• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
James Gunn intentionally left his tweets up and I completely understand why. But he should be a lesson to everyone to go into full coverup mode.

Huh? Pretty sure he didn't. He wasn't called out for the tweets until this recent thing, then he deleted them. Way back, he was called out for the homophobia on his blog, which he deleted at the time.

But yeah, other high profile figures, especially if they want to talk politics, have erased their older stuff. To my knowledge, Hart doesn't dig into all that, so he didn't think he'd be a target?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how a full on bit from a famous comedian's stand up special counts as "surfaces". These weren't made in some dingy chuckle hut off the LA expressway.
Yeah, "surfaced" is a weird way to phrase it. That's like saying a Dave Chappelle quote has surfaced and pulling from Chappelle's Show.
Honestly surprised it is only resurfacing now. More surprised after what's happened in the past couple of years, celebs havnt deleted their horrible posts.

Do people spend their days just digging up old tweets lol
People probably started digging through his tweets after the Oscar stuff. Deleting this stuff requires Celebs to reemember, care, and believe they could get in trouble for it.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
How does something surface when it was in a publicly released stand up? This isn't new.

Kevin Hart been a big star for a long time now, why is this now a problem when it wasn't before?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I would've thought that after James Gunn every single edge-lord comedian would be deleting their tweets...
Funny thing is that James Gunn's tweets were edgy, sadly, Kevin Hart's tweets weren't edgy at all in 2010. Thankfully our culture has changed were a comedian wouldn't dare say this shit publicly in 2018 where in 2010 they'd have no problem saying it.

Nov 8, 2017
This reminds me of the Bernie Mac standup skit where Bernie called his gay nephew the "f" word. I feel like comedians were a little late with the gay bashing for laughs. Many of them went well into the 2000's with that garbage.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird way to frame your argument, if instead of moving 5 years forward, you went 5 years backwards only Massachusetts had legalized gay marriage. When I started high school talking about gay marriage was still taboo and that was around 2005/2006.
Ok well the farther back you go the worse it'll be, that seems fairly obvious. If we want to be real there is a serious issue with homophobia in the black community and that is the main reason Hart and Chapelle got away with jokes like these. Now that doesn't mean every other community is perfect in this regard it's just much more prevalent.

mjp2417

Nov 2, 2017
The idea that 2010 was some benighted dark age is ahistorical nonsense. If you were still openly homophobic in 2010 you weren't just a product of your culture, you were a homophobe.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of the Bernie Mac standup skit where Bernie called his gay nephew the "f" word. I feel like black comedians were a little late with the gay bashing for laughs. Many of them went well into the 2000's with that garbage.
You think white comics aren't still being homophobic in their material?

Yeah I'm pretty sure a lot of people learned how to not fuck up their money.

That doesn't mean the man couldn't have changed in the last 9 years.

Straight up dehumanizing gay people is not something you "grow" from.

I'm not saying everybody starts off perfect(I certainly haven't) but I would never in my life would have wished against a gay child. That speaks to a lot more than just ignorantly not knowing right or wrong.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Point me to where I'm defending it pls.

You are defending the man who made the comments by calling this a hit on him because he got the Oscar gig.

Instead, you should be focusing on the actual important issue: the terrible things he said.

Yes, eight years is a long time. A huge amount of progress has been made and he very well might not be like this anymore. But these aren't simply jokes. He said them so he has to own up to them.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why people get so defensive about this stuff. Imo it seems like it would be fairly easy for Hart to just go "oh hey sorry about that stuff! I've grown and don't do that anymore" and almost everyone would stop caring. He doesn't even have to mean it 🤷‍♀️

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
You think white comics aren't still being homophobic in their material?

Straight up dehumanizing gay people is not something you "grow" from.

I'm not saying everybody starts off perfect(I certainly haven't) but I would never in my life would have wished against a gay child. That speaks to a lot more than just ignorantly not knowing right or wrong.
White guys on Hart's level aren't. Shithead edgelord white comics most definitely are but their appeal is limited.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White guys on Hart's level aren't. Shithead edgelord white comics most definitely are but their appeal is limited.

Kevin Hart in 2010 wasn't on whos level? Against the contention here is that black comics were uniquely regressive in their homophobic material as opposed to everyone else in the late 00s/ early 10s

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
You are defending the man who made the comments by calling this a hit on him because he got the Oscar gig.

Instead, you should be focusing on the actual important issue: the terrible things he said.

Yes, eight years is a long time. A huge amount of progress has been made and he very well might not be like this anymore. But these aren't simply jokes. He said them so he has to own up to them.
People can knowledge both without defending the comments.

Like the thing's James Gunn said were horrible, but he was also targeted by the alt-right for being anti-Trump.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Don't listen to old Eddie Murphy standup shows.

Eddie made actual jokes, which from what I recall were relatively benign outside of using the word faggot. Like the "imagine if Mr. T was gay" bit is not particularly mean spirited. There's nothing like the stuff in the OP where he is just making statements like "I'll make sure my son is not gay" without any punchline. That's not a joke, it's just a hateful statement.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
As a non fan of Kevin, this news doesnt really make me feel any particular way, but I'm curious what, if anything, could a person in this situation do to make it right.

