• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, edgelord humor was widely accepted in 2009.

I remember when PewDiePie was criticized for the hard 'R' word. Public servers especially in gaming were full of it.

"edgy" Humor is talking about dark themes and violence, homophobic and racist jokes are not "edgy" humor, and they were not okay back them and they are not okay now, what has changed is that as time passes more and more people are confident enough to speak up against this abhorrent behavior, "product of the time" is not a valid excuse.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Dude, edgelord humor was widely accepted in 2009.

I remember when PewDiePie was criticized for the hard 'R' word. Public servers especially in gaming were full of it.

Yeah...that's not the same as this:

NvSXEOM.png

97wqIHD.png

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Do people not understand how much progress has been made in the realm of disallowing the use of such words over the last 10 years? When I was still in high school in 2008 and 2009, homophobic slurs were pretty much still the defacto insult among enemies and term of endearment among friends (at least here in Texas). The majority of states didn't allow gay marriage (did even one state allow it in 2009?), and gays were constantly the butt of jokes in tons of media.

I don't particularly mind people being taken to task for their prior actions, but to act like a comedian engaging in homophobia before 2012 is somehow shocking is to both rose tint the past and to deny the significant (but still insufficient) progress we have made over the last 5 years in learning to treat LGBT people and issues with the respect they have always deserved.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
These aren't exactly "old" comments and he said them in public. Not really worth defending anything here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Do people not understand how much progress has been made in the realm of disallowing the use of such words over the last 10 years? When I was still in high school in 2008 and 2009, homophobic slurs were pretty much still the defacto insult among enemies and term of endearment among friends (at least here in Texas). The majority of states didn't allow gay marriage (did even one state allow it in 2009?), and gays were constantly the butt of jokes in tons of media.

I don't particularly mind people being taken to task for their prior actions, but to act like a comedian engaging in homophobia before 2012 is somehow shocking is to both rose tint the past and to deny the significant (but still insufficient) progress we have made over the last 5 years in learning to treat LGBT people and issues with the respect they have always deserved.
He still thinks this! Why do y'all keep repeating the same wrong talking points.

Is everyone gonna pretend like they never knew about this skit before he blew up?
Uh, I had no idea actually.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
These aren't exactly "old" comments and he said them in public. Not really worth defending anything here.
With regard to the normalization and acceptance of homophobic jokes, comments, and slurs, anything over 5 or 6 years old is actually pretty old. Or did I live in an alternate "man in the high castle" version of America where gay marriage was illegal and generally unsupported on both sides of the aisle politically while you lived in the good version where everyone was on board the LGBT positivity train back in 2008?
He still thinks this! Why do y'all keep repeating the same wrong talking points.

Uh, I had no idea actually.
Note that I never said that Hart himself had changed or that he isn't a piece of shit, only that society at large has deemed this type of behavior to be publically unacceptable, which is a positive change.
Not sure who "ya'll" is. I am one person.
I personally don't believe that many of those previously publically homophobic people actually change, only that they got wise enough to avoid sharing their shitty opinions publically to avoid being rightfully taken to task for those views.

Last edited:

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
It amazes me things like this take so long to resurface, like as soon as someone gains a little bit of celebrity I picture people trawling through every tweet they've ever made.

RRR

Oct 11, 2018
That in itself is not a homophobic statement.

Looking at it from a parental perspective i wouldnt want my son to be trans not because i have an issue with trans people but because i know how society treats them and i wouldnt want my children to go through that. As the father of two black boys i worry all the time if im adequately preparing them to live in a world that thinks lesser of them and in many cases outright hates them because of the color of their skin. I cant change the color of their skin any more than i can change their sexual orientation/gender. That being said me not wanting them to be trans so they can have an easier time through life does not make me phobic against trans people.
Exactly.
I'm gay and if I ever have a son I really wish he's not gay.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Burr are right
Gonna need to provide context but nothing I like more than straight people telling LGBT people to not get upset at blatant homophobia disguised as comedy when the comedian has shown 0 understanding or empathy since. Thanks, very cool!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Exactly.
I'm gay and if I ever have a son I really wish he's not gay.
There's a difference between wanting someone to grow up straight bc of straight privilege and wanting them to grow up straight bc you're a homophobic piece of shit and don't wanna have a gay son. Not saying you don't understand the difference, I'm sure you do all too well just clarifying that Hart is definitely the latter due to the full context of his joke.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With regard to the normalization and acceptance of homophobic jokes, comments, and slurs, anything over 5 or 6 years old is actually pretty old. Or did I live in an alternate "man in the high castle" version of America where gay marriage was illegal and generally unsupported on both sides of the aisle politically while you lived in the good version where everyone was on board the LGBT positivity train back in 2008?

