• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well, "accepting" the "gays" is really a "thing" that got mainstream only a couple of years ago. This goes to show how a lot of people actually feel about everything.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Nah, we can't take his tweets as evidence of how people spoke in 2009. People knew better, come on. No one with the slightest social awareness was using the word "fag" so liberally.

Yes I agree.
Didn't try to defend him or this specific tweets (please don't get me wrong), cause they are way over the line of what was ok or normal in 2009, there's no discussion about this.

But people with his standing wouldn't post something like this today anymore, that's for sure.
But still kinda weird to see how they got away with it in 2009 and 2010.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You guys ruining men careers due past mistakes

And we done even know if he actually did something

Just like James Gunn

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The timing on that is suspect as fuck

'I'm hosting the Oscars!'

'TIME TO DIG IN'

Pretty much.

The vid is old and he wouldn't be able to have that same kind of segment in a 2018 show, doesn't condone what he said but there wasn't much of an outcry as far as I could remember. Someone's just trying to get him to lose the Oscars gig.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's a deeply unfunny guy. And he has plenty of homophobic comments. When it comes to wishing his son isn't gay it COULD also mean he doesn't want his son to deal with harsh reality of a homophobic world.

I have no idea though what the context was. edit: Wait, he said he would have failed as a parent?.. Okay, wow.. Nope, he's homophobic.
He's not a comedian i like to watch so haven't seen the bit.

Anyway, there will probably be interviews soon.

Last edited:

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, 2010, those prehistoric times long past, when humans lived in caves and hunted mammoths. Everyone who was a bigot with deep lying issues at that time (being afraid of your child turning out gay and saying that it would mean you failed as a parent isn't a joke, it's simply hate!) has totally changed since then.

WaPo: Analysis: 5 reasons Kevin Hart is an obvious choice for Oscars host — and the one reason he isn't

And the one reason he doesn't make sense as next year's Oscars host:
After years marred by controversy — from #OscarsSoWhite to Rock's widely criticized Asian joke at the 2016 ceremony (not to mention the infamous flub that incorrectly announced "La La Land" as 2017′s best picture winner instead of "Moonlight"), it's a safe bet that the academy will want to avoid controversy at the upcoming ceremony. In that regard, Hart may not be the man for the job.
Hart recently came under fire after photos of his son's "Cowboys and Indians" party were posted to Instagram— on Thanksgiving, no less. And he has been criticized in the past for tone-deaf comedy, including his 2017 "Saturday Night Live" monologue, which poked fun at gender roles in parenting. Hart, marking his third time hosting the NBC sketch comedy show, said he gave credit to women for "putting structure" into their children's lives, listing responsibilities including bathing, feeding and transporting kids to and from school.
"But the one thing that you're not … is fun. You've never heard a kid say I can't wait to get home and play with my mom," Hart joked, drawing swift rebukes on social media from viewers who called the monologue sexist and outdated. It didn't help that Hart had recently admitted to cheating on his then-pregnant wife, Eniko Parrish, whom he married in 2016.
As IndieWire notes, one of Hart's most controversial jokes resurfaced after he was announced as Oscars host.
"One of my biggest fears is my son growing up and being gay. That's a fear," he said in the 2010 special "Seriously Funny." "Keep in mind, I'm not homophobic, I have nothing against gay people, do what you want to do, but me, being a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will."
Hart addressed the backlash in a 2015 interview with Rolling Stone. "It's about my fear. I'm thinking about what I did as a dad, did I do something wrong, and if I did, what was it? Not that I'm not gonna love my son or think about him any differently," Hart said, adding that the joke was about his "own insecurities."
But Hart said the joke was written for a different time.
"I wouldn't tell that joke today, because when I said it, the times weren't as sensitive as they are now. I think we love to make big deals out of things that aren't necessarily big deals, because we can," he said. "These things become public spectacles. So why set yourself up for failure?"

2015, in the dark ages long gone, he was still a bigot, he just realized being so openly might hurt the money flow to his bank account because people had become too "sensitive" by then. And he thinks bigotry and hate "aren't big deals". I mean, making fun of a marginalized group while perpetuating harmful stereotypes is totes funny, guys. And I'm sure since these distant times, he has changed and is no longer a bigot, every apology that will come now will be totally genuine.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if you think those comments being made a decade ago is somehow okay because everyone was cool with it (its not ok) Hart literally straight up admitted in 2015 that he avoids those jokes now due to people being too sensitive. Not because he himself thinks that homophobia is wrong, just that his audience might.

