• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How would you rate Hereditary?

• Perfect - no complaints

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • Amazing - minor complaints

Votes: 349 42.3%
  • Good - well done but with flaws

Votes: 214 25.9%
  • Okay - average movie, what's the big deal?

Votes: 77 9.3%
  • Bad - there wasn't very much I enjoyed

Votes: 45 5.4%
  • Awful - I hated everything about this

Votes: 40 4.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
carlosrox

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I found it amazing how they conditioned me into becoming extremely uneasy/scared shirtless with a simple "pop". I hated hearing that things, it was used as a jump scare several times but I think the movie more than earned the right to use that when everything in the movie is built up so well.

Ingenious.

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic movie. My only real complaints center around the son and his writing / portrayal. But even those are fairly minor. It's always nice to see the horror genre produce something good when almost all of its output is banal garbage padding out franchises that never should've been franchises in the first place.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
People who thought the ending was stupid must hate horror classics like Hellraiser, Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist and Poltergeist --- where each of them went batshit insane in the 3rd act.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I love everything about half the movie so, the general sense of foreboding, the death and immediate aftermath was all incredible.

Then it veered hard into campy horror and lost me entirely

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't find the movie scary at all. The tone of the movie is good and it feels like it is going to do something interesting, then just fell flat.

That's cool you enjoyed it though, OP.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Really good movie. I can't think of a movie that made my skin crawl like this one. So many good scenes. THAT scene... Toni Collette writhing in agony... The dinner scene... Joan calling out to Peter from across the street... that first nude cultist...

Normally fast paced disturbing movement doesn't do much for me, like in Jacob's Ladder and It, but Annie banging her head on the attic door freaked me the fuck out.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tumblr_oqlieyK6vr1vifzjto2_640.gif
: The Movie

Thought it was brilliant and haunting until the last bit. I laughed so hard at Toni Collette cutting off her own head, that's where the movie lost me.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The film is as masterclass in suspense, disturbing imagery, acting, and cinematography. It's an extremely well crafted film and some moments really stuck with me.

Having said all that, I found the very last scene to be rather baffling and I still don't fully understand it. I don't expect a movie to spell things out for me but thematically I don't see how the implications of the ending connect with the rest of the film. Other than "grandma was into some cult shit".

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
First portion was great, the rest I didn't actually care for. Plus the son was way too old for the role, some of his delivery for the lines he had didn't fit at all and made bits of the film comical.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
It had me shook as fuck as I left the theater, and I'm not sure any horror movie has done that to me since watching The Shining as a a kid. The imagery, the whole frog in a boiling pan situation of the mentally ill family and the cultists slowly killing everyone and taking over, etc. Even though it had some supernatural elements to it, it felt real and palatable enough to freak me the fuck out lol. For a few days I was like, "I'm NEVER gonna post on the internet again. What if a crazy cult finds my social media posts and starts stalking me?" Eventually I came to my senses, but it still left quite an impression that few movies have.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find it scary, per se, though I don't see why that has to be a knock against it. It's probably the most uncomfortable I've ever been watching a movie (besides Mother!). I wanted it to be over so bad. I never, ever want to watch it again, but in a good way.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i thought it was pretty great. to me the emotional core of the movie was the family drama more than the horror elements. the depicted feelings of guilt and blame of the son and the mother after the daughter's death, together with the grief that took hold of the entire family, were raw and affecting

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Hmm, maybe I have to watch it again, but honestly the only peak the movie had for me was the beheading.

It's like the movie built up to that point, then once it happened, everything after that was your generic "malevolent force is taking over" stuff. As though somehow they rely on the shock value of that scene to sustain the rest of the movie. Am I wrong?

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the theater I saw it at started laughing in the last 20 minutes which totally ruined it for me at the end. otherwise it was a very good movie. it did a lot right.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think it's a fantastic movie but "only" a really good horror movie, of that makes sense. I find a lot of the tension to be of the hard to watch dysfunctional family dynamics than the dread of something unsettling. That's the difference between Suspiria remake and Hereditary for me.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it was a damn good movie. but some of the reactions when it came out had me scratching my head, just seemed to a well made horror flick (a la The Witch) and i left it at that

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I think it's a fantastic movie but "only" a really good horror movie, of that makes sense. I find a lot of the tension to be of the hard to watch dysfunctional family dynamics than the dread of something unsettling. That's the difference between Suspiria remake and Hereditary for me.

