• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
His past comments are incredibly barbed and directed at an entire group of people and sometimes actual individuals. This is not like Gunn whose comments were not directed at actual people.

And many of Hart's comments are outright hate speech.

10 years ago is not even close to being an excuse in the slightest.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused at why it should matter that these tweets come out now because of the Oscar gig or it is possibly being used by conservatives. I mean... did he fucking say it or not?

It absolutely matters because like I said above, this weaponization is disingenuous. It's not in an effort to change his opinion or to help the gay community, it isn't meant to be anything but punitive. That's why you see the alt-right doing this more and more after the left started it, because there is ZERO value in forcing someone to fire someone else based on past mistakes beyond self-satisfaction and scoring points in a larger culture war.

Please don't read this as an endorsement of Hart's hateful "jokes".

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ain't even a big deal it was a while ago, people are way too sensitive nowadays, first thing someone does is find some celeb old tweet or stand up an try to make a big deal of it, god bless anyone trying to go watch Eddie's old stand up.

Excusing homophobia like this makes you a bad person.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Ain't even a big deal it was a while ago, people are way too sensitive nowadays, first thing someone does is find some celeb old tweet or stand up an try to make a big deal of it, god bless anyone trying to go watch Eddie's old stand up.
Want to know the difference between Hart and Murphy in this situation?

Murphy apologized 20 years ago.

In his statement, Murphy said, "I deeply regret any pain all this has caused."

Murphy said he was young and "misinformed" back then. Referring specifically to his 1981 HBO special called "Delirious," Murphy said, "Just like the rest of the world, I am more educated about AIDS in 1996 than I was in 1981. I think it is unfair to take the words of a misinformed 21-year-old and apply them to an informed 35-year- old man.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't saying it was 1:1, and you're actually proving other people's points by trying to downplay people's behavior without any appology or even acceptance (and yes, I did look and no I didn't find anything like that for my example though he's free to do so now just like some are willing to accept for Hart, or he can link me to a post or something where he did that I missed). You're making a lot of assumptions about Bishop's character, and making excuses for his actions... just like a lot of people are doing here for Hart.

You rode in on a random user who made a pretty benign post all things considered and did even allude to horrible behaviour

More surprised after what's happened in the past couple of years, celebs havnt deleted their horrible posts.

What did you aim to achieve bringing up a post by a random forum user from 4 years ago, from a forum most of us don't use anymore and around a subject matter completely unrelated to this? Most of the time I suspect it's just to get responses like those in post #423 and #428. Some people to quote you and go "OMG" or "Jesus Christ!" or in someway drag the person you are "making an example of". Or are you wanting Bishop to apologize for that post on GAF?

This topic is about Kevin Hart, not what Bishop said on NeoGAF in 2014.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this man shouldn't be hosting the Oscars. Should be not cast in any movie ever again to be honest. These comments are horrible. You can't take back words like that.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, this man shouldn't be hosting the Oscars. Should be not cast in any movie ever again to be honest. These comments are horrible. You can't take back words like that.

You cannot be damned forever based on a stand-up routine from nearly a decade ago. He should be able to atone and show he's grown as a person... until then though, I certainly wouldn't hire him.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

No, those tweets are outright hate speech and fully disgusting.

Not only did he harbour these views, but he took the time to type them out and thought they were okay to post.

And not only post, but direct them at actual groups and individuals.

People defending this are pretty gross, tbh.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
2018:

tumblr_mzbqvlNpFm1sjampeo2_250.gif

Nov 30, 2018
Were they just waiting for him to be Oscar host to surface this?

Seems more helpful to do it before so we can get a better host

Oct 25, 2017
You cannot be damned forever based on a stand-up routine from nearly a decade ago. He should be able to atone and show he's grown as a person... until then though, I certainly wouldn't hire him.

I disagree. He already showed what's in his heart. He can put on a mask and pretend it didn't happen, but we see through that shit

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like we're going off on a tangent here.

The important part isn't if he was being more or less homophobic than his peers in the past when the tweets were made, it's whether or not he's changed since then.

And from what I've seen he hasn't. He can still salvage this pretty easily with a half-assed apology as long as he says he doesn't believe those things anymore, but I somehow don't see that happening if he wasn't willing to let that out as recently as 2015.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Weird to see people downplaying this and asking why they should care now. He owes an apology. It's not nothing and there's not a statute of limitations on vile views that haven't been rectified.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is true, and probably was not the best way to express this. As such I will edit out the comment.

Yeah, I think that is fair. Digging through the past is more relevant if someone is still behaving a certain way in the present. Or there is credible reason to think they are/haven't learned/will still act out. If it were a topic about sexual assault and high school teachers and Bishop was still shitposting about hot teachers, fair enough.

