• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
The genius about this scene is also in the subtext.
A human mother who has lost her only daughter to space-time is trying to bargain with another mother who birthes thousands of babies, and who seemingly, inevitably will rule across all space, time permits.
Ripley is trying to be a mother again for her new daughter and make up for her inability to save her real one, all the while the Alien Queen also wants to protect her unborn children.
Very easy to see why Cameron added the Queen to the Alien mythology for Aliens and dare I say I'd take the Alien queen any day of the week over "David who hates his creator, paints Giger aliens on DaVince paper and invents the Xenomorph".

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Cause after their little understanding, the Queen started to go back on her word:

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and screw Burke forever. What a snake, with every rewatch of this I get as pissed as I did the first time when he shuts the monitor off. Underappreciated villain in just how sleazy he is without being an overly dramatized mustache twirling misanthrope like most movie villains.
My dad has hated Paul Reiser since the 80s specifically because of this movie.

Apoplectoad

Mar 15, 2019
Normally I'm not cool with the careless destruction of eggs, but in the case of facehugging xenomorphs, I think her reaction was totally appropriate.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say that there is reason to believe that the Queen can control the eggs/facehuggers. I mean, Ripley demonstrated the flamethrower and then pointed it at an egg. That was a threat. Ripley was taking hostages. And the Queen understood enough to recognize that, so the Xenomorphs who were gathering backed off a little. How did the Xenomorphs know to back off? The Queen must have communicated/ordered it, somehow (maybe even through telepathy). It's entirely possible that the Queen was not going to let the hostage-taking stand. That she was never going to let Ripley go free. That she had the larger Xenomorphs step back a little, while she sneakily released the safety on one of her smaller weapons and prepared to ambush Ripley.

Either that, or, it's like an army standoff where the situation is precarious until one idiot decides to shoot, and now both sides are thrown into war. If that facehugger had just kept it's guard up and stayed in it's shell, perhaps Ripley would have left quietly without causing a scene. But that facehugger just had to go and play Leeroy Jenkins.

Regardless, the egg opening was a provocative move and was clearly the trigger that made Ripley say "Nope."

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think acid blooded penis monsters deserve sympathy.

Don't bring the GOP into this.

Back on topic, Ripley in that moment is the greatest action hero in pretty much all of cinema...

In one arm she's carrying her surrogate daughter, who she's just rescued from a massive alien queen whose stood right fucking there. In the other she's sporting a homebrewed flamethrowing-grenade-launching-assault-rifle. And rather than panicking at this turn of events she's calmly facing down the killing machine, all while stood at ground zero of an imminent nuclear explosion.

Name me a more high-stakes badass hero moment than that.

Oh and as for the eggs, I'll take 'em napalm side up.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see how queen controlled that or willed it to happen or why she would even do that in the first place if preservation was her priority.

She can nonverbally control the drones, as evidenced when they all clear out of Ripley's path right before. That's film logic, its suggested she can also do that with eggs

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
I love how smart this entire scene is. A shitload of knife edge tension. Not a word spoken. Looks and head tilts say all you need to say, from one mother to another. A fascinating insight into the hive mind too.

Just fucking amazing all round.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I just assumed the egg opened because a potential host was nearby and inadvertently blew the detente.

Oct 25, 2017
The genius about this scene is also in the subtext.
A human mother who has lost her only daughter to space-time is trying to bargain with another mother who birthes thousands of babies, and who seemingly, inevitably will rule across all space, time permits.
Ripley is trying to be a mother again for her new daughter and make up for her inability to save her real one, all the while the Alien Queen also wants to protect her unborn children.
Very easy to see why Cameron added the Queen to the Alien mythology for Aliens and dare I say I'd take the Alien queen any day of the week over "David who hates his creator, paints Giger aliens on DaVince paper and invents the Xenomorph".
Egg Morphing is still better than both.

As for dealing with the eggs.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bet if Aliens existed there would be some dumbasses like the nerds who want to birth botflies that would protect them

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
OP gonna be the first one dead at Area 51 playing with a cuddly baby alien

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the special effects in this film are still so amazing. I don't think CGI will ever be as convincing as good practical effects.
The long shot of the Queen's egg-butt looks a bit theatrical, and the Xenomorphs definitely have some dudes-in-suits action going on here. But the close-ups of the Queen are still just fucking amazing.

And ropey practical effects are more charming to look at than ropey CGI, anyway