• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's an article describing the new gameplay and it looks pretty bad.
"An article"? Do you have a link? I had to break your post up and address all of these things individually.

False
and there's a new mechanic called Reversal Edge (used with R1) which basically acts like a shifumi battle in slow motion. Priority is the following : Horizontal attack > Kick > Vertical attack > Horizontal attack.
There are multiple A, B, and K moves that you can use. I have seen some verticals lose to kicks, and then win against them at other times. We don't know if it's on a case by case basis or if it's related to the timing of when the attack is pressed. Nevertheless, there is nuance in the decision making and outcome of the Reversal Edge slow motion game.
If you win at it its another 3 free hits.
"Winning" could grant you a knockback, frame advantage, or put you seemingly at neutral. I've seen follow-ups blocked on multiple occassions.
Doesn't consume any gauge whatsoever
It consumes the guard gauge.
You can dodge the Reversal Edge with any sidestep or a backdash but apparently if you re doing so with a sidestep, the Reversal Edge user will still be able to keep attacking
You can sidestep, backdash, and forward dash during the Reveral Edge slow motion, with each dodging certain types of attacks. Doing so will end the slow motion, and although the person who was dodged can still attack, you are now at frame advantage because you dodged and can punish accordingly. Also, during the Reversal Edge slow motion you can also block and Guard Impact. And all of this is contingent on you getting hit by the Reversal Edge attack in the first place, which is slow, can be sidestepped, blocked, interupted with a normal attack, or blown up at any time, even during the parry portion, with a break attack or a Critical Edge.
If two players are using it at the same time, they re just pushing each other away ...
I'm not sure what you meant here? If you mean the players select the same attack option during the slow motion, they clash and re-select. We don't know if this will happen more than once yet.
They kept the lethal hit (breaking armor)
Lethal hit is a new mechanic that causes unique combo states. It also breaks armor, but we don't know exactly how it functions other than it's tied to multiple moves and doesn't happen every time these moves are used. Additionally, you can deliver a lethal hit to an opponent in the same section after the armor has been broken, so it's not just about breaking armor.
They also kept the soul charge.
There's a new mechanic called Soul Charge, but the way it functions is all new. It's like a hybrid of the old Soul Charge and Max mode from KOF in that you gain access to new and enhanced moves and it also allows you to deal chip damage. On the other hand, it costs one bar of meter, something the old Soul Charge didn't need to do as it was free. We still don't know much about this powerup state, like whether or not you can cancel into it at any time, such as during combos. Either way. it's definitely not just the old Soul Charge. Not that Soul Charge was ever a bad thing...?

True
There are basic combos in multiple directions when you re hitting the same button (3x square here)
This has been in every Soul series game. And every Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Dead or Alive game. Not sure what the issue is.
[they kept] the ring out
This has been in every Soul series game. And every Virtua Fighter game. Not sure what the issue is.
you can charge the special bar with whiffs.
This is true but it's a tiny amount and due to how fast the movement is in SoulCalibur VI and how much slower the fastest attacks are compared to something like Third Strike, no one will be able to sit a full screen away and whiff attacks to build meter.
Also the critical edge is a one button thing now.
Doesn't seem to hurt Tekken to map supers to a macro.
and finally the guard impact can counter ALL the attacks now (up mid and low)
This is seemingly true, and if so it's the one thing that is actually concerning.

Keep in mind, all of these things are from a first showing at a press event. We'll see how the final mechanics shake out after it makes the rounds at tournaments and hopefully a beta or two.
Apparently they re making it really accessible, mind games be damned
lol

Last edited:

Sygma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sure thing, but its in french

http://www.jeuxactu.com/soul-calibu...tm_medium=bpush&utm_campaign=bpush_nid_112038

There's a new mechanic called Soul Charge, but the way it functions is all new. It's like a hybrid of the old Soul Charge and Max mode from KOF in that you gain access to new and enhanced moves and it also allows you to deal chip damage. On the other hand, it costs one bar of meter, something the old Soul Charge didn't need to do as it was free. We still don't know much about this powerup state, like whether or not you can cancel into it at any time, such as during combos. Either way. it's definitely not just the old Soul Charge. Not that Soul Charge was ever a bad thing...?

Its R2 + backward in that case apparently

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of those complaints sound like they come from somebody who hasn't spent much time with a 3D fighter, and none at all with the franchise.

Sygma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of those complaints sound like they come from somebody who hasn't spent much time with a 3D fighter, and none at all with the franchise.

Speaking of, some stuff I've overlooked from the article :

- Reversal Edge has an invul frame when you're using it

You can be punished by using a sidestep if the reversal edge user follows up with a horizontal attack

- Armor degradation comes from blocking too much and you won't recover the broken parts between rounds.

