. I don't get it. I loved the ending.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really wanted to love it (especially due to how often it's mentioned in the same breath as The Witch), but I just couldn't get into it.

There was some pretty amazing performances - Toni Collette in particular was incredible at times - but I couldn't quite shake the feeling that there was this weird disconnect between the script and the way it was directed.

The script itself is pretty goofy, but it's presented totally straight. I mean maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention but am i supposed to believe that

such an overbearing mother, having spent the entire night getting her calls ignored, would just go to bed and not check that her daughter had gotten home safely? Or first thing in the morning? Or before she left the house? WTF?

Over time, these little things built up and up until I was taken out of the film completely.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw

the email the husband received, with attached pictures of a freshly dug grave. Earlier in the film he gets a phone call and the grave is described as 'desecrated', and when asked to elaborate the guys just says he'll send him an email.

How about instead of waiting a week to send me an email you call the police because someone is exhuming fucking corpses from your graveyard!

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to love it (especially due to how often it's mentioned in the same breath as The Witch), but I just couldn't get into it.

There was some pretty amazing performances - Toni Collette in particular was incredible at times - but I couldn't quite shake the feeling that there was this weird disconnect between the script and the way it was directed.

The script itself is pretty goofy, but it's presented totally straight. I mean maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention but am i supposed to believe that

such an overbearing mother, having spent the entire night getting her calls ignored, would just go to bed and not check that her daughter had gotten home safely? Or first thing in the morning? Or before she left the house? WTF?

Over time, these little things built up and up until I was taken out of the film completely.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw

the email the husband received, with attached pictures of a freshly dug grave. Earlier in the film he gets a phone call and the grave is described as 'desecrated', and when asked to elaborate the guys just says he'll send him an email.

How about instead of waiting a week to send me an email you call the police because someone is exhuming fucking corpses from your graveyard!

Not sure where you get the idea she's supposed to be a particularly caring mom from. Within the first 10 minutes Charlie shoves a chocolate bar in her mouth and she's just like, "Yo there aren't nuts in that right. Cause we don't have the epi pen." She never makes sure anyone has the pen.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure where you get the idea she's supposed to be a particularly caring mom from. Within the first 10 minutes Charlie shoves a chocolate bar in her mouth and she's just like, "Yo there aren't nuts in that right. Cause we don't have the epi pen." She never makes sure anyone has the pen.

That's just how stressed the fuck out moms talk. She was literally calling the sons phone all night.

The most effective moments of the film were in her absolutely harrowing portrayal of grief imo. Toni Collette knocked that shit out of the park.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This movie fucked me up. I watched it the night before I had to be up for a 6AM flight and it ruined me.