There's a lot of posters on this forum, some who you might even think are like Jesus walking on water, who, if they were a member of GAF since early on (and they were younger), might have some dumb posts, edgy shit, or failed jokes. Maybe even a few bans or timeouts for overreacting on GAF. It's a bit harder to delete all your GAF presence, versus cleaning up your own personal social media accounts.

The bigger issue with Hart as well is this isn't just evidence from his standup where many comedians try to say they did jokes of the time, or went after everyone for the butt of a joke. He just seems to be calling random people on twitter f*gs and using that word as a way to insult or attack other people.

Many comedians can be very off the cuff and crude in their standup, but people you could introduce to your Grandma off the stage and away from their acting/writing. Not that you cannot criticize the work of these people too, but an attempt at work/artistic merit is obviously different than randomly acting people on Twitter and calling them slurs.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017

It is crazy to think shit you said or did nearly a decade ago will come back and bite you in the ass, no matter how much you may have grown in that time. I feel really bad for each successive generation that be on this social media shit so tough.

I do wonder what the cross section of people bent out of shape about this is vs. people being upset prisoners are punished for their crimes instead of rehabilitated. This country loves punishing people eternally, especially people of color.

Oct 27, 2017
So they didn't vet him, or they did and didn't care. Either way, they fucked up. I do believe people can grow and maybe Kevin has, but he should still own up to what he did and make amends for it, even if that means just offering a sincere apology. It's never too late to make significant changes in the way you view others around you. I remember Adam Yauch being a guy who openly sexually assaulted women at his shows to being a champion for women.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hooooo boy.

Honestly surprised it is only resurfacing now. More surprised after what's happened in the past couple of years, celebs havnt deleted their horrible posts.

Do people spend their days just digging up old tweets lol

Thing is today that if you're famous and delete an old tweet, it'll probably surface faster because services are out there that scour famous people's social accounts and find differences, and then specifically capture those differences.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I've been the target of hateful speech like this, and I believe people do have the capacity to grow beyond it.

BUT

They have to prove this via action. Consistent, true action and amends that prove they understand the harm they caused and want to help prevent it in future.

Kevin ran into this acting gig without even deleting those tweets... that's a pretty good sign he doesn't consider his past behaviours something he needs to amend.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
It is crazy to think shit you said or did nearly a decade ago will come back and bite you in the ass, no matter how much you may have grown in that time. I feel really bad for each successive generation that be on this social media shit so tough.

I do wonder what the cross section of people bent out of shape about this is vs. people being upset prisoners are punished for their crimes instead of rehabilitated. This country loves punishing people eternally, especially people of color.
Again, if Hart came out, even right now, and apologized and/or said he didn't believe those things anymore this wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue. Your thoughts and opinions can change and people are willing to accept that... but you have to at least put a little bit of effort in.

The last official comment we have from him right now is from 2015 where he said he doesn't do those jokes anymore because people are more sensitive, and that's not an apology or showing they changed anything more than not saying their bad opinion out loud.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yep^

Awaiting his "sorry people were offended" apology update.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong, show he's moved passed this and made amends etc... but the fact he kept those tweets up and that was the last word... it's not looking good.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I never liked Kevin Hart, so it's very easy for me to say I hope he never works again.

That said, I hope nobody digs into the shitty things I wrote online in 1998 on video game forums...

wait...2009...

...come on dude.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, if Hart came out, even right now, and apologized and/or said he didn't believe those things anymore this wouldn't be nearly as big of an issue. Your thoughts and opinions can change and people are willing to accept that... but you have to at least put a little bit of effort in.

The last official comment we have from him right now is from 2015 where he said he doesn't do those jokes anymore because people are more sensitive, and that's not an apology or showing they changed anything more than not saying their bad opinion out loud.

That's right. Hiding his views behind a mask like I said.

"Im not homophobic, but I don't want my son to be gay". Lordy what a homophobic statement.

Yeah this is total bullshit. As someone who lives in the south I hate this. This is like the Christian belief as "Hate the sin but love the sinner"

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Seems more like the unprogressive parent that was just "born in another time" type of homophobic then the hateful kind, I think in these cases are better to teach then to shun

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It was in 2012

And again the man still has twitter, he could have apologized in any time since!

Ah it was in 2015 but a lot of states and obama and a federal court all endorsed it in 2012
what I mean is that stuff said pre-2012 area shouldn't be used to slam someone in 2018.

yeah, it is highly insensitive what Hart said but many men grow up with a certain level machismo pressure that takes a couple of years to get ironed out with growing progressive changes.

it's not like a light switch that automatically years of macho upbringing gets erased.

I went to high school in the early 1990s, only when I started my career in my late 20s did I start getting progressive about same sex marriage

Being a hetero male kid in the 1980s and 1990s, the shit that we hear in the school yard and the macho peer pressure insitiled on kids. That stuff doesn't go away quick, it takes time and teaching to iron that out.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
"Im not homophobic, but I don't want my son to be gay". Lordy what a homophobic statement.