If he didn't change his mind in 5 years, I don't think he will in 3.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people spend their days just digging up old tweets lol
Yes. This is a real thing. When someone is in a prominent position, people will go through all their old tweets specifically looking for something they can frame as offensive, and regardless of if they personally do.

That's the frustrating part, is that a lot of times this shit is coming from right-wing douchebags who don't care at all about these issues, but who do care about hurting prominent members of the "other side."

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly surprised it is only resurfacing now. More surprised after what's happened in the past couple of years, celebs havnt deleted their horrible posts.

Do people spend their days just digging up old tweets lol

Some people just forget social media is a public space, unless all your accounts are locked down and private. When the social media boom started many were a bit naive on how it would pan out, and there are lots of conversations across celebs, non-celebs and the average person that are more behind closed doors/jokes with friends shit. But it's all public and if posted publicly and not removed, the internet never forgets.

Obviously, big names/celebs are public targets, so you'd be stupid not to have scrubbed your facebook/twitter account by now. Even if you have changed, it's just not worth the grovelling needed to publicly state your change. Just delete all your old stuff and know yourself you're a better person without needing the approval of the internet.

The tactic of digging up the past though? That happens to everyone. There are posters on Era, like GAF before, who spend lots of time going through post history just to use something in a related, or even unrelated topic, to win an argument or shoot someone down.

It's just one of those things people get off on 🤷‍♂️ But ultimately the onus is on you to remember the internet is a public space and what you archive across public platforms may well be used against you. Especially if you haven't changed, but as I said above even if you did grow up or move on, or learn, it's just not worth leaving the evidence of your past online.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the audience was just thirsty for homophobic jokes in 2010? I'm referencing the fact that he said in 2015 that he doesn't do gay jokes because people are too sensitive. That's not self-reflection. The joke was bad, and he should feel bad about doing the joke. But he doesn't, at least that's not what is portrayed in that Rolling Stones interview.

Yes I do. Even as we roll into 2019 people are extremely thirsty for Chapelle and his act. And I also think he would know his crowds better than you do. 2010 will never be 2018 no matter how much you guys think it was just last week. Same sex marriage hadn't even been legalized by popular vote in any state in 2010. This country was not so far beyond homophobic attitudes. The majority of americans still OPPOSED same sex marriage in 2010, not even reaching the mindset of "they can do what they want, as long as it doesn't bother me." And let's not forget long after 2010 it was being pointed out often that their were still issues with lgbt acceptance/sensitivity in black culture (only 30% of black americans approved in 2010, didnt reach a majority until 2017, look at the variety of black artists who were being strongly supported even beyond 2010, religious black americans even farther behind). The idea that he was an outlier and folks knew better in 2010 is nothing but naive.

How is it not self reflection to say "actually there's is nothing wrong with the idea of my son being gay and that the reason I feel that way is because of a shortcoming with myself." That is 100% self reflection whether or not you think he's moved far beyond that step.

You are refusing to accept anything besides your own view. Be honest with yourself and lay out your issues with him not growing enough since 2015 and who you think he is today. This tactic of denying and rewriting history and definitions to fuel outrage is not conducive to getting people to listen when its most needed.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised people are just hearing about this now. I remember when this was first brought up as fucked up after his standup, but people brushed it aside as Kevin being Kevin. That standup bit was still circulating regularly in comedy standup playlists this year even.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just like James Gunn

Yeah, just like James Gunn, who has long since and in a public manner had redeemed himself and apologized. And if Kevin Hart did the same since these disgusting remarks were made, I would have no qualms in putting him in the same category as Gunn. But to my knowledge, he hasn't. At all. And there I don't believe people have posted anything showing that he has.

I definitely believe that to a certain extent (there are simply irredeemable i.e; rape, pedophilia, murder etc), people are able to grow and earn good faith back. Get educated on subject matters and turn over a new leaf. But that requires a lot of work and effort, which Kevin hasn't done at all.

