• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
While the Queen probably has no control other eggs hatching, there is absolutely no way the facehugger, those two Xenos the Queen called off, and the Queen herself would have let them live. Ripley was still totally justified

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I always 100% read it as the Queen trying to sneakily hatch a facehugger and Ripley noticing, retaliating. I didn't know this was ever in doubt.
But why risk it if there is a standoff in the first place? She clearly doesnt want the eggs to be hurt and could just kill Ripley after they leave with a sneaky full grown Xenomorph. Why risk the baby facehugger when the flamethrower is right there?

May 26, 2018
That's what I'm saying

It's just a wee bit sadistic.

So how can Ripley be shocked when the Queen gets so hellbent on trying to kill "her baby" after unattaching and chasing after them.

At very least, calling her a "bitch" was uncalled for Ripley. She was just being a momma.

Where exactly is the sympathy here coming from? The Queen abducted Ripley's adopted child so a facehugger could implant the kid with a chestburster. Ripley was pretty fucking reasonable, all things considered.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
But why risk it if there is a standoff in the first place? She clearly doesnt want the eggs to be hurt and could just kill Ripley after they leave with a sneaky full grown Xenomorph. Why risk the baby facehugger when the flamethrower is right there?
Why risk it? Because the Queen was trying to get one over on Ripley by cheating. Why not? Might've worked if Ripley wasn't totally on her game. And I don't think it'd care if it lost a few spawn in the effort, so long as it was successful.

(Replying to a few other comments, I do think it could control the hatchings. Why not?)

What I previously considered the universal interpretation of this scene is by far the most thematically satisfying one, playing up the tense rivalry of the asymmetric (but for that brief moment, seemingly evenly matched) standoff.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That's what I'm saying

It's just a wee bit sadistic.

So how can Ripley be shocked when the Queen gets so hellbent on trying to kill "her baby" after unattaching and chasing after them.

At very least, calling her a "bitch" was uncalled for Ripley. She was just being a momma.
Uhhhhh.

The queens 'baby' would have needed to kill Ripley or Newt.

Ripley is defending herself. She hoped the Queen would let her through, but that didn't happen. It's not 'revenge' or anything like that. One egg could kill either of them in that moment. They all have to go.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
The egg hatched, so Ripley decided while she was down there, she was going to burn away all her nightmares.

Ending of Aliens is her sleeping like a baby. With a new metaphorical child.

You know, till Alien 3 shits all over that. Honestly the worst part of Alien 3 was simply that it followed on from Aliens. I think had it not been Ripley but Fincher directing a totally new set of characters I might have loved it.

I would have almost accepted her dropping into the lava and waking up in her pod with Hicks and Newt standing over her and it was all a dream levels of bullshit to get a real Aliens sequel.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Why risk it? Because the Queen was trying to get one over on Ripley by cheating. Why not? Might've worked if Ripley wasn't totally on her game. And I don't think it'd care if it lost a few spawn in the effort, so long as it was successful.

(Replying to a few other comments, I do think it could control the hatchings. Why not?)

What I previously considered the universal interpretation of this scene is by far the most thematically satisfying one, playing up the tense rivalry of the asymmetric (but for that brief moment, seemingly evenly matched) standoff.
I just never have read the xeno's having that level of sinister intent in their actions. It's better to me that theyre simply unstoppable lifeforms which are terrifying because theyre just that, lifeforms, not evil or conniving, which contrasts so well with their extreme appearance.

May 26, 2018
Ending of Aliens is her sleeping like a baby. With a new metaphorical child.

You know, till Alien 3 shits all over that. Honestly the worst part of Alien 3 was simply that it followed on from Aliens. I think had it not been Ripley but Fincher directing a totally new set of characters I might have loved it.

I would have almost accepted her dropping into the lava and waking up in her pod with Hicks and Newt standing over her and it was all a dream levels of bullshit to get a real Aliens sequel.

To this day Alien 3 is still a giant fustercluck to me. I wish Cameron had stayed on board, he would've been one of the only people with the clout to maintain Alien as a comprehensible series.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Uhhhhh.

The queens 'baby' would have needed to kill Ripley or Newt.

Ripley is defending herself. She hoped the Queen would let her through, but that didn't happen. It's not 'revenge' or anything like that. One egg could kill either of them in that moment. They all have to go.
If youre a momma dog and your puppy jumped on somebody's kid (because that's what puppy's do) so she lit your puppy on fire, wouldnt you be upset?

And then the parent has the audacity of calling you a bitch when you got mad even though that term might be taxonomically appropriate in this instance.

Like I said, uncalled for.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
If youre a momma dog and your puppy jumped on somebody's kid (because that's what puppy's do) so she lit your puppy on fire, wouldnt you be upset?

And then the parent has the audacity of calling you a bitch when you got mad even though that term might be taxonomically appropriate in this instance.

Like I said, uncalled for.
It's not a puppy. It is a face hugger. It will try to kill Ripley or Newt. It stands a good chance of succeeding. A puppy won't. How is that hard to understand?

May 26, 2018
It's not a puppy. It is a face hugger. It will try to kill Ripley or Newt. It stands a good chance of succeeding. A puppy won't. How is that hard to understand?

dude you're toasting in a roll bread, pull out while you still can or you'll be a full baguette

holy shit I just realized how unfortunate that second half sounds if you apply cockney rhyming slang, so just for clarity's sake I mean absolutely nothing secret about it except for toasty bread memes masquerading as a warning about getting trolled

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
tumblr_m1nzwrZdro1qa1o5zo1_1280.png

How can you be so heartless?

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sleep easy at night knowning Newt and Hicks never died and that Alien 3 and the following movies were just Ripley having a bad dream.

Hicks and Ripley getting married and adopting Newt was so sweet.

May 26, 2018
I sleep easy at night knowning Newt and Hicks never died and that Alien 3 and the following movies were just Ripley having a bad dream.

Hicks and Ripley getting married and adopting Newt was so sweet.

And then the xenos invaded Earth and a Weyland-Yutani board room meeting got shanked to hell by shiny black Fruedian monsters... ah, good times.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I remember right the eggs were opening up as she was leaving and facehuggers were about to be chasing her, so she torched the eggs because that's the only way she could safely make her escape.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
What. A. Movie.

if she didn't she might have been chased by a bunch of facehuggers...not made it out.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If I remember right the eggs were opening up as she was leaving and facehuggers were about to be chasing her, so she torched the eggs because that's the only way she could safely make her escape.
Eggs hatch man, you cant blame em for that. Let she who cast a wall of flame at unborn embryos catch these hands the first face hug.

Jul 18, 2018
I want to make an Alien Theme wedding. Have an alien egg in middle of guest tables (as vases) with flowers coming out of kt

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and screw Burke forever. What a snake, with every rewatch of this I get as pissed as I did the first time when he shuts the monitor off. Underappreciated villain in just how sleazy he is without being an overly dramatized mustache twirling misanthrope like most movie villains.
Don't worry, Burke got his if you watched the deleted scene with him and Ripley.

OP
OP
Prolepro

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I want to make an Alien Theme wedding. Have an alien egg in middle of guest tables (as vases) with flowers coming out of kt
And then my fiancees mom who hates me arrives in a loader bot, says "get away from her you bitch" and then throws me into the cold vacuum of space.

Just like I've always dreamed.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, she was completely justified in lighting that shit up. They were going to kill her and the kid. Even if not they're murderous aliens.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
I got the pulse rifle sound in my head now and life is good

brrrrrap brrrrap brrrrrap