Lethal hits being the key to break the armor / deal massive damage on exposed parts

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of, some stuff I've overlooked from the article :

- Reversal Edge has an invul frame when you're using it

You can be punished by using a sidestep if the reversal edge user follows up with a horizontal attack

- Armor degradation comes from blocking too much and you won't recover the broken parts between rounds.

Lethal hits being the key to break the armor / deal massive damage on exposed parts

You can beat reversal edge with break attacks. They do very little damage on the first hit and only go into the RPS game, so there are few scenarios where I'd use that and risk a break attack over using the GI which now covers all levels (something I hate, personally).

Armor degradation sounds the same way it has since SC4. I'll wait for more info on the "take more damage to exposed parts." Hasn't been mentioned anywhere else.

Vlaphor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
In terms of guest characters, I've said this before in a different thread and I'll say it again. Namco Bandai also made games for the Queen's Blade franchise, and those characters would fit just fine in the Soul Calibur world.

I'm thinking....Cattleya.

Big Tent Expat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can beat reversal edge with break attacks. They do very little damage on the first hit and only go into the RPS game, so there are few scenarios where I'd use that and risk a break attack over using the GI which now covers all levels (something I hate, personally).

Armor degradation sounds the same way it has since SC4. I'll wait for more info on the "take more damage to exposed parts." Hasn't been mentioned anywhere else.
Even if it was like SC4, at worst, it's like an extra 1 point or 2 of damage per hit.

Playsage

Oct 25, 2017
It seemed to me like Reversal Edge basically puts the players in a sort of slowmotion neutral situation rather than a RPS guessing game

I don't see the difference
Well, yeah...

What I meant was that it seemed like you had way more options, including movement, rather than the A > K > B >A thing that was posted before

Not sure on what does the one who connects it get as a reward for winning the slow-mo over the opponent...

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seemed to me like Reversal Edge basically puts the players in a sort of slowmotion neutral situation rather than a RPS guessing game

I mean...it's both. You go into the slow mo, you both press a button, and each button can be beaten by another. The difference, I guess, is that there appear to be more than 3 options.

Last edited:

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
That character number seems ridiculous.

To get to that number pretty much everyone relevant throughout the series is in the game

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Was discussing the other day, Geralt would make a lot of sense. Apparently the author doesn't have a say in game stuff and Witcher 3 is on Xbox, PS4, and PC. As cool as 2B would be. Third party characters seem to always be those available on all consoles. I think it's partly why Kiryu didn't make it into Tekken 7, despite being highly requested.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Also surprised no one has made a character roster and speculation thread to have a general SC6 thread

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
My friend is currently spying through the window of Namco's offices.

69 characters. Popuko and Pipimi as guest character. That's all I got.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Was discussing the other day, Geralt would make a lot of sense. Apparently the author doesn't have a say in game stuff and Witcher 3 is on Xbox, PS4, and PC. As cool as 2B would be. Third party characters seem to always be those available on all consoles. I think it's partly why Kiryu didn't make it into Tekken 7, despite being highly requested.
I never understood the reasoning for 2B. Yes she's a popular character but the NieR franchise gas recently only been associated with PlayStation. So 2B never made sense to me for Xbox players. And Soulcalibur hasn't done the console exclusive character things since SC2.

Geralt I can definitely see happening. And people will most definitely flock to the game if they see him.
Also surprised no one has made a character roster and speculation thread to have a general SC6 thread
Actually I almost did yesterday LOL! I was planning it out and everything.

But I thought it would die out immediately.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
For the sake of semantics I'll post the message I just got.

"I haven't seen him being played yet, but he appears a few times in the museum part as description of character, so I imagine he is in there."

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

But Kratos in MK, Cole and cats in SFxT etc

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even care about The Witcher series but dude would look cool in a SC game.

Not that I believe it yet but still.

RoseLuck

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I'm really glad they kept Ivy as her true self, I'm greatly looking forward to this.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm working on a Character discussion thread atm. Once i'm done we'll move discussion there rather than sitting in an old thread.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I almost did yesterday LOL! I was planning it out and everything.

But I thought it would die out immediately.

These threads always have dry periods between new info but as we get closer to release there will be much more to talk about especially if Namco brings the game to tournaments and we get lots of match footage

Edit: Jawmuncher is making one cool

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Geralt kinda makes sense. The last guest characters I remember were Ezio and Star Wars, both of which are Western IPs.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm working on a Character discussion thread atm. Once i'm done we'll move discussion there rather than sitting in an old thread.
Nice! Thank you!
To be fair, I'm now regretting saying anything. I've given what evidence I have to an admin. That's about all I can do.
Honestly I just really want confirmation of Siegfried being a playable character so I really hope he's part if the 39 that you mentioned!