That in itself is not a homophobic statement.

Looking at it from a parental perspective i wouldnt want my son to be trans not because i have an issue with trans people but because i know how society treats them and i wouldnt want my children to go through that. As the father of two black boys i worry all the time if im adequately preparing them to live in a world that thinks lesser of them and in many cases outright hates them because of the color of their skin. I cant change the color of their skin any more than i can change their sexual orientation/gender. That being said me not wanting them to be trans so they can have an easier time through life does not make me phobic against trans people.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil

Now or a while ago, doesnt matter. It IS a big deal if it offends someone (maybe your lack of empathy is blinding you to that) and making excuses or trying to brush it off as just a matter of people being over-sensitive makes you look extremely bad so maybe rethink your words next time.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems more like the unprogressive parent that was just "born in another time" type of homophobic then the hateful kind, I think in these cases are better to teach then to shun
I'm sure all those kids out there that are closeted because their parents would hate and reject them would agree!
If anything, homophobic parents are the worst type.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I can't make excuses for this. Can you imagine the hurt it would have caused to any gay kid reading that? Horrible, just horrible.

Have you read those tweets? First page, take a look.

Hate speech.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
what I mean is that stuff said pre-2012 area shouldn't be used to slam someone in 2018.

yeah, it is highly insensitive what Hart said but many men grow up with a certain level machismo pressure that takes a couple of years to get ironed out with growing progressive changes.

it's not like a light switch that automatically years of macho upbringing gets erased.

I went to high school in the early 1990s, only when I started my career in my late 20s did I start getting progressive about same sex marriage

Being a hetero male kid in the 1980s and 1990s, the shit that we hear in the school yard and the macho peer pressure insitiled on kids. That stuff doesn't go away quick, it takes time and teaching to iron that out.
This is is a lot of words to ignore his own words in 2015 where he shows he just doubled down. It's 2018, I'm not interested in holding anyone's hand to explain to them how making a "joke" about how you hope your son isn't gay bc lol gay people is bad and how refusing to recognize that it's problematic years after the fact while blaming the audience for being too sensitive is also bad. Hart can fuck off.

I'm sick of homophobes and I'm sick of fake allies falling on their sword for non-reformed homophobes for no other reason than they like them and/or they used to be outwardly homophobic and now they aren't (or at least think that bc a lot of you havent changed as much as you think) and that must mean this homophobe has changed despite ZERO evidence of that and plenty to the contrary.

In the wise words of the greatest philosophical mind of the generation "thank u, next"

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Frankly, if you are famous, and you haven't just sneakily deleted everything you ever posted, you are an idiot..even if you don't think you ever said anything bad...you know what, even if you are not famous, if you are just a regular joe applying for jobs...your internet history is out there.

If its attached to your name - NUKE IT - get a new online name for 'adulting', and a new one for acting like an idiot.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure all those kids out there that are closeted because their parents would hate and reject them would agree!
If anything, homophobic parents are the worst type.
I can't make excuses for this. Can you imagine the hurt it would have caused to any gay kid reading that? Horrible, just horrible.

Have you read those tweets? First page, take a look.

Hate speech.
I guess I'm more tolerant on the matter is because he reminds me of my dad, I'm Pansexual but I don't really plan on telling my dad that, I can understand that he only wants what's best for me and doesn't want me to get bullied and really he's not a hateful person

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm more tolerant on the matter is because he reminds me of my dad, I'm Pansexual but I don't really plan on telling my dad that, I can understand that he only wants what's best for me and doesn't want me to get bullied and really he's not a hateful person

Ok, but what about the other tweets on the first page?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people didn't know about this stand up. Feel this was around the time he started getting popular too.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Frankly, if you are famous, and you haven't just sneakily deleted everything you ever posted, you are an idiot..even if you don't think you ever said anything bad...you know what, even if you are not famous, if you are just a regular joe applying for jobs...your internet history is out there.

If its attached to your name - NUKE IT - get a new online name for 'adulting', and a new one for acting like an idiot.

I mean, fuck, PR firms offer these services as part of a package deal. It's frankly on you at this point if your past is out there ready to be weaponized.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
*Reading through these awful tweets and comments of his*

Down_goes_Frazier.mp3

Wonder what the actual fallout will be.

Yung Kyubii

Banned
May 12, 2018
I never liked Kevin Hart, so it's very easy for me to say I hope he never works again.

That said, I hope nobody digs into the shitty things I wrote online in 1998 on video game forums...

wait...2009...

...come on dude.

Dude, edgelord humor was widely accepted in 2009.

I remember when PewDiePie was criticized for the hard 'R' word. Public servers especially in gaming were full of it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
As a male who went to school in the 80s and 90s where marchismo was the law of the school yard, you have to be patient and educate present day adults to iron that thinking out.

If I can change, everybody can change
Cool

The education is out there

In the meantime hart shouldnt continue to get tons of money and fame