Not being for gay marriage, while that is strictly speaking homophobic in my eyes, is not the same as calling someone a f** in public on Twitter. Also, Massachusetts legalized gay marriage in 2004. Not sure where 2008 came from.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Not being for gay marriage, while that is strictly speaking homophobic in my eyes, is not the same as calling someone a f** in public on Twitter. Also, Massachusetts legalized gay marriage in 2004. Not sure where 2008 came from.
08 is around when these comments were made (what the thread is about), a time frame in which less than a fifth of states had fully legalized gay marriage. You are right about Mass being first on the gay marriage train, nearly 3 years before the next state. Good on Mass!

Also, not sure if it's 100% accurate, but the LA times has a great timeline map that shows just how rapid of a sea change pro gay marriage sentiment was across the US:
Gay Marriage Chronology Map

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
People acting like he should be forgiven for this and ignoring that he hasn't apologized and asked to be forgiven in the first place yet lol. Weird seeing posts defend him saying "oh things were less progressive back then" and "it was a long time ago" without Hart even having expressed an ounce of remorse or change.

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, now we have gay people in here hoping their kids aren't gay. SMH. What the hell happened to this forum?

Oct 25, 2017
So this dude isn't going to be up in everything now? Thank you.

RHoH is funny because of how he plays off of everyone else, and he was funny as hell in his 40-Year-Old Virgin cameo, but otherwise, this would be about the level of "humor" that you'd expect from Kevin Hart off the cuff.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The timing is suspect.

Those comments are trash though.

He'll find a way to get out of it though. The man has a weird way of words that I can't describe. Watch his Breakfast Club Interview after he got caught cheating. Pretty much flipped the whole script and came out unscathed.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
People acting like he should be forgiven for this and ignoring that he hasn't apologized and asked to be forgiven in the first place yet lol. Weird seeing posts defend him saying "oh things were less progressive back then" and "it was a long time ago" without Hart even having expressed an ounce of remorse or change.
Is it weird though

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Man, now we have gay people in here hoping their kids aren't gay. SMH. What the hell happened to this forum?

While i think it is indeed saddening that there are people who would have that stance, i do not blame them, i blame the piece of shit society that still is bigoted enough to cause a grown openly queer adult to still have such fears because that's how little we have advanced in the greater scheme of things.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The timing is suspect.

No it isn't. People in high profile positions, like the host of the Oscars, draw more scrutiny. And it sounds like a lot of people already knew about the comments, and so reacted with surprise the Oscars would want to go ahead with him when all this was already fully known.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
No it isn't. People in high profile positions, like the host of the Oscars, draw more scrutiny. And it sounds like a lot of people already knew about the comments, and so reacted with surprise the Oscars would want to go ahead with him when all this was already fully known.
You don't think the timing is suspect that these tweets are just now resurfacing the moment he gets the job to host the Oscars? Lol that's ignorance. Of course it's suspect.

It's no different than people wanting to see Obama's birth certificate after he got the job for President.

I'm not saying the comments Kevin Hart made are okay, because they aren't. But yeah, whoever decided to dig this up at this time, is suspect.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think the timing is suspect that these tweets are just now resurfacing the moment he gets the job to host the Oscars? Lol that's ignorance. Of course it's suspect.

It's no different than people wanting to see Obama's birth certificate after he got the job for President.

I'm not saying the comments Kevin Hart made are okay, because they aren't. But yeah, whoever decided to dig this up at this time, is suspect.

You actually just compared bringing up a homophobe's homophobic comments to the birther movement? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018
That in itself is not a homophobic statement.