I myself used to think in a very whatever sort of way that was pretty much indifferent to the plight of gay people and hoped my hypothetical som would not be gay. I've since come to the position that people are people and deserve love respect and deserve all rights that ensure they live a life without ever being in fear of being without the basic human dignity most everyone wants.

I don't think I've ever said anything overtly homophobic other than the above about a hypotheticalsom, but if I did i know my view has changed and that doesnt represent who i am today.

People are usually not willing to accept this in situations where it's a star or public figure which is why I ask what can he do?

Deleted member 2321

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that's the important issue at all.

I think the problem is this new trend of looking at people past with a microscope in an attempt to initiate an internet shit storm.

I don't care what Kevin said 8 years ago.

He seems like a different man to me now.

Let people make mistakes and grow and move on.

And don't always do your internet bullshit thing.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that 2010 was some benighted dark age is ahistorical nonsense. If you were still openly homophobic in 2010 you weren't just a product of your culture, you were a homophobe.
That article you posted, and then deleted, was from 2013. That article claimed that a poll said 55% people favored gay marriage.

This:
http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/
says that in 2013 50% were in favor and 43% were opposed. In 2009 37% were in favor and in 2010 42%, the years these tweets were made.

Yeah, in 2009/2010 if you said shit like what Kevin Hart said then you were homophobic and being homophobic wasn't frowned upon like it is now, that's the problem. A problem that thankfully has gotten a lot better 8 years later.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, typical hit on a guy for hosting the Oscar's. Did some altrighties get angry again? Fuck. It must exhausting dusting off someone's past to just undermine their current success. Social bed wetting at its finest.
Since when has the alt right ever given a shit about a comedian making gay jokes? Those dudes think that "I identify as a ____" jokes are the height of comedy.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
As a non fan of Kevin, this news doesnt really make me feel any particular way, but I'm curious what, if anything, could a person in this situation do to make it right.

I myself used to think in a very whatever sort of way that was pretty much indifferent to the plight of gay people and hoped my hypothetical som would not be gay. I've since come to the position that people are people and deserve love respect and deserve all rights that ensure they live a life without ever being in fear of being without the basic human dignity most everyone wants.

I don't think I've ever said anything overtly homophobic other than the above about a hypotheticalsom, but if I did i know my view has changed and that doesnt represent who i am today.

People are usually not willing to accept this in situations where it's a star or public figure which is why I ask what can he do?
The issue is Hart is such a manufactured personality that him apologizing won't mean anything because everything he does is about furthering his brand.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That article you posted, and then deleted, was from 2013. That article claimed that a poll said 55% people favored gay marriage.

This:
http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/
says that in 2013 50% were in favor and 43% were opposed. In 2009 37% were in favor and in 2010 42%, the years these tweets were made.

Yeah, in 2009/2010 if you said shit like what Kevin Hart said then you were homophobic and being homophobic wasn't frowned upon like it is now, that's the problem. A problem that thankfully has gotten a lot better 8 years later.

Being homophobic isn't frowned upon today

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
James Gunn makes old pedophilic jokes = Petition for rehire.

Kevin Hart makes old homophobic jokes (if you can even call them that, goddamn) = petition to remove him from Oscars not even needed at this point.

If Kevin Hart has shown any indication of progress towards not being a homophobic piece of shit over the past few years before this has broken out then I do believe he, as all people famous or not should be given a chance at redemption. This belief that people should be eternally condemned for past transgressions is why there are varying degrees of sentencing in the justice system and people aren't just thrown behind bars for life lol. With that said, this is clearly a deeply held belief on his part spewed out over the years rather than only a few passing jokes so I'm conflicted?

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
Loving the amount of people acting like the issue is going into someone's old twitter posts and not the homophobic shit that was spewed.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

I think the problem is this new trend of looking at people past with a microscope in an attempt to initiate an internet shit storm.

Agreed

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
The issue is Hart is such a manufactured personality that him apologizing won't mean anything because everything he does is about furthering his brand.

I don't even understand what this means. Someone actively trying to manage their career and maximize their earnings is somehow an issue now? When you are a comedian your brand literally is your business and as an adult you should be about good business, correct?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
"I deeply apologize for the remarks I made in the past and I am no longer that person."

According to most people, he is thusly vindicated of all responsibility for his actions in the past! Unless I'm totally mistaken and Kevin Hart has made active efforts to be more inclusive.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
That was more cruel, heartless, and vile than I was expecting. I thought there would at least be (an unfunny) "joke"

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

See with this clip, if he did this shit today, I don't think the crowd would be laughing as loud as they were back then. You would have some nervous chuckles but a room of uncomfortable people. The reaction of the crowd still shows the people's stance on views back then.
Edit (actually I have no clue when this was taped, If this was recent shouldn't the audience laughter speak more on the fact that we as society got a lot of growing up to do if people still find that funny?)

Let's give him some time to come out and say "hey you know, I didn't know then what I know now and I apologize for anyone I hurt" etc etc

That's all he has to do.

Now if he doesn't do that, then yeah do with him as you will.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018

Sorry. If people say homophobic shit, it deserves to be called out. I'm sorry you can't handle internet shit storms. If they've changed, they can acknowledge the shitty things they've said.