• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
header.jpg

Platforms: PS4/X1/PC
Price: $19.99

Features:
Experience the critically acclaimed masterpiece with its renowned Sumi-e ink art style in breathtaking high resolution. Take on the role of Amaterasu, the Japanese sun goddess who inhabits the form of a legendary white wolf, on a quest to defeat Orochi, an eight-headed demon and tyrannical monster responsible for turning the world of Nippon into a ruined wasteland.

Players will be able to choose between modern widescreen format or the original release's 4:3 ratio. Interactive loading game screens from the original game are also included.

The original loading screen mini-game also returns where you can earn bonus demon fangs that can be traded for in-game items.

*The game is locked to 30FPS on PC as it is on other platforms.
**PS3 and PS4 share the same trophy list (If you have any trophies from PS3, you'll already have them on PS4)
***Cutscenes and Grunts can now be skipped or muted

Switch Features
Not only can you play in both widescreen and and the original 4:3 aspect ratio, you can now use the Joy-Con (in TV mode/tabletop mode) or touch screen (in portable mode) for intuitive, direct Celestial Brush controls.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/vekiiMbA-Zw

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Well there you go. Title got fucked up so I'm just gonna leave it like that now.
What it's another of Kamiya' is a mystery now.

Nov 28, 2017
I'm still consistently impressed at how beautiful the game is. There are some art styles in games that don't suffer as tech advances, they only benefit, and I genuinely believe this is one of them. I'll happily be picking this up for the fourth time.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Been playing on the PS4 Pro and am enjoying it quite a bit. Though I do really miss Move support, I had practically forgotten how well it does control on a controller as well(straight lines are actually much easier with the sticks, but the novelty of drawing with the wand is still missed).

Looks really superb despite the PS2 roots feeling a bit dated here and there. I prefer the paper filter set to 'low/off', but its nice that the option is present for those that want it. Crazy though, I still recall the non-HD CRT I played this on a decade ago on PS2. Today I am playing it in 4K on a massive flatscreen.

Wish they fixed the ability to always button skip dialogue though. The major story conversations are locked with slow crawl while lesser conversations can be read quickly, just inconsistent(but you can skip it outright and read your journal for the objective if need be).

After now releasing on four consoles, I am finally prepared to make this run the one I see to the end(fizzled out on every other version between 10 and 40 hours...)

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
How's the kb/m support? Really tempted to try this and the dota courier is a nice bonus.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to get this but I heard the pop in on PC is really bad. I don't mind outdated graphics, especially if the overall aesthetics are good overall, but I hate pop in.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I got mine a few hours ago, waiting to finish XC2 and 2-3 more RPGs before i replay Ôkami for the Xth time.
One question to the people that have already played. The tearing problems are in this version like they were on the PS3 one? I picked PS4 over PC (because the boxart is dope) and i want to be sure.

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Will be buying for the 2nd time after having lost my Wii version. I'm hoping it's as good as I remember it.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Pre-ordered it but have to finish Prey and some other very long games I bought in black friday. After that I'll replay this masterpiece (first replay ever). January for me.

Enjoy! and don't get discouraged for the first few hs, it starts kinda boring but it gets so much better!

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Delivery of mine got delayed, but happy to be triple dipping. In the mood for a replay.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if it's native 4K on the Pro?

I just got a 4K OLED and I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading my PS3 copy to a PS4 copy. I have a Pro and I never got around to playing this game.

CavZee

Nov 6, 2017
One of my fav games of all time. Will probably jump into this sometime after the holidays.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
First time playing it (always wanted to), so I'm excited to continue it. Played it yesterday of course. :)

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should add that you can skip most scenes and also mute the grunts now.

It's crazy how gorgeous it looks.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
You should add that you can skip most scenes and also mute the grunts now.

It's crazy how gorgeous it looks.

Oh, this is great. Having to listen to Issun's inane commentary is by far the worst part of the game. Would've been so much better if it was just you alone as Amaterasu ...