You know, maybe it was that dysfunctional family element that didn't take with me. I didn't really like any of the characters, in a similar way that I didn't care about any of the characters in Fear the Walking Dead -- they all just seemed like shitty people to me. Maybe I should rewatch with a little more empathy :)

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ok, there always seems to be a horror movie every year that I disagree with most on. I feel like this movie is so well acted ( besides the son) and so well shot that people cant help but say "good movie".

But its much more effective to me as a dramatic piece than a horror movie. The plot is full of meaningful lingering shots, but they go ahead and spell everything out in detail the last two minutes. It tries to go crazy at the end, but the head sawing, air swimming stuff is, at the least, pretty decisive on what you find creepy. At most, it's too much in an otherwise very grounded movie.

Im still pissed the models never did anything scary, I was waiting for some horrible future vision spelled out in the figures and dioramas.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find it scary, per se, though I don't see why that has to be a knock against it. It's probably the most uncomfortable I've ever been watching a movie (besides Mother!). I wanted it to be over so bad. I never, ever want to watch it again, but in a good way.
I find it interesting how people (not you specifically, but your post is a good example) see the two ("scary" versus uncomfortable/unnerving/unsettling/etc) as different things.

i thought it was pretty great. to me the emotional core of the movie was the family drama more than the horror elements. the depicted feelings of guilt and blame of the son and the mother after the daughter's death, together with the grief that took hold of the entire family, were raw and affecting
Much like The Shining, the horror derives from domestic drama, and the drama reinforces the horror. The two aren't separate elements

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
You know, maybe it was that dysfunctional family element that didn't take with me. I didn't really like any of the characters, in a similar way that I didn't care about any of the characters in Fear the Walking Dead -- they all just seemed like shitty people to me. Maybe I should rewatch with a little more empathy :)

You should. I mean the family is supposed to not be particularly likeable to reinforce the cursed/screwed up relationships they all share and the invisible string pulling of the cult. I didn't like them but man that dinner scene fucks me up just thinking about it because of my very, very minor family dysfunction.

Ultimately though I think one of the points of contention are people who enjoy the minor creepy elements throughout the movie and the tension between the family, and those that aren't sustained by those things when looking for a horror movie experience. Tension is tension, but in my opinion for a large chunk of the movie the tension isn't from some supernatural dread and many horror fans want that specifically.

I mean there are other reasons why it, and to a lesser extent The Witch are divisive, but as a big Horror fan I think that's the biggest one.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I too watched it blind the first time and it was like a punch to the gut. I haven't seen a horror film in a long time that affected me so strongly emotionally. It's visually gorgeous, well framed, well lit, with a unique score, solid horrific imagery and atmosphere, and absolutely pulls no punches in the plot. It's like Pet Sematary in how things just get worse and worse for this family. Worse than you can imagine going into the film.

It's equal parts horror and drama, which I appreciate as the outcomes of each fucked up event are stewed in and analyzed through each character. It makes the film feel even more depressing and hopeless as it goes on.

If there is one little thing that bugged me, it's the explanation for the events, which felt too common. I would've preferred little to no explanation at all.

But still, that minor gripe aside, I think Hereditary is a modern classic. Can't wait for Midsommar.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Ultimately though I think one of the points of contention are people who enjoy the minor creepy elements throughout the movie and the tension between the family, and those that aren't sustained by those things when looking for a horror movie experience. Tension is tension, but in my opinion for a large chunk of the movie the tension isn't from some supernatural dread and many horror fans want that specifically.

I mean there are other reasons why it, and to a lesser extent The Witch are divisive, but as a big Horror fan I think that's the biggest one.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Definitely went into this expecting something along the lines of The Conjuring or maybe a contemporary "The Omen", not a social drama. Are you saying this was also a problem with The Witch? Because I didn't react the same way with that movie (in fact totally enjoyed it).

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
The performances and just outright depressing nature of it were effective, but the instigating event (kid in the car) was so fucking absurd and laughable it was hard to take it seriously.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Watched this once in an empty theater and was honestly extremely bored. I love horror but I guess not of this type? I don't know. Didn't like VVitch much either

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think you hit the nail on the head. Definitely went into this expecting something along the lines of The Conjuring or maybe a contemporary "The Omen", not a social drama. Are you saying this was also a problem with The Witch? Because I didn't react the same way with that movie (in fact totally enjoyed it).