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing homophobia

Just like James Gunn
yea i like to side with both sides sometimes but lately im starting to get annoyed of this reverse cyber bullying because someones past mistakes. guess what I was a homophobic in highschool, now i accept it, i dont have to like it, but im glad when people are happy with who they are. am i bad still person still..sheesh

OP
OP
kylecoley182

kylecoley182

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just like James Gunn
Gunn shouldn't have made those comments then I completely understand why he was removed from GOTG3 did it suck? Yes but you gotta know better. Hart has made similar comments in the past about the homosexuals. He should be removed as host period

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
A step too far, I shouldn't have singled out anyone specific and I apologise to Bishop89 for that.

Last edited:

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Both Obama and Hillary were against Same Sex Marriage in 2008.

Hearts changed when the Supreme Court acted in 2015.

Pre-2015, most US politicians were still waffling

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think people have very short memories if they think this sort of humor wasn't the norm ~10 years ago.

The fact he hasn't walked them back (and based on that interview from a few years ago, doesn't intend to) isn't really defensible though, so yeah, jump on him for that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
yea i like to side with both sides sometimes but lately im starting to get annoyed of this reverse cyber bullying because someones past mistakes. guess what I was a homophobic in highschool, now i accept it, i dont have to like it, but im glad when people are happy with who they are. am i bad still person still..sheesh

Disgusting post, honestly.

"reverse cyber bullying" - how you could even think this let alone write it out and hit 'post'....

Na, rubbish. If your past homophobic broadcasts came back to haunt you and action was taken for them, you would simply be getting justice for what was then and still is hate speech.

Trying to excuse yourself like this? My god... sure, you had the potential to own your past behaviours and make amends and grow beyond them, but this post is quite apparent evidence that you haven't.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In relation to 2 female teachers having sex with an underaged student...

I mean, if you want to talk about deleting old posts or having people dig up old stuff :)

giphy.gif

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Are any of those even remotely funny? like... they just sound like some teenager shock factor BS jokes. "look at me I used offensive words! Aren't I funny!"

Oct 29, 2017
Was Kevin Hart in highschool at this point or was he a full grown man? He made these comments as a man with a child, what you did as a child in school has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Disgusting post, honestly.

"reverse cyber bullying" - how you could even think this let alone write it out and hit 'post'....

Na, rubbish. If your past homophobic broadcasts came back to haunt you and action was taken for them, you would simply be getting justice for what was then and still is hate speech.

Trying to excuse yourself like this? My god... sure, you had the potential to own your past behaviors and make amends and grow beyond them, but this post is quite apparent evidence that you haven't.
this is what i mean by stupid bullying. you are attacking me of my own opinion that I grew up with. Let me tell you something I grew up in church, and being gay was a sin. i cant help with what i was grown into when i was young. i said i was homophobic, i never said that i attacked gay people or call them names, I was just uncomfortable around them. but here you come attacking me. My post literally states that I have grown out of it but we shouldn't hate someone or attack them because of their past. My post didnt say anything that I hate gay ppl, but thats what social justice ppl like you put in other people mouths.

Let me tell you something friend, i am a black male and I have to go through life knowing some white people will always hate me no matter what I think. I cant change them, only themselves, but i wont attack them unless they attack me back. and yes if they have said something in the past that was racist I would be mad, and either ignore them or hope they knew how wrong they were. but i hate this internet era where we go lurk for other peoples past dark times to judge and throw stones on them in the present. If they are still being hateful and mean in the present than that is a different story. But i can assure many people on this forum mostly like didnt like homosexuals when growing up. this only recently change because we are older now and forming our own opinions and trying to be more accepted. But this has to work on both sides. Have a good day im out.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
this is what i mean by stupid bullying. you are attacking me of my own opinion that I grew up with. Let me tell you something I grew up in church, and being gay was a sin. i cant help with what i was grown into when i was young. i said i was homophobic, i never said that i attacked gay people or call them names, I was just uncomfortable around them. but here you come attacking me. My post literally states that I have grown out of it but we shouldn't hate someone or attack them because of their past. My post didnt say anything that I hate gay ppl, but thats what social justice ppl like you put in other people mouths.

Let me tell you something friend, i am a black male and I have to go through life knowing some white people will always hate me no matter what I think. I cant change them, only themselves, but i wont attack them unless they attack me back. and yes if they have said something in the past that was racist I would be mad, and either ignore them or hope they knew how wrong they were. but i hate this internet era where we go lurk for other peoples past dark times to judge and throw stones on them in the present. If they are still being hateful and mean in the present than that is a different story. But i can assure many people on this forum mostly like did like homosexuals when growing up. this only recently change because we are older now and forming our own opinions and trying to be more accepted. But this has to work on both sides. Have a good day im out.

