• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
The crown is way smaller than Toadettes head.

So my theory is her head is extremely squishy, and by applying the crown through pressure, the entire body mass of the head is forced downwards into the main body, forcing it into a peach-like shape. Remove the crown and everything painfully snaps back into place.

Deleted member 46641

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 12, 2018
So the Mushroom kingdom is mostly toads, but is ruled over by the few humans there... (see also: Super Mario bros 3's royalty)

And to gain more power and status, Toadette has to assume the role of a human...

Given Super Mario Odyssey confirms there are kingdoms that are majority-human, it's safe to assume the Mushroom kingdom was colonised and ruled by a dynasty of humans that originated from elsewhere.

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
To everyone bringing up baby peach, she's never appeared in a mainline Mario game to my knowledge and should therefore be considered non-canon. Especially considering the simultaneous existence of baby Peach and baby Rosalina goes against lore in Mario Galaxy where Rosalina is at least a hundred years older than Peach, and as Mario Galaxy is a mainline game it takes priority.

You find this surprising but not the simultaneous inclusion of, say, Mario and Baby Mario, who are the same person at different ages? The answer is clearly time travel.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, but she'll be in the front of the line for MK8D's DLC picks, given their prior roster selections

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo not content with standard gender stereotypes... say hello to next gen Queen-Princess Peachettel-eena-tereesa

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so Toad and Toadette have been paired a couple of times for the lulz.

Is Peach dating Toad, and if so, is she leading both Mario and Bowser on???

If beating Super Mario Run with Toadette is any indication, Peach is actually dating her!

CDFuqQT_d.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Peachette isn't the same thing as Peach, they are clearly two separate beings. It's some sort of previously unobserved mimicry that certain toads must posses.

Hollywood Pescado

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Mar 9, 2018
They should have just abandoned the kidnap story. It's getting old. It got old. Make the real Peach playable but with the new dress.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
So if Toad put on the crown do they become humanoid like Mario or Human like New Donk City Citizens.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Peach is a mushroom

I mean, it was under our noses this entire time
She IS the ruler of the Mushroom Kingdom. I mean, her surname name was Toadstool. We never heard anything about Peach being a foreigner to her own lands.

The fact that she transformed isn't even revolutionary, Tranformation via items had been part of the game mechanics since Super Mario Bros.

I love lore that makes sense.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It gets even stranger when one looks at the original image of Princess Peach:

tumblr_pf0se8Xy361qadgwco3_1280.png

Was the answer in front of us all along?

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The crown is way smaller than Toadettes head.

So my theory is her head is extremely squishy, and by applying the crown through pressure, the entire body mass of the head is forced downwards into the main body, forcing it into a peach-like shape. Remove the crown and everything painfully snaps back into place.
Gosh that has to hurt >< imagine the tissue damage when she gets older and skin loses its elasticity... People could trip over a poodle of ... Errr... Whatever that is.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
This just seems silly. A playable Peach and a separate Toadette...would've been fine. None of this funny business.

Also, we need a sequel to Super Princess Peach.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ERRR.

Have we mentioned that Peachette has Daisy's two step jump? Does this make Daisy a Toad in disguise too?

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, now that I have read the comments from other parts of the internet, I am actually horrified at something else entirely.

Namely, there are alleged fans out there who genuinely don't consider the Toad race as people.

Those who couldn't accept the possibility that Peach is herself a Toad, are also implying that Toads are inferior to humans. That they somehow think Peach is being diminished in some way, just because she shares the same linage as her subjects.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Actually, now that I have read the comments from other parts of the internet, I am actually horrified at something else entirely.

Namely, there are alleged fans out there who genuinely don't consider the Toad race as people.

Those who couldn't accept the possibility that Peach is herself a Toad, are also implying that Toads are inferior to humans. That they somehow think Peach is being diminished in some way, just because she shares the same linage as her subjects.
Well they aren't so much people as they are person. It's one networked organic mass

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
If a Toad lives long enough it matures into its final adult form, which are the weird humanoids that Mario, Luigi and Peach are.

This is why they are distinct from New Donk City humans.

You will notice not many Toads live that long. Mario and his brother are allowed a greater quality of life through their connections with the royal family, so they were able to reach their peak form. It is not at all dissimilar from Metroids, where we can count the number of fully evolved specimens on one hand.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Well they are fungi which is connected to each other through mycelium...
And no Toads aren't people, the same way as intelligent aliens wouldn't be people either

Btw if Mario eats the mushrooms.. does that mean he eats baby Peaches?

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well they are fungi which is connected to each other through mycelium...
And no Toads aren't people, the same way as intelligent aliens wouldn't be people either

Btw if Mario eats the mushrooms.. does that mean he eats baby Peaches?
Toadstool race are related to mushrooms, but that doesn't make mushrooms in general babies. Saying they are both fungi is like saying an ant and an elephant are the same because they are both animals.

Fungi is a HUGE family, considered a separate class from plants and animals.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Crown grants you one wish. Toadette wished to be Peach.

I guess.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
A lame excuse to reuse Peach model but not make her playable.

Seriously Nintendo what the hell? I would have loved to play as Peach and not some freak shroom. ¬_¬
Tbh her face and body shape it's the only thing that's the same. The dress, hair and shoes are different, and I actually find the design much cuter than Peach's usual clothes.
I would have preferred if they also changed the face to look more like Toadette, but it's not like I'm buying it either way.

Edit:
Actually, isn't this just SM64 DS again?

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
This is the most correct theory

I've settled on this as well. Peach is a Toad. Toads are a eusocial hive species like bees, in which a single, dominant female will metamorphose into a queen form, which appears roughly humanoid. Toadette has all along been heir, and so when the current queen, Peach, has been absent long enough, Toadette is able to expose herself to the pheromones contained in the crown and begin her metamorphosis into the new queen.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I've settled on this as well. Peach is a Toad. Toads are a eusocial hive species like bees, in which a single, dominant female will metamorphose into a queen form, which appears roughly humanoid. Toadette has all along been heir, and so when the current queen, Peach, has been absent long enough, Toadette is able to expose herself to the pheromones contained in the crown and begin her metamorphosis into the new queen.

Does that mean every Toad in the Kingdom is Peach's brood? Does she lay clutches of Toad eggs in a dedicated breeding area in her castle?

Are the consumable mushrooms Mario finds on his adventures unfertilized eggs stolen by Bowser's soldiers? Are Goombas Uruk-ai esque abominations of the Toad form created by Kamek? Do Yoshis form eggs around their prey so their fetal young can feed on their unconscious bodies, like tarantula wasps? Is Smithy's Gang fallen angels or interstellar alien Invaders? WHY IS THE GREEN TWOMP LOCKED UP? WHAT IS HE HIDING?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Meh. You're all forgetting that in SMB1 the first seven castles were guarded by fake Bowsers, regular minions that were turned into Bowser copies. They revert back when killed with fireballs and the stronger the minion the more of Bowser's abilities the fake had. Also the aforementioned fake Daisys in SML1. Transforming into copies of kings and queens is a standard thing in the Mario world, this doesn't make Toadette and Peach related just like Bowser and a goomba aren't related. Also powerups are known to transform the user, not just put new clothes on them.

On the game design front I won't use the word lazy because it's still roughly the same workload for the developers but it's a boring, super conservative concept. Peach styled differently. Woo hoo. This is less interesting than the Broodals. I get that they don't want to give a character extra powers without a powerup (outside of cheat mode Nabbit) so they didn't want regular Peach but they could just have made a new character or at least given transformed Toadette a design that's not just an existing character.

I mean, hell, why not have her turn into Rabbid Peach instead?

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
I remember back in the day when NSMBWii came out and people were like "where's Peach?", Miyamoto in an interview said he believed players would expect Peach to have her floating ability in the game and they didn't want to do that. I always thought of that excuse as weak but they seem to have thought it would've been a bad idea to put peach in with generic Mario physics for some reason?

Peachette is probably an extension of that. With Peachette there's no expectation for her to have a floating ability.

they show her floating in the trailer

Actually, Peachette doesn't "float" like Peach. Peachette can double jump and slow fall, but she can't stay suspended in the air like Peach does for her jumps. So I think it's technically still consistent with the interview, though Peachette is REALLY straddling the line.