• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
1ZqwrL5.jpg

It was confrimed by WBacon a few hours ago that indeed Okami on steam will be 30 fps locked. Sadly this will be a deal braker for me.

30 fps lock me if old.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
"The reality is that it'd take a Hurculean effort, time, and cost, to manually fix and QA by trial and error."

Incoming "Durante pls" post flood.

Seriously though FPS tied to logic probably makes this hard to fix.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. I mean. Like. What do I say? No. I'm not buying this. Shame. I've always been interested in it, but I have other games to play. This is nonsense.

Like idk it's a shame reading they couldn't fix it, but that just doesn't seem worth it, at least not a priority.

EDIT: I may have been a little harsh. I'm sure this isn't easy, but I dunno. Sucks for the devs that they couldn't make this work :/

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This was pretty much expected. Given the length of the game catching all of the bugs in QA would probably be an enormous undertaking. It's still disappointing though.

OP
OP
R.T Straker

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I mean PCSX2 has a hack that enables the game to run at 60 fps without breaking it on the PS2 emulated version...

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
This user was warned: Calling the developers incompetent when the actual reasons are outlined in the OP
Incompetence knows no bounds. :|

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Game would look even more beautiful at 60. I understand the game was not built with that frame speed in mind. For most, it will play just fine.

But that herculean effort comment well be met with many "challenge accepted"

Such as Durante?

8ffd8b1e292d97550b50da36ed9c1068261ac8dcdf3fb7445755f7418401d30f.jpg

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I can understand not wanting to go back to PS2 code.

All that matters is whether or not you can skip the text scrolling.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Eh too bad. Still buying it also props to them for making the Celestial brush working with mouse or steam controller ;)

I also hope someone will find a way to make it 60fps.

Although if WBacon is reading, maybe Capcom could allow for a 60fps branch path on Steam, warning that it may not work as intended ?

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I mean PCSX2 has a hack that enables the game to run at 60 fps without breaking it on the PS2 emulated version...

In comments of that video, someone said it does break the game. Not in that it wont run but like WBacon said, it fucks with the animations and logic.

That said, I imagine there will be a 60 fps workaround that will have caveats like the Dark Souls 1 fps unlock, which is something Capcom can't get away with as an official thing.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. I mean. Like. What do I say? No. I'm not buying this. Shame. I've always been interested in it, but I have other games to play. This is nonsense.

Like idk it's a shame reading they couldn't fix it, but that just doesn't seem worth it, at least not a priority.

Okay, let's hear how you'd so easily make a game built for 30fps run at 60 with no issues.

Ports, especially for niche games, aren't going to be given the budget to do a deep engine rewrite.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I always figured we'd have to hope for fan mods/patches to address that. At least it isn't a PC native game locked to 30 because "I dunno".

Last edited:

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It's not realistic to ask for "60 fps or no buy" for ports of older titles when the game logic really is directly tied to the game running at 30 fps. It's reasonable to expect that for a completely new product, but not something like this.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand it in this case. If they're selling the game for $20, they obviously didn't have a huge budget for the remaster. Something like the $50 Final Fantasy XII HD remaster has a lot less of an excuse for not sorting it out, for comparison.

Still, 60FPS would have made it an insta-buy. At 30 I can wait for a sale.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The reality is that it'd take a Hurculean effort, time, and cost, to manually fix and QA by trial and error."

The modding community will have it done in a week

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. It's too bad it isn't 60 or unlocked, but I get it. Not a deal breaker for me.

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is unfortunate, but in no way a deal-breaker to me. I am just happy that we're getting a port of Okami, with or without technical improvements compared to previous versions. That said, it is nice that we get Steam Controller support.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Fine by me. Can't expect too much from old-ass PS2 Clover ports and Capcom have otherwise generally done a pretty outstanding job with their previous ports so i'll take em at their word that it would've been out of scope to try to get it running appropriately at 60fps.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the PS3 port but never played it. Guess I'll stick with that though, as there really isn't enough here to warrant a second purchase on PC.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Eh I'm still getting it. Curiously enough though, would an unlocked framerate still affect it?
Aren't Way of the Samurai 3 and 4 also locked to 30 FPS?

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess it can't be helped when a lot of stuff are tied to framerate, if it's moddable perhaps modders/the community can look into it.

Would've been nice though.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not the best video to show it, almost everything on that video is running faster than the original. And some essential gameplay mechanics are not even working with that hack. It's definitely broken.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I... don't mind. But I'm in the minority that don't notice such things after the first 30 minutes. For example, I played Bloodborne after the loading patch, and had a blast while everybody else was busy whining about framepacing "issues."
I think this trend of "everything should run at 100000000000fps/1000k" is hurting PC gamers. People are having fun with Switch/3DS!!!! while you're worrying about such things.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, guys, this shouldn't be a dealbreaker. It's not like they locked out of ignorance or incompetence, it's a PS2 game. It's also not a downgrade, it's not like the game was unplayable on PS2 before - I understand the desire for it to be 60 fps, but it's not always that simple.