• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
NBA is definitely the most entertaining off-season

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this was a no-brainer move for the Rockets. They not only get rid of Paul who was old and not getting along with Harden, but they pick up a superstar player in Russ who has history with Harden.

Given the circumstances, I can't see a situation turning out better for them. Getting out of the Paul contract for a guy who was 34 is a coup.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Phew, Houston just saved Miami from Russ. Sam Presti got 12 draft assets in a week. God damn!

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think this was a no-brainer move for the Rockets. They not only get rid of Paul who was old and not getting along with Harden, but they pick up a superstar player in Russ who has history with Harden.

Given the circumstances, I can't see a situation turning out better for them.

They're going to wish they had those picks back when they get bounced in the 1st round instead of 2nd round completing the a 3 year regression

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're going to wish they had those picks back when they get bounced in the 1st round instead of 2nd round completing the a 3 year regression

You have Harden right now, when you have a superstar, you have to go for it, hoarding a bunch of picks that might play for 5-6 years down the line isn't going to help you that much.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
This is crazy. I didn't get a Woj bomb on my phone, and thought my co-worker was joking when he said Russ to Houston.

What is fuckery ball, WHAT THE FUCK

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MvH9PBQ.gif
Thx!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
He isn't great but his contract isn't near as bad as Paul's.

I would take Paul for the next 3 years over Wiggins for the next 4 (at the money each are making) every day of the week. Paul is on a clear decline but he's a better player, and it's not really close. Andrew Wiggins is a fucking scrub.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
Could OKC buy Paul out for $50 million or something stupid? Are they allowed to stretch a buyout over 2 seasons of salary cap. Buying him out, even at a crazy figure might make more sense for them. Lebron can just pay him $20 million to appear in Space Jam 2.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this makes
It's not about them paying the tax. Paul George blindsided them with a trade demand and Westbrook didn't want to play for a lottery team so they had to trade him too.

Kawhi did the Thunder a favor.

They were a stupidly expense first round exit team. Ownership wanted to cut salary, but felt public pressure to compete as they had 2 'stars'

Now they can save themselves a ton of money and get a lot of assets to hopefully rebuild to an actual potential championship roster.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they made their decision way back when they traded Harden in the first place instead of just giving him a max contract and keeping that young finals team together. They didn't even wait to see if he would have took less than the max, iirc. That was such an exciting team.

They didn't even need to max harden, which is crazy in hindsight. The difference between hardens circle and the Thunder was something like 4 million. OKC ownership just didn't want to go into the luxury tax paying that.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
So many teams can at least contend this year though. Its a fucking dream come true.

Kawhi isn't particularly a favorite player of mine. But the man is at least 50% responsible for the most parity we have seen in a long ass fucking time. This season is gonna be pretty fucking crazy. There's no way to say who will win it this year honestly.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Could OKC buy Paul out for $50 million or something stupid? Are they allowed to stretch a buyout over 2 seasons of salary cap. Buying him out, even at a crazy figure might make more sense for them. Lebron can just pay him $20 million to appear in Space Jam 2.

OKC is in no rush. They are in a clear rebuild. Why stretch Paul and extend his cap hit 6-9 years down the line?

CP3 is the one that would want a buyout, but if you are 34 years old and probably never seeing another big pay day again, are you settling for $50 million of your $120 million left on your deal?

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Morey! Why did you have to do this man? Not only did you inherit a worse contract, but also possibly killed the chemistry of a team that was a championship contender. This reeks of desperation after getting shown up by Pat Riley. And finally, you are making me cheer for a team that now has Westbrick on it. Fuck you Morey. Yes, I'm pissed.

Oct 31, 2017
They didn't even need to max harden, which is crazy in hindsight. The difference between hardens circle and the Thunder was something like 4 million. OKC ownership just didn't want to go into the luxury tax paying that.

That was the most cheapest and ridiculous move I can remember in recent NBA history. And it really skeeves me out when franchises don't keep finals teams together.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this makes

Kawhi did the Thunder a favor.

They were a stupidly expense first round exit team. Ownership wanted to cut salary, but felt public pressure to compete as they had 2 'stars'

Now they can save themselves a ton of money and get a lot of assets to hopefully rebuild to an actual potential championship roster.
Are OKC fans gonna trust the process?

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Morey really has some big balls.

As a Rockets fan, not sure how it's going to work out, but it should be fun to watch it succeed or fail miserably.

ISO ball v3.0 incoming. Looking forward to a lot of dribbling and bad rushed shots next season. Should be fun watching the collective nba fans hate the Rockets even more.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
There's a limit to the amount of salary you're allowed to stretch and CP3 makes well above it.

Oct 26, 2017

Given the circumstances, I can't see a situation turning out better for them. Getting out of the Paul contract for a guy who was 34 is a coup.