No, I'm calling you out for a terrible post that shows you haven't learnt much.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In relation to 2 female teachers having sex with an underaged student...

I mean, if you want to talk about deleting old posts or having people dig up old stuff :)

You just went and proved his point by going back to a post on NeoGAF from over 4 years ago?

A lot of guys make stupid comments in topics about high school teachers being caught committing sexual assault or paedophilia. Often young guys thinking they are funny projecting their high school lust over a teacher they remember or some dumb fantasy. Most grow out of it/reflect there is a victim in real life, especially once they get a load of people quoting them and telling them to STFU.

Hart's homophobic ranting is worse than Bishop's dumb "omg high school teacher hot" post anyway. It's not like some of it even comes across as joking, just saying spiteful shit.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Yet Era has no problem with danny o dwyer's racist comments.

The reasoning there was "it was a different time"
Don't post bullshit strawmen. There are so many posts like this but they're always a bit dumb. Era isn't a hivemind, if you think people are being hypocritical then call out individuals and provide evidence of those individuals doing what you're claiming.

Otherwise you have absolutely no point.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yet Era has no problem with danny o dwyer's racist comments.

The reasoning there was "it was a different time"

I'm not "Era".

I have issue with all racist, homophobic, sexist, etc... hateful comments.

I grew up without making any kind of hateful "joke" or comment, it wasn't difficult to have empathy for others.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Just like James Gunn
We've known for a while he had homophobic jokes in his material for a decent amount of years. It ain't a one time fluke, and I'm sick of yall getting away with de-legitimizing comments from actual queer members of the community who say we don't want to enable these people with platforms for more of these comments that are proven harmful to us

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Both Obama and Hillary were against Same Sex Marriage in 2008.

Hearts changed when the Supreme Court acted in 2015.

Pre-2015, most US politicians were still waffling
It was in 2012

And again the man still has twitter, he could have apologized in any time since!

Ah it was in 2015 but a lot of states and obama and a federal court all endorsed it in 2012

Last edited:

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think people are being a bit obtuse when they try to put his remarks into the context of their times. Yes, 2009-10 was VERY different and both public and private opinions have shifted dramatically since then, however what Kevin is tasked with now isn't excusing his old comments (there is no excuse) but showing understanding, grace, and sympathy in an apology for the comments today. My problem isn't that he said these things, many people have said objectionable things over long careers, but that he hasn't acknowledged their unacceptability and showed an understanding of why these kind of jokes are unacceptable in 2018. A simple statement (that any PR firm could craft in 5 minutes) would go a long way toward easing my animosity.

More off topic, I don't think Hart should lose his hosting gig. Just like with Gunn, I think a weaponization of past mistakes is inherently disingenuous and isn't intended to be corrective but purely punitive and petty. That said, I would completely understand if they do decide to fire him.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
You just went and proved his point by going back to a post on NeoGAF from over 4 years ago?

A lot of guys make stupid comments in topics about high school teachers being caught committing sexual assault or paedophilia. Often young guys thinking they are funny projecting their high school lust over a teacher they remember or some dumb fantasy. Most grow out of it/reflect there is a victim in real life, especially once they get a load of people quoting them and telling them to STFU.

Hart's homophobic ranting is worse than Bishop's dumb "omg high school teacher hot" post anyway. It's not like some of it even comes across as joking, just saying spiteful shit.

I wasn't saying it was 1:1, and you're actually proving other people's points by trying to downplay people's behavior without any appology or even acceptance (and yes, I did look and no I didn't find anything like that for my example though he's free to do so now just like some are willing to accept for Hart, or he can link me to a post or something where he did that I missed). You're making a lot of assumptions about their character, and making excuses for their actions... just like a lot of people are doing here for Hart.

Shinku_King

Nov 11, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding homophobia
Ain't even a big deal it was a while ago, people are way too sensitive nowadays, first thing someone does is find some celeb old tweet or stand up an try to make a big deal of it, god bless anyone trying to go watch Eddie's old stand up.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused at why it should matter that these tweets come out now because of the Oscar gig or it is possibly being used by conservatives. I mean... did he fucking say it or not?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I would just change the title to say "recent" instead of "old." Or just no qualifier at all. This is within the last decade and not something that was really a secret by the sounds of it.