• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Quick Disclaimer: No I wasn't clubbing back in the 80s, nor did I even exist. This is 100% my parents music, but I do have a fondness for the style cause nothing stopped em from listening to the genre while raising me.
So yeah, the question is simple. I'm a huge metalhead, listen to everything under the sun in that genre when at work, walking around town or just hangimg out with my friends. But I dunno, when it comes to just listening to music to chill at home, there just is this je ne sais pa with it. The slow and steady rythym, the paatiche romantic lyrics, the unexpected lows and highs that are the undeniable predecessor to the overhyped "bass drop", it just works. It doesn't even fit into what you would call 80s music, you can easily argue that its timeless, even if you do habe to ignore the extremely 80s music videos. If you can't answer cause you haven't heard anything, educate yourself:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Nuyorican I grew up on this and... I fucking hate it.

Cept for that 1 Lisa Lisa song.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

If this song came out during a family party 10-year old me knew I wasn't going home until midnight :(

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I would say that the easiest listening material for laying back and chilling is ambient since that's literally what it was designed for.

I'm not really familiar with Freestyle but the examples in the OP don't sound timeless to my ears at all. It's extremely 80's.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I don't miss this music, lol.

ah Latin Freestyle is what they call it. I see its late 80s influences on the 90s, but most of those did not stick around.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nah...some laid back jazz like Kind of Blue or man, you want something really laid back, you just toss on this set of recordings (full album is on Youtube):

It's like you're just sitting there with a green tea and a joint and just floating away.

OP
OP
Rand a. Thor

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It was an offshoot of 80's electro/R&B/hip hop (these 3 were very interchangeable and frequently overlapped in the 80's) that primarily caught on with Latin American demographics.
Italian Americans and Greek Americans too. 80s/90s had a crazy overlap between these demographics in the clubbing scene from what older siblings tell me, and pop culture in general can be a shared talking point between us.

If this song came out during a family party 10-year old me knew I wasn't going home until midnight :(

This and anything by Cynthia. If cynthia came on you'd wake up the next morning without any recollection of your parents taking you home late into the night or even falling asleep after a certain time.
How you not gonna list the best example and the song that pioneered freestyle as a genre?

I was more focusing on the popular stuff, but you're right I should have given some backstory for the unaware.
Oh I like 80's music, guess I'll add some songs to my playlist... thanks!
Huh. This is pretty great. Never listened to it before, thanks OP
No problem, happy to spread the word for those who may like it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this is different and better. This is the energy they were trying to get to, but didn't quite do it.
It's definitely freestyle and I agree it's better, but that's because I think it's the best freestyle song and why it pioneered the genre.

Another freestyle favorite that's still great is Starpoint's Object of my Desire.

Last edited: