• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, I don't understand it. I was thinking it would end up being around 25-30 GB. But it's absolutely insane that it's only 15 GB when something like KOF XIV is 22 GB. Someone please educate me on how this is possible. Just really insanely good compression, I'm guessing?

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
silicon15_02.jpg

Blackquill

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To stay a little bit on the topic, Dragon Ball FighterZ is a little bit in the same boat, only 5Go is sorcery

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
As I understand it (and have seen it explained) modern game file sizes are super bloated by poor to nonexistant file compression. Audio files, video files, and textures all take up monumentally more space when not properly compressed.

Another thing that may help is that almost none of MHW's cutscenes appear to be prerendered videos, instead being done in-engine (a necessity in some cases to account for your created character's appearance). Prerendered cutscenes take up a lot of space compared to rendering said scenes in-engine in real time.

I could be off on all of this, I'm not a programmer, just parroting what I've heard from others that makes sense to me.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
often VA/cutscenes and multiplicity of assets is at fault for giant games. Its not that surprising this one's small.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's great when developers keep for sizes down.

Deck 13 got the surge down to 6gb and that's a fantastic looking game with a lot of vo.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The two Tomb Raider games have been under 20 gigs as well, while some fighting games have been over 30 gigs. Not sure where the disparity is given the wide genre/content range.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Dragonball FighterZ being 4+GB raised my eyebrows.

Hats off to these guys in a world where the COD4 remaster is taking up about 75+GB on my HDD.

I don't know that Monster Hunter would have a massive footprint though. So much of the ganeplay grinding and although there are a ton of quests, there usually aren't a ton of arenas. So much of the gameplay loop consists of doing several of the same quests over and over for rare drops. So even tho it feels like there is a ton of content, it's really not; just very grindy. I love the series but there are always only a handful of arenas and, especially in G versions, a good never of monsters. It makes sense to me that the game, as it's designed, doesn't have a huge footprint.

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Lots of re-used assets, including re-using animations and skeletons for lots of monsters, such as the wyverns. Small amounts of voice-acting and poor graphics might also have a hand as well. I would like to think they actually compressed the game too, which would definitely help.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Good compression?

Seriously, that is a huge understated value these days with a lot of games being super bloated in size.

Also, unless im mistaken, Monster Hunter world does not have a ton of dialogue right? High quality audio files in multiple languages can take up a sizeable chunk of data too.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Just good art direction, good compression, good engine and assets not that big/detailed.

No magic there.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's the 2 minute pre loading time of every quest before the 2 minute real loading time

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Been wondering this myself. The textures are really low res all around (to the point where I thought there was a streaming issue). That certainly helps. Gotta be more to it than that though.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Would love Capcom to make a 4k textures download available for 1X users. Loving it in resolution mode but the textures could do with going up also.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thos saying "compression" don't seem to realise that every single game is compressed as well. It's not something exclusive to one company.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lower res texture than usual, repeated asset, lack of voiceover, and lack of CG. It looks great but the lower textures are noticeable, they try to hide with repeating a lot asset so it looks busy ala Bloodborne which is a low size game itself iirc.