Looking at it from a parental perspective i wouldnt want my son to be trans not because i have an issue with trans people but because i know how society treats them and i wouldnt want my children to go through that. As the father of two black boys i worry all the time if im adequately preparing them to live in a world that thinks lesser of them and in many cases outright hates them because of the color of their skin. I cant change the color of their skin any more than i can change their sexual orientation/gender. That being said me not wanting them to be trans so they can have an easier time through life does not make me phobic against trans people.
Yup. My grandmother asked me if I was gay once (I can lean slightly feminine at times) and when I said no she was relieved for this exact reason. Not to say that Kevin Hart meant it in this context (did he?) but I understand the above sentiment.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
You actually just compared bringing up a homophobe's homophobic comments to the birther movement? What the fuck is wrong with you?
Nothing. You're just missing the point. It's the constant thread of "black man gets put in position of power, let me dig up something to bring them down."

It happens all the time.

Still, not saying what Kevin said is right, just saying it's something that happens, and is suspect.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
"Well why are you looking at what he wrote anyway?? Huh? Huh???? It was ages ago" is not the correct response to a celebrity that will be hosting the Oscars, who is quite clearly homophobic.

Fucking hell, growing up gay was painful enough, but seeing people defending this guy in 2018, sheesh, no words.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. You're just missing the point. It's the constant thread of "black man gets put in position of power, let me dig up something to bring them down."

It happens all the time.

Still, not saying what Kevin said is right, just saying it's something that happens, and is suspect.
This the same shit people used to defend Bill Cosby

Sometimes black People say or do bad things. You got a Kobe avatar so you should ve familiar with that.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It happens all the time.

Or maybe the person who 'went digging' for all these public posts just doesn't like bigots and homophobes.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
This the same shit people used to defend Bill Cosby

Sometimes black People say or do bad things. You got a Kobe avatar so you should ve familiar with that.
All I said was that the timing was suspect. Other dude was the one who said it wasn't, so I tried to prove him wrong.

It's like y'all are just ignoring the rest of my post. What Kevin said was bad and he should be condemned for it, but it doesn't mean the timing isn't suspect. Like the person didn't decide to go digging for info once they found out he was going to be Oscar host.
Or maybe the person who 'went digging' for all these public posts just doesn't like bigots and homophobes.
So he just decided "hey you know what I'm gonna do? Search for Kevin Hart homophobic tweets."

It ain't like Kevin has said homophobic things recently.

The timing, in conjunction with his caption on the first tweet, makes it pretty obvious that dude went looking for stuff right when they found out Kevin was going to be Oscar host.

And I'll say it one more time so you can't ignore it, WHAT KEVIN SAID WAS BAD AND HE SHOULD BE CONDEMNED, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THE TIMING IS NOT SUSPECT.

There ya go

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Lol, what a horrible comparison.

And anyone suddenly in a prominent position gets defective work these days. The internet can't help itself.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Kevin Hart but even if I did, he shouldn't be hosting. He hasn't show any regret or that he truly feels differently now. A lot of us around his age were homophobic in the past but we've moved on from those harmful and dangerous beliefs. I'm not convinced where he stands.

It happens all the time.

The problem is the lack of any obvious remorse or growth from Hart. We can all debate about where public opinion stood on homosexuality in 2010 (IMO that's fairly late to make these kinds of virulently-homophobic statements) but Kevin Hart's apology is shit and he hasn't really addressed his comments properly.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, what a horrible comparison.

And anyone suddenly in a prominent position gets defective work these days. The internet can't help itself.
It's an accurate comparison.

By you saying "the internet can't help itself" literally proves my point.

Do you know what someone has to do to find these tweets? They literally have to type in their @ name and then type in "homo" or "fag" or "gay" and then the search results pop in. That's a very specific thing to do, right after someone gets a big job.

That, in itself, makes it suspect. Why do it now? Why Kevin?

And I'll type this for you as well, because I know people like you only take certain parts of a quote and don't read the whole fucking thing:

WHAT KEVIN HART SAID WAS BAD AND HE SHOULD BE CONDEMNED, BUT THE TIMING OF IT ALL IS SUSPECT.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is the lack of any obvious remorse or growth from Hart. We can all debate about where public opinion stood on homosexuality in 2010 (IMO that's fairly late to make these kinds of virulently-homophobic statements) but Kevin Hart's apology is shit and he hasn't really addressed his comments properly.
I'm not defending Kevin at all. What he said was terrible.

All I said was "the timing is suspect" in a paragraph long post, then someone decided to pluck only that sentence from it and start an argument, so I had to defend my point. I haven't defended Kevin at all in any post that I've made.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I said was that the timing was suspect. Other dude was the one who said it wasn't, so I tried to prove him wrong.