Hope to pick this up on PC next year after building one (though I wouldn't complain if they announced it for Switch before then lol)

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing on the PS4 Pro and am enjoying it quite a bit. Though I do really miss Move support, I had practically forgotten how well it does control on a controller as well(straight lines are actually much easier with the sticks, but the novelty of drawing with the wand is still missed).

Looks really superb despite the PS2 roots feeling a bit dated here and there. I prefer the paper filter set to 'low/off', but its nice that the option is present for those that want it. Crazy though, I still recall the non-HD CRT I played this on a decade ago on PS2. Today I am playing it in 4K on a massive flatscreen.

Wish they fixed the ability to always button skip dialogue though. The major story conversations are locked with slow crawl while lesser conversations can be read quickly, just inconsistent(but you can skip it outright and read your journal for the objective if need be).

After now releasing on four consoles, I am finally prepared to make this run the one I see to the end(fizzled out on every other version between 10 and 40 hours...)
Can you use the touchpad of the PS4 controller to draw?

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you use the touchpad of the PS4 controller to draw?

Yeah but you need to hold Square so it's a bit awkward having to shuffle the left hand all the time. It's neat to do from time to time though.

Oh, this is great. Having to listen to Issun's inane commentary is by far the worst part of the game. Would've been so much better if it was just you alone as Amaterasu ...

Hope to pick this up on PC next year after building one (though I wouldn't complain if they announced it for Switch before then lol)

I'm actually surprised that the handholding dies down a fair bit by the second dungeon, even though it still rears its head every now and then. I remembered it being worse, but it's probably snowballing effect from the Twilight Princess>Okami>Skyward Sword combo. The first couple of hours are just ridiculous, yeah.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
I'm actually surprised that the handholding dies down a fair bit by the second dungeon, even though it still rears its head every now and then. The first couple of hours are just ridiculous, yeah.

It's not so much about handholding as much as it is that Issun is just an extremely irritating character, seemingly by design. :')

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not so much about handholding as much as it is that Issun is just an extremely irritating character, seemingly by design. :')

Haha, true enough. Seeing how far they could take Amaterasu's physical humour antics throughout the whole game would have been an interersting take on the mute main character too.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
have never played this game, i think it would have benefited from VR support given the control style.

DarkStream

Oct 27, 2017
Played it back on PS2. Didn't have much time back then and I played for a couple of hours and never did again. The long intro didn't help.

Played on Wii and the same thing happened. The wiimote was a perfect match for this game though.

Played it on PCSX2 a couple of months ago. AGAIN during a stressful time. The long intro + text speed + character noises did the rest.

Bought Okami HD on PC right after release. I since have played 6 hours in one sitting and really love the game. The humor is cute and they still manage to have a meaningful story at the same time . The music is fantastic. The visuals are stunning. The gameplay is unique and fun. I'm so happy I gave it another shot!

Bonus questions: Was the abbility to speed up the text added in the PS3 Release? Did the PS3 version include any changes beyond the resolution bump?

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Bonus questions: Was the abbility to speed up the text added in the PS3 Release? Did the PS3 version include any changes beyond the resolution bump?
The Wii version addded more color saturation or something. It looks less washed out than on the PS2.

The PS3 version included that upgrade from the Wii.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
y no hard mode ;_;

Anyway, if the opening cutscene can be skipped then I may have to dip again. Okami is one of my favourite games.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
For people who got the ps4 version, can someone tell me if there is Japanese text option in this game?

Edit: Only if you set your system level to Japanese. There is no in game setting for language.

So PS3 and PS4 share trophies. Is there also a way to transfer saves?

nope.

Stop reading Era and buy it, dammit!

Nice going, furball!

Last edited:

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Okamiya.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the reactions. For me Okami is quite a special game. Would probably buy it down the line again. <3

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should ask, are there any differences from the PS3 version?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I should ask, are there any differences from the PS3 version?
They added back in the loading minigames from the PS2 version, though they have to be enabled in the options menu. I don't remember what the other differences are off the top of my head, if there are any.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Cancelled my order weeks ago, yet it just fell through my door today. Guess I'll be playing it over the holidays! I barely know anything about it.