No-brainer is too early to say. Let's just wait until we see how Harden and Westbrook's games mesh (if they mesh at all). The problem is that you have two iso-heavy guards, with the risk of Westbrook's shooting being worse and his knees having gone through so many surgeries is a legit concern. At least Westbrook can get you more assists, especially when you have a guy like Clint Capela and PJ Tucker that he can feed (better than teammates in OKC save for Paul George). But the scoring is what is concerning.

Westbrook better get used to not averaging triple doubles, and expanding his game further.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is the first former MVP the Rockets have acquired since Charles Barkley. That worked out well...

Charles played his ass off and sacrificed his touches to make the team better. If it were not for Malone grabbing, with both hands mind you, Barkley on that Stockton 3....I have a feeling we would have been playing Mike in the finals. And I'm not even going to talk about that fucking bum Pippen.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No-brainer is too early to say. Let's just wait until we see how Harden and Westbrook's games mesh (if they mesh at all). The problem is that you have two iso-heavy guards, with the risk of Westbrook's shooting being worse and his knees having gone through so many surgeries is a legit concern. At least Westbrook can get you more assists, especially when you have a guy like Clint Capela and PJ Tucker that he can feed (better than teammates in OKC save for Paul George). But the scoring is what is concerning.

Westbrook better get used to not averaging triple doubles, and expanding his game further.

Given the situation, given how hard it would be to move Paul, given that Harden and Westbrook are former teammates ... you have to do this deal if its on the table.

You're not getting anyone better back, while still maintaining a window in which you can go for it.

I'm pretty sure they talked to Harden before doing this.

There was no way Houston at this point was getting any kind of better situation than this.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Given the situation, given how hard it would be to move Paul, given that Harden and Westbrook are former teammates ... you have to do this deal if its on the table.

You're not getting anyone better back, while still maintaining a window in which you can go for it.

I'm pretty sure they talked to Harden before doing this.

There was no way Houston at this point was getting any kind of better situation than this.

They're in the exact same situation this season they were before trading Paul. In fact, arguably worse.

Except with this trade they paid a million first round picks for the privilege of slightly remodeling their hamster wheel.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Charles played his ass off and sacrificed his touches to make the team better. If it were not for Malone grabbing, with both hands mind you, Barkley on that Stockton 3....I have a feeling we would have been playing Mike in the finals. And I'm not even going to talk about that fucking bum Pippen.
lol I remember Pippen's brief stint in Houston. That was the weirdest thing...

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious how much Kawhi totally flipped the Western Conference. Goes to Clipperland and engineers a deal to bring George there with him, then that forces OKC to deal Westbrook to team with Harden in Houston, lol.

Oct 26, 2017
It's hilarious how much Kawhi totally flipped the Western Conference. Goes to Clipperland and engineers a deal to bring George there with him, then that forces OKC to deal Westbrook to team with Harden in Houston, lol.

Idt it's forced. I think OKC realized, "wait, why the hell are we paying luxury tax penalties for a team whose ceiling appears to be maxed at 1st round exit?", and realized that it was time to move on and consider rebuilding.

Especially considering they had all the leverage in the world when PG13 wanted out. Keep in mind, there were tons of reports saying that ownership wanted to stop paying taxes.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're in the exact same situation this season they were before trading Paul. In fact, arguably worse.

Except with this trade they paid a million first round picks for the privilege of slightly remodeling their hamster wheel.

You might as well trade Harden if that was the mindset then because he was gonna want out sooner than later in the existing scenario.

By pulling this off, they get rid of the Paul problem and his aging ass contract for a better player who's younger and a legit MVP type talent.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, sharing the basketball and all that ... but there's 100-110 points to go around each night, they can both get theirs especially in a D'Antoni run n' gun offence.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
You might as well trade Harden if that was the mindset then because he was gonna want out sooner than later in the existing scenario.

By pulling this off, they get rid of the Paul problem and his aging ass contract for a better player who's younger and a legit MVP type talent.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, sharing the basketball and all that ... but there's 100-110 points to go around each night, they can both get theirs especially in a D'Antoni run n' gun offence.

Based on his recent play, Westbrook is absolutely NOT a "legit MVP type talent". His shooting and efficiency are horrendous. His defense is nonexistent. He's He can't play off the ball, and is going to an offense that revolves around James Harden playing ISO. He's probably at the start of a decline, on the wrong side of 30, and is a guy that relies heavily on his athleticism and physical ability. This was a desperation move, not some clear upgrade.

You don't have to trade Harden. You could maybe try and move Paul + filler to a team looking for a "star" player to try and get some flexibility and pieces around Harden that work better with his style of play. Not an easy feat, no doubt, but better than Morey's desperate attempt to just add any superstar that he can find.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

They might as well have traded Harden, that would have been better than what they just did.

Absolutely hate this move for the Rockets. Absolutely hate it. It's terrible. That team is going nowhere and they now have nothing to look forward to years down the line.