It's like y'all are just ignoring the rest of my post. What Kevin said was bad and he should be condemned for it, but it doesn't mean the timing isn't suspect. Like the person didn't decide to go digging for info once they found out he was going to be Oscar host.

So he just decided "hey you know what I'm gonna do? Search for Kevin Hart homophobic tweets."

It ain't like Kevin has said homophobic things recently.

The timing, in conjunction with his caption on the first tweet, makes it pretty obvious that dude went looking for stuff right when they found out Kevin was going to be Oscar host.

And I'll say it one more time so you can't ignore it, WHAT KEVIN SAID WAS BAD AND HE SHOULD BE CONDEMNED, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THE TIMING IS NOT SUSPECT.

There ya go
What you don't seem to understand is this skepticism isn't rooted in racism, it's being against homophobia.

You probably don't watch the Oscars that seriously, but I frequent some big Oscar Race watching communities like Awards Watch and The Film Experience, and let me tell ya: LGBT people are a huge proportion of those communities. It's like the gay super bowl, I'm not joking.

ANYBODY who's elected to host the Oscars, don't matter if they white black gay Straight man woman or otherwise, is gonna come under a lot of scrunity by the Oscar watching community. Now they went ahead and hired a homophobe who actively dislikes gays, what do you think this community is gonna do? Just let it go because he's black? Please, brotha. They're gonna bring it to peoples attention because they deeply care who represents the Oscars.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

Do you know what someone has to do to find these tweets? They literally have to type in their @ name and then type in "homo" or "fag" or "gay" and then the search results pop in. That's a very specific thing to do, right after someone gets a big job.

And I'll type this for you as well, because I know people like you only take certain parts of a quote and don't read the whole fucking thing:

WHAT KEVIN HART SAID WAS BAD AND HE SHOULD BE CONDEMNED, BUT THE TIMING OF IT ALL IS SUSPECT.

Would it be ok if it was after he presented the oscars? I'm assuming you're fine with him still doing the gig?

astro

Oct 25, 2017

It's terrible, because one is about a man who couldn't help where he was born and absurd claims, and the other is about hate speech.

It proves what? That every time a new person rises to prominence people on one side try to dig up dirt? This happens to everyone mate, and you know this.

Racism is real, plenty of non-racist people doing detective work too.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018

But someone pointing out an actual factual thing that happened and digging up tweets and someone claiming US would elect a president that was not a born citizen because the Liberal Media and The Globalists are not the same thing

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
What you don't seem to understand is this skepticism isn't rooted in racism, it's being against homophobia.

You probably don't watch the Oscars that seriously, but I frequent some big Oscar Race watching communities like Awards Watch and The Film Experience, and let me tell ya: LGBT people are a huge proportion of those communities. It's like the gay super bowl, I'm not joking.

ANYBODY who's elected to host the Oscars, don't matter if they white black gay Straight man woman or otherwise, is gonna come under a lot of scrunity by the Oscar watching community. Now they went ahead and hired a homophobe who actively dislikes gays, what do you think this community is gonna do? Just let it go because he's black? Please, brotha. They're gonna bring it to peoples attention because they deeply care who represents the Oscars.
Man it's like you aren't reading the whole thing.

I never said Kevin should still host or that he shouldn't be condemned, I said the exact opposite.

All I said was "the timing is suspect" in a paragraph long post, and someone decided to pluck that one sentence and start an argument. Go back and look at my post, I never said Kevin should get away with it.

And FYI, I work in film. I watch all the award shows, hell I've even gone to a few and some of my best friends/colleagues are in the LGBTQ+ community.

It's like some of y'all just take one comment out of context and spin the whole fucking thing. It's annoying as fuck sometimes.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017

You're not wrong that it was more socially acceptable back then but I still think that its not good excuse or worth defending him with.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Man it's like you aren't reading the whole thing.

I never said Kevin should still host or that he shouldn't be condemned, I said the exact opposite.

All I said was "the timing is suspect" in a paragraph long post, and someone decided to pluck that one sentence and start an argument. Go back and look at my post, I never said Kevin should get away with it.

And FYI, I work in film. I watch all the award shows, hell I've even gone to a few and some of my best friends/colleagues are in the LGBTQ+ community.

It's like some of y'all just take one comment out of context and spin the whole fucking thing. It's annoying as fuck sometimes.

No, lol, you're rushing to defend a man who spewed hate speech.

That's why people are calling you out.