• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm rewatching Aliens (which is still so, so great) and she's at the standoff with the queen.

She's able to sort of come to an understanding with the xeno's (who I dont think have or ever do show that level of conscious reasoning in the series besides this moment) by threatening their eggs if they attack her and Newt.

She leverages her threat, and backs off safely with Newt, before saying eff it and blowing everything in the room up to kingdom come.

She knows "this whole place is gonna be a cloud the size of Nebraska" in like 5 minutes (or whatever Bishop said) anyway, and in all honesty the aliens were probs just gonna mirk her the second she got outta the room, but it just seemed kinda like a dick move in the moment.

Theyre just tryin to live Ripley, come on.

Did I mention, this movie is still so, so great?

Last edited:

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
Wait, didn't an egg hatch right near her before she burned everything, implying that they never intended to let her leave?

Edit: Yeah, here's the scene. She basically threatens with the flame thrower, the queen pretends to let her leave, and then at 2:40 an egg hatches, and Ripley burns everything:

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They killed everyone, they deserved it. Plus they are animals. Plus fuck you, Queen.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was the only way to be sure, come on man.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Oh and screw Burke forever. What a snake, with every rewatch of this I get as pissed as I did the first time when he shuts the monitor off. Underappreciated villain in just how sleazy he is without being an overly dramatized mustache twirling misanthrope like most movie villains.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
People always complain when people are stupid in horror movies. This was a smart thing. Same with MacCready's plan in the thing.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
You would have done the same thing if you had the chance.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I mean, what else should she do? Xenos will fuck shit up if they are not dealt with.

Dec 22, 2017
361343.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
No. Damn, how are people so bad at reading scenes. No agreement was reached. She tried to reason with the Queen but as she exits one of the Eggs opens signaling to her that the Queen was not keeping up the bargain. She then carried through with her threat.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
For context, I was sitting with my mom (who I'm visiting) in a church this past sunday and stood up in the middle of the closing prayer to save a tiny spider on the floor to take it outside before it got goose stepped by Jesus.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You mean she killed them all? Not just the men but the women and children too?

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For context, I was sitting with my mom (who I'm visiting) in a church this past sunday and stood up in the middle of the closing prayer to save a tiny spider on the floor to take it outside before it could goose stepped by Jesus.
Spiders don't fucking eat people though.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
It was a way for her to terrorize the queen. Revenge. A dick move. She just wanted the queen to suffer.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I felt more empathy in 98 (God)Zilla when the eggs hatched in Madison Square Garden and all (but 1... who lived on in the cartoon) got killed off in an explosion. Mother wasn't happy to see that :(

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
No. Damn, how are people so bad at reading scenes. No agreement was reached. She tried to reason with the Queen but as she exits one of the Eggs opens signaling to her that the Queen was not keeping up the bargain. She then carried through with her threat.
What told you the Queen could birth them on command? I think it was just a stimuli that coaxed a reaction out of Ripley in a moment of realizing those eggs give birth to the things that have killed everyone she knows so she got revenge.

Youre dang right no agreement was reached, it was just a standoff with a loose agreement borne from the tension of the moment.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Oh and screw Burke forever. What a snake, with every rewatch of this I get as pissed as I did the first time when he shuts the monitor off. Underappreciated villain in just how sleazy he is without being an overly dramatized mustache twirling misanthrope like most movie villains.

I've never been able to watch Mad About You because all I can see in Paul Reiser is his role in Aliens.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It would have been a far lesser movie had she not burned the eggs and just bounced up out of there.

Jsunu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
would kinda suck if the eggs hatched randomly. But I also see why Ripely did it, it was to also create a wall of fire and confusion to prevent the xenomorphs to immediately attack after she left the hatchery.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
She was right to burn the place down, but are we implying that the Queen had control of the moment the egg hatched? I always read the scene as the two reaching detente, and then an egg hatches because that's what eggs do, and Ripley is all like "no, there can never be peace" and burns the place down. I do remember the look she shoots the Queen, but I didn't read it as a "you told the egg to hatch" thing. Is there anywhere in the lore where it says the queen has that kind of control over the eggs? Based on what we have seen previously, I thought it was more a mechanical reflex whenever organic life got close to the egg.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
She was right to burn the place down. But are we implying that the Queen had control of the moment the egg hatched? I always read the scene as the two reaching detente, and then an egg hatches because that's what eggs do, and Ripley is all like "no, there can never be peace" and burns the place down. I do remember the look she shoots the Queen, but I didn't read it as a "you told the egg to hatch" thing. Is there anywhere in the lore where it says the queen has that kind of control over the eggs? Based on what we have seen previously, I thought it was more a mechanical reflex whenever organic life got close to the egg.
They were just eggy bois doing what eggy bois do.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
You are thinking way too deep into a badass scene as this. Besides these eggs could hatch any moment and the motherfuckers living in them are fast.

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, didn't an egg hatch right near her before she burned everything, implying that they never intended to let her leave?

Edit: Yeah, here's the scene. She basically threatens with the flame thrower, the queen pretends to let her leave, and then at 2:40 an egg hatches, and Ripley burns everything:

This....you dont fuck with Ripley.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It's wasn't necessary to burn the eggs, but when Ripley sees that egg hatching, her mind switches into revenge mode. You can see it in the way she cocks her head subtly. It becomes something she has to do for personal therapy

lake

Oct 27, 2017
I always 100% read it as the Queen trying to sneakily hatch a facehugger and Ripley noticing, retaliating. I didn't know this was ever in doubt.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's wasn't necessary to burn the eggs, but when Ripley sees that egg hatching, her mind switches into revenge mode. You can see it in the way she cocks her head subtly. It becomes something she has to do for personal therapy
That's what I'm saying

It's just a wee bit sadistic.

So how can Ripley be shocked when the Queen gets so hellbent on trying to kill "her baby" after unattaching and chasing after them.

At very least, calling her a "bitch" was uncalled for Ripley. She was just being a momma.

Oct 27, 2017
She was going to leave without doing anything but then he egg hatched. Look at the face Ripley gives the queen after the egg opens - a look of "oh you dirty MFer"