I would say it's similar but not as pronounced in The Witch. The difference is the occult/disturbing stuff was more present throughout the movie and the claustrophobic nature of the setting and how well it was captured helped the tension feel far more scary and just tense. However, it's the same sort of slow burn horror that many people find boring.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
I was tearing up during the dinner table scene. Those performances were raw and powerful.

Deeply unsettling movie.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The film is as masterclass in suspense, disturbing imagery, acting, and cinematography. It's an extremely well crafted film and some moments really stuck with me.

Having said all that, I found the very last scene to be rather baffling and I still don't fully understand it. I don't expect a movie to spell things out for me but thematically I don't see how the implications of the ending connect with the rest of the film. Other than "grandma was into some cult shit".

A quick overview but the general gist of the storyline:

The grandma and the cult she was in were meant to find a vessel for Paimon (the demon that takes over Peter's body at the end). Paimon needed a male vessel but they were temporarily using Charlie as a vessel until they could get a male host for him.

Annie knew that something was weird about her mother, throughout the movie she talks about how she didn't want her mother around Peter, as well as her late brother (who had committed suicide), who said that they were trying to put "people" inside him among other strange things her mother did.

Joan (Ann Dowd, the woman that Annie strikes up a friendship with that she doesn't realize at first was in the cult with her grandmother) is teaching her "rituals" that Annie thinks are meant to help her, but they aren't, they are rituals that is allowing Paimon influence over her and Peter.

After Charlie dies and Annie has Peter do these rituals Paimon is able to enter Peter because of this, however Peter still has some control. Once he jumps out of the window (and dies) this allows Paimon to then fully take over his body and he now has the male vessel that he needed to come fourth fully and have his power.

Throughout the movie you can see members of this cult in the background, around the house, in dark corners of the rooms, they are literally ALWAYS watching Annie and the family, influencing them, and paving the way for Paimon to take over Peter.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I hated The VVitch because i found it utterly boring. I enjoyed Hereditary because it felt like things were actually happening and i like films about cults and the supernatural.

Toni was good, but i think people overhyped her performance so i was let down when i saw it because people saying she was "oscar worthy". i found her to be good but thats about it.

It was very disturbing but not scary. I liked the ending.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
A quick overview but the general gist of the storyline:

The grandma and the cult she was in were meant to find a vessel for Paimon (the demon that takes over Peter's body at the end). Paimon needed a male vessel but they were temporarily using Charlie as a vessel until they could get a male host for him.

Annie knew that something was weird about her mother, throughout the movie she talks about how she didn't want her mother around Peter, as well as her late brother (who had committed suicide), who said that they were trying to put "people" inside him among other strange things her mother did.

Joan (Ann Dowd, the woman that Annie strikes up a friendship with that she doesn't realize at first was in the cult with her grandmother) is teaching her "rituals" that Annie thinks are meant to help her, but they aren't, they are rituals that is allowing Paimon influence over her and Peter.

After Charlie dies and Annie has Peter do these rituals Paimon is able to enter Peter because of this, however Peter still has some control. Once he jumps out of the window (and dies) this allows Paimon to then fully take over his body and he now has the male vessel that he needed to come fourth fully and have his power.

Throughout the movie you can see members of this cult in the background, around the house, in dark corners of the rooms, they are literally ALWAYS watching Annie and the family, influencing them, and paving the way for Paimon to take over Peter.

giphy.gif

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Was just going to make a new thread about it.

Hereditary is a masterpiece, one of the greatest horror movies I've ever seen. Toni Collette deserved the Academy for best actress this year.

Audiences tend to dislike movies with sad or dark endings. It's why movies like Fatal Attraction changed its ending from one that fits the story to the clichie "cheating woman gets punished in the end" even though he cheated on his wife everything was alright in the end for him..

Back to Hereditary,

The scene when she cries near her bed was the best cry ever captured in film, her scene at the table felt so natural that I felt I was sitting with them.

I could spend hours writing about the film from the actors to the talened director but I really want everyone to experience it before being spoiled.