• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Congratulation! The 12th anniversary of Okami! "Okami" was born in this world. That is why a collaborative illustration has arrived from Mr. Kenichiro Yoshimura and Mari Shimazaki, the original artists of this work! The painting of the feasting brush gods gathered together! It's cute Amaterasu peeking out from Iwato!

E7lST5J.jpg

Last edited:

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I keep telling myself I don't need to put another 80 hours into Okami. I have a life to live.

But that art...

You can still put another 80 hours into Okami and have a life. Just balence your time better instead of overloading time into one activity at once.

Seriously can Capcom work together with Platinum to produce a new Okami game? Or maybe a spiritual successor? I just need a new action adventure game from Kamiya.

Livia

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Bergen
I've never played Okami before, but it looks interesting. I've heard it is kinda similar to Zelda. As i'm a huge Zelda fan, will I like this game? Or is it a pretty niche game?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I've never played Okami before, but it looks interesting. I've heard it is kinda similar to Zelda. As i'm a huge Zelda fan, will I like this game? Or is it a pretty niche game?
It's a straight up Zelda clone, you'll like it. Get ready though, it's basically got enough content for 2-3 games.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So its a huge game? With lots of fillers also, or fun little side quests like Zelda? I might buy for Switch, but maybe I should watch some reviews first.
No, the main quest line is huge. There's side stuff but progession (and world design) is pretty linear, even moreso than Zelda, but there is just a ton of stuff. It's a huge game and not on filler.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There is a way to have Okami 2.
SONY buys exclusivity rights and announced for PS5

Amaterasu appears in God Of War 2 and lends her brush to Kratos
Then she gets her own spin-off in Okami 2. If you have a save file from God of War, you get the BRUSHES OF CHAOS weapon

Bartend3r

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have wonderful memories of this gem. It's maybe way too long but I didn't care. It was too beautiful to end anyway.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I agree it's a deal, but I still want it on my shelf. If it's physical in Japan, I'll import.
Yeah, it's probably digital only in the west because of the low pricepoint. There's just no way you can make the math work for a 16GB card at $19.99.

Capcom (and other major publishers) need to learn they can still release physical games for a higher premium though. I bet people would jump on a $39.99 limited physical release for example.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, it's probably digital only in the west because of the low pricepoint. There's just no way you can make the math work for a 16GB card at $19.99.

Capcom (and other major publishers) need to learn they can still release physical games for a higher premium though. I bet people would jump on a $39.99 limited physical release for example.
Agreed. Include like a poster and key chain and people will pay.

vala

Oct 25, 2017
They don't work at Platinum anymore. They have been freelance for a while.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite game ever. It brings me joy each time I play it. The only flaw for me is the gibberish sounds instead of real Japanese for voices. I see the comments about it being long enough for 3 games are already here, but I wanted it to be longer.

There is a way to have Okami 2.
SONY buys exclusivity rights and announced for PS5

Amaterasu appears in God Of War 2 and lends her brush to Kratos
Then she gets her own spin-off in Okami 2. If you have a save file from God of War, you get the BRUSHES OF CHAOS weapon

Nah. Kratos is a trash tier shit-stain of a character who would try to kill Amaterasu and Chibiterasu. Sony would probably force them to use the original graphic style-
latest

- and take away her ability to jump. Okami is the antithesis of God of War. It's humorous and uplifting.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Okami for the first time this year (after buying it on the PS2 and PS3), and while it's one of the more heavily padded games I've played in a while, it's beyond beautiful.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Cool, a depiction of Amaterasu's myth when she (and thus the sunlight) was driven inside the Amano-Iwato, and the other gods threw a party to make her curious and lure her out!

Since she hid inside the cave for a long period of time before coming out, I hope this symbolizes the franchise hiding for a long time and everyone doing their best to make it come back... but I know that's too farfetched. Still, an Okami 2 is a possibility I think, after Kamiya teased it a couple of years ago along with Bayonetta 3, which was recently announced.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My favorite game ever. It brings me joy each time I play it. The only flaw for me is the gibberish sounds instead of real Japanese for voices. I see the comments about it being long enough for 3 games are already here, but I wanted it to be longer.

Nah. Kratos is a trash tier shit-stain of a character who would try to kill Amaterasu and Chibiterasu. Sony would probably force them to use the original graphic style-

- and take away her ability to jump. Okami is the antithesis of God of War. It's humorous and uplifting.

Then you have not played the new God Of War, it's much more to your liking

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My heart is filled with joy! Okami is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time. Can't wait to play it again on Switch come summer, and I still hold out hope for a new game someday. Maybe Nintendo can pull some magic strings again and fund a sequel like they did with Bayonetta.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
12 years and it's still my favourite game of all time. By far the best Zelda Game ever. Replayed it this year for the Platinum already to tie in with the Year of the Dog celebrations.

(I also recorded a playthrough through the PS4 share feature that is currently in Limbo because they don't let you record the final boss but lets not talk about that).

One of the best things about the game is that the very first major mechanic it teaches you after getting the basic controls is not how to fight enemies, but instead it's the Rejuvenation Brush Technique to fix what is broken. Puts you in the mind that you are out there trying to fix Nippon and restore it to it's beautiful original state.

If there is a complaint about the game to have is that it's not very difficult, which is a subjective complaint at best (Just because you found it easy doesn't mean everyone will). The battle ranking system helps solve that issue (If the game is that easy, why aren't you getting Perfect Cherry Blossom rankings for each fight then?) and if you want challenge, there are some challenging bonus fights to go through like the Demon Gate Trials and the Kusa 5.

I do wish the game was slightly longer than it was, as others had said. it feels like there should be 4 acts, one for each Season of the Year.

Eastern Nippon with Kamiki Village, Sinshu Field, Agata Forest, Taka Pass and so on is the act of Spring.
Western Nippon with the Ryoshima Coasts and Sei-An City is the act of Summer
And the Northern Lands with Kamui, Ezo'Fuji and Wep'keer is the act of Winter

But where is Autumn? Feels missing in the game. Maybe they had to cut it due to Time and Budget restraints, if you look at the Promo Art in game when you beat it you can see they had a fully fleshed out Dragon Palace City area (instead of just using a retextured Sasa Sanctuary in the final game) and they had a 4th set of standard enemies with the Clay Warriors that only shows up in the very brief Spirit Gate area, so maybe they wanted an Autumn act but didn't have the time/budget to do so.

Regardless, Okami still is a must play for anyone into Games, It's avaialble on just about every major platform (With Switch being very soon) so no excuses. Go out and play it. You will have a great time.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
What an incredible game. The greatest adventure in a video game for sure.

Favourite game of all time, easily.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sick and tired of hopelessly wishing for a proper console sequel. I've lost most of my interest already. It being 12 years old only makes me saltier.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
8 years since the last game besides the remasters and it's good to see merchandise still being created.
shiranui-web-horizontal-exc-01.jpg

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm beyond excited to replay one of my favorite games of all time on switch. it's been so long since i played the game (i only played once, the PS2 version). i'm disappointed that there's not gonna be a physical release but what can you do

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I just played the okami remaster in 4k on pc, it looks so fucking good, probably my all time favorite art style in a videgame.

Also the best zelda game until breath of the